Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotye

Default Re: Gotye

I saw him live in December, when he has his full backing band ( 10 muso's required to accurately reproduce the record live ) the band do sing all back up. He does sometimes tour with a scaled down live show. This smaller group is only 4 or so guys.

gotye is foster the people of '12(hype won't last as long)the album is eh..tracks 2-4 are good and the rest are pretty weak...very weak
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Definitely a great find. I knew 'Somebody That I Used to Know' before the lineup but actually looked into the full album once the lineup was released. I love it. And I've heard that Making Mirrors isn't even his best album. Is this information accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    gotye is foster the people of '12(hype won't last as long)the album is eh..tracks 2-4 are good and the rest are pretty weak...very weak
    wow man, i was sure that i liked gotye. apparently he is weak and over-hyped. thanks for setting me straight.

get the FUCK out of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

srs. gotye =/= ftp
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

gotye is foster the people of 2012 in terms of little guy getting the hype, but he's light years better than them.

i'm not even a HUGE fan of his but lots of songs on the newest album are good (even ones past the first 4). my favorite is actually State of the Art, and i'm glad someone posted the video on the first page cause i hadn't seen it yet and loved it. there are a handful of great tracks at the end of the album as well. the only one that annoys me is fucking Save Me cause it sounds exactly like Rebecca Black's "Friday" at the beginning and immediately makes me want to turn it off.

saw him thursday night at the el rey. had his core backup band, and they still sung backup vocals as other people have mentioned. it sounded fine. they were fun live, the audience was eating it up, and even tho Kimbra wasn't there, the girls still helped out. FF to 2:15

he better be in mojave at the very least. his el rey show sold out two months in advance. he easily could have sold out a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    gotye is foster the people of 2012 in terms of little guy getting the hype, but he's light years better than them.
    I would say that's just a matter of preference, and opinion

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post

i'm not even a HUGE fan of his but lots of songs on the newest album are good (even ones past the first 4). my favorite is actually State of the Art, and i'm glad someone posted the video on the first page cause i hadn't seen it yet and loved it. there are a handful of great tracks at the end of the album as well. the only one that annoys me is fucking Save Me cause it sounds exactly like Rebecca Black's "Friday" at the beginning and immediately makes me want to turn it off.

saw him thursday night at the el rey. had his core backup band, and they still sung backup vocals as other people have mentioned. it sounded fine. they were fun live, the audience was eating it up, and even tho Kimbra wasn't there, the girls still helped out. FF to 2:15

he better be in mojave at the very least. his el rey show sold out two months in advance. he easily could have sold out a few more.
    You should put this in the tell us about the the 2012 Lineup thread! good writeup.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenstrangers View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenstrangers View Post
    did this really need to be spelled out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
    Definitely a great find. I knew 'Somebody That I Used to Know' before the lineup but actually looked into the full album once the lineup was released. I love it. And I've heard that Making Mirrors isn't even his best album. Is this information accurate?
    Correct. Like drawing blood is his best work.

Agreed - Like Drawing Blood is my pick. Maybe not as accessible on the first few spins but a more consistent & superior effort IMO.

Tessa and others, thanks for correcting my error in thinking his band does not sing backup. I am glad to be proven wrong on this and look forward to seeing Gotye at Coachella!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandeathgrip View Post
    Agreed - Like Drawing Blood is my pick. Maybe not as accessible on the first few spins but a more consistent & superior effort IMO.
    finally got off the making mirrors train and started listening to like drawing blood today. your assessment is pretty spot-on so far. listen #3 and it's really starting to grow on me. still not as fun or poppy as mirrors, but it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I like what I heard so far. But I have a feeling come Coachella time I will have heard "Somebody I Used to Know" way too many times before. Am curious though to see how his other songs hold up live.
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit

Quote Originally Posted by manalive! View Post
    Correct. Like drawing blood is his best work.
    I see we are seeing alot of similar people at coachella. Good stuff!
    -Zach

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    Approaching 50 million views in a month. Not bad.

KCRW has been playing Gotye on repeat for quite sometime now, but it wasn't till I heard "State of the Art" that I finally broke down and bought the album. Personally, "Save Me" is my favorite song, puts a big lump in my throat. The whole thing is really good if you give it a chance and have the ability to appreciate a wide range of music.

So far, this will be my "do no miss" at Coachella.

Hearts a Mess has caught my attention over the last couple of days and can't get the song out of my head. This is definitely a "do not miss" for Coachella. I'm so glad I was introduced to this guy!
    '10, '11, '12(W1), '13(W1), '14(W1)*

2013:
    Nine Inch Nails 11/09 | RJD2 11/15
    2014:
    Coachella #1 04/11-13

Quote Originally Posted by HedNoiZe801 View Post

Hearts a Mess has caught my attention over the last couple of days and can't get the song out of my head. This is definitely a "do not miss" for Coachella. I'm so glad I was introduced to this guy!
    This is my favourite track , and just a brilliant thing to witness live

Just watched this at work and I'm stifling sobs.

Kind of like Gotye's version of Toy Story 3.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Definitely feelin me some Gotye..i had only heard the Kimbra collab prior to pokin around in here. Sunday is already going to be hectic between Metronomy, Gardens & Villa, Noisia, Doctor P/Flux, Modeselektor, Florence, ATDI and Snoop/Dre..but ill do my best to make time for a song or two

http://www.songkick.com/artists/5392...alendar?page=3 -- Kimbra is joining him on tour the week before Coachella, which i think pretty much guarantees her appearance! Will be fantastic to see them perform Somebody That I Used to Know live together

I suspect there will be a bunch of swooning chicks at this thing....I'm in!

I love him, and think he is here to stay.

definitely interested in checking him out, a friend just introduced his stuff to me; this sounds like a great daytime/sunset act

however that chem bros mashup was pretty awful in my opinion; lets hope that is not replayed at either weekend

Definitely my top pick of the festival as well. So happy to see his huge success this year!

I actually worked with him about five or six years ago (Before Like Drawing Blood) for some background music on a video I was producing. So a couple weeks ago I wrote to him to let him know I was going to be camping for both weekends and if he wants to enjoy the Chella camping vibe, he is welcome to camp at the site or at least stop by for cocktails. He actually did get back to me and thanked me for the offer - but said his schedule was going to be too jammed. Still, he took my cell just in case.

Certainly didn't expect him to take me up on the offer, but maaann that would have been cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactuskev View Post
    Definitely my top pick of the festival as well. So happy to see his huge success this year!

I actually worked with him about five or six years ago (Before Like Drawing Blood) for some background music on a video I was producing. So a couple weeks ago I wrote to him to let him know I was going to be camping for both weekends and if he wants to enjoy the Chella camping vibe, he is welcome to camp at the site or at least stop by for cocktails. He actually did get back to me and thanked me for the offer - but said his schedule was going to be too jammed. Still, he took my cell just in case.

Certainly didn't expect him to take me up on the offer, but maaann that would have been cool.
    HA! That's awesome!

I don't get it.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I don't get it.
    It's simple, you're too cool
    Coachella 2010, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-2