Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2012 Lineup

Default Tell Us About The 2012 Lineup

Last year's thread was helpful as fuck so I decided to bring it back. Post information/videos on artists booked for this year to educate others. I'll keep it updated as it goes...

List:
    Andrew Bird - Post #6
    At The Drive In - Post #7
    Beirut - Post #46
    Black Lips - Post #58
    Company Flow - Post #16
    Destructo - Post #84
    EMA - Post #2
    Fanfarlo - Post #68
    fIREHOSE - Post #53
    Fitz and the Tantrums - Post #17
    Gary Clark Jr. - Post #37
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Post #106
    Greg Ginn - Post #3
    Grouplove - Post #11
    The Growlers - Post #40
    The Horrors - Post #30
    Jeff Mangum - Post #21
    Kasabian - Post #12
    Kendrick Lamar - Post #35
    Laura Marling - Post #20
    Madness - Post #122
    Mazzy Star - Post #112
    Metronomy - Post #29
    Miike Snow - Post #95
    Noisia - Post #1
    Pulp - Post#18
    Real Estate - Post #65
    Refused - Post #22
    Sean Kuti & Egypt 80 - Post #9
    Squeeze - Post #104
    The Sheepdogs - Post #72
    The Shins - Post #42
    Thundercat - Post #86
    The Vaccines - Post #59
    Wild Flag - Post #56
    Wu Lyf - Post #50
    Yuck - Post #83

Noisia
    An electronic music group of 3, Nik Roos, Martijn van Sonderen and Thijs de Vlieger, from the Netherlands who got their name from the word VISION inverted on a VHS tape. Influenced by a range of artists, from The Prodigy to James Brown, Miles Davis to Konflict, Tipper to Fatboy Slim, they produce a wide variety of music including drum & bass, dubstep, house, and breaks. Releasing their first record in 2003 on SLR and releasing on every major drum & bass label in the following years, 2005 saw Noisia establish their own label, Vision Recordings to put out their drum & bass productions and collaborations and retain creative control of their music. Over the past few years, accolades for Noisia have included Best Tech DJ in the UK National D&B Awards in 2009 and 2010, Best Producers at the 2010 D&B Arena Awards and Best Drum & Bass Artist on Beatport in both 2009 and 2010.

Last edited by OnRepeating; 01-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I think it's complete fucking bullshit to go from a year with Mount Kimbie, Ramadanman, Kode 9, Joy Orbison, and Goth Trad (not to mention all the dnb) to getting Datsik, Borgore, Flux Pavillion, and Doctor fucking P.
    2013 Wishlist:
    Joker - Matty G - Mala - Loefah - Darkside - Youngsta - Joe Nice - Biome - Burial - Compa - Pinch - Kryptic Minds - Zomby - Phaeleh - Skream (screw Benga) - Hatcha - Truth - Tunnidge - Lurka - Phace - Black Sun Empire - London Elektricity - A Tribe Called Quest

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2012 Lineup

EMA is a Erika M. Anderson, a North Dakota native who came to LA and used to be in the band Gowns with her boyfriend Ezra Buchla. They made dark noise folk albums that were full of intensity and tension, and that translated live. They were intense people and they eventually ended their relationship. Erika went back to North Dakota and recorded her debut album, Past Life, Martyred Saints, in the aftermath. Her first collection, the songs are grim and determined descriptions of a failing romance. Particularly moving to me is Coda into Marked. In Coda, Buchla and Anderson both sing a line that is reused at the end of Marked, and the way she owns the line at the end is really something. Live she retains the incredible intensity that she showed in Gowns. When I saw her, she played two Gowns tunes, and she's been known to throw out some great covers live. She is not to be missed if you like dark and intense rock music. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Greg Ginn is the founding member of:
    Panic, Black Flag, Gone, Hor, Fastgato, October Faction, Killer Tweeker Bees, Confront James, EL BAD, Mojack, Greg Ginn and the Tyler Texas Corrugators, Jambang and Greg Ginn and the Royal We. He pretty much invented hardcore punk guitar, has shit tons of jazz/jam/metal recordings, and was the founder of SST records, who released seminal albums from Black Flag, The Minutemen, The Meat Puppets, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden and pretty much every good band ever. He wrote some of the best punk songs of all time (he was the primary songwriter and lyricist for Black Flag) and was a model for perseverence in the indie scene. I have no idea what to expect from his set (he's not listed as any of his alter egos currently, but his latest release is his guitar take on minimal house stuff and it's really good) but he's a true legend and you should not miss him.

