Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 561

Thread: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

  1. #151
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,421

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    I really don't think that the main stage would shut down for Pulp. Then again I don't think Pulp will be playing the Outdoor.

  2. #152
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,486

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    I also think Amon Tobin is likely to close the Sahara, like EDC and Plastikman. It may not be dancey, but it looks to be a top-notch visual show that only really belongs in the Sahara.
    Then again, Shpongle was in the Sahara last year with their setup, but it didn't require them to close the tent and the next act started 10 minutes later.


  3. #153
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    I also think Amon Tobin is likely to close the Sahara, like EDC and Plastikman. It may not be dancey, but it looks to be a top-notch visual show that only really belongs in the Sahara.
    Then again, Shpongle was in the Sahara last year with their setup, but it didn't require them to close the tent and the next act started 10 minutes later.
    But almost all of Plastikman's set is dancy-ish music. Amon Tobin's set is 10 minutes of music, and the rest is noise. I can't really envision that in the Sahara. It could happen, but there is a very good argument against it. It seems like more of a Mojave set to me.

  4. #154
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,359

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    I think most of us are assuming Amon Tobin will be closing whatever stage he plays. If Amon Tobin closes the mojave, it would mean 3 out of 5 stages would have EDM acts closing out the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

  5. #155
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I think most of us are assuming Amon Tobin will be closing whatever stage he plays. If Amon Tobin closes the mojave, it would mean 3 out of 5 stages would have EDM acts closing out the festival.
    Amon Tobin's set isn't really EDM, though! Lol.

  6. #156
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,359

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    To the average festival goer though... C'mon man. You know what I mean. You can't say you don't understand why that wouldn't be a concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

  7. #157
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Furthermore, Sunday night in 2009 ended with Throbbing Gristle, Etienne de Crecy, and Roni Size on at the same time. Throbbing Gristle is as much, probably more, EDM than is the current incarnation of Amon Tobin.

    You fucks.

  8. #158
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,359

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    I would say that is a bit of a stretch...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

  9. #159
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    To the average festival goer though... C'mon man. You know what I mean. You can't say you don't understand why that wouldn't be a concern.
    So then JoeAverageFestivalGuy sees about 5 minutes of Tobin's set and realizes it's not EDM. He then goes to dance somewhere else and apologizes to Goldenvoice for getting pissed that they booked 3 EDM acts at the same time, when it was really just two.

  10. #160
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I would say that is a bit of a stretch...
    I actually heard melody in Throbbing Gristle's set, which Amon Tobin's set seems to lack. Throbbing Gristle was also using electronic instruments. It's not a stretch at all.

  11. #161
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,486

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    this is why I'm saying maybe Amon Tobin plays the Sahara, but doesn't close it. Instead, someone lower-billed as per usual. Perhaps The Rapture, who have already closed the Sahara against an EDM act on the Main.

    hotham- it's not about your thoughts on the acts, its about the likelihood of what acts end up at what times as compared to what we've seen in the past.


  12. #162
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    this is why I'm saying maybe Amon Tobin plays the Sahara, but doesn't close it. Instead, someone lower-billed as per usual. Perhaps The Rapture, who have already closed the Sahara against an EDM act on the Main.
    So you're saying it makes sense for a non-melodic act, the only one in the Sahara all day, to play in between a bunch of dance acts? You guys realize this isn't 2001 Amon Tobin, right? I would be shocked if he played in the Sahara, though I'm open to the slight possibility because sometimes Goldenvoice does things that make no sense.

  13. #163
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,486

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Amon Tobin and his set up are a Sahara act through and through, regardless of your particular musical preference.
    I've never seen anything like his set up on any stage other than the Sahara, and I'm sure everyone else would agree with that.


  14. #164
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,169

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Ugh. People. Nosaj Thing's set was nowhere near the Sahara and neither will Amon Tobin's, regardless of the fact that he has an elaborate visual set up. Stop this nonsense.

    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  15. #165
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    It's not at all about music preferences, it's about the fact that the Sahara has a very obvious theme about it. Dance acts. Amon Tobin is not a dance act. He would be very out of place in the Sahara. His setup will fit in the Mojave just fine. The Sahara is more about how the music sounds and not about the visuals.
    Last edited by HotHamWater; 01-17-2012 at 07:28 PM.

