Thread: Right - Amercia/Coachella Virgin coming from Oz - Need advice from Veterans!

Default Right - Amercia/Coachella Virgin coming from Oz - Need advice from Veterans!

Hi guys,

Myself and a couple of girls are heading over from Oz for Coachella and need some assistance on one or two things. If anyone an give me any assistance I'll find you on the day and buy you a beer. That's a promise.

Firstly, We've only got Gen Admission which I understand is cool cos there'll be some kind soul that will let us camp with them. I'm happy to send a few dollars/beers/unmentionables their way in return. What I do need to know is whether our plan is the best bet or should we look at something else.

* Fly into LAX and stay in a hotel in downtown LA on the Wednesday.
    * Greyhound it on the Thursday morning to Indio
    * Set up camp and kill myself for four days on the spin
    * Greyhound it back on the Monday afternoon and Fly back to Oz that evening.

Any info you can provide on getting alcohol into the venue etc would be magic. Also, any tips from those of you that have been there and done it would be perfect.

I know it seems f*cking mental to fly 14 hours for a glorified long weekend, but the line up it too good to miss (Noel Gallagher, Kasabian, Arctics, Pulp, Radiohead, David Guetta, Kaisers and Swedish House Mafia are a few of the acts I'm there for). What I suppose I need to make sure is that I'm not wasting any time whilst I'm there and that I've got all bases covered so to speak.

So please people, make this 3 and a half grand investment worth it for me - I hear that is part of the "Coachella Spirit" and I'd be massively thankful for any info you can give me

Much Love x

Default Re: Right - Amercia/Coachella Virgin coming from Oz - Need advice from Veterans!

So the Land of Oz is a real place than?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Default Re: Right - Amercia/Coachella Virgin coming from Oz - Need advice from Veterans!

Yup, and I plan on being the Wizard. At least for a few days in April anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesLochrie View Post
    Hi guys,

Myself and a couple of girls are heading over from Oz for Coachella and need some assistance on one or two things. If anyone an give me any assistance I'll find you on the day and buy you a beer. That's a promise.

Firstly, We've only got Gen Admission which I understand is cool cos there'll be some kind soul that will let us camp with them. I'm happy to send a few dollars/beers/unmentionables their way in return. What I do need to know is whether our plan is the best bet or should we look at something else.

* Set up camp and kill myself for four days on the spin
    * Greyhound it back on the Monday afternoon and Fly back to Oz that evening.

Any info you can provide on getting alcohol into the venue etc would be magic. Also, any tips from those of you that have been there and done it would be perfect.

I know it seems f*cking mental to fly 14 hours for a glorified long weekend, but the line up it too good to miss (Noel Gallagher, Kasabian, Arctics, Pulp, Radiohead, David Guetta, Kaisers and Swedish House Mafia are a few of the acts I'm there for). What I suppose I need to make sure is that I'm not wasting any time whilst I'm there and that I've got all bases covered so to speak.

So please people, make this 3 and a half grand investment worth it for me - I hear that is part of the "Coachella Spirit" and I'd be massively thankful for any info you can give me

Much Love x
    Sounds about right. You more than likely will not have a problem getting someone to "adopt" you in their campsite. Maybe they will have extra camping gear as I assume you will not be bringing much if any with you. Post in the camping thread and you will probably get lucky. You may even find someone with a camping pass, extra gear and a ride to and from LAX. It very well could happen.

You can bring in alcohol but no glass container and they may confiscate some it if you try to bring in an inordinate amount. Basically be coherent and respectful during the car search and you should be OK.

Coachella is absolutely worth the long flight, the expense, the headache of planning and ten times all that! You will be happily blown away!

Connect with someone in the Camping thread and they will help you sort it all out.

Trust me, it'll be all worth the recycled air you breathed in for 14 hours.

Hi guys,
    Downtown LA isn't particularly convenient to LAX, unfortunately, and the area around the greyhound station kinda sucks for staying in.