Edit: Greg is playing as Greg Ginn and the Royal We. This is his newest project where he is the whole band. The album and single are both instrumental guitar recordings where Greg mimics some of the song structures and tropes of electronic music. It's pretty cool stuff, more expansive than Black Flag, but with his trademark intensity. I'm not sure if he'll be performing solo, but it should be cool to see him do some of this wild playing live.

Last edited by bmack86; 01-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.

OnRepeating, I'm glad you started this thread in the right section of the board. The line-up section is no place for a thread of this quality.

I'll post Beirut soon (unless someone beats me to it).
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Posting a video or 2 with the info would be a little bit more helpful bmack.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I think it's complete fucking bullshit to go from a year with Mount Kimbie, Ramadanman, Kode 9, Joy Orbison, and Goth Trad (not to mention all the dnb) to getting Datsik, Borgore, Flux Pavillion, and Doctor fucking P.
    2013 Wishlist:
    Joker - Matty G - Mala - Loefah - Darkside - Youngsta - Joe Nice - Biome - Burial - Compa - Pinch - Kryptic Minds - Zomby - Phaeleh - Skream (screw Benga) - Hatcha - Truth - Tunnidge - Lurka - Phace - Black Sun Empire - London Elektricity - A Tribe Called Quest

Andrew Bird
    Andrew Bird is a Chicago born violinist, who began his training at the age of 4. Bird received his bachelor's in violin performance from Northwestern in 1996, and his early professional work, both in collaborations with the Squirrel Nut Zippers and his own band, Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire, was very much part of the swing revival. By 2001's "The Swimming Hour", however, the Bowl of Fire had moved almost entirely beyond swing, and Bird's first solo album under simply his own name, "Weather Systems" (2003) was along the lines of indie folk. At present, he has three more albums under his own name ("Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs", "Armchair Apocrypha", and "Noble Beast"). Bird is now known for his rich, layered compositions and poetic, esoteric lyrics; live he samples and loops his own performance, often, for instance, laying down a loop of pizzacato violin, then bowing, then playing guitar. He is also known for his characteristic whistling. When he is joined by a full band, members include Martin Dosh on drums and looping duties and Jeremy Ylvisaker and Mike Lewis on bass.

Last edited by IceyHotshot; 01-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.

At The Drive-In is a "Post Hardcore" band from El Paso, Texas. They realeased 3 LP's between 1996-2000, the most well known being 2000's Relationship of Command. They broke up in 2001, the members splitting up to form 2 bands: The Mars Volta and Sparta. They are known for their enigmatic lyrics, exceptional guitar rhythms, and high-energy live shows.

Fri: Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Explosions In the Sky, M83, Amon Tobin, the Rapture, GIRLS, Frank Ocean, Yuck, Neon Indian, Breakbot, WU LYF, Other Lives, EMA
    Sat: Radiohead, Bon Iver, Andrew Bird, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, SBTRKT, Sub Focus, Flying Lotus, Destroyer, the Head & the Heart, tUnE-yArDs, Gary Clark Jr., Dragonette
    Sun: Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, At the Drive-In, Justice, Beirut, the Weeknd, DJ Shadow, Santigold, Gotye, Real Estate, Le Butcherettes, Metronomy

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post

This is Swedish House Mafia.

They are three Swedish dudes. They play a bunch of songs that go “Boom boom boom boom” and then the bass drops out and there’s a part people sing along to and then the bass comes back in going “boom boom boom.” Sometimes there are angel sounds.

It is important to note that the three members of Swedish House Mafia do not function as individuals separate and independent from the Swedish House Mafia itself. Simply stated, the three members of Swedish House Mafia will individually only play tracks that the Swedish House Mafia as a collective plays.

Last year, two of the three members of the Swedish Mafia, who play the exact same songs individually as the Swedish House Mafia plays as a group, headlined the Sahara two of the three nights of Coachella.

This is Afrojack.

He’s Dutch. His songs go “Boom boom boom boom,” but they also have very fast high-pitched sounds that go “woop woop woop woop woop dee doop!” Sometimes Pitbull raps on his songs. He gets hip hop artists to sing on his songs, but David Guetta had hip hop artists sing on his songs first.

It is at times difficult to tell if you are listening to an Afrojack song or an LMFAO song.

This is Amon Tobin.

He plays weird sounds and shows you weird pictures of things. He is different than other Sahara acts that play weird sounds and show you weird pictures of things, because liking the latter acts makes you a “light show monkey” but liking Amon Tobin makes you a “genius.” People typically stand around and look at the pictures.

This is SebastiAn.

He’s French. He’ll smoke cigarettes and twist some knobs on a little panel. Sometimes the music sounds like video game music. Other times it sounds like the Spawn soundtrack. His tracks are “bangin.” He will probably play a DJ Mehdi song. It will be a “moment.”

Sometimes people think he is Kavinsky. He is not.

This is Feed Me.

He does what SebastiAn does except he gets to do it because he’s friends with Deadmau5. Otherwise, nobody would give a shit. He will also play dubstep. Everyone will be happy and go “fucking duuuuuuuubsteeeeeeep!”

See also Madeon.

This is David Guetta.

Hip hop artists think that he needs to produce their songs now. He makes songs that go “Boom boom boom boom” and then the bass drops out and everyone sings along and Usher sings over it and he holds his hands up in the air and then the bass comes back in. He has street cred because he worked with Akon. Afrojack does what he does.

This is Kaskade.

He does what David Guetta and Afrojack do except he doesn’t have as many friends in the music industry. He’s Mormon.

This is Sebastian Ingrosso.

He is in Swedish House Mafia. He will do what Swedish House Mafia does, including playing the exact same songs. When he plays the Sahara, four of the previous five nights of Coachella will have featured at least one individual member of the Swedish House Mafia or the Swedish House Mafia itself. The individual members of the Swedish House Mafia play the same songs as the Swedish House Mafia.

He is not SebastiAn.

This is Martin Solveig.

He does what David Guetta and Afrojack and Kaskade and Sebastian Ingrosso, except he only works with white singers. He plays tennis.

This is Justice.

They are French and will smoke like SebastiAn and play music like SebastiAn, except there are two of them, so people think they are geniuses. They have a cross that lights up. People see it and are like “Fucking sick!” Then they’re all “Fucking Just-ees!” because they think that’s how French people say “Justice.”

This is Girl Talk.

He is like listening to your teenage sister’s iPod except if your sister was even more of a weakling than she is now.

This is Avicii.

He is a Swedish DJ that plays songs that go “Boom boom boom boom” and then the bass drops out and then people sing along and then the bass comes back in, except he is not a member of Swedish House Mafia.

This is Calvin Harris.

He is kind of like David Guetta in that he makes music with Rihanna. He probably won’t play that Rihanna song though. He made an album that sounded like it was made in the 1980s except it was “nu.” Then he made another album and it just sounded like Kaskade, David Guetta, Avicii, Sebastian Ingrosso, Afrojack, and Swedish House Mafia. He’ll probably play the songs that sound like Kaskade, David Guetta, Avicii, Sebastian Ingrosso, Afrojack, and Swedish House Mafia.

This is Porter Robinson.

His songs go “Boom boom boom boom” and then make weird vortex sounds. He sounds like Wolfgang Gartner if Wolfgang Gartner was Wolfgang Gartner.

As you can see, it’s gonna be a groundbreaking year. See you in the tent!
    ^^^

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Seun Kuti and Egypt 80 (playing Sunday):

These guys are this year's token group-from-Africa band. Like all other previous group-from-Africa bands, they sound like they will be entertaining and lively. Seun leads the band and sings and plays saxophone. It's a afrobeat kind of thing. If history repeats itself, they will be on the Gobi during the hottest part of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Egypt 80 is one of the classic bands fronted by Fela Kuti as he invented afrobeat. Seun is Fela's son, and I imagine that the set is going to be a monster of funk.

Grouplove

An American indie (but they aren't indie because they are signed to Atlantic) rock band that formed in 2009 by Hannah Hooper, Christian Zucconi, Sean Gadd , Andrew Wessen and Ryan Rabin. Grouplove began when Hannah Hooper and Christian Zucconi forged a friendship with the other three members while attending an artists' residency on the island of Crete.

Grouplove made that song from the new iPod commercial. It is called Tongue Tied.

KROQ has started to play Grouplove a lot. Australians love Grouplove. Triple J has Grouplove on heavy rotation. Here they are rocking Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=876060610398

If you like pop rock you will enjoy these guys. They put on a good show.

They have been compared to Edward Sharpe and Modest Mouse among others.
    Last edited by tmac; 01-12-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Kasabian are an English rock band formed in Leicestershire in 1997. Each of the first 3 studio albums went double platinum in the U.K. The fourth album Velociraptor! was released in 2011. Having a reputation of one of the best live bands, Kasabian was named band of 2010 by the Brit Awards. It is Kasabian's unique space rock mood that sets them apart from many other bands.
    Charles Manson inspired the name Kasabian after one of the members was reading about him in a magazine. Kasab means butcher in Arab
    Current members:
    Tom Meighan – lead vocals (1997–present), tambourine (live)
    Sergio Pizzorno – guitar, backing vocals, keyboards & electronic programming (1997–present)
    Chris Edwards – bass (1997–present)
    Ian Matthews – drums (2004–present)
    Jay Mehler - guitar (2010-present; previously touring member: 2006-2010)

Last edited by theklein25; 01-13-2012 at 12:43 AM.

fIREHOSE IS PLAYING GUYS

I'll do a write up tomorrow if I get a moment.

