Thread: Why was the June Pre-Sale necessary?

Default Why was the June Pre-Sale necessary?

I'm not entirely sure why the June pre-sale was necessary. I understand they switched to two weekends and I originally thought that they did a pre-sale to generate advance cash and pay for monster headliners. I'll admit Radiohead falls into the big acts, but The Black Keys certainly don't. I don't know how much Dre would've charged but I'm not even sure it's that big a grab? I know Snoop would be too small to headline on his own. I would think GV had some cash on hand from the year prior as well.

Was all the smaller acts such as Pulp (smaller compared to Europe), Refused and At The Drive-In that cost that much? Did it cost that much more to secure the Polo grounds for an additional weekend?

Just seems like the pre-sale backfired on a lot of people that couldn't get tickets within the 3+hour window they were on sale today. Wouldn't mind hearing some of your thoughts.
    11/15 - Phantogram
    12/8 - Beirut
    1/30 - Jeff Mangum

Default Re: Why was the June Pre-Sale necessary?

June presale was necessary for the die hard fans that want to go to Coachella no matter what. This way, they buy their tickets and don't get "screwed" like everyone else did. It's not as if it was a super secret onsale. It was well advertised.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

I think the pre-sale existed to give people a chance to buy tickets in a non-panicked atmosphere like this morning. Also, to help GV gauge interest in the two weekend festival and get some cash to secure the long-term lease of the Polo Grounds.

They have a "pre-sale" almost every year that I can remember recently. Mostly this was in order to allow people to put tickets on layaway. It became really popular last year after the tickets sold out and became the go-to for veterans/die hards to ensure we all got tickets regardless of the line up.

It was heavily advertised and relatively inexpensive to go this route. There are only 150k tickets. Everyone cannot go to the festival anymore, so I don't see how this can be considered a backfire for Goldenvoice.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1+2], 13[1+2]

One of the reasons for the pre-sale was also to help alleviate the anxiety of the "oh nos, I don't have money to pay for tickets right now and the lineup's gonna sell out soon!" people who were last year's primary ticketing complainers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Ahhh this all makes sense. I was also thinking that it is also a desire for GV to have Coachella modeled after Glasto in the sense that it sells out before any lineup is released. I am sure that next year if they do an early pre-sale like this (especially if it's up for a week) it will sell out.

As for the 'backfire' I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant is that it backfired on a lot of ticket buyers who wanted to wait for a lineup like me. I got a ticket but it seems a lot of people didn't.
    11/15 - Phantogram
    12/8 - Beirut
    1/30 - Jeff Mangum

old school

They also get 6 months worth of interest on $30-$40million when it's held in escrow.

IMO, GV wanted to truly gauge if selling out both weekends would be a challenge or not and if they had to "over book" or not.

Paul Tollett and Goldenvoice used pre-sale for advertising and profit. Today's ticket sell was so ridiculous compared to previous 10 years. Are there that much more interest/fans than last year? When you advertise Weekend 1 is sold-out, it makes people nervous and compete to get their tickets. Selling tickets 10 months in advance is not necessary to sell 150k tickets fairly but they'll more profit. They had to cancel year 2000 because of poor ticket sale in 1999. Not anymore. Now it's all about greed. But not Radiohead. I was able to buy today through their website.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    I think the pre-sale existed to give people a chance to buy tickets in a non-panicked atmosphere like this morning. Also, to help GV gauge interest in the two weekend festival and get some cash to secure the long-term lease of the Polo Grounds.
    No. Believe me, there was PLENTY of panicking last June. I had to have a friend buy me mine because I couldn't get in on multiple screens with multiple devices. (for weekend 1 anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

So happy for that presale. So glad that I didn't have to deal with the onsale today.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    No. Believe me, there was PLENTY of panicking last June. I had to have a friend buy me mine because I couldn't get in on multiple screens with multiple devices. (for weekend 1 anyway)
    I agree. I also had multiple devices on those stand-by pages in the summer.

It wasn't until several hours later the worry subsided that 2012 was going to sell out with an unannounced line-up.

After today's short sale - 2013?

Ya I remember being agitated during the pre-sale in June too. After Coachella selling out in 6 days, I thought the pre-sale would be when it sold out. Waited probably 2-3 hours in the standby zone. It wasn't until later in the afternoon it was apparent that the tickets would not sell out.

Next year will be even more aggravating.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12[1+2], 13[1+2]

I love layaway. Thanks for the presale!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Trust me, after the near heart attack I had this morning... I will be buying pre-sale next year!
    Nothing can stop me now...

Had to buy more than 1 ticket, couldn't have done it with out the layaway. I'm soo glad I didn't have go through what some people had to go through today and still not get tickets.