Thread: Lake El Dorado positives and negatives

Default Lake El Dorado positives and negatives

Considering stayin al Lake El Dorado, anyone who stayed there las year have some review? thanks

Default Re: Lake El Dorado positives and negatives

Stayed last year after being caught out by car camping selling out so quickly.

Biggest benefits are the peace and quiet but still close to the action if you want to get amongst it, minimal lines for showers and toilets not as abused. Although the airconditioned crappers they promised were always flooded/out of order.

But you pay a lot for the privilege of sleeping on a basic camp bed in a tent covered in talcum powder (I think) so all your stuff turns white. 2-person tents didn't include chairs or a cooler so had to also buy them beforehand. Not a lot of security until Saturday so we were walking in and out with being checked on the Thursday and Friday but we had a locker so all valuables went straight into that. Apart from your campsite not much else provided i.e. no real Lake Eldorado 'exclusives' apart from someone playing tunes next to the lake during the day.

Overall I thought it was definitely expensive for what we got and a few teething problems but if you can afford it, value your sleep, don't enjoy queuing for an hour in the sun for a shower, don't want to worry about carrying camping gear then I'd say worth the cost. By the way I heard from a few people that the teepees are really hot as not much breeze gets into them so regular ones stay a bit cooler.

Gracias por la info!

Hope I didn't sound too negative as really did enjoy it, was great to head back to a quiet campground after the sensory overload of Coachella, but maybe I'm just getting old. Just wanted folks to know that you're only really provided with the basics i.e tent, bed, shower and toilet so don't expect much more than that.

One thing I've learnt from going to a few Coachellas is that these guys really try to improve every year so maybe they've got more things planned for Lake Eldorado this year.

We were camped rite on the lake..... beside some lamewads from Saskatchewan, HA!! There were Aussies all over, as being from Fernie BC it was bidniss as usual. Just like Al & Mel said, nothing real special except the price. We are staying there again, cause it is better than car camping.

We stayed there last year and bought two four person tents for this year. I really recommend it, with some caveats.

The setting is beautiful IF you are by the lake. Then there are rows of tents to the back of the site that look like a concentration camp. It's first come first serve, get there early (well, not that early, we got ours at probably 4:00ish and there were probably 25% of the lakeside tents left), and I think only four person tents and teepees were by the lake.

I thought the security was great, they thoroughly checked our wristbands every time. And on the flipside, we were not even searched when we walked in with our stuff. You could have brought black tar and moonshine into that campground and nobody would have noticed.

Air conditioned toilets were fantastic, although the men's stopped working on Sunday. Line for the shower was at most ten minutes, usually five, once again air conditioned. You are right by the farmer's market/Spicy Pie, which was great. Charging stations were almost never full.

Crowd was fun, and I make no exaggeration when I say it was probably about 50% Australian. It was absurd. Really friendly people, we didn't meet one sketchy person all weekend. It was like the tent camping sense of community without that creepy old guy on acid who tries to grope your friend.

The coolers they give you are awful, our ice melted within hours, bring your own. Also, we were lucky to get a tent next to a huge palm tree, but I'd bring a canopy just in case because some tents definitely did not have shade outdoors.

It's a shit ton of money, but at the end of the day we decided it was worth it. You get enough luxury but it still feels like Coachella, and you are closer to entrance then a lot of the tent and car campers which you can't do at a hotel.

Good advice re getting there early and picking a good spot. We got there just after lunch on the Thursday but because we'd booked 2 person tents we couldn't camp lakeside but managed to get one at the end of the first row back next to the walkway between the main blocks of tents. So still managed to get a view, a breeze, and some shade by sitting under a nearby plam tree. Wouldn't have been too happy stuck out back in the tent ghetto where there is no shade.

We're Aussies and even we were taken aback by the number of other Aussies camping there. I think they must've been part of a tour group as a huge number turned up at the same time, wasn't really expecting to travel so far to hear Aussie accents everywhere.

It's a little upsetting that there's no complimentary breakfast included - there was for VIP campers in 2008 and I believe the price was comparable to the current Lake Eldorado option.

But I still think the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for the heads up to show up early. Flying into Palm Springs around noon and will get there as soon as possible, hopefully not stuck with too crummy of a location.
    Last edited by microcuts; 01-13-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    But I still think the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks for the heads up to show up early. Flying into Palm Springs around noon and will get there as soon as possible, hopefully not stuck with too crummy of a location.
    If you have a four person tent and you're flying in at 12:00 you should be fine. I'd only worry about location if you're getting in at the evening. Two person tents are kind of screwed since virtually all of them (or all of them?) are in the "ghetto". Any tent by the lake is beautiful, although only some get shade from palm trees. I'd bring a shade canopy just in case. See you at El Dorado! We'll be the messy tent with the cardboard crab in front hah.

