Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Real Coachella Scalpers

Hybrid View

Default The Real Coachella Scalpers

The biggest Coachella scalper of them all is Goldenvoice.

Yes...I said it. Goldenvoice.

Its a scheme for The Corporation all you little Coachellers bow down to every year.

They sold many of their tickets through ticketmaster; however, the rest of the tickets that The Corporation will be selling their tickets is the secondary market -- Stubhub.com. This is a way for The Corporation to make more money off the Coachellers. They can sell tickets they usually sell for $285 on the secondary market for $285++++. Its a good market scheme and allows The Corporation to sell at different price points on your Coachellers demand curves.

Awesome strategy by The Corporation. So when you Coachellers cry about scalpers, just remember that the biggest scalper of them all is the person (remember, Corporations are people too) putting on your event :-)

Default Re: The Real Coachella Scalpers

"Coachellers."

Im guessing you missed out on a ticket, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    "Coachellers."
    "Little Coachellers..." Do you even have a clue how long it's been since I was referred to as a little anything???
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by still_lurking View Post
    The biggest Coachella scalper of them all is Goldenvoice.

Yes...I said it. Goldenvoice.

Its a scheme for The Corporation all you little Coachellers bow down to every year.

They sold many of their tickets through ticketmaster; however, the rest of the tickets that The Corporation will be selling their tickets is the secondary market -- Stubhub.com. This is a way for The Corporation to make more money off the Coachellers. They can sell tickets they usually sell for $285 on the secondary market for $285++++. Its a good market scheme and allows The Corporation to sell at different price points on your Coachellers demand curves.

Awesome strategy by The Corporation. So when you Coachellers cry about scalpers, just remember that the biggest scalper of them all is the person (remember, Corporations are people too) putting on your event :-)

Only 285++++ ?????

What a deal! At least it isn't 285+++++

old school

Let's say GV scalped 1,000 tickets for $250 over face value each.

$250,000 is a drop in a bucket(0.5%) for a festival that just finished selling $50,000,000 worth of tickets today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Let's say GV scalped 1,000 tickets for $250 over face value each.

$250,000 is a drop in a bucket(0.5%) for a festival that just finished selling $50,000,000 worth of tickets today.
    Actually, week 1 has already sold 170 tickets on stubhub for a cost of anywhere between $550-700+. I didn't bother looking at week 2, but I assume its up there too. Since tickets sold out today, I'd say that "a shitload" more tickets will be sold on the Secondary market in places like Stubhub et al.

Also, if they made $50,000,000 today that would assume they sold over 175,000 tickets, which would be almost 90,000 people each day. This would be another Clusterfuckchella. They probably are only selling 150,000 tickets max for both weekends since last year it was supposedly maxed out at 75,000. Thats about $40 million.

If Goldenvoice can sell an extra 7,500 tickets (could easily be more) on the secondary market and claim that they sold out tickets for both weekends in 3 hours they are doing 2 things: 1] Making about $2.5 million more on the tickets (which is a 6% increase in revenue, and in the business world you don't meet your numbers, you find ways to exceed them. 6% gain is huge) AND 2]creating more demand for the following years with even shittier lineups because people are paying for the Coachella Brand that sells out quickly every year. Its all about the reputation.

Ask yourself this: If you could buy tickets on the Coachella website 3 days before the event, would it be so popular???? People want what is difficult to get.

Coachella should really be honest and have Something Corporate close out the festival each year.

Actually, week 1 has already sold 170 tickets on stubhub for a cost of anywhere between $550-700+. I didn't bother looking at week 2, but I assume its up there too. Since tickets sold out today, I'd say that "a shitload" more tickets will be sold on the Secondary market in places like Stubhub et al.

Also, if they made $50,000,000 today that would assume they sold over 175,000 tickets, which would be almost 90,000 people each day. This would be another Clusterfuckchella. They probably are only selling 150,000 tickets max for both weekends since last year it was supposedly maxed out at 75,000. Thats about $40 million.

If Goldenvoice can sell an extra 7,500 tickets (could easily be more) on the secondary market and claim that they sold out tickets for both weekends in 3 hours they are doing 2 things: 1] Making about $2.5 million more on the tickets (which is a 6% increase in revenue, and in the business world you don't meet your numbers, you find ways to exceed them. 6% gain is huge) AND 2]creating more demand for the following years with even shittier lineups because people are paying for the Coachella Brand that sells out quickly every year. Its all about the reputation.

