Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The WEEKND

Default Re: The WEEKND

if this happens in the gobi it'll be a repeat of la roux in 2010.

which is to say absolute fucking chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

The most important thing happening on Sunday. He will not be playing in the daylight, no fucking way. Also, I really don't want him on the Outdoor Stage; his music belongs in a tent.

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes...f_silence.html

Screwed and chopped by OG Ron C and Candlestick
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

What are the odds he gets cold feet and doesn't show at all? He hasn't played a show this big yet has he?

I'm hoping for the best, but a little worried. (Although I had the same fears about Washed Out at Sasquatch last year and he didn't disappoint).

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    Weekend (Slumberland Records) > the Weeknd

I thought thats who it was until just now. Listened to a few songs and its good, but im not blowing my load over it.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    What are the odds he gets cold feet and doesn't show at all? He hasn't played a show this big yet has he?

I'm hoping for the best, but a little worried. (Although I had the same fears about Washed Out at Sasquatch last year and he didn't disappoint).
    I wouldn't be worried. I saw the other week drake said he wished he was going to Coachella because of how good his rehearsal was. He will bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    if this happens in the gobi it'll be a repeat of la roux in 2010.

which is to say absolute fucking chaos.
    That was a fun set! People were going crazy and it was so loud.
    2010 and 2012. -- Check out r/coachella
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick o View Post
    no, stop posting bull shit and trying to hate on every artist who achieves success and isnt considered underground. we get it youre a hipster, now fuck off

anybody have some recommended songs to listen to? I haven't heard of this person before but my friends were talking about him a lot when he released i believe his mixtape or album.
    Friday - Amon Tobin, Breakbot, Frank Ocean, LA Riots, Madeon, M83
    Saturday - Destructo, Dragonette, Feist, Jacques La Cont, Kasabian, Radiohead, SebastiAn
    Sunday - Dj Shadow, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, Flourence and the Machine, Girl Talk, Housse de Racket, Justice, Metronomy, Modeskeletor, Porter Robinson, The Hives, The Weeknd

"Music produces a pleasure that human nature cannot live without"
    Confucius

I'm trying really hard to be open minded about this guy, but what makes him so special? Honest question. He has a good voice, absolutely, but everything I've heard so far sounds like standard R&B, it's not really standing out. I'm still torn though, since a lot of people are saying that this set will be one of the best, I certainly don't want to miss anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by avengeance View Post
    anybody have some recommended songs to listen to? I haven't heard of this person before but my friends were talking about him a lot when he released i believe his mixtape or album.
    I'll start you off with the first tracks off his 3 albums (or "mixtapes" if you prefer but god does that whole usage bother me)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    I'm trying really hard to be open minded about this guy, but what makes him so special? Honest question. He has a good voice, absolutely, but everything I've heard so far sounds like standard R&B, it's not really standing out. I'm still torn though, since a lot of people are saying that this set will be one of the best, I certainly don't want to miss anything special.
    I am enjoying him in large part because of the beats he uses to back his songs, along with his excellent voice.

Quote Originally Posted by avengeance View Post
    http://www.the-weeknd.com

theres 3 albums to download on the site for FREE. enjoy that.

Once I found out The Weeknd was playing at Coachella, there was no way I was going to miss it. I cannot wait for this set. Incredible artist! Still in awe that a 21 year old newbie can bust in and drop 3 amazing albums in 8 months! XO til we OD!! . Can't wait to meet a bunch of Weeknd fans and jam out, cause there sure aint that many around Denver.

Watch this, his first ever live performance. Pretty dope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Ft4NlqVUg

Here's some more recent footage. (Quality isn't great but the vibe is all there)

^ that seals it, this is gonna be so good.

