Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Gotye

Default Re: Gotye

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I'm probably underestimating the draw of The Weeknd or getting a good spot for Justice
    Or the draw to just DO NOTHING which is what a lot of people seem to waste their time doing at Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueJay View Post
    (my fav song that he plays live)
    what's your favorite that he doesn't play?

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Or the draw to just DO NOTHING which is what a lot of people seem to waste their time doing at Coachella
    You're right, they were probably all catching Spicy Pie's set in the food court.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

I liked him on SNL. Most performances on there are shit, but his was pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I liked him on SNL. Most performances on there are shit, but his was pretty good.
    he was really good, but I wish he picked a second song that showcased his skills as a percussionist better. And I really wish he didn't always sing with his eyes closed, I mean one of his songs is named "Eyes Wide Open", after all!

he was really good, but I wish he picked a second song that showcased his skills as a percussionist better. And I really wish he didn't always sing with his eyes closed, I mean one of his songs is named "Eyes Wide Open", after all!
    I was thinking that when he played it on SNL too! Great avatar, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by paperdoll78 View Post
    I was thinking that when he played it on SNL too! Great avatar, btw.
    thanks! I was just thinking that it was time for a change though.

I wouldn't say I was shocked to see half the tent clear out. It's typical of pretty much any festival where one of the performers is a "one hit wonder" and most of the audience is only there to hear that one song. I knew it would happen, Gotye knew it would happen and so did Goldenvoice and pretty much everyone else in the tent. I would have loved for everyone at coachella to enjoy his set as much as we did, but then I wouldn't have been able to get such a great spot. I did think that he would have been able to hold a crowd a little better since there really wasn't that much else going on during his set that would typically compete with him, but I'm probably underestimating the draw of The Weeknd or getting a good spot for Justice.

When I saw Gotye at Terminal 5, Somebody was the 3rd or 4th song he played, so I don't think he ever closes his sets with that song, and honestly it's not a really closer anyways. 'I feel better' is a much better song to end a set on and I really did feel better when most of the fickle fans had left. I would have loved to be closer for State of the Art and Eyes Wide Open, but since I saw him a few weeks before, I got over it pretty quickly.
    Yea, you are probably right. I was naive to think it wouldn't happen. I guess I was also thinking - where are all of these people going who left early? To catch the rest of Justice? To get a good spot for Calvin Harris? It didn't seem like he had any competition just based on how the schedule worked out. I'm a big fan of Eyes Wide Open as well.

I will add that I did leave some sets early at Coachella - mainly if the band was horrible (Greg Ginn, Atari Teenage Riot). But generally I try to stay through the whole set of a band if possible, unless there is a massive conflict.
    Coachella 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2, 15.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14

i don't understand the dislike for greg ginn... i thought his set was neat. you need musical endurance to truly enjoy it... guess you weren't around for throbbing gristle to be disciplined.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by reijk View Post
    ...except none of the people were really listening to the music. They were just talking to each other and it got to the point where I could here the band from the next tent over more than Gotye.
    I was there before the set started and chose to stand off to the side where I could still see the screen and all of a sudden came the groups of people walking in front trying to weave their way in closer. It was annoying but it was happening all weekend so I was used to it. But what pissed me off more than anything was the group of 3 people who shoved their way into the small space in front of me and proceeded to yap throughout the entire time they were there. They weren't even LISTENING!! And what was worse was that it made it harder for ME to listen. Then THE song starts to play and one of the girls (typically) yells "OMG I love this song" and I shout "OMG REALLY?!". The people around me laughed and one of the three had the decency to look embarrassed. They taped the song on their phones and when the song was over they left. I'm not a die hard fan of Gotye, but I really do enjoy his music. There were plenty of songs I didn't know but that I appreciated b/c it sounded great live. I just don't understand how people can be so rude
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Life's tough. Sacrifices have to be made. Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

This crowd - I was in the cluster between the Sahara and Mojave - was the worst. "Is this the song?" "Did he play the song yet?" etc etc followed by a sea of smartphones in the air all the way to the back of the tent. The end of his set was great though and I got an excellent spot for Beirut.