Ask yourself this: If you could buy tickets on the Coachella website 3 days before the event, would it be so popular???? People want what is difficult to get.

Coachella should really be honest and have Something Corporate close out the festival each year.
    Ok. Got it.

old school

Billboard published a figure of roughly $25mil strictly in ticket sales for 2011. This includes 8-9,000 VIP passes.

1 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival: Kanye West, Arcade Fire, Chemical Brothers, The Strokes, Animal Collective, Kings of Leon and others Empire Polo Field
    Indio, Calif.
    April 15-17, 2011
    $24,993,698
    75,000 /
    3 /
    $699, $269
    Goldenvoice/AEG Live

Last year forum members could only track sales around 2-3,000 tickets changing hands on various craigslist, stubhub and ebay. They aren't really sold elsewhere in any notable quality. keep in mind that's counting ticket that sold for less that $100 over face value.

old school

Various camping & camping passes would have brought in a million more($3mil was my estimate). I've never seen hard numbers except I think last year there was a refernce to 8,000 tent camping spots written somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    Only 285++++ ?????

What a deal! At least it isn't 285+++++
    lol. ha ha i laugh laf laf
    2001, 2004, 2007, 2009

2013 EDM wishlish (please):

classixx, stanton warriors, logistics, jefr tale
    spencer & hill, bent, eric prydz, mike realm, nick thayer
    kruder & dorfmeister, young punx, phonat, treasure fingers
    Kraak & Smaak, sergio & benoit, kris menace, bassjackers, DJ Craze
    DIGITALISM, knifeparty, chemical brothers, bassbintwins, seth troxler

I have my tickets.

Its an observation from an economic standpoint. Also, by saying tickets are sold out, Goldenvoice is creating more of a stir.

Awesome move by The Corporation.

God Bless America and Capitalism

I have my tickets.

Its an observation from an economic standpoint. Also, by saying tickets are sold out, Goldenvoice is creating more of a stir.

So you have no proof to this theory of yours? If anyone is trying to create more of a stir, it's you by saying dumb shit you can't prove.

Capitalism is what allows you to have a computer to type on or a festival to see. Go act like an idiot on another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    So you have no proof to this theory of yours? If anyone is trying to create more of a stir, it's you by saying dumb shit you can't prove.

Capitalism is what allows you to have a computer to type on or a festival to see. Go act like an idiot on another forum.
    Nope, no proof.

Here is a list of things without proof:
    1) You are a human
    2) Anyone has landed on the moon
    3) there is life outside of Earth

If you are looking for proofs in life, then...be prepared for disappointment.

Actually there is a reflective plate that the astronauts placed on the surface of the moon. Scientists/astronomers can shine a high powered lazer on the exact spot of the plate and due to its precise shape and design, the lazer will reflect back to the earth exactly where it came from.

Coachella Weekend #1

Quote Originally Posted by bganch View Post
    Actually there is a reflective plate that the astronauts placed on the surface of the moon. Scientists/astronomers can shine a high powered lazer on the exact spot of the plate and due to its precise shape and design, the lazer will reflect back to the earth exactly where it came from.

Nope, no proof.

1) You are a human

You're just peeved because Daft Punk isn't on the poster, huh?
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

I have my tickets.

Fuck capitalism! Yeah! In a demonstration of anti-capitalism, adopt communism, where there is no property! Now your Coachella wristband belongs to everyone! Good riddance.
    Anything is possible...

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Attached Images Attached Images

They sold many of their tickets through ticketmaster
    Not this year.

Keep in mind they make money off camping, shuttles, extra cost on safari and vip tickets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Keep in mind they make money off camping, shuttles, extra cost on safari and vip tickets, etc.
    Not to mention concessions... I guarantee you that Heineken doesn't take in 100% of those $10 beers...

so who runs ''The Corporation''? I mean, this whole racket has to have a ringleader, right?

Nope, no proof.

