Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: JEFF MANGUM

Default Re: JEFF MANGUM

i know. No photo pit access was allowed. i shot from my place in the crowd with a point and shoot. Crowd wasn't banned.

How large was the crowd for this? Never turned around once during this set

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Also, great pics ivankay.

They made an announcement a couple times before the set started asking people in the crowd not to use their cameras. The announcement was really quiet for some reason and people around me couldn't really hear it. Nonetheless, great pics, ivankay.

i'll make sure not to shoot anything this weekend. my apologies Jeff. i did not hear the announcement and thought the restriction was just for the photo pit. i tried my best to not go high when shooting and was quiet as a mouse in a church. i wish i could say the same for the talking douches near me. i doubt you would contact me though this message board, but all the pics are yours if you want them.

Your pal,

mike (one of the guys that talked to you about Coachella in the lobby of the Berkeley the last night of ATP Asbury Park)

I watched this set sitting on the barrier at the soundboard. it was pretty cool having jeff just sit there, between the sea of people and me. I was very impressed with him, the sunset was just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    How large was the crowd for this? Never turned around once during this set
    Not very big at all, actually. We walked over after Noel Gallagher & found ample space on the right side of the stage to lay in the grass & not have anyone within a 10 foot radius around us. After 20 minutes, we got up and walked to about 3 people back from the rail on the very far right side of the stage, then were successful in getting to about the same spot on the left side of the stage for the final 2 songs. I was surprised the crowd was so sparse, but it really was kind of perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i think my favorite moment of the entire weekend was when he started playing "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" and the horns came out. It was such a beautiful moment.
    THIS! Absolutely perfect.

I've never listened to NMH but I feel I should at least check him out before St Vincent. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Interwebz View Post
    I've never listened to NMH but I feel I should at least check him out before St Vincent. Hmmm.
    I could not recommend any other set at this festival more highly. I literally almost started crying and that...doesn't usually happen

Lurker

He was my favorite performance of the weekend. Every NMH song is so sing-able, so it was a lot of fun hearing everyone around me also screaming all the lyrics

This might have been my favorite set all weekend. I was actually moved to tears a few times during his set.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Not very big at all, actually. We walked over after Noel Gallagher & found ample space on the right side of the stage to lay in the grass & not have anyone within a 10 foot radius around us. After 20 minutes, we got up and walked to about 3 people back from the rail on the very far right side of the stage, then were successful in getting to about the same spot on the left side of the stage for the final 2 songs. I was surprised the crowd was so sparse, but it really was kind of perfect.
    Ah, I see. Surprised it wasn't packed. Also, I really enjoyed the crowd. I was worried about talking during this set but they were actually really respectful and quiet (at least where i was) during the slower songs (Two Headed Boy Pts. I and II, Oh Comely) and sang along nicely when Jeff asked.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    i know. No photo pit access was allowed. i shot from my place in the crowd with a point and shoot. Crowd wasn't banned.
    Crowd was banned. A woman from who knows where came up to me and said no cameras allowed. I looked at her and said, "You are kidding." She said no. Then said to put the camera away to respect Jeff's wishes. "This is about his music, not about photos. You can show him respect or not. It's your choice."

Oh, please. Jeff came onto the stage, sat in a chair and started with some whiney ass folksong. No photos my ass. I took a few then left. He gives out bad karma. Why would GV book an "artist" who does not allow photography. It's a Music & Arts Fest. Sheesh.

VigoTheCarpathian

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan y u no listen to Jeff

He isn't comfortable with photographs or videos being taken of him so there was an announcement made before to abstain from taking any during his performance. He's a normal guy just like any of us, why not respect his wishes. It's not like he even bugged out at the crowd which obviously had cameras up in the air.

One of the main well documented reasons he stopped performing was because of the sudden and overzealous attention from fans and the media. I'm not saying everyone needs to be a historian of the guy but its a simple human (shocker!) request and to get in a huff about it is egregiously childish.

if he plays such "whiny ass folk songs" why would you be at his set in the first place...

To take pictures and say he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Crowd was banned. A woman from who knows where came up to me and said no cameras allowed. I looked at her and said, "You are kidding." She said no. Then said to put the camera away to respect Jeff's wishes. "This is about his music, not about photos. You can show him respect or not. It's your choice."

Oh, please. Jeff came onto the stage, sat in a chair and started with some whiney ass folksong. No photos my ass. I took a few then left. He gives out bad karma. Why would GV book an "artist" who does not allow photography. It's a Music & Arts Fest. Sheesh.
    I hope the voice of Jeff Mangum haunts you in your sleep and you die a slow, painful death.

Did anyone else see Jeff be a total man of class and get up during his set to help the girl that passed out? What a fucking gentleman.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post

gps, this is probably your worst post. talk about bad karma.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

lol @ gps. I think it's one of his best posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I took a picture of the crowd from back by the food court area but Jeff isn't visible. I hope he doesn't mind.
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

loved the set and the brass ensemble for aeroplane. And his little speech to the audience. Which leads me to my disappointment in the audience. Why wasn't every song a massive song along?

I kind of dislike massive sing alongs. I don't want to to hear the brochella dude next to me, I came to hear the artist. I thought Jeff's performance last night was amazing. I wanted to snap a picture but after not just one, but two announcements to the crowd to please not take pictures I decided to respect Jeff's request. I think I was one of the few who did. Everyone around me were ninja snapping pictures.

He kept trying to get the audience to join in on a few though and it was like dead air. If there are bros out there that know NMH lyrics then that's slight progression, right?

Well the guy next to me last weekend decided to sing louder than Jeff and especially on the parts where Jeff stretches his voice to its outer limits (which obviously, that guy did terribly)... that was fun.

Eh yeah. That sounds horrible. I don't know, I was very close and it just seemed like people should have been more into it. A lot of people just looked lost. I was ecstatic to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Well the guy next to me last weekend decided to sing louder than Jeff and especially on the parts where Jeff stretches his voice to its outer limits (which obviously, that guy did terribly)... that was fun.
    Oh dear I hope this wasn't me. Where were you standing?