Depending on what time you're getting in to LAX, I'd recommend getting yourself out to Claremont (about 20 miles east of downtown LA) and catching the Greyhound there.

why not just rent a car at LAX? Split between a few people the cost can't be that different than all the transport you'd otherwise need. You'll pay over $40 each for round trip greyhound from Downtown LA to Indio. Plus it's $7 each way on flyaway shuttle from LAX to downtown LA. Any difference in cost (again, split between a few people) has to be worth the saved hassle and freedom to do things on your own schedule.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Ya a taxi going to downtown la will cost you $60. Also, Indio/La Quinta isn't exactly public transport friendly, so you would likely have to take a cab from the bus station to the polo fields as well. We aren't as lucky with trams and such as you have in Australia. I would personally look into renting a car if that is at all an option. I know the "other side of the road" will be an issue, but I think it will be a lot more convenient and smoother than dealing with cabs and buses. Otherwise, a lot of people come in on the same days into Lax or perhaps you can even find a ride on the boards somewhere as suggested above.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1+2], 13[1+2]

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant567 View Post
    Ya a taxi going to downtown la will cost you $60. Also, Indio/La Quinta isn't exactly public transport friendly, so you would likely have to take a cab from the bus station to the polo fields as well. We aren't as lucky with trams and such as you have in Australia. I would personally look into renting a car if that is at all an option. I know the "other side of the road" will be an issue, but I think it will be a lot more convenient and smoother than dealing with cabs and buses. Otherwise, a lot of people come in on the same days into Lax or perhaps you can even find a ride on the boards somewhere as suggested above.
    If they're planning to camp and don't have a car camping pass, there's basically nothing which can be done with the car.

Cab from the bus station to the polo fields isn't that bad.

Actually, it might be worth looking at the cost of a taxi the whole way - that split n ways might be better than n* the cost of the greyhound ticket.

They could just buy their own car camping pass. You can call frontgate and add it to an order.

And Taxi from LAX to Indio is NOT a good tip.
    ______

A taxi to Indio from LAX is going to run like $400-450 for one way, that is probably not an advisable choice. Obviously they are camping, so they have to haul all the gear or whatever they have out there, which may or may not fit in a standard cab.

I think rental is a good way to go. If you are crashing someone's spot you could easily add a companion spot to your order [they are still available according to the website for $25]. So I would try calling FrontGate and adding one of those onto your order if you decide to rent a car. This way you can take your time, be in your own car, and not worry about schedules and the hassle. Lots of people are willing to let you crash in their camp spots, so adding a companion shouldn't be too difficult.
    Last edited by Redundant567; 01-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1+2], 13[1+2]

Red face Re: Right - Amercia/Coachella Virgin coming from Oz - Need advice from Veterans!

Taking a taxi sounds like a TERRIBLE idea!

I would rent a car. You could bring less baggage on your flight and instead, stop at a Walmart or something on your way down if you had a car. Then you could have such necessary things to trade with. However, a camping ticket is only about $80, so if you're going to spend a ton of money on the trip over, you might as well have a for sure camp spot. Buy a cheap $30 tent at Walmart and bring the sleeping bags with you. Or even easier, forget a tent. I slept in the back of my friend's truck last year and that worked out well. Also, the car option gives you a place to lock up your belongings while you're sleeping or in the festival. Having your passport or something stolen while you are bumming with random people would be a major buzz kill.

You can still purchase a car camping site via Frontgate if you have your ticket order number.

See you in April!

Here's an in-between solution. Rent a car one way from LAX to PSP (Palm Springs Airport). You can get one thru Avis for under $150 or so for 24 hours. Take all your gear and drop off your peeps at Coachella and one person would need to return the car to Palm Springs Airport. From there, you can take a public bus back to Coachella. Reverse to get back to LAX.

