Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: At The Drive-In Reunited!

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: At The Drive-In Reunited!

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    I was pretty annoyed by his lack of emotion during the show, but given that I just found out that his mom died, I'll withhold some judgment. While I'm sure that he would have been just as seemlingly-bored without that on his mind, death's hard, so I'll pretend that perhaps he had wanted to act like he cared otherwise.
    yeah but i don't think he's that into this reunion very much mom dead or not. he said that the reunion is like putting on an old t-shirt that doesn't fit anymore. he's moved on and this is just a cash grab for him. cedric and jim seem to really be enjoying this though.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

i wish i could have seen the looks on the faces of the dre/snoop crowd during some of cedric's one liners

I was on the front rail for this show. It was nuts. I spotted myself on the webcast. My only complaint is that we got about 1/2 the setlist that the Texas shows got. I'm really only super sad about missing Metronome Arthritis though. I also scored Vaya on vinyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

I was kinda disappointed by Omar's lack of enthusiasm as well, but hearing that his mother passed so recently could kind of explain that I think. The rest of the band had great energy so at least we got that. I was pretty bummed that they came on late and ended at the same time too .. oh well. I'm curious though, with Omar discussing how this is only for the money etc. does anyone know how much they actually got paid?

This was one of the best sets of the weekend for me. Omar did seem stiff, but he played everything great so I can't hate on him for that. The rest of the band seemed like they were having a lot of fun, especially Cedric which was pleasantly surprising.

Tony was the high point for me. Guy was attacking the drums and acting like he wanted to be there more than anyone else.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I was rocking out this whole set but when "One-Armed Scissor" came on I just completely lost it. So much so that I actually ended up hurting myself kind of badly haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    I was on the front rail for this show. It was nuts. I spotted myself on the webcast. My only complaint is that we got about 1/2 the setlist that the Texas shows got. I'm really only super sad about missing Metronome Arthritis though. I also scored Vaya on vinyl.
    how much was the Vaya vinyl?

Vaya was $25. Yellow Marble vinyl. They were on ebay later that Friday going for $45.

I too was disappointed in Omar's lack of enthusiasm, but after hearing about his mom, I understand. Plus everyone else brought the energy. That was the highlight of the weekend for me.

I am sorry to hear about Omar's mom but glad to see there was an explanation for his glum demeanor. He really played well though. Plus it was a great show! I thought Cedric looked and sounded fantastic. A welcome relief after his odd turn at Coachella last year with Omar's band. Overall it didn't top Refused's performance, but it was one of the best shows I saw.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I have to sadly say I may have been to drunk to properly enjoy their set. I will gladly say I was drunk as hell having a really dam good time going crazy.

Does anyone have a setlist from weekend 2? I'm mostly wondering if they played Metronome Arthritis. They had been playing it at the Texas warmup shows, but then their set was so short, they cut it (and a couple others) from weekend 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    Does anyone have a setlist from weekend 2? I'm mostly wondering if they played Metronome Arthritis. They had been playing it at the Texas warmup shows, but then their set was so short, they cut it (and a couple others) from weekend 1.
    They did. It was awesome.

God they were so good. I was close enough that everyone around me was super into it, and that set list is so great. Sure Cedric can't scream and he doesn't sing as hard as he used to, but he still had so much energy and I loved it. We even got a brief smile from Omar.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Facebook | Twitter | Last.fm | YouTube

Coachella '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Xbox Live GT: iEy3con | Top 5 Call of Duty Clan: Semper Fi

I've waited years to catch at the drive in live, and frankly I didn't think I ever would. Such a great show, awesome energy and seeing them live was a whole different experience than watching the recording of week 1. It's understandable from Omar's position. Not only did he play a bummed out show shortly after his mom passed, but he had to play TWO. Props to him though, he is still a great great great guitarist. We can't expect them to have the hyped sets they used to in back in the day. They're already established and matured now but I was super stoked to see Cedric still went after it and jumped off the drum set, and loved his crazy arm crawl maneuver.
    I love this band and no matter how much energy the have or lack, the music is enough to get the party going. Only gripe is there were no acrobatic tenement songs. That album was so great!

I was surprised by how much energy Cedric gave it, plus he was hilarious. His hand stands and amp jumps were reminiscent of TMV circa 2005

It took me about 3 songs into the set to find a spot in the crowd where people weren't just standing still.
    Once I found that group of people we all rocked the fuck out.
    So much fun.
    My personal favorite set of the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    It took me about 3 songs into the set to find a spot in the crowd where people weren't just standing still.
    Once I found that group of people we all rocked the fuck out.
    So much fun.
    My personal favorite set of the weekend.
    This was exactly what I did. I high-fived the people around me after the show, because everyone was dancing and jumping around. Epic

Sooo what songs did they play weekend 2 that they didn't weekend 1? I know they could have gotten 2 or 3 more with extra minutes they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Sooo what songs did they play weekend 2 that they didn't weekend 1? I know they could have gotten 2 or 3 more with extra minutes they had.
    Metronome Arthritis.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

They brought up during the set weekend 2 that they were one of the first bands to ever play Coachella, opening the mainstage in 1999 I believe is what he said. He thanked Goldenvoice sincerely. I enjoyed weekend 2's set a tad more than weekend 1 I think, and they seemed to try harder since their big reunion the weekend prior was forgotten after the Tupac hologram. They also went to about 5 minutes after 10 if my watch wasn't busted.

Yes! I didn't go the first weekend, but that cirque de soleil line before Chanbara was jokes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Bater View Post
    This was exactly what I did. I high-fived the people around me after the show, because everyone was dancing and jumping around. Epic
    Damn, I wish I was around more energetic peeps instead of zombies...it's all good though, I thoroughly headbanger boogied / rocked out of mah socks / whatever you wanna call it to this MONUMENTAL set!!!

LOVED IT !

Never thought that it happen so to pop my Coachella cherry with Refused & ATDI in the same weekend....nothing I say will do justice to the weekend I had.

Thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Weknow View Post
    Damn, I wish I was around more energetic peeps instead of zombies...it's all good though, I thoroughly headbanger boogied / rocked out of mah socks / whatever you wanna call it to this MONUMENTAL set!!!
    Yeah, those groups were surprisingly rare. The second ATDI started playing I started scanning to find they fun people. I really could not believe how downer most of the crowd was.

I definitely didn't identify with Cedric's rants as much as I did when I was a teenager. Fuck yeah I buy things on Amazon.com.

I wish I could go back and watch it all over again.
    "Moove yuoor ooss, yuoo-a doonkey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish Chef View Post
    I wish I could go back and watch it all over again.
    This. I've been looking for the live stream cap from weekend one but all the links have been taken down Anyone come across anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Yeah, those groups were surprisingly rare. The second ATDI started playing I started scanning to find they fun people. I really could not believe how downer most of the crowd was.
    I guess I got lucky and found myself in a good spot, because everyone was getting down and singing along to every song

did one of those people happen to be holding a coachella water bottle the whole time while rocking out?