Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying Lotus returns

Default Re: Flying Lotus returns

It will hurt so bad if there's a Radiohead/Flying Lotus conflict. He completely surprised me in 2010 (first year going)... everyone I was with had seen him before and said he was pretty good live, but we all danced our asses off at that set and they said it was the best they'd ever seen him.

So I went in 2009 and I was just looking at set times and I couldn't see FlyLo anywhere?
    Anyway, hella excited for new material. Just don't play same time as Godspeed or Radiohead.

He played in the dome. I was there.

well Radiohead is fersure playing at night. Flying Lotus is fersure playing at night. I don't see how this is gonna work. honestly they should just throw FlyLo to Friday night that would relieve any tension of a conflict

It's going to be a damn shame if they play at the same time. I caught part of FlyLo at FunFunFun Fest last year but was just given a jaywalking ticket and just wanted to kill things. Redemption must be had.
    last.fm
    Friday: Yuck Kendrick Lamar Other Lives The Black Angels Frank Ocean M83 The Rapture Explosions in the Sky Amon Tobin
    Saturday: Radiohead Bon Iver Miike Snow Flying Lotus SBTRKT A$AP Rocky Azealia Banks We Were Promised Jetpacks Keep Shelly in Athens
    Sunday: At The Drive-In Dr. Dre & Snoop The Weeknd Justice Modeselektor Santigold Nero Thundercat Metronomy Wild Beasts Real Estate

*subject to change

He tweeted the other day that his next album is nearly finished. Can't wait.

Can't believe I missed his Dome performance in 09. Anyone have any good clips from it?

Nick o

id have to watch most of his set over radioheads. but its a huge conflict and i really want to see both

^ What a hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I think I walked over in 09 and was too drunk, I remember thinking "wow this is really awesome, but I think it might make me puke."
    Exactly how I felt on mushrooms. Loving it, but on the verge of yacking.

Here's a little Flylo rundown I posted in another thread...

Flying Lotus (born Steven Ellison)

An experimental multi-genre music producer from Winnetka, California. His debut album, 1983, was released on Plug Research Records in 2006. He produced much of the bumper music on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block, for which he is uncredited, and he also contributed remixes for fellow Plug Research artists including Mia Doi Todd. He is often referred to as "FlyLo" by fans and critics. His grandmother is songwriter Marilyn McLeod. He is the great-nephew of the late Alice Coltrane, whose husband was John Coltrane. He is also the cousin of musician Ravi Coltrane.

In 2007, he announced that he signed with Warp Records. Following his Warp debut, the six-track Reset EP, he became one of the label’s cornerstone artists and released his second album, titled Los Angeles, on June 10, 2008. In 2008, Flying Lotus also remixed "Reckoner" from Radiohead's album In Rainbows. His third album, Cosmogramma, was released on May 3, 2010, in the UK and May 4, 2010, in the US. In January 2011, Cosmogramma won in the Dance/Electronica Album category in The 10th Annual Independent Music Awards.

Recently, Flying Lotus collaborated with the Ann Arbor Film Festival in the performance of a live scoring of the 1962 avant-garde film Heaven and Earth Magic. In a post-viewing interview with the audience, Flying Lotus said he was unsure whether or not a recording of the performance (or a recreation of it) would be publicly released, but he would be enthusiastic toward similar projects in the future. He was chosen by Battles to perform at the ATP Nightmare Before Christmas festival that it co-curates in December 2011 in Minehead, England.

In January 2011, Flying Lotus won The 10th Annual Independent Music Awards for his video "MmmHmm" in the Video, Short Form category. Flying Lotus will be collaborating with R&B singer Erykah Badu on new material for her next album. In August 2011, Flying Lotus announced a multimedia project with filmmaker Miwa Matreyek, which is to be titled The Mapping of Countries Yet to Come. It is currently rumored that Flying Lotus plans to remix one of Radiohead's songs from The King of Limbs.

