Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: The WEEKND

Default Re: The WEEKND

Quote Originally Posted by Apex17 View Post
    Looking for a weekend squeeze?? ...Go to the Weeknd's set. lady hysteria...
    this.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I can't wait to see him this Sunday. It looked and sounded even better than i expected.

it was clear he was inexperienced with playing to large crowds, but he was solid. i'd be more interested in seeing him in a couple years when he's had time to sharpen his performances a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

Much much better than performance than I expected. I'm not familiar with his stuff but there was one song about half way through that had a fuzzy, shoegazer vibe to go along with his airy, lilting voice. I really liked it. And yea, lots of girls.

Side note- I did try initially to catch Gotye. But that tent was just insane. I have never seen a tent as packed as the one for Gotye.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Side note- I did try initially to catch Gotye. But that tent was just insane. I have never seen a tent as packed as the one for Gotye.
    I'm sure it was pretty empty after he played "Used to Know."
    05-12.2

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post

Seriously. We left after about 20 minutes of The Weekend. After nimbly wading through the crowd for 5 minutes, we were still at least 10 feet back of the left side of the tent. As his performance continued, there were people stacked up almost to the Gobi. If there were to be any stage changes for Weekend 2, I think switching Gotye and Girl Talk would probably be the best one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

^Agreed. I somehow doubt there will be any venue changes between weekends 1 and 2, but who knows?

And I don't want to digress too much here since this is a thread for the Weeknd (who I very much recommend seeing), but at one point I was in the Beer Garden between the Main stage and the Outdoor stage and found myself choosing between Justice and Girl Talk while I finished my beer. Both were atrocious crap.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Felt like his vocals weren't loud enough, although his voice sounds great live. Crowd response was okay I guess, but that didn't stop me from singing along and getting down. Best song that translated live was 'The Party and the After Party."
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

This was such an awesome set. Thank god the bass was loud enough... Felt great getting in really close, and Morning > HoB/GTG > What You Need (acoustic) was a perfect ending. I really wanted to hear "Next" though. His band sounded fucking great even if he was a bit flat/off-key in a few parts

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Ray del Mundo View Post
    This is gonna be great. (Tho, The Weeknd, in a tent, late at night, just seems like it coulda been something just sweaty, grimey, and epic. Not complaining, or anything, just sayin)
    ^this. He's built for small environments at night. Been at a couple of his shows like this and it was epic.

Quote Originally Posted by dmxjr View Post
    I saw the weeknd in Ontario and it was incredible. I have some HD photos of his performance you can find below.

The rest is at http://thetopwindow.com/

Really great show. Played songs from all mixtapes. Even tried doing some micheal jackson type dance moves. i went to his 5th show but he's done many since then in preparation for coachella. It'll probably be his best show yet.
    This was in Waterloo, amazing show

The Weeknd put on a great performance, but unless you were pretty close to the stage, all you could hear was people talking. The volume was ridiculously low and it sort of ruined the set for me... And it was one of my highly anticipated ones, too. I wanted to attack all the people who were talking, but I especially wanted to attack the sound booth for not moving the dial past 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

There will a million teenage girls screaming for the Weeknd. It was like the audience for the Beatles during the Ed Sullivan show.

I really wanted to enjoy this, but i guess it just wasn't translating to me. The left side was packed at the beginning, but quickly dwindled after about the third song. Excellent voice and sound but we left maybe 4 songs in.

I made it to the front of the soundboard and was very happy with my spot. It was loud enough and the crowd around me was perfect. Singing but not too obnoxiously and no general talking. I thought the music was perfect for sunset on the outdoor. He was off key at times but I hardly even noticed until watching the webcast. If any 2nd weekenders are contemplating seeing him, I suggest to get there early and move in closer.

For a brand new artist, its pretty impressive that he could play a whole set and still have songs that I wished he played. I think he will be huge after a year of touring. Looking forward to the Fillmore show.

I agree roast. Even though he didn't hit every single note, I loved the set and the band sounded perfect. Exactly what I wanted.

Here's a recording of the set for whoever wants it. Really great, pretty sure it's from the webcast.

http://www.hulkshare.com/to5mcjxfujp7

Waited through Wild Flag, only to be packed in by teenage girls and their dudes, talking about when to pop their last adarol and drink the last of their booze. I circled back and got a great spot...Sorr for the shaky vids but the sound is really good i think.

Really Impressed with the vocals and his stage persona. For the biggest show he's ever done, I give him a ton of props. This might have been my most anticipated set and I was not disappointed although my wife was cause she went to a dead Gotye tent. Going to see him in Seattle on the 11th.

One of the best, i just wish the douchebags next to me would have shut the fuck up.
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

^^^^ Fuckkkkkk thank you for posting that "Wicked Games" video. I missed this set and I regret it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    ^^^^ Fuckkkkkk thank you for posting that "Wicked Games" video. I missed this set and I regret it so much.

I know. That'll teach me to drink on Sunday.

I was lagging Sunday too... A bunch of morning beers weren't the best idea, but I fought through it.

I'm sure somebody caught him Weeknd 2. How was he?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

I watched him weekend 2 after making the mistake of attempting Gotye weekend 1 only to get pissed off by the crowd and wish that I had gone to the weeknd in the first place. Had a good spot in front of the soundboard so I was able to see/dance. He sounded great, solid set, although there were a few issues with his mic at times, but nothing major.

The crowd was pretty funny, There was one girl on the rail who got shown on the cameras quite a bit. She was crying hysterically through the whole set like he was Justin Bieber or something. And people had like neon granny panties they were attempting to get on stage with their phone numbers written on them. I'm glad I decided to stay back where I could chill and dance without having spazzy horny chicks freaking out over every song crowded around.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Here is my playlist for the whole weekend 1 set

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...5&feature=plcp

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Got to tell him how awesome he was at both Coachella weekends

Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Woah cool poster!

Can anyone access this? http://the-weeknd.com/blog/ Posted on his twitter account a few mins ago. Wondering if it's anything good but it has been down due to capacity issues since under a minute after it was posted. Yet people keep retweeting.

Coachella Junkie

It's a blog. It has pictures and stuff.

The cryptic Facebook and twitter updates are getting pretty obnoxious. I liked him better when he appeared not to give a fuck.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Upcoming shows
    Events