I don't know anything about fIREHOSE. That would be helpful. I will try and do a Madness write up tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

They're 2/3 of The Minutemen.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

COMPANY FLOW

Company Flow is a hip-hop group from Brooklyn that formed in the mid-90's consisting of El-P, Mr. Len and Bigg Jus. They have one full length album called Funcrusher Plus that is one of the most unique, original etc. etc. sounding rap albums of it's time. I would describe it as traditional 90's boom-bap but with a very abstract, funky, spacey, experimental feel to both the production and lyricism that really sets it apart. Much of the rapping is dark and the imagery is often very dense but the delivery still retains a sort of evil sense of humor to it that manages to bring the material to life, especially upon repeated listens. They first reunited for a show in Brooklyn in 2007 and more recently they supported Portishead at the ATP I'll Be Your Mirror event.

First Aid Kit are a pair of Swedish sisters that specialise in some occasionally country tinged folk music. They will be ruined by a mixture of the do lab and douches talking. They are signed to Rabid records which is run by The Knife, but yet sound nothing like The Knife (but they did cover Fever Ray - see vid 2). Crazy Swedes.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

PULP

After releasing a few Pablo Honeys, Pulp reigned over Britpop with three magical albums: 1994's His 'n' Hers, 1995's Different Class, and 1998's This is Hardcore. They also made a final album, We Love Life, that's not bad at all. Pulp's frontman, Jarvis Cocker, writes excellent lyrics about sleeping with girl's sisters, making amateur pornography, and having sex with older people. Their most popular song is called "Common People," which tells the tale of a wealthy woman trying to remove herself from her financial status by sleeping with Jarvis, going to the shopping market, among other things... These humorous and honest lyrics are what make Pulp such an amazing act, alongside their finely-crafted, keyboardy, and catchy sound. This Coachella performance is their first announced date in America after playing successful reunion shows in Europe and Australia last year.

Attached Images Attached Images
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

First Aid Kit is another band I've enjoyed in my research so far.

Laura Marling

Laura Marling is a 21-year old (22 in February) singer-songwriter/folk musician from Hampshire, England. “Sing-songwriter” and “folk” might sound boring, but she has a progression in many of her songs that can be interesting and pretty passionate. She has 3 albums: “Alas, I Cannot Swim,” “I Speak Because I Can,” and “A Creature I Don’t Know.” They have all received positive critical praise. I saw her once at a festival, two years ago, and she was very enjoyable. It’s possible she’s even better now with a little more seasoning. If you’re into chicks with guitars who sing, she is one of the good ones (IMO, of course).

The Beast

Devil's Spoke

Jeff Mangum

Jeff Mangum is a Brooklyn-based singer-songwriter and cofounder of the Athens, GA Elephant 6 Collective. Although Mangum participated in numerous Elephant 6 projects (ie: Olivia Tremor Control), he is best known for his involvement with legendary indie rock group Neutral Milk Hotel, in which he served as the frontman and primary songwriter. The group's 1998 album, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, garnered a smattering of praise after its initial release, but would later gain a devoted cult following and be regarded as one of the landmark albums of the American indie movement.

Mangum disbanded NMH shortly after the release of Aeroplane and disappeared from the public eye without explanation; occasionally, Mangum made appearances on other Elephant 6 recordings, but he refrained from performing and recording new material. In 2008, Mangum began making unannounced, brief appearances at Elephant 6 concerts where he would usually perform one or two songs. In 2009, he performed a handful of NMH material at a benefit concert and performed a similar set in Brooklyn in late 2010. Since then, he has performed intermittently at shows across the East Coast, including ATP NJ. This makes Mangum's appearance at Coachella a very rare and unique occurrence; it will be his first performance in the Southern California region in nearly 14 years.

Mangum's songs are highly literate, complex compositions wrought with imagery and palpable emotion. While diverse instruments such as the harmonium and trumpet appear on NMH recordings, Mangum's recent solo performances feature only him and a collection of guitars. I often liken Mangum to a modern-day troubadour — one who constructs bizarre, captivating stories able to hold the attention of anyone who happens to listen to his music. His voice, often imperfect and tinged with an accent you can't really put your finger on, has the ability to silence a room and make people sob uncontrollably. The man is pure magic.