Footage from his incredible 2010 set at Coachella

^^ This song features Thom Yorke, and he may possibly play this live with Flylo at Coachella 2012

Demos
    2005: July Heat
    Note: Various unofficial Flying Lotus demos leaked by fans are sometimes mistaken as official Flying Lotus releases, such as "Raw Cartoons."

Albums
    2006: 1983
    2008: Los Angeles
    2010: Cosmogramma
    2012: TBA

EPs
    2007: Reset
    2008: L.A. EP 1 X 3
    2008: Shhh!
    2008: L.A. EP 2 X 3
    2009: L.A. EP 3 X 3
    2010: Pattern+Grid World
    2011: Cosmogramma Alt Takes

12-inch Singles
    2006: Pink Sun EP (12", EP) My Room Is White (Flying Lotus Remix) - Plug Research
    2008: Cool Out (12") Lost (Flying Lotus Remix) - Hyperdub
    2008: Dive EP (12", EP) Blank Blue (Flying Lotus Remix) - Ubiquity Records
    2008: Get Dirty EP (12", EP) Game Over (Flying Lotus Remix) - Ghostly International
    2008: Natural Selection (Flying Lotus' Cleanse Mix) / Vancouver (2562's Puur Natuur Dub) (12")
    2008: Woebegone (CD, Single, Promo) Woebegone (Flying Lotus Remix) - Ninja Tune

Production
    2008: Josť James - Park Bench People (on the track "Visions of Violet")
    2009: Declaime - Whole Wide World
    2010: Josť James - Blackmagic
    2010: Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer (on the track "Ancestors")
    2010: Mike Bigga - Adult Swim Singles Program (on the track "Swimming")
    2011: Thundercat - The Golden Age of Apocalypse
    2011: Blu - 'NoYork! (on the tracks "Doin’ Nothin", "Everything Ok" and "Doin’ Something"

Collaborations
    2008: One for Pep Pep (Remix) (Tim and Eric Awesome Record, Great Songs)
    2008: Testament (w/ Gonjasufi)
    2009: Bootleg Beats (w/ Samiyam)
    2010: ...And The World Laughs With You (w/ Thom Yorke)
    2011: Kryon (w/ Kode9 & the Spaceape)
    2011: Group Tea (w/ Matthewdavid)
    2011: Lost (w/ King Midas Sound)
    2011: Live (w/ Hodgy Beats & Mike G of OFWGKTA)

Mixes
    2011: Lover's Melt (Stones Throw Podcast)
    2011: Lover's Melt Pt. 2 (Brainfeeder Podcast)

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFeelsPavillion View Post
    they should just throw FlyLo to Friday night that would relieve any tension of a conflict
    this
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Coachella 10 performance was brilliant! Wondering if there was ever a boot of that set??

Very excited for this. If i do hard drugs at Coach this year, it will b on Sat, for Flylo (bonus points for Sub Focus). Very dissapointed i missed his Gobi set.

I pray to Odin that Sub Focus and Flylo do not conflict seeing ad they are probably the pnly 2 acts i really care too see on Sat
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Ughhh just the thought of hearing Roberta Flack on drugz really god damn loud is sending me chillz
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I've never seen FlyLo before and I'm really excited for his set. I'm just worried about what the crowd is going to be like.

Will the majority of the crowd be tripping and just staring at the visuals or is it a party? Not that I care if you trip, I just like to party.

Just like Kaskade has always eluded me, FlyLo has done the same. Hope I can see them consecutively.
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Can't believe I missed his Dome performance in 09. Anyone have any good clips from it?
    That year the dome was im the middle of the fest grounds, but fairly close to the Doo-Lab and Gobi...Lots of cross noise going on, unless you were inside the dome, it probably sounded like shit. Probably why they moved the dome near the entrance/next to what is now car camping Lot 8. Or as I called it "middle of nowhere" The dome location last year was perfect, back inside the festival grounds, next to the foodcourt, bathrooms, etc....cross noise Minimized.