  16. #166
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Ugh. People. Nosaj Thing's set was nowhere near the Sahara and neither will Amon Tobin's, regardless of the fact that he has an elaborate visual set up. Stop this nonsense.
    Somebody with some sense.

  17. #167
    Member citizenerased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,469

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Guedita's right, not Sahara.

  18. #168

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    I'll defer to people who actually know Amon Tobin's work, but the Sahara is EMPTY now with SebastiAn out and Swedish House Mafia (presumably) playing the main. I mean, how many acts are in there? Less than 10 now? Unless there are some good Sahara ads on this day, there are going to be some unconventional acts in there.

  19. #169
    Member citizenerased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    2,469

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I'll defer to people who actually know Amon Tobin's work, but the Sahara is EMPTY now with SebastiAn out and Swedish House Mafia (presumably) playing the main. .
    SebastiAn didn't move, Ingrosso did.

  20. #170
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,421

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    It's not at all about music preferences, it's about the fact that the Sahara has a very obvious theme about it. Dance acts. Amon Tobin is not a dance act. He would be very out of place in the Sahara. His setup will fit in the Mojave just fine. The Sahara is more about how the music sounds and not about what the visuals.
    All the people who love "dance acts" will be at SHM on the main. That is why Tobin closing The Sahara makes sense.

  21. #171
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,486

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Ugh. People. Nosaj Thing's set was nowhere near the Sahara and neither will Amon Tobin's, regardless of the fact that he has an elaborate visual set up. Stop this nonsense.
    This:


    is a far cry from this:


    and Nosaj Thing wasn't billed third line.


  22. #172
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Wait, SebastiAn is playing the Main????

    nevermind couldn't read.

  23. #173
    old school concertgoer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    5,421

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    SebastiAn didn't move, Ingrosso did.
    They both were moved.

  24. #174

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    SebastiAn didn't move, Ingrosso did.
    They both did. SebastiAn from Friday to Saturday, Ingrosso from Saturday to Sunday.

  25. #175
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,169

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    If by far cry you mean "the music is structured very similar and neither act is typical of the fast paced dance music historically slotted in the Sahara tent, regardless of the moderate difference in size of their visual structures" then I agree.

    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  26. #176
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    14,982

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Amon is not "Sahara music" these days...a few years ago, anything "electronic" could be considered to be in the Sahara...but the last couple of years, more downtempo electronica has been put elsewhere. Heck the Orb was never in the Sahara, neither was Leftfield. It's reserved for all the Kaskade, Axwell, whatever bullshit now. I'm guessing both DJ Shadow and Amon are Mojave late night.

  27. #177
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,608

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    I still have yet to hear a good argument as to why Amon Tobin will not close the Sahara...seems logical to me. That being said I see The Rapture being more likely to close out the Sahara than M83.
    To go back to the original statement: It's not out of the realm of possibility to put Tobin in the Sahara. It would just seem odd given that the Sahara is a dance tent (especially lately) and Tobin doesn't play dance music. To say that you have yet to hear a good argument as to why he wouldn't play in the Sahara is just pretty outlandish. He may not play the Sahara because he doesn't play dance music. There's your argument. If it's not a "good" argument then I'll just have to question your ability to use logic and reason.

  28. #178

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    So, Sahara Friday:
    Afrojack
    Alesso
    Breakbot
    Datsik
    Feed Me
    LA Riots
    Madeon
    R3hab

    With SHM on the main.

    I mean, we have to be getting ads, right? There were 12 acts last Friday.

  29. #179
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,169

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    Won't The Midnight Beast in the Sahara doing their dance "parody" shtick?

    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  30. #180
    Coachella Junkie Boourns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    26,419

    Default Re: Set Time Predictions - coming soon

    3 hour Perry set
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Similar Threads

  1. SET TIME PREDICTIONS...coming
    By clumsy342 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 291
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
  2. FINAL Set Time Predictions!
    By clumsy342 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
  3. Official Set Time Predictions - SAT
    By clumsy342 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
  4. Official Set Time Predictions - Sun
    By clumsy342 in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM
  5. Sahara set time predictions?
    By goldfromla in forum Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •