Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: PULP!!!!!!!

Default Re: PULP!!!!!!!

That Relaxed Muscle thing...

A Rock Star May Steal the Show
    ‘Who’s Zoo?’ by Michael Clark at the Whitney
    By GIA KOURLAS
    Published: April 6, 2012

It’s been a week since the premiere of the British choreographer Michael Clark’s new work at the Whitney Biennial, but that hasn’t been enough time to turn “Who’s Zoo?” into a dance of substance. Though changes have been made, it’s still a patchwork job in the style of Merce Cunningham — but it must be granted that Mr. Clark knows how to amp it up.

In the latest iteration of “Who’s Zoo?,” performed on Thursday afternoon at the Whitney Museum of American Art, with professionals alongside nondancers, the biggest improvement is live music: Relaxed Muscle, a two-member band featuring Jarvis Cocker (of Pulp) and Jason Buckle, perform four of the show’s six songs.

With the addition of live music and a cult-of-personality approach — not only by the spectacularly louche Mr. Cocker, but also by Mr. Clark, who has given himself more cameos this time around — “Who’s Zoo?” is less of a dance than it ever was. Mr. Clark transforms it into a musical experience with movement.

As a result, the six members of his company look more and more like backup dancers. Though the section is not new, the most poignant dance moment occurs when Mr. Clark inserts something like a flash mob in the middle of “Who’s Zoo?” For the work’s large contingent of amateur dancers, all wearing black, the simple, repetitive choreography set to Pulp’s “F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E.” includes a fist to the chest, an arm pointed straight ahead and down toward the floor and, finally, both hands behind the back.

Charles Atlas, credited with the lighting, has added more projections that spell out some of the lyrics of “F.E.E.L.I.N.G.,” but reverses the letters to create a moving jumble against the back wall. It’s a little trippy; in a flash, the dancer Julie Cunningham swipes a question mark away.

As the piece progresses, Mr. Clark insinuates himself more forcibly: at one point, he wields a cane, thrusting it against a curtain that borders a side window of the Whitney’s wide fourth-floor setting. But try as he might, Mr. Clark, bounding up and down the expanse of the stage like a hyperactive ringmaster, can’t begin to compete with the charisma of Mr. Cocker. (Really, the only person in the room who stood a chance was a low-key David Bowie, in the audience.)

Mr. Cocker, in costume as his alter ego, Darren Spooner, has his face and hands blackened and wears a painted brown leather jacket, skeleton shirt and jeans, under which pointy red boots poke out. Aside from his voice, it is his dancing that draws you in: Mr. Cocker, a natural mover whose rhythm is bewilderingly lackadaisical yet full of darting undercurrents, performs slinky steps that stutter backward and forward while singing the Relaxed Muscle songs “The Heavy,” “Let It Ride,” “Beastmaster” and, as an encore, “B-Real.” (The set list is subject to change.)

Like a mad Easter Bunny, he passed out candy and chocolates to puzzled, elderly audience members in the first row. Yes, thanks to Mr. Cocker, it was a weird afternoon. In this case, the music was the dance.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/07/ar...e-whitney.html
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

This was probably one of the best things that's ever happened. A cool story, indeed.

And congratulations to the NYT for their outstanding effort and unparalleled achievement, once again, in the art of reducing a magnificent spectacle to its most absolute mundane description.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Pulp are on Fallon monday?
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

yep. I wonder if Questlove will do some angry tweeting.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

No predictions/wagers? This is Hardcore? Babies? Like a Friend? (which would probably be the best talk show performance ever) Anything aside from Common People and you'll eat your hat?
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

I'm guessing Disco 2000 or Like a Friend, can't see any other tunes being played.

And after reading that NYT articles, I can't keep thinking about the possibility of FEELING CALLED LOVE being played at one of the NYC shows, cannot wait for Tuesday and Wednesday!

Common People? No?

If not, Feeling.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

It's television, so something short. Babies, Disco 2000, or Mis-Shapes.

Live from the BBC Vault: Pulp
    Wed 4/11 3:00 pm ET
    British icons Pulp have reunited and are playing Coachella the next two weekends. Take a trip back to the year 2000 and hear a historc performance from the band at the Leeds festival. (1 hr)

Rebroadcast: Fri 4/13 3:00 am ET; Sun 4/15 9:00 pm ET
    yaaaaaa more pulp!!!
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

somebody want to put that bbc pulp performance on youtube?? pretty please.

I wish this band would reunite at Coachella this year:

Jarvis Cocker (of Pulp) as Myron Wagtail – vocals
    Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead) as Kirley Mcormack – lead guitar
    Jason Buckle (of All Seeing I) as Heathcote Barbary – rhythm guitar
    Steve Mackey (of Pulp) as Donaghan Tremlett – bass
    Steven Claydon (of Add N to (X)) as Gideon Crumb – keyboards and bagpipes
    Phil Selway (of Radiohead) as Orsino Thruston – drums
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Is this the way they say the future's meant to feel, or just 30,000 people standing in a field?

Quote Originally Posted by paperdoll78 View Post
    Is this the way they say the future's meant to feel, or just 30,000 people standing in a field?
    I'm not quite sure exactly what this feeling is

(it's 20,000 btw)

You're right. I must have adjusted for population growth.

I am pretty excited for this.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Report from Fallon taping

Just got back from the taping. They played "Common People" for the show (with an Asian violinist who looked familiar but I couldn't place her), then "Like a Friend" for the website. They sounded great. I was surprised by "Like a Friend", but I guess those of you saying people know the song here might have been correct. The people in the "band benches" (fans who stand behind the band while they play) didn't seem like they were familiar with the song though.

I think Pulp is definitely main stage material.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    For fucking sure they are.
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    This was never up for debate.

12/6: Japandroids/DIIV
    1/10: Mister Lies/Matthewdavid

This Fallon performance made me infinitely more excited for them at Coachella.

Top 5 most anticipated set of the weekend for me.

Lurker

Indeed Russell Senior has been transformed into a young asian girl. Jimmy Fallon's stage is smaller than my bathroom.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....like-a-friend/
    Last edited by AViewFromMisShapes; 04-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.

I heard Russell won't be joining due to his fear of flying. Hasn't the man heard of Xanax?

Quote Originally Posted by lookalive24 View Post
    This Fallon performance made me infinitely more excited for them at Coachella.
    THIS, Not that I wasn't excited before, but still..... EEEEEEEEEEEE!
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Seeing them at Radio City tomorrow, I can't wait!!!

Night 1 in NYC...

Do You Remember the First Time?
    Mis-Shapes
    Razzmatazz
    Pencil Skirt
    Something Changed
    Disco 2000
    Sorted for E's & Wizz
    Live Bed Show
    F.E.E.L.I.N.G.C.A.L.L.E.D.L.O.V.E.
    I Spy
    Babies
    Underwear
    This Is Hardcore
    Sunrise
    Bar Italia
    Common People
    Encore:
    Like a Friend
    Party Hard
    Last edited by Boourns; 04-10-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

that set list is orgasmic.

A live tweeter puts "Live Bed Show" after "Sorted", but the setlist itself lists it in the encore. Either way, it was played. Every song from Different Class except for "Monday Morning".

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

holy shit.

I would rather have monday morning than live bed show, but still...