Last edited by kitt kat; 01-13-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Refused were a good hardcore band out of Sweden in the mid-90s. They sang about anarchy and how much they hated capitalism and they were straight edge and all that fun stuff. Then something must have happened to them, because they went from being a good hardcore band to something completely else. They put out an album called The Shape of Punk to Come, and it damn near lived up to that title. They toyed with song structure, added electronic, jazz and post-rock elements to the mix, increased their lyrical sophistication and basically pushed everything to the edge. The result is a monster of an album. During the subsequent tour they collapsed and broke up. This is the first time they've played since. Get excited.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I don't know anything about fIREHOSE. That would be helpful. I will try and do a Madness write up tomorrow.
    They have a (probably somewhat apocryphal) union story that's probably weirder than any of the other acts on the lineup. After D. Boon died (from a bizarre accident where he was sleeping in their van and fell out the back door), Minutemen broke up. Camper Van Beethoven lied to some guy in Ohio that Minutemen were looking to replace D Boon, and the kid drove to San Pedro and begged Mike Watt and George Hurley to let him play for them. He played a cover of The Who and some Minutemen songs and they decided to go for and became fIREHOSE.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by OnRepeating View Post
    Last year's thread was helpful as fuck so I decided to bring it back.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    They have a (probably somewhat apocryphal) union story that's probably weirder than any of the other acts on the lineup. After D. Boon died (from a bizarre accident where he was sleeping in their van and fell out the back door), Minutemen broke up. Camper Van Beethoven lied to some guy in Ohio that Minutemen were looking to replace D Boon, and the kid drove to San Pedro and begged Mike Watt and George Hurley to let him play for them. He played a cover of The Who and some Minutemen songs and they decided to go for and became fIREHOSE.
    And he lived for six months under a desk in Mike Watt's apartment as they recorded the first album.

Man, SST and their ancillary groups are really invested in sleeping under desks for extended periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Laura Marling

Laura Marling is a 21-year old (22 in February) singer-songwriter/folk musician from Hampshire, England. “Sing-songwriter” and “folk” might sound boring, but she has a progression in many of her songs that can be interesting and pretty passionate. She has 3 albums: “Alas, I Cannot Swim,” “I Speak Because I Can,” and “A Creature I Don’t Know.” They have all received positive critical praise. I saw her once at a festival, two years ago, and she was very enjoyable. It’s possible she’s even better now with a little more seasoning. If you’re into chicks with guitars who sing, she is one of the good ones (IMO, of course).
    That is definitely better than my review of Laura Marling to a friend: She's like Jewel but doesn't suck.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    That is a completely insane story. Good on that kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Metronomy is an electronic/pop band who's members are from various parts of England. They have released 3 full length albums. The most recent one, "The English Riviera", has received the most success and was featured on many British and American publication's Top Albums of 2011 list. Metronomy started as a sort-of solo project by Joseph Mount. The first album is almost entirely instrumental. It features a lot of melodica, which is not often found in the electronic genre. The second album is much more accessible for newer fans. It is my personal favorite, and I have been a fan for many years. The live band used to consist of Joseph, Oscar Cash, and Gabriel Stebbing. The drums and many sounds were prerecorded and controlled by Joseph. Since Gabriel left the band in 2009, Metronomy have gone completely live with a drummer and new bass player. When they perform live, each member has a circular light attached to their chest that flashes on and off according to the beat. It is really quite fun seeing them live. They are an extremely talented band, and they are not to be missed. If you like live electronic music with some funk bass attached, Metronomy is a must see for you this Coachella.

This is a recent live performance of one of their 3rd album's hits, "The Bay."

This is the music video for one of their 2nd album's hits, "Heartbreaker."
    Last edited by CoachellaBlood; 01-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 wk 2, 2013 wk 1, 2014 wk 1

THE HORRORS

The Horrors are a Southend on Sea band that first sounded a bit like Bauhaus, until a 2009 shoegaze awakening that gave birth to their second debut album, Primary Colours, which was produced by board-favorite Geoff Barrow (of Portishead), who kinda' used "The Rip" to make The Horrors' song "Sea Within a Sea," so it seems... Last year, they released Skying, which still sounds like My Bloody Valentine at times, but also kinda sounds like Echo & the Bunnymen too. And while you can compare The Horrors to this band and that band, file them under this genre and that genre, their changes don't take away from the music, which is made from the very best of all their inspirations.

I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****