1) You are a human

GUESS WHAT YOU IGNORANT MOTHERFUCKER. WE DONT NEED BATSHIT CRAZY IDIOTS LIKE YOU CRYING ABOUT HOW YOU DIDNT GET YOURS THIS MORNING. YOU JUST WANT TO POST FROM ANTI CAPITALIST HIGH CHAIR. CAUSE YOU AINT GETTING LAID RIGHT NOW CAUSE YOURE A FATASS PIECE OF SHIT SITTING AT HOME ON A FRIDAY AND HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TO TRY AND GET ATTENTION FROM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET..

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    so who runs ''The Corporation''? I mean, this whole racket has to have a ringleader, right?

GUESS WHAT YOU IGNORANT MOTHERFUCKER. WE DONT NEED BATSHIT CRAZY IDIOTS LIKE YOU CRYING ABOUT HOW YOU DIDNT GET YOURS THIS MORNING. YOU JUST WANT TO POST FROM ANTI CAPITALIST HIGH CHAIR. CAUSE YOU AINT GETTING LAID RIGHT NOW CAUSE YOURE A FATASS PIECE OF SHIT SITTING AT HOME ON A FRIDAY AND HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN TO TRY AND GET ATTENTION FROM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET..
    Excuse me Chris A.

You must have misunderstood the following (I'm not surprised you didn't understand it)

Nope, no proof.

1) You are a human

For those that didn't understand this (looking at you, Chris), this post was made to point out that just because there is no proof for something, it does not mean it did not happen or does not exist.

For example -- I believe 1)the person is human, 2)people have landed on the moon, 3)there is life on other planets. I used these examples because I assumed other people would see them as obvious truths and would understand the analogy. I guess I was wrong, at least with you. You aren't much for parallels.

Also, the caps make you look fatter than you are.

shit. just. got. real.

Lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

you are truly awful

The real villain is all of the people who knew they wanted to go to Coachella last June, and decided to pay the reasonable price of monthly payments every month to go to the festival. Said evil Corporation gave these people the opportunity to do so! Truly atrocious (and well planned) people, aren't many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by ADrunkPoet View Post
    The real villain is all of the people who knew they wanted to go to Coachella last June, and decided to pay the reasonable price of monthly payments every month to go to the festival. Said evil Corporation gave these people the opportunity to do so! Truly atrocious (and well planned) people, aren't many of us.
    Monthly payments are in the interest of corporations. Car companies aren't being generous to their customers when they work with finance companies to set up monthly payments. Instead, just like Coachella, they are finding innovative ways to sell their product. Its called making money.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyPrecedent View Post
    I'm glad you broke all of this down...I've just been to lazy to type it all up.

Seriously guys - he's right. I mean, it's still Coachella, and it's still gonna be hella fun - but if Goldenvoice (a subsidiary of AEG) can make 2 - 4 millions dollars more by selling to Stubhub...they will. Plain and simple. That's what they do - they make money. This isn't fuckin' Lighting In A Bottle, this isn't some fun little hippie fest...this is where the big boys come play.

I wonder where Paul Tollett ate dinner tonight?
    Paul T celebrated big time

Billboard published a figure of roughly $25mil strictly in ticket sales for 2011. This includes 8-9,000 VIP passes.

1 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival: Kanye West, Arcade Fire, Chemical Brothers, The Strokes, Animal Collective, Kings of Leon and others Empire Polo Field
    Indio, Calif.
    April 15-17, 2011
    $24,993,698
    75,000 /
    3 /
    $699, $269
    Goldenvoice/AEG Live

Last year forum members could only track sales around 2-3,000 tickets changing hands on various craigslist, stubhub and ebay. They aren't really sold elsewhere in any notable quality. keep in mind that's counting ticket that sold for less that $100 over face value.
    If ticket sales made $25M in 2011, and forum members were able track up to 3,000 tickets changing hands on the various secondary markets at well above ticket prices then we are looking at the following:

Tracking ticket sales on the secondary market is not an easy task, so its safe to assume that forum members were only able to track half of the tickets changing hands. If half of the secondary market tickets were sold by Goldenvoice and the other half were sold by your usual scalpers then --

3,000 secondary market tickets x $300 average markup = $900,000 additional revenue

$900,000 additional revenue is roughly a 4% increase in revenue for ticket prices. A 4% increase in revenue is a big deal.

