Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Flying Lotus returns

Default Re: Flying Lotus returns

With the exception of the jazz show he did at Echoplex I hadn't seen him since his last Coachella set, so it was everything I was hoping for and more. He played a little bit of everything: trippy laid back stuff, Dilla, ignorant rap, free jazz, Los Angeles/Cosmogramma tracks, new tracks (at least new to me). Might be my favorite set of his just because of how much fun it was. It was the perfect Flying Lotus festival set.

Anyone have the setlist or know where to find it?

Shit was four-car-rectangles.
    The best thing about FlyLo is his big-ass grin. You could see that shit from the Do Lab.
    Yeah, he played that same Oizo-into-Idioteque transition that he's dropped in sets over the past few years, but I was more than happy to hear it. Especially right before I was headed to the Radiohead set.

Did anyone else see that fistfight that was started by the jackass in the fuzzy bear helmet thing [I think]? That guy was a sociopath who needed to be removed. Moshing is cool, but how you gonna punch someone in the face a buncha times, dude?
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

How are you going to Mosh at a FlyLo set? I mean I am all for the pit, but come on guys placement is key
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    How are you going to Mosh at a FlyLo set? I mean I am all for the pit, but come on guys placement is key
    $tunt$ goes hard sucka.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I mean, I was just standing there with my girl getting whiplash from nodding my head so hard.
    But it seemed as if people were positioning their best mosh directly between "I go hard" and "in the muthafuckin paint."
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:

set of the week imo. It was my first time seeing him live (or a live performance by him in general) and I was blown away. Hands down the most creative DJ out there right now and I'm glad I've got to see him while he's still at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by iGz89 View Post
    New tracks were fantastic but I lost my shit when he played this Two Fingers track. I had to skip out on them at the Do Lab for Flying Lotus because they were running late but this made up for it well enough.

I came here looking for this song after he played it at his set. Thank you so much!

If y'all remember that hispanic-looking half asian dude with a blue polo shirt, wearing a sombrero during beginning of the set, and going HAM...yeah that was me
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

No one gives a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

If anyone does have the setlist I'd love to see it. Thanks in advance. Still think this was the best show of the weekend, besides Dre & Snoop.

Really? The set was decent, but honestly I was expecting a lot more from him. He was rambling awkwardly a couple times, and his attempt at improv with Thundercat and Ron Bruner was not working. This coupled with a terrible, pushy crowd made it a generally unpleasant experience. I feel like FlyLo is torn between being a laidback, experimental jazz-forward producer and a cheesedick club-banger DJ. I really hope he starts focusing on the former. fwiw, SBTRKT blew his set out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    Really? The set was decent, but honestly I was expecting a lot more from him. He was rambling awkwardly a couple times, and his attempt at improv with Thundercat and Ron Bruner was not working. This coupled with a terrible, pushy crowd made it a generally unpleasant experience. I feel like FlyLo is torn between being a laidback, experimental jazz-forward producer and a cheesedick club-banger DJ. I really hope he starts focusing on the former. fwiw, SBTRKT blew his set out of the water.
    Ok your going to have to explain this one a little more? What songs make you think that? Cuzz he played Yonkers or something?
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

i was a little disappointed at FlyLo's set as well. i didn't stay for the whole thing, but i was hoping to hear more of his jazzy stuff. even something like his set from Hard Haunted '10 where he'd implement bassy loops like that of Parisian Goldfish into his set

wish i stayed longer to hear more of Cosmogramma. someone tell me--did he drop Do the Astral Plane?
    #coachellaweekend1
    #takeitsleazy

no...
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

I don't believe he did, no. Maybe if he hadn't spent so much damn time talking about who was on the side of the stage. I hope he's not drinking tonight and is able to focus a bit more on his set. Looks like he's currently spinning with Gaslamp Killer and Thom Yorke somewhere. Hopefully that helps get the creative juices flowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I was so fucking happy when he dropped "4th Chamber," nothing like hearing a Rza beat on an awesome system.

Anyone going to see him at Low End Theory SF?
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

a bunch of idiots tried to start a mosh pit at his weekend two set as well, as they got close to me i shook my head no and seeing them glance at each other and realize this was not at all the place for this might have made my whole weekend. I think they left shortly after. Amazing set though.

I'll be seeing him both at Pitchfork and at Flow Festival in Finland. I'm really interested to see not only what he plays in both settings, but how people respond.
    God love the Finns. I seriously have no idea what to expect from them.

Glad no little bitches were around me once that Hard In Da Paint remix came on and Earl was chillin at the front. That shit went off.

So anyone get a pic of the girl with pasties? Just sayin'.

This! I went bananas. People around them were scratching their heads but I fucking loved it. I also went nuts when he played Waka
    Friday Lou Reed, Modest Mouse,Beach House,Infected Mushroom, Johnny Marr,Wolfgang Gartner, Four Tet, TNGT, Earl Sweatshirt, Lee Scratch Perry, Dam Funk

Saturday
    the XX, New Order, Knife Party, Violent Femmes, SMD, Major LAzer, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Booka Shade, Bingo Players, Pusha T, Trash Talk

Sunday
    RHCP, Nick Cave, Vampire Weekend, Social D, Wu Tang,Eric Prydz, Lumineers, James Blake, Grimes, Raider Klan, Roni Size, Smith Westerns

I saw him second weekend and I lost my goddamn mind during this set. I have had both FlyLo's albums since they came out but I never really got into either of them. I was really surprised that his set sounded nothing like his two albums. I felt like I was at a dog fight in an abandoned junk yard, the crowd was going absolutely apeshit. It was so filthy and disgusting in the best way possible, it seemed like at any moment the whole crowd was going to start vomiting all over each other. It was in my top 3 sets of the weekend, FlyLo ripped my fucking nuts off.

Both albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

All 2

I'm hoping his Hollywood Bowl set is more along the lines of the stuff on his albums. I can't see him doing the club thing opening for Animal Collective. Hopefully he gets weird with it.

does anyone know the last song he played for the second weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    Both albums.
    !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I'm hoping his Hollywood Bowl set is more along the lines of the stuff on his albums. I can't see him doing the club thing opening for Animal Collective. Hopefully he gets weird with it.
    He'll bring it for Animal Collective. At Coachella he played his regular festival set, which is pretty much a DJ club set full of heavy beats and good throwback hip hop tracks. Fun, but not as forward-thinking and experimental as we know he can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

People were going ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NUTS for his weekend 2 set. From the looks of it, his weekend two act dominated his first. People were giving him almost a five minutes standing ovation once it ended. He was just sitting at the edge of the state with a huge grin and literally everyone was screaming like crazy for him. Not as good as his 2010 act (which was legendary, can't see how he'll ever top that one), but this one was easily one of my favorites of the weekend. He played a good amount of his new stuff, and that ending was FUCKING RIDICULOUS. Seems like weekend two dominated the first (Justice and Fly Lo).

aaronbk

This was def one my favorite sets. SHIT WAS BONKERS. from beginning to end, just super awesome!!! LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!