No offense, but if you don't "get it" then it probably will never really hit you (not to sound condescending or anything.) His stuff really isn't standard R&B, its a touch of everything. So spacey, so out there, but still very listenable. Beats are amazing, lyrics are deep and romantic at times but other times about just sippin and drugs, still in a clever way though. Seems like a lot of people fall in love with his music the first time they hear it, and that's how it was with me when I first heard Loft music... and that's where I suggest you start...
    http://youtu.be/HOdNMwTNNhA

Like most artists, starts off in the realm of a single genre, very listenable. Then as time goes on, with more mixtapes, his sound gets more out there, less obvious. But better and better each time.

i think you have to be younger than 25 to "get" whatever there is to get about the weeknd. it's average to good-not-great R&B with deep beats and non-standard (for the genre) synth/space sounds. generally it sounds like a college student singing about how difficult life is at the age of 21 (which it isn't, really). like the above guy said, its good but not's not mind-blowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

i think you have to be younger than 25 to "get" whatever there is to get about the weeknd. it's average to good-not-great R&B with deep beats and non-standard (for the genre) synth/space sounds. generally it sounds like a college student singing about how difficult life is at the age of 21 (which it isn't, really). like the above guy said, its good but not's not mind-blowing.
    I'm 21 actually, I dunno, I guess it's just not my type of music. However, I will say that "Lonely Star" is sounding pretty damn good.

I am so glad to see that he is playing Outside live

It sound nothing like a college student singing about how difficult life is at the age of 21. Did you even listen to the albums?

Anyways, who r you to tell a 21 yr old life is not hard? Wtf man, don't claim to know all about life based on your simple little experience.

Which acts will hypothetically maybe play against The Weeknd? I'm most worried about missing Florence, but now I am getting concerned about Beirut as well

F
    Quote Originally Posted by Brezzy View Post
    It sound nothing like a college student singing about how difficult life is at the age of 21. Did you even listen to the albums?

Anyways, who r you to tell a 21 yr old life is not hard? Wtf man, don't claim to know all about life based on your simple little experience.
    For the record, House of Balloons was nominated for the Polaris prize last year (Canada's choice of best music recording.) The Weeknd lost out to Arcade Fire's The Suburbs.

I am over 40 and and can't stop listening to his tracks.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is no denying the talent is there...

PS Drake sucks hairy rubber balls...

I agree with the above. You don't have to like him; there's a lot of bands that I would say are "talented" that I don't like, simply because they aren't my particular cup of tea. But to say that The Weeknd's approach to R&B is not fresh is outlandish. The talent from Abel is obvious, there's no refuting that claim.

I totally disagree. I'm turning 33 this week and I'm not a huge fan of most R&B, but House of Balloons was in my top 5 albums of the year.

R&B isn't something I find myself searching for all that often, but the weeknd's shit just clicks with some people including myself. Besides, baby-making music sounds good at any age.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

This guy's voice isn't "good" - its incredible - and keeps getting better with each release. I can't help but hear the reincarnation of Michael Jackson on 'D.D.'

The music isn't like anything else I've heard. Its sexy, filthy, and unpredictable. I'm 31 and - like others - not typically an R&B fan, but it is clear to me that Abel is a special talent. Comments like this baffle me:

...sounds like standard R&B, it's not really standing out.
    Please show your work. I'm sure many of us would love to hear more music like this:

Last edited by lostatlimbo; 01-22-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
    https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

The Weeknd should be kept away from any woman you have ever cared about. He should also make many, many, many more records.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

At first listen I only dug the music and not the voice even though he is a talented singer but he has been REALLY growing on me. Very excited for this performance!

Lord Huron -> C2C -> Beardyman -> Pete Tong -> Lee Scratch Perry -> Modest Mouse -> Beach House -> Purity Ring -> Jurassic 5 -> How to Destroy Angels -> Birdy Nam Nam -> Allen Stone -> The Selecter -> Puscifer -> Violent Femmes -> Simian Mobile Disco -> Moby -> Wild Belle -> Grimes -> James Blake -> Pretty Lights -> Wu-Tang -> OMD -> Roni Size & Dynamite Mc -> Dead Can Dance

super stoked for this!!!

I love the backing instrumentals and the tone of their voices, but the lyrics are taking women and minorities back two generations.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.