If forum members were only able to track less than half the tickets sold on the secondary market, then Goldenvoice most likely made more than a 4% increase in revenue.

Good find on the numbers btw.

Even if they do $1-2millin scalper sales(huge over estimate, BTW)it's a drop in the bucket compared to the $25-30 mil they get in various tickets GV sell. Not to mention the probably $10mil+ they do in booze/food/non-band merch
    Please tell me you don't believe that a large corporation does not care about making an extra $1-2 million dollars on ticket sales, which would be a 4-8% increase in revenue on ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by foaminjectedaxlrose View Post
    Here is a really well-written article that came out after the LCD Soundsystem last show fiasco. If 'The Corporation' is fucking us, this is how and why they're doing it.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/0...etting-burned/

More likely than not, Coachella is just a popular festival. Have you ever told someone about Coachella? Yes, yes you have. When you did so, did you tell them it was okay, or did you tell them that it was the best fucking weekend ever, and that you're never going to miss it again? You told them the latter. Word of mouth travels fast, and influences people strongly. That is what happened.
    Interesting article; seems similar to what happened at Coachella this year. Coachella is able to sell their tickets on the secondary market for a large markup.

Lefsetz purports, in a step by step process, that the mastermind behind the shortage of tickets is the promoter LCD Soundsystem chose for the final concert, The Bowery Presents. In sum, Lefsetz suggests that, instead of scalpers snatching up thousands of tickets in mere seconds, The Bowery Presents withheld tickets and disseminated them to aftermarket ticketing outlets... Scalpers, in this new economic model, are fast becoming useful tools for this one promoter trying to account for the increased capital needed to fund an event marred by increased guarantees and a sagging music industry... Increased scalping activity for a show increases the perception that the concert might be more successful than it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    OP stirs up troubles and bounces. Troll thread? Or just beaten by logic and embarrassed? You decide.
    The troll is you logging in at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon. It was a nice day, and I had better things to do than sit on the Coachellers message board.

And, Lulz@your idea of logic

old school

Monthly payments are in the interest of corporations. Car companies aren't being generous to their customers when they work with finance companies to set up monthly payments. Instead, just like Coachella, they are finding innovative ways to sell their product. Its called making money.

If ticket sales made $25M in 2011, and forum members were able track up to 3,000 tickets changing hands on the various secondary markets at well above ticket prices then we are looking at the following:

Tracking ticket sales on the secondary market is not an easy task, so its safe to assume that forum members were only able to track half of the tickets changing hands. If half of the secondary market tickets were sold by Goldenvoice and the other half were sold by your usual scalpers then --

3,000 secondary market tickets x $300 average markup = $900,000 additional revenue

$900,000 additional revenue is roughly a 4% increase in revenue for ticket prices. A 4% increase in revenue is a big deal.

If forum members were only able to track less than half the tickets sold on the secondary market, then Goldenvoice most likely made more than a 4% increase in revenue.

Please tell me you don't believe that a large corporation does not care about making an extra $1-2 million dollars on ticket sales, which would be a 4-8% increase in revenue on ticket sales.

Interesting article; seems similar to what happened at Coachella this year. Coachella is able to sell their tickets on the secondary market for a large markup.
    Apparently, US banks only acknowledge interest for the 3 months prior to concert events for the money held in escrow. This is true for single concert events and may not apply to festival events. Some rules were changed a couple years ago when Live Nation sized companies were selling shows a 9-12 months in advance and making too much on the side - Live Nation lost something like 200 major shows due to cancellations in 2009.

many of the Coachella passes that were tracked last year went for mid $400 range. The numbers simply aren't as high as some think.

GV/Coachella would be horrified to be "smeared" with a scalping story. Katy Perry got some VERY negative feedback from fans when Smoking Gun published her touring rider(live nation) that more of less spelled out her siphoning tickets. Spoke with a local scalper who said business on her shows bottomed out when that went public.

Comparing LCD@MSG vs. Coachella is a bit apples and oranges. Coachella still took the better part of a week to sell out in both 2011 and 2012 editions. Unlike seated tickets, one GA has as much "street" value as another. BTW, ticket for that show on the afternoon were available under $150 on the street, meaning scalpers must have got greedy and got burned(they had to pay a premium to get the ticket in the first place.