Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2012 - The Essential Guide To Car Camping

Default Re: Coachella 2012 - The Essential Guide To Car Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin da DnB Soulja View Post
    I use a solar set up that powers everything. Use a jump starter battery and use an inverter to use the solar set up directly.
    What wattage is the solar panel? They can get pretty pricey for big ones. This is a 5 watt and will basically keep the deep cycle battery from dying. I didn't think the 5 watts would be enough for lights, etc.

What do you mean by a jump starter battery? One of those jumper boxes?
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), '14 (w1) and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

Quote Originally Posted by SeantheJeweler View Post
    What wattage is the solar panel? They can get pretty pricey for big ones. This is a 5 watt and will basically keep the deep cycle battery from dying. I didn't think the 5 watts would be enough for lights, etc.

What do you mean by a jump starter battery? One of those jumper boxes?
    http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...-Energy-Thread

45watt solar panel set up to power wagan station
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

dustin, as others have said already, this thread is outstanding. thank you so much for organizing it like this

Quote Originally Posted by SeantheJeweler View Post
    Also as far as food goes I like to do most of what has already been mentioned but few things I like that aren't mentioned:

Pre-Cooked ribs - for those who want to have something really good for one day make some ribs and put them in vacuum seal bags and then just open them up and heat on the grill and add bbq sauce

Fruit - cut up any type of fruit and freeze it before the fest and then you can eat it all festival long (I think grapes were mentioned which are my favorite, blueberries good too but give you blue fingers

Veggies - Potatoes, onion and peppers for brats, etc also cut up before you leave to avoid trying to do it while you are under the influence of your drink/drug of choice

Finding your campsite: they have street names which helps but when trying to direct your friends to your camp site a flag or some sort of marker usually does wonders. I own a large red metal fat tire beer sign that we mark our camp with along with our ASU flag so people can always find us. And yes we do bring fat tire in cans

I'm sure I will think of some more stuff
    great idea on the ribs! fat tire cans ftw! was drinkin fat tire all weekend last year and plan to do more of the same in 11ish weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Cactuskev View Post
    Get one of those magnetic keyholders that you can hide a key in, so you can lock your vehicle and leave the key with it. The you don't have to worry about losing your keys - plus the other people in your party can have access to the car if you get separated or they return to camp early.
    Oh this! Last year our neighbors did this and it worked out well for them. Since we will have two cars this year, we will put all of the items we might need to share/get to in one car so we will need a magnetic key holder for that one. Then we don't get stuff stolen from both cars.

Has anyone camped sleeping directly on the ground or on the hood / bed of their car. Where people getting sunburned or having problems with bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by bmalkins View Post
    Has anyone camped sleeping directly on the ground or on the hood / bed of their car. Where people getting sunburned or having problems with bugs?
    I slept in an open truck bed last year and I was able to sleep just as well as my friends who slept under the canopy. The sun will wake you up but generally I slept to about 9:30ish. My friends woke up usually just before or just after I did. No bugs and no sunburn but you wont be able to sleep under the sun long enough to get burned.

Talking Re: Coachella 2012 - The Essential Guide To Car Camping

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Dustin, thank you for putting this together! I remember HOW LONG I spent on the boards last year to find all the same info.

Personally, we brought a lot of food that was pre-cooked and could be eaten cold to avoid having to cook. Things like sandwiches, including cold cuts, egg salad, peanut butter and jelly (make sure it's not in a glass bottle!). Cold pasta salad was good. And then we brough ingredients for fresh guac (Pico de Gallo, Avocados, blend of spices in a ziplock, and lime) and made fresh guac and chips. Then of course we brought a bunch of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, carrots, GRAPES- which cold, were' a HUGE hit) and alcohol fruit (vodka watermelon ice cold in the afternoon was AMAZING. Plus we shared with neighbors and made a ton of friends. We plan to add rum soaked Pineapple this year).

Most of the time it was so hot, we didn't want to put too much effort into making food. I saw a few people making food, but it just seemed way too hot and too much effort. I DID get a Pink's hot dog one day and a gyro another day to try some of the food. That way we saved money, but got to try a couple different tents.
    Thanks for the info.
    Coachella '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '12

Quote Originally Posted by jefferie View Post
    I slept in an open truck bed last year and I was able to sleep just as well as my friends who slept under the canopy. The sun will wake you up but generally I slept to about 9:30ish. My friends woke up usually just before or just after I did. No bugs and no sunburn but you wont be able to sleep under the sun long enough to get burned.
    excellent thanks for the info

electrolyte.jpg

this. packets are nice to bring in the festival and add to your water refill. i dont drink alcohol during the festival, but i still need to stay hydrated these seam to work nice.
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Ya awesome list! Only thing i was going to say to add was a lantern. Ours broke last year and it SUCKED. We couldn't find our flashlights because it was too dark without the lantern.

