Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The WEEKND

Default Re: The WEEKND

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I love the backing instrumentals and the tone of their voices, but the lyrics are taking women and minorities back two generations.
    He's supposed to be a problematic narrator. The best part about these albums, if you listen in to the whole situation, is that his crazy, drug-fueled life eventually makes him feel isolated and self-loathing. The character in this songs (I'm assuming Abel Tesfaye is not really gorging himself on cocaine, oxycontin, ecstasy and prostitutes as much as he claims) is a compellingly messy dude with really, really sketchy morals. It's an anti-hero protagonist. Like Dexter or Tony Montana or something.

Also I have a reflexive discomfort with anyone claiming that any one particular piece of artistic anything is having any sort of human-rights-issue consequences. Taking minorities back? Not trying to start some shit, but arguing that because a black dude is singing about doing dark shit its doing some kind of violence to black people as a group insinuates that one member of a race has the power to fuck things up for everybody. If it's that delicate, then we might as well give up the civil rights struggle now. That's an argument that's been hurled at minorities (sometimes by minorities themselves) for a while now, and it's a hair's-width away from saying that a girl deserved to get raped because she was wearing a short skirt.

Not to soapbox. You have the right to your opinion.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Thank you for acknowledging my opinion and for the explanation of his lyrics.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    He's supposed to be a problematic narrator. The best part about these albums, if you listen in to the whole situation, is that his crazy, drug-fueled life eventually makes him feel isolated and self-loathing. The character in this songs (I'm assuming Abel Tesfaye is not really gorging himself on cocaine, oxycontin, ecstasy and prostitutes as much as he claims) is a compellingly messy dude with really, really sketchy morals. It's an anti-hero protagonist. Like Dexter or Tony Montana or something.

Also I have a reflexive discomfort with anyone claiming that any one particular piece of artistic anything is having any sort of human-rights-issue consequences. Taking minorities back? Not trying to start some shit, but arguing that because a black dude is singing about doing dark shit its doing some kind of violence to black people as a group insinuates that one member of a race has the power to fuck things up for everybody. If it's that delicate, then we might as well give up the civil rights struggle now. That's an argument that's been hurled at minorities (sometimes by minorities themselves) for a while now, and it's a hair's-width away from saying that a girl deserved to get raped because she was wearing a short skirt.

Not to soapbox. You have the right to your opinion.

THIS! You're right on too many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Thank you for acknowledging my opinion and for the explanation of his lyrics.
    No sweat
    Thanks for being nice on the Internet.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Too excited for this...

I can't wait!!
    2010 * 2011 * 2012.1 * 2013.2

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Blipsters
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

What I personally think is so revolutionary about The Weeknd is that he is working in a genre that generally glorifies sex and drugs, while his take is much darker, and ultimately infinitely more realistic. On one hand, his lyrics taken at face value insinuate that he's very much happy with his lifestyle, but the nuances in his vocals and the atmospheric and sometimes menacing production allow you to see what's really happening behind the scenes: the comedowns, the loneliness that anonymous sex can bring, his deep insecurities, borderline addiction, mental health issues, etc. Ironically, his songs are probably the most realistic soundtrack of what really goes down behind the scenes in pop/hip-hop/R&B circles. I think the chorus of House of Balloons really embodies his whole aesthetic...this is a party record on the surface, but it's a party that is threatening to fly of the tracks into chaos or depression at any second, and when he sings the chorus ("this is / a happy house / we're happy here" and "we're having fun, fun, fun, fun") it sounds like he is trying to convince himself more so than anybody else. And then it eventually succumbs to the darkness during Glass Table Girls, only to "wake up", so to speak, with the lush and evocative The Morning, which offers at least a glimmer of happiness until he fucks it all up again.

I also think his widespread popularity is attributable to the fact that our generation (20 somethings) is often described (and fairly accurately) as embracing an extended adolescence and lacking direction in the sense of "I know exactly what I'm doing with my life". Whether or not you're into drugs or anonymous sex, I think he hits notes that a lot of people are feeling.

Last but not least, he has some of the more effortlessly pretty (Rolling Stone), sensual (The Morning), lush (The Zone) and hypnotic (What You Need) R&B songs to come out in years. If these were straightforward songs they'd be great, and the dark and cautionary undertones they embrace take them to a genius level, in my opinion.

I'd love to see him, but I'm trying my best not to commit to anything to the clusterfuck of conflicts that's going to be Sunday after 8:30.

more like The Weaknd.

amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    more like The Weaknd.

amirite?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by serranocarlos View Post

Too excited for this...

Son of a bitch... Am I the only debbie downer that gets annoyed when an entire crowd of people feel its necessary to sing a long, at the top of their lungs, to an entire fucking song?

That sounded like Kids Bop - The Weeknd.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    What I personally think is so revolutionary about The Weeknd is that he is working in a genre that generally glorifies sex and drugs
    He's not a rapper.
    Kaaaaast

He's a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    He's not a rapper.
    Those squeaky clean R&B singers...

^ why u post trash?
    Can I Be The Rap Headliner?

Quote Originally Posted by geonotgio View Post
    i love haters though. keep em coming!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by geonotgio View Post
    You're getting overly confident behind that keyboard clown.

Someone sell me on this guy. I don't get what the big deal is.

It's dark, twisted, sex, drugs, and R&B music with electronic influenced production perfect to grind out to. Lyrically, many individual songs are lacking but if you listen to the albums collectively, he can sing his ass off so much that you can feel them and get immersed into the character he develops over the trilogy. Someone hurt the dude for sure and it's fun to get into the zone of that protagonist for an hour then back to normal life although like a good mind fuck, it still lingers.

Edit: hmm seems that if I read the posts before me, this point has been sold many times.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 02-09-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    Son of a bitch... Am I the only debbie downer that gets annoyed when an entire crowd of people feel its necessary to sing a long, at the top of their lungs, to an entire fucking song?

That sounded like Kids Bop - The Weeknd.
    I agree. I'm hoping the crowd at Coachella won't out sing him because the venue is bigger and speakers louder then in the videos. I'm afraid since he is a rookie, if the crowd does all the work for him, he may get lazy to the detriment to his performance.

Do you guys like The-Dream?

I dig him, definitely more 'mainstream' R&B/pop but he's definitely underrated imo.
    last.fm
    Friday: Yuck Kendrick Lamar Other Lives The Black Angels Frank Ocean M83 The Rapture Explosions in the Sky Amon Tobin
    Saturday: Radiohead Bon Iver Miike Snow Flying Lotus SBTRKT A$AP Rocky Azealia Banks We Were Promised Jetpacks Keep Shelly in Athens
    Sunday: At The Drive-In Dr. Dre & Snoop The Weeknd Justice Modeselektor Santigold Nero Thundercat Metronomy Wild Beasts Real Estate

*subject to change

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Those squeaky clean R&B singers...
    Every video you posted has a rapper in it and even one of the songs ONLY has rappers in it. Yeah you don't know what you're talking about lol
    Kaaaaast

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    Do you guys like The-Dream?
    Love him. His three albums (excluding '1977') have been three of the best R&B albums of the past few years.

For those of you that don't get it, download one of his free LPs and give it a spin before going to bed or having sex. You'll be sold by the second or third track.
    Last edited by rjadams90; 02-09-2012 at 09:15 PM.

If you can get past the shitty crowd singing along you can see that he is getting much better already with his live performances. FUCK THE CROWD. I hope Coachella's crowd gets it and shuts the fuck up.

What are the chances of him playing Initiation with the vocal effects?

I don't think anyone posted this yet.

I think this will be a performance that we'll reminisce for years to those who unfortunately miss it.
    Jay HOVA Z BABYYY

man, this dude is incredible. Any chance he doesn't conflict Dre or Justice (or Beirut or Modeselektor)? Would be great to have him close out Mojave. Just f'ing, dirty, grimy, and sweaty in a jammed packed tent to end the festival. Perfect (except probably having to miss Dre & Snoop and maybe Justice too).

Coachella Junkie

Girl put in work girl girl put in work. Girl put in work girl girl put in work. This shit is revolutionary.

I pray he is one of the pre-coachella shows at The Glass House
    Kaaaaast