Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Gotye

Default Re: Gotye

I was dead center for the set standing on the cable mats.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Gotta love massive crowds that show up to hear one song then leave once it's finished.
    This was the worst of this type crowd I've ever seen. Really unbelievable, and I felt bad for Gotye.

I was sitting to the side well outside the tent, because I'm not a huge fan (he's good, but I'm not in love) and the crowd was too huge to make anything closer more worthwhile. The crowd got even bigger than I thought possible and engulfed me. This normally wouldn't bother me (just part of the deal at Coachella), except none of the people were really listening to the music. They were just talking to each other and it got to the point where I could here the band from the next tent over more than Gotye.

Then Gotye played his hit, the crowd went absolutely nuts, and exited en masse. At first I thought the show was over, but of course...it wasn't. Gotye proceeded to play several more songs that were quite solid and stuff I'd imagine people who really like the hit would like, but they weren't at all interested in experiencing the guy as a live artist.

I suppose really I just don't understand people who spend the type of money it takes to go to Coachella and aren't really in to live performances. I feel like these people would have more fun just going to a club of pop music for a fraction of the price.

Try being near the front for this set & having trains of people leaving the front after THAT song. Why take up space at the front when you just want to hear one song?! Ugh. Other than those assholes, the set was great.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Huge fan of Gotye, but absolutely TERRIBLE crowd. Who the hell tries to crowdsurf during "Somebody I Used To Know"?????? The majority of the crowd flat out leaves after that song was played, I truly feel bad for him considering how amazing a performance he put on.

"Now that that's out of the way, let's get onto the real..." I laughed. And the rest of the set was fantastic.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

All the Sahara bros had to hear the man that made it happen. There's probably 50 different edm versions of that song by now. People can do what they want even if they suck and you don't like it.

The rest of the set was only 2 songs. The whole set was really good. A good mix of live instruments and sampling.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Yeah, the set would certainly be in my top 10...guy is crazy talented. Wish he would play a theater in Texas...I'm sure it would sound even better within walls.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.

I had to leave because of the crowd, it was so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by romanticizer View Post
    I had to leave because of the crowd, it was so sad.
    That was part of the reason I left. Too crowded to see anything. I'm glad they have video screens for every stage now. That is an improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

I couldn't see anything. I'm actually into Gotye. The insult was everyone leaving after he played Somebody That I Used to Know. Fuck. By that time I had booked it and just heard it behind me. I really wanted to see him because other performances I've seen aren't so good - his eyes being closed the whole time for one. Eh.

I swore I heard him say something like "Ok, lets get this over with" then the crowd drowned everything out. Kimbra looked terrified when everyone went apeshit. I wanted to hear some of the slower songs... meh.

gotye sux ass just like all that crap in the sahara tent
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

I couldn't see but someone really crowd surfed during "Somebody That I Used to Know"? Jeez...

Gotye should've pulled a MGMT 2010 move and refused to play the big hit! HA!

Quote Originally Posted by romanticizer View Post
    I couldn't see but someone really crowd surfed during "Somebody That I Used to Know"? Jeez...
    Tried to, was trying to convince everyone standing around us to help him up, this was pretty close to the front and center. No one helped him though, it was ridiculous.

i liked his set, but was confused as to why he wasn't on the outdoor stage. and yes, after his radio hit, it seemed like half the crowd left. which was ok, cause i got there late & was able to move forward more

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    gotye sux ass just like all that crap in the sahara tent
    I will leave your opinion of his music as-is. First error to address: Gotye is nowhere close to being classified as "Sahara tent" material. Second error: Gotye played in the Mojave tent.

the reason why everyone left this show after "somebody" is the reason why i think Coachella attracts the worst fans of any festival.
    Does anybody feel this way?

I unfortunately just really found people to be "fake" music lovers overall at this festival and the gotye set really solidified that feeling for me. I had a group of girls next to me dancing the entire time during his set and screaming stuff like "I love gotye, like oh my god!", "He's so good!!" (imagine ditsy valley-girl voice) and then ditching his set 10 seconds before the single ended to get a running start back to the sahara tent. T'was quite lame. Not to mention the 500 billion cellphones that popped up during his single. Your recording is going to suck so please don't post that crap on youtube. I also had this completely idiotic fuckhead next to me screaming into his walkie talkie during the quite parts of the single.... you sir, and a complete fucking idiot...

Gotye put on an awesome show... and best part was the super amazing jam session at the very end. Thankfully most the tards had moved out by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Woofles View Post
    I also had this completely idiotic fuckhead next to me screaming into his walkie talkie during the quite parts of the single.... you sir, and a complete fucking idiot...
    tee-hee

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    tee-hee
    Impressive.

By far, the most irritating crowd I was in...I couldn't see for shit and the impatience during amazing songs like State of the Art really pissed me off. Lots of those people need to get bent. Or atleast be less obvious.