Lugging around all your gear and luggage to your hotel, then to the bus station, then from the Indio bus station to Coachella after a long flight will be hell. This way, get the car, find a hotel on the way or just drive all the way into La Quinta. Get a good nights sleep and get to Coachella bright and early on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluck View Post
    Here's an in-between solution. Rent a car one way from LAX to PSP (Palm Springs Airport). You can get one thru Avis for under $150 or so for 24 hours. Take all your gear and drop off your peeps at Coachella and one person would need to return the car to Palm Springs Airport. From there, you can take a public bus back to Coachella. Reverse to get back to LAX.

Lugging around all your gear and luggage to your hotel, then to the bus station, then from the Indio bus station to Coachella after a long flight will be hell. This way, get the car, find a hotel on the way or just drive all the way into La Quinta. Get a good nights sleep and get to Coachella bright and early on Thursday.
    That's not an in-between solution.

Why on earth would you go through all that extra hassle if you could just rent a car at LAX weds - mon for much, much less? A quick five second search on Kayak just showed full size for less than $200 including taxes. No need to make something extremely simple into something extraordinarily complicated.
    ______

Quote Originally Posted by Redundant567 View Post
    A taxi to Indio from LAX is going to run like $400-450 for one way, that is probably not an advisable choice.
    As opposed to $25/person for the greyhound ticket. You're right, that's not a good choice.

I think rental is a good way to go. If you are crashing someone's spot you could easily add a companion spot to your order [they are still available according to the website for $25].
    I'm impressed that they're still available; they sold out very early last year.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Taking a taxi sounds like a TERRIBLE idea!
    You can still purchase a car camping site via Frontgate if you have your ticket order number.
    If that's true, adding a car camping site and then renting a car is the best option.

So, about the booze ... there's no real trick to getting it in as it's allowed to be brought in. The only rules are no glass and technically no hard booze. The easy solution there is to just pour your hard liquor into a plastic container. We brought vodka last year to make bloody mary's with and we put it into a plastic 1 gal. water (after dumping the water out obviously). Security checked our stuff pretty good and saw much more than 1 case of beer and all they asked was if we had any glass. We said no and they took a quick look through the cooler to verify and then we were on our way.

Their goal is to just make sure no idiots break a bunch of glass on the fields.

Check your PM

old school

I know how inconsistentaly act go down under on "world tours" that it's not a crazy idea in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    As opposed to $25/person for the greyhound ticket. You're right, that's not a good choice.

I'm impressed that they're still available; they sold out very early last year.
    That's strange because the companion lot (although stated with limited availability) only filled up 1/2 way last year. Unless your group is one of the first in line at the campsite early Thursday AM, then you have a VERY long haul ahead of you from the Companion Lot. Maybe 3 miles, at least it will seem like it, lugging all your gear to the outcast city know as Tent Only campers...
    Last edited by billtino; 01-18-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

I'm assuming by venue you mean into the actual venue. Booze is a-ok in the campgrounds, but they wont let you bring outside food or bevs into the actual venue. Not even full bottles of "water" or whathaveyou. I've managed a flask under my skirt once, but that's all.

And yea, you'll probably start making that $3,000 investment every year.

^^ameteur drunk
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Rent a car - if you are unable...meet up with someone on this board and see if you can pay for gas $, give sexual favors, drugs or all the above.
    Greyhound isn't a bad option....buy the tickets BOTH WAYS in advance so you don't end up with a SOLD OUT sign above the bus you were wanting.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Someone suggested you add car camping - do it.
    The 3 of you could rent a car for a few days or you can find someone who has a ticket, but no camping pass.

Bam.

Also, taxis from LA to any part of local LA are minimum of $50, so they will rape your money out of your pockets if you're going to Indio. You'll be able to find a ride and someone who needs gas money to take off. You could stay a little further east to ensure an easier trip in the AM for Indio.

You should also specify what weekend
    Last edited by Mugwog; 01-23-2012 at 12:11 PM.

We are a small band of traveling aussies also. We are attending the 2nd weekend. We are staying in LA for a night then hiring a car & driving down.
    If all goes according to plan we will be hiring a SUV & may have room to squeeze you in. If you are stuck shoot me a msg & we will see what we can arrange. More than happy to help out fellow invaders from Oz !