Good thing to remember about the side tarps is to take them down when not blocking the sun. They keep the sun off of you but they also trap hot air in. Around noon when the sun was directly above us we took them down and it would get much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    These Coleman LED string lights were the MVP in my camp last year. There were cheap, used one set of batteries all weekend, & gave off a great light. I'm bringing 4 or 5 this year.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...5#.TxsheoG7-So
    fixed link:
    http://www.coleman.com/product/2000001475#.T1pPxdlqSVo

thanks for the heads up, im definitely grabbing one or two of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMagnanimous View Post
    If you escaped what I escaped, you'd be at coachella getting fucked up too.

Thanks so much. This is my first Coachella and I will be flying in from Boston. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about getting a canopy, which I'd really like to have. I think the weight limit per bag is like 50 pounds, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ReveurConstant View Post
    Thanks so much. This is my first Coachella and I will be flying in from Boston. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about getting a canopy, which I'd really like to have. I think the weight limit per bag is like 50 pounds, right?
    Not sure where I saw it, but someone mentioned ordering one through WalMart for pickup at the Indio Walmart. You can get a cheaper one and then just donate it when you're done.

Food4Less canopy - $20 bucks.

Let the gods do what they want with it after the weekend is over

Bump

First year car camper...

What's the deal with driving stakes in the ground? Can I lay down some rebar to build a shade structure? Of course ends will be protected from foot and leg gouging.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanawi View Post
    First year car camper...

What's the deal with driving stakes in the ground? Can I lay down some rebar to build a shade structure? Of course ends will be protected from foot and leg gouging.
    YEAH. REBAR. DUMB IDIOT.

Do they card when your going into car camping ?

fucks sake^
    where do we begin

What is the highest number of people you could logically cram in one car camping spot? We were trying to fit 12-13. Is that ridiculous?
    Last edited by noneedlessnoise; 04-09-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Yes

How many do you think we could fit?

Depends how you sleep.

Site is 10x30.
    Car is 7x14.

Leaves 3-4' x 14' and 16'x 10' space open.

Humans are 1.5' x 6'
    Bring wood and make bunk beds

I see youre online now... you did car camping last year? How many people were able to fit on the 10x30 space comfortably?

Thanks!

It would depend on if you are mexican or not.

Where would one find HydraLyte?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

Quote Originally Posted by alima View Post
    I see youre online now... you did car camping last year? How many people were able to fit on the 10x30 space comfortably?

Thanks!
    this question has a lot more weight than what you're telling us. Are you all camping in one huge tent? or does everyone have their own tent? do you guys want room to hang out or just room for tents?
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Hey gang-

SARONGS are not SO WRONG, BUT SO COOL!

I highly recommend bringing sarongs. Sarongs are very versatile and I can guarantee you they will come in handy.

Here are some ways you can use a sarong:

1. Shade - Hang a sarong from your canopy or tarp to create shade. This will also make your site look better if you have a cool design or pattern.

2. Wrap - No, not around your waist like at the beach, but around your back to keep you warm or show off the design/pattern.

3. Blanket - Lots of grass = lots of picnic and setup camp using a sarong.

4. Towel - Use it to change in the camp site. Use it at the showers to dry you off. Because sarongs are thin, they dry very fast.

5. Head wrap - wrap it around your head at the festival and drench it with water to keep you cool.

6. Flag - represent where you are from and show off your flag or design.

Because sarongs are very thin and compact, you don't have to worry about it taking up a lot of space at the festival. It will fit in your purse or pocket without you even knowing it's there.

I have a lot of California Bear flags, Mexican flags, Tie Dye Sarongs, MINI sheer wraps for pool parties.

I am bringing a makeshift flag pole and will have two sarongs hanging high above my camp site.

If you're interested please email me - customsarongs@gmail.com

www.customsarongs.com

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotoats View Post
    Where would one find HydraLyte?
    Check Big 5, Walmart and/or REI
    COACHELLA 2014

Im excited about the fact that for all the weekend 1 people out there,we can sleep in those tents for a few more hrs considering the weather will not be insanely hot this year!

Paul is dead