Thanks for posting about this because I too have lots of questions about the El Dorado camping, many of which were already answered in this thread. Here are some additional questions, and if anyone can answer them I'd greatly appreciate it!
    1) How big are the coolers they give you? What do you do with your stuff when you're at the festival?
    2) As a follow up to #1, how close is the parking for El Dorado to where the tents are. I assume that you bascially have to put all of your belongings in your car every day before you go in order to safeguard them; although someone did mention lockers below...more details on lockers appreciated.
    3) My friend bought the tix, but I'm showing up first...I presume this won't be a problem?
    4) Anyone who went last year, do you know how the VIP upgrade works and approximate cost last year?
    5) If you get a spot on the lake, do you have room in front of your tent to set up any additional lounging areas?
    6) How comfi are the cots and sleeping bag/pillows they give you? Would you recommend bringing air matresses instead and/or your own blankests/linens? And is a 4 person tent even big enough to fit say 2 queen air mattresses?
    7) How cold was it at night? I was there last year, but stayed in house, but I know it was pretty chilly at night, and want to know what it was like sleeping in the desert with that chilly night air.
    8) Is the 1:30 noise curfew strictly enforced or do we have to worry about potentially loud neighbors all night?
    9) Do they have a tent for the El Dorado campers (preferably with AC) where you can go and veg out during the day if it gets too hot?
    10) If anyone has any recommendations of things to bring, things to leave at home...things you wish you would have brought last year...I'd love to hear!

Sorry...I know it's a lot of questions, but I want to be prepared for "roughing it" this year ;-) I'm so looking forward to the camping experience and want to get the most out of it...without being surprised when I get there!

Thanks in advance!!!

Erica - We've camped out in the past but this is our first time for El Dorado. But I can offer my thoughts on a few of your items.

1. We've camped out at Coachella three different years. We leave most of our stuff in the tent and have never had a problem. However the few valuables we have are always in our backpack, in the car, or in a locker.
    2. There are lockers inside the festival area. http://lockersonline.com/
    3. I'm pretty sure you will need your tickets with you to get into the campground.
    10. Here's what we like to have with us.
    - A really good cooler. It's nice to have your ice last a couple days. You'll need it.
    - Liquor in plastic containers. They will make you throw away all glass.
    - Battery operated fan. We have a combo mister / fan. This helps in the tent.
    - Food. You can't bring it into concert area but you'll want plenty of snacks, water, drinks at your tent. You'll end up buying plenty of food from vendors out of convenience or necessity but it helps to have your own supply.
    - Flashlights.
    - Hat, sunscreen, chapstick etc.
    - (For the festival) Comfortable shoes, flip flops, towel to sit on, backpack

Also... Lots of good advice in the FAQs.

Advice for beating the heat, especially if it hits 110 (as it always seems to)... Hit the showers. The sun can start cooking you in the tent as early as 7am. Another thing that helps is sitting in the car with the AC running for 10 or 15 minutes which we've done if it gets really hot.

Hope that helps. As for your other questions, I'm waiting to hear answers to those myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SoBeErica View Post
    Thanks for posting about this because I too have lots of questions about the El Dorado camping, many of which were already answered in this thread. Here are some additional questions, and if anyone can answer them I'd greatly appreciate it!
    1) How big are the coolers they give you? What do you do with your stuff when you're at the festival?
    Not huge, but adequate. We probably had 15 or so beers, 10 water bottles, orange juice in at any time. They aren't great, the ice melts pretty quickly, I'd bring your own.

2) As a follow up to #1, how close is the parking for El Dorado to where the tents are. I assume that you bascially have to put all of your belongings in your car every day before you go in order to safeguard them; although someone did mention lockers below...more details on lockers appreciated.
    The car is incredibly close. Two minute walk?

3) My friend bought the tix, but I'm showing up first...I presume this won't be a problem?
    You can only get a tent under the name of the person who ordered them, so it might be a problem.

5) If you get a spot on the lake, do you have room in front of your tent to set up any additional lounging areas?
    Yes, plenty.

6) How comfi are the cots and sleeping bag/pillows they give you? Would you recommend bringing air matresses instead and/or your own blankests/linens? And is a 4 person tent even big enough to fit say 2 queen air mattresses?
    They're just fine, not uncomfortable, not comfortable either. You probably would not have room for 2 queen air mattresses.

7) How cold was it at night? I was there last year, but stayed in house, but I know it was pretty chilly at night, and want to know what it was like sleeping in the desert with that chilly night air.
    Not very cold.

8) Is the 1:30 noise curfew strictly enforced or do we have to worry about potentially loud neighbors all night?
    El