Idk why everyone is bitching about the crowd for him. I was about at the center and they seemed pretty good. One guy had brought two big blow up Australian flag beach balls, I could hear a large amount of the crowd up front singing along with all the words to multiple songs, he got the crowd to join in in more complex ways than most of the artists i had seen this weekend (making different halves of the crowd sing different parts to songs, getting them to clap along to funky offbeat rhythms, etc.). I was surprised by the amount of people who stayed after his hit and new his material and were really into it. I expected much worse of the fans judging by the sheer amount of KISS FM "music" being played in the campgrounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinaturntable5 View Post
    A girl with 5 dicks, duh

Lulz:

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by reijk View Post
    This was the worst of this type crowd I've ever seen. Really unbelievable, and I felt bad for Gotye.

I was sitting to the side well outside the tent, because I'm not a huge fan (he's good, but I'm not in love) and the crowd was too huge to make anything closer more worthwhile. The crowd got even bigger than I thought possible and engulfed me. This normally wouldn't bother me (just part of the deal at Coachella), except none of the people were really listening to the music. They were just talking to each other and it got to the point where I could here the band from the next tent over more than Gotye.

Then Gotye played his hit, the crowd went absolutely nuts, and exited en masse. At first I thought the show was over, but of course...it wasn't. Gotye proceeded to play several more songs that were quite solid and stuff I'd imagine people who really like the hit would like, but they weren't at all interested in experiencing the guy as a live artist.

I suppose really I just don't understand people who spend the type of money it takes to go to Coachella and aren't really in to live performances. I feel like these people would have more fun just going to a club of pop music for a fraction of the price.
    My thoughts exactly. I was maybe 20 rows from the front on the left side of the stage - during Somebody I Used To Know the singalong was amazing. My favorite moment of Coachella by far. I was shocked when seemingly half the crowd left right after the song ended. I thought it was totally disrepctful to Gotye, and the worst crowd behavior I could think of during the 7 years I've been going to Coachella. Gotye deserved better than that. I was surprised that Gotye didn't save that song for last to go out on a high note. Though in talking to my friends, they thought that Gotye should have played it first, to get rid of all the poser fans and leave the fans who actually want to see all of his set.

I really liked the last song he played (Learnalilgivinanlovin), and it seemed like no one else in the crowd seemed to like that song for some reason. I only recorded a few songs at Coachella this year, but that was one of the few I did record, since it seemed like no one else in the crowd was recording it. The song was upbeat, with great instruments throughout. I was surprised that more of his songs aren't in this upbeat tempo form.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2, 13.2, 14.2
    Outside Lands 10, 11, 13, 14(though not excited at all about the lineup)

I was really lucky for this show. I knew that it would be very annoying to be further back with lots of people popping in and out, so this was one of the few shows that I waited for and got a solid spot up front. Everyone around me stayed after Somebody That I Used to Know, and one guy next to me knew all the words to the unreleased US song that he played. I didnt even notice the mass exodus after he played his hit because everyone I was around was so cool and stayed the whole set. Top 5 of my 2012 acts. I have a feeling that Gotye will either stop doing fests . . . or will stop playing that song. It's a great song . . . but his other material is amazing . . . and he seems like the type of artist that doesn't want to be pigeonhold into one song. He seems like an amazing guy. He's talented, has a fucking AMAZING voice, and is just a super strong songwriter . . . so I kind of hope he doesn't let it get him bitter. He seemed upset sometimes at the show.

Gotye/The Weeknd was the worst conflict of the weekend for me. I got a good spot for Gotye, watched the first three songs, headed to the Weeknd for his last three songs (thanks Weekend 1 for the setlist!), then back to Gotye for Heart's a Mess (my fav song that he plays live). We all knew that people would leave en masse after "Somebody", he did too. All that crowd flow allowed me to get way up front after The Weeknd ended. Thanks bandwagoners!

Quote Originally Posted by gopher37 View Post
    I was shocked when seemingly half the crowd left right after the song ended. I thought it was totally disrepctful to Gotye, and the worst crowd behavior I could think of during the 7 years I've been going to Coachella. Gotye deserved better than that. I was surprised that Gotye didn't save that song for last to go out on a high note. Though in talking to my friends, they thought that Gotye should have played it first, to get rid of all the poser fans and leave the fans who actually want to see all of his set.
    I wouldn't say I was shocked to see half the tent clear out. It's typical of pretty much any festival where one of the performers is a "one hit wonder" and most of the audience is only there to hear that one song. I knew it would happen, Gotye knew it would happen and so did Goldenvoice and pretty much everyone else in the tent. I would have loved for everyone at coachella to enjoy his set as much as we did, but then I wouldn't have been able to get such a great spot. I did think that he would have been able to hold a crowd a little better since there really wasn't that much else going on during his set that would typically compete with him, but I'm probably underestimating the draw of The Weeknd or getting a good spot for Justice.

When I saw Gotye at Terminal 5, Somebody was the 3rd or 4th song he played, so I don't think he ever closes his sets with that song, and honestly it's not a really closer anyways. 'I feel better' is a much better song to end a set on and I really did feel better when most of the fickle fans had left. I would have loved to be closer for State of the Art and Eyes Wide Open, but since I saw him a few weeks before, I got over it pretty quickly.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego

when I was towards the back, I did manage to get a few good pics with my zoom though

last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    11/19 Night Terrors of 1927 at Soda Bar11/11 & 11/18 Night Terrors of 1927 at The Echo
    1/23 Dent May at The Echo1/19/14 Volcano Choir at H.o.B. San Diego