Even though I wanted to check this guy out I knew it was going to be a waste unless you were up front, I kind of hate singles for doing this to performances at festivals, same with M83, avoided that act like the plague simply because I knew it would be a cluster fuck full of rude people
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    Even though I wanted to check this guy out I knew it was going to be a waste unless you were up front, I kind of hate singles for doing this to performances at festivals, same with M83, avoided that act like the plague simply because I knew it would be a cluster fuck full of rude people
    smart move! you saved yourself a headache for sure. sucks that jackholes had to put a damp spot on such an enjoyable performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Life's tough. Sacrifices have to be made. Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

I'm way too fucking upset that that majority of the videos on youtube for week 2 are of "Somebody". STATE OF THE ART WAS THE FUCKING SHIT.
    Dumbass crowd leaving after somebody was way disrespectful. I waited front row center to watch his entire set, and for beirut. Gotye's ENTIRE set was magical beyond belief.

I will admit that I was a little nervous about his set, I have been a fan for a few years and his early live performances were sometimes a bit shaky. But I honestly thought he was brilliant. it was very different to the last time I saw him when he played with a full band but the guys he had up there were great ! I couldn't give a shit about bandwagoners who jump off early, to be honest I was so into I barely noticed. I came over all patriotic and shit and was just proud of his performance and the way he carried himself. He really is just a nice dude and humble artist, should be more like him.

State of the Art, along with that sampled sax at the end of the show were both fucking incredible. I can't wait t see him again.

When I watched their set, I was a little unsure of what to expect. I had not listened to any of their other music (except the obvious) and was blown away by their set. Even closing with "STYUTK" was fairly surreal; could only hear the crowd signing the chorus.
    "Moove yuoor ooss, yuoo-a doonkey!"

State of the Art
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Very nice job on the video. I think I'm going to be spending some time on your website.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    Very nice job on the video. I think I'm going to be spending some time on your website.
    Might take a while for me to post my vids from this year's Coachella on my website, but my entire archive from Coachella 2007 - 2011 is all there.

I think the saddest part for me was just after Somebody he tried to start a singalong and couldn't get too many people to join in because they were all leaving. He said something like "well this isn't going to work" or some other defeated thing along those lines. (Weekend 1)

Quote Originally Posted by lindysindie View Post
    I think the saddest part for me was just after Somebody he tried to start a singalong and couldn't get too many people to join in because they were all leaving. He said something like "well this isn't going to work" or some other defeated thing along those lines. (Weekend 1)
    His mistake was trying to get the guys to sing when most of the fans there were probably women. Here's video of it.

Save Me

The singalong to "Save Me" worked pretty well on weekend 2 even though a lot of people left after "Somebody..." The singalong was one of my favorite moments of the weekend. I think because he played another song while everyone was leaving. Maybe it was a lesson learned from Weekend 1. Just like in theatre, the 2nd performance is usually a little better than opening day. Just sayin'.
    Coachella 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2012

Lurker

I didn't even stick around for the 3rd song.
    Most of the people around me were talking about "that guy with that one song" ... "we're just going to leave after they play it anyways"
    Which made my first gotye experience pretty lame.
    There was no hope getting in the tent and the crowd passing by was more irritating than expected.
    I left.
    Danced my way to Justice.

A crackhead in the TL on Saturday morning serenaded my friends and I with "Somebody I Used to Know."

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

What are the chances that Gotye headlines next year, you guys?

0% because he still isn't headliner status yet. If he releases another successful album then a strong maybe
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Even after another successful album it would be 0%. After two more successful albums and an added fourth day to the festival it would be .5%.

So youre saying that a Coachella with the following is out of the question?

Foster the People
    Gotye
    Mumford and Sons

seriously?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Very big reaction to singles but not a hardcore devoted following yet.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl