Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Godspeed You! Black Emperor...

Default Re: Godspeed You! Black Emperor...

I'm a huge fan and I wish I could have seen them (worst conflict of the festival by far), but I console myself with the idea that you don't really need to "see" GY!BE in the literal sense.

Of course, its amazing to hear them live, but that stage looks so dark, you can't see anything they do. I had a similar experience with them last year. They were all sitting down on the stage for most of the show, so all you could see were the tops of their heads (I'm 6'3" btw - they were hidden to just about everyone except front row).

In reality, I probably missed out on one of the best shows at Coachella this year for a spot 15 people back during Radiohead, but if I keep telling myself I didn't miss much while I blast LYSFLATH at home, everything will be okay.
    https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I'm really glad I got to see rocket falls this week. it's my favorite song of theirs, and the live take on it is quite unique.
    The ominous nature of the 2nd half of this piece gives me chills every time I listen.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post
    I'm a huge fan and I wish I could have seen them (worst conflict of the festival by far), but I console myself with the idea that you don't really need to "see" GY!BE in the literal sense.

Of course, its amazing to hear them live, but that stage looks so dark, you can't see anything they do. I had a similar experience with them last year. They were all sitting down on the stage for most of the show, so all you could see were the tops of their heads (I'm 6'3" btw - they were hidden to just about everyone except front row).

In reality, I probably missed out on one of the best shows at Coachella this year for a spot 15 people back during Radiohead, but if I keep telling myself I didn't miss much while I blast LYSFLATH at home, everything will be okay.
    Disagree. While their stage presence is minimal, their projectors enhance their performance exponentially.
    The Eels - 5.14.14 @ The Crescent Ballroom

So, when I returned from coachella one of my neighbors noticed the coachella window paint n my car. He asked if I had gone to coachella when i said yes he asked if I had seen GY!BE, I told him no and that Im not super into them then he said "oh i guess its just a college thing"

Should I be offended?
    Is GY!BE a college thing?
    Is that why I'm not into them?

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucketofpower View Post
    Disagree. While their stage presence is minimal, their projectors enhance their performance exponentially.
    at the big sur show they wouldn't play before dark because they didn't want to play without visuals.

at first I wanted them to play earlier because I thought seeing them as the sun set would have been amazing. when the show went on, however, I conceded that the visuals were a crucial component.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew 619 View Post
    So, when I returned from coachella one of my neighbors noticed the coachella window paint n my car. He asked if I had gone to coachella when i said yes he asked if I had seen GY!BE, I told him no and that Im not super into them then he said "oh i guess its just a college thing"

Should I be offended?
    Is GY!BE a college thing?
    Is that why I'm not into them?
    no it is not a college thing. that's how people describe things they "experimented with" in college. your neighbor was probably exposed to some new music in college and only commercial radio after that. gy!be was probably one of the bands he heard.

Yeah I dunno. I'm sure visuals add/color the experience, but I had an amazing time just closing my eyes for minutes on end at chella. Psychs + inside of my eyelids... My own visuals were enough

I agree, I found their visuals to be almost distracting. I kept wanting to close my eyes and just take the music in, but I kept getting curious about the visuals they would pair with songs. By the last song I didn't care and just kept my eyes closed.
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 04-26-2012 at 10:04 PM.
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Yeah I agree completely. I wanted to see what they were doing up there but the lighting was so poor on stage and the backdrop was so bright behind them that I really couldn't see the projections whatsoever. The music was fucking insane though.

And the atmosphere inside that tent??? I was not tripping that hard when I walked in, but the wind and general apocalyptic vibes flowing all over the place. Fuck, take me back

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    no it is not a college thing. that's how people describe things they "experimented with" in college. your neighbor was probably exposed to some new music in college and only commercial radio after that. gy!be was probably one of the bands he heard.
    I agree, but wasn't there a movie, Pineapple Express maybe, where the guy is talking to his girlfriend (who is in high school) about why he is worried about her going to college....something like "you'll go to college, drink beers, meet boys, listen to god speed you black emperor" etc etc etc
    I thought it was funny when I first heard that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    I agree, but wasn't there a movie, Pineapple Express maybe, where the guy is talking to his girlfriend (who is in high school) about why he is worried about her going to college....something like "you'll go to college, drink beers, meet boys, listen to god speed you black emperor" etc etc etc
    I thought it was funny when I first heard that
    oh yeah. that's more likely it.

stupid pop culture.
    Last edited by shakermaker113; 04-27-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lostatlimbo View Post

The other thing worth mentioning is that, at least weekend 2, there was NOBODY in the tent during their set. It was like me and maybe 400 other people (I suck at estimating crowds, so this could be way off). You could have walked right up and sat like 10 feet from the stage had you been so inclined. I'm just don't think I'll ever have another opportunity to see them in what ended up being such an intimate setting (I know, weird, right, cuz it was in the middle of an 80,000 person festival). In any case, I wouldn't have missed this set for anything and I'm so, so happy it did not conflict with Radiohead. I would have no problem with GV having Godspeed back every single year - they were fantastic. I hope someday to get to catch one of their full length sets.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)

400 sounds about right for a godspeed you black emperor show. I don't think the venues they have been playing are much larger than that.

Re: visuals

I don't know what the visuals have been like at their solo shows, but the visuals at Coachella were very minimal compared to what they were like when I saw them at I'll Be Your Mirror UK last Summer. It seems like at Coachella it was just a white screen half the time, which was odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

No words. Simply beautiful.

For what it's worth...I saw GYBE's complete performance and made it near the rail for Radiohead 5-10 minutes before they started.

By chance, does anyone happen to have the audio or video from their Week 2 set? Someone claimed to have it in one of the video threads, but it hasn't been posted (last I checked). Given GY!BE's stance on recordings/bootlegs I'm a little surprised that I can't find this anywhere. Of course, I could hardly fault anyone for just enjoying the set instead of recording it. But still, I wanna re-live it :-)
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)

http://pitchfork.com/news/46420-gods...nce-fall-tour/
    They keep touring, I wonder if they in fact will release new material.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by SFtoCoachella View Post
    ahhh....all these comments make me regret not seeing them!!
    Indeed, powerful stuff. I saw Miike Snow instead.
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Got my tix for Tipitina's. EXCIIIIIIIIITEEEEEEEEED!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by anadin View Post
    Whatevs message boards are gay