On that note wherever flying lotus is put this time, i will be there.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

His dome set in 09 was great. It was a lot of fun watching daedelus into kode 9 into flylo. One of my favorite Coachella nights ever. Just flew solo and danced my butt off. 2010 was a whole new level though. I am sure he is going to step it up again this year.

I really hope he does not conflict with Radiohead or Godspeed. I just talked to Efrim from godspeed tonight at a silver mt. zion show and he said they are definitely playing at night due to visuals. There is going to be some kind of overlap :/

has there ever been an instance where the headliner isn't the last performer? because if radiohead finished like an hour before the festival was over then people would have time to catch some of FlyLo's and Godspeed You. it seems unlikely but its such a horrible conflict...

thanks for the wikidigest....

has there ever been an instance where the headliner isn't the last performer? because if radiohead finished like an hour before the festival was over then people would have time to catch some of FlyLo's and Godspeed You. it seems unlikely but its such a horrible conflict...
    Yes, it happens when you have multiple headliners on the same stage.

How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

It's definitely possible. Usually reserved for big name dance acts like tiesto and the chemical brothers, but anything could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Here's a little Flylo rundown I posted in another thread.
    No. Don't copy and paste a wiki page and claim it as your own. Don't copy and paste wiki at all, anyone interested in Steve's music has already seen the wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrcandyman View Post
    I've never seen FlyLo before and I'm really excited for his set. I'm just worried about what the crowd is going to be like.

Will the majority of the crowd be tripping and just staring at the visuals or is it a party? Not that I care if you trip, I just like to party.
    The crowd will be packed and skewed slightly to the douchey side. I don't know if that means tripping or partying or what, but plan on a lot of clueless idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    That year the dome was im the middle of the fest grounds, but fairly close to the Doo-Lab and Gobi...Lots of cross noise going on, unless you were inside the dome, it probably sounded like shit. Probably why they moved the dome near the entrance/next to what is now car camping Lot 8. Or as I called it "middle of nowhere" The dome location last year was perfect, back inside the festival grounds, next to the foodcourt, bathrooms, etc....cross noise Minimized.

On that note wherever flying lotus is put this time, i will be there.
    No. In 09 the dome was located near the entrance. And his dome set was the party set of the weekend, I feel bad for anyone who was wasting their time at the Killers, Atmosphere, or MSTRKRFT.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    I feel bad for anyone who was wasting their time at the Killers, Atmosphere, or MSTRKRFT.
    Me too. I was watching Gang Gang Dance close the Gobi. Talk about trippy.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Fly Lo will not conflict with Radiohead. I foresee a conflict with Bon Iver or The Shins, and potentially Mangum on the outdoor. The latter being just as much of a shit conflict though.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    No. In 09 the dome was located near the entrance. And his dome set was the party set of the weekend, I feel bad for anyone who was wasting their time at the Killers, Atmosphere, or MSTRKRFT.
    Had a feeling I was mixing my years there again...insomnia 1, me 0. 2007, the dome was def inside.

My guess is Flylo will have the same set time that Daedelus had last year, 12-close, closing out either the Mojave or Gobi.

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    Had a feeling I was mixing my years there again...insomnia 1, me 0. 2007, the dome was def inside.
    Yes, I remember it being near the Do Lab in 07. Very weird spot. Granted, the tents, outdoor, and do lab weren't nearly as big then, but still a terrible location.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

[QUOTE=greghead;2384538]No. Don't copy and paste a wiki page and claim it as your own. Don't copy and paste wiki at all, anyone interested in Steve's music has already seen the wiki.

I never claimed anything as my own. I copy and pasted everything from Wiki and added videos for people on here that are interested in Flylo so that they don't have to go there, they can just see it here. Just making it more convenient for everyone, and this was initially posted in the Rundown thread. I just decided to include it here since people are talking about his return. Greg