Thread: Help I'm a Coachella newbie!

Lurker

Default Help I'm a Coachella newbie!

Hello all. My names Josh and I'm new to the boards. 22 year old from the UK.

I was just hoping you lovely people could help me with a few little things. I'm going to my first Coachella in April with my friend Emily and we're going to be flying over from London and hoped you could set me (us) on the best path of planning so our week away isn't a disappointment - pretty sure it won't be!

Firstly, the whole camping situation bemused me slightly. It's much simpler here in England anyway. Basically I wondered can you get into the campsite for free? We only got General Passes as Camping passes were sold out. Say, my friend and I met people who said we could camp with them (theoretically) would we be fine getting into the campsite without "passes" for it? *hint, hint*

Secondly, can you buy camping passes off of people or do they come with the ticket and thus are not for re-sale?

Thirdly, off-site camping, any recommendations?!

Finally, I hope you all have a great time. I am personally extremely excited. I watched last years with massive envy on YouTube seeing Arcade Fire, Mumford, The Swell Season & Bright Eyes all perform on the same night wishing I was there! This year I can't wait for the Saturday with Jeff Mangum, The Shins, Radiohead & especially Bon Iver! Though there are lots of great acts throughout the three days.

If anyone can help, I'd also like to hear of any bands/artists you'd recommend I go see over the course of the weekend. Always up for hearing about new music!

I do have one or two other questions but I don't want to throw it all in your face straight away. Would really appreciate any replies.

Default Re: Help I'm a Coachella newbie!

You can still buy a Car camping ticket if you want (would need to have a car in your spot.) The festival wristbands/passes you already have allow you to enter the campground, so you can stay there if you find someone to take you in. Camping on-site is definitely the way to go.

PLEASE look through other threads. All of your questions have been answered either on the FAQs section of Coachella or on the MASSIVE amount of threads already on the message boards.

I am not familiar with camping regulations. I am more of a hotel/condo type of person. I can recommend some artists for you to check out though.

Beirut
    St. Vincent
    Cat Power
    Mazzy Star
    Explosions in the Sky
    The Horrors
    Manchester Orchestra
    Keep Shelly in Athens

The only one of those I consider new is the last one.

Cool Re: Help I'm a Coachella newbie!

Tunes to check out:

Metronomy 1)The Looks 2)The Bay

Neon Indian 1) Future Sick 2)Polish Girl

Breakbot 1)Shades of Black

Gardens & Villa 1)Cruise Ship 2) Orange Blossom

Camping:

he covered it pretty well. Car camping is still available through calling the number on the "festival passes" page which requires having a car to put on the spot. With that in mind, getting a cab from the airport is probably going to be madness so you would probably avoid a lot of waiting and stress by renting a car. just a thought.

oh, and youll have no problem getting into the campsite as long as you have your festival wristband

Just get some Cali weed in you and drop some acid and it will all work itself out.

Don't smile too hard.
    You wanna fook on me?!

Lurker

Sorry for not reading up on the other threads! I just kinda rushed straight in to ask without thinking of that because it's all a bit hectic right now trying to sort out where to stay/flights and what not. If a mod sees feel free to remove if you deem it's not worthy!

Though I was also interested in people's opinions and was hoping to talk to anyone going too! I'd personally really like to camp on-site and so I'm hoping to bride/be-friend someone into letting us in their lives for a few nights!

For offsite camping I recommend Lake Cahuilla. I've stayed there the last 6 years. It's about 5 miles from the venue (not sure how many Kilometers). I think there are still overflow spots available if you call. More info can be found here...

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...g-alterniative

http://www.riversidecountyparks.org/...lake-cahuilla/

(760) 564-4712

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by D-BO. View Post
    Tunes to check out:

Metronomy 1)The Looks 2)The Bay

Neon Indian 1) Future Sick 2)Polish Girl

Breakbot 1)Shades of Black

Gardens & Villa 1)Cruise Ship 2) Orange Blossom

Camping:

he covered it pretty well. Car camping is still available through calling the number on the "festival passes" page which requires having a car to put on the spot. With that in mind, getting a cab from the airport is probably going to be madness so you would probably avoid a lot of waiting and stress by renting a car. just a thought.

oh, and youll have no problem getting into the campsite as long as you have your festival wristband
    Neither of us drive so car camping isn't an option. Also hoping to fly out a few days before so off site camping/hostels will be needed at some point whether we camp or not!

Thanks for the answers.

In regards to the recommendations. I'll definitely try catch Metronomy, was a big fan of their album this year. Neon Indian I quite like though haven't listened to the other two bands. Will check them out!

And in regards to the recommendations before, good shouts on Manchester Orchestra, Beirut and St. Vincent. And of course Cat Power. My friends a big Horrors fan so may end up seeing them again. But will definitely check out the others!

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    For offsite camping I recomend Lake Cahuilla. I've stayed there the last 6 years. It's about 5 miles from the venue (not sure how many Kilometers). I think there are still overflow spots available if you call. More info can be found here...

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...g-alterniative
    Thank you very much! I will look into this now.

You may want to go into the Carpool section in this forum, and see if you can get a ride to the festival, since you don't drive it's REALLY hard to move around Los Angeles and to get from LAX to the Polo Fields (venue)
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Check out the LineUp/Artist section for recommendations and people's opinions.
    Checkout the Camping FAQs and Off-site Camping of the Coachella.com site for info on lodging. Then look through the threads.

All of the information you are looking for is somewhere. People will be a lot harsher if you post these things normally.

Also, I would recommend first focusing on where you're going to stay. Then Carpool. Then Lineup. And don't stress too much. Everything WILL work out and you will have an amazing time.

Lurker

Once we've booked the flights in the next few weeks I may resort to the Carpool section and see if anyone can help out. No point worrying or pestering anyone yet without any specific dates.

Thanks for the help though. Appreciate it, and also the messages I got from people willing to help. The board has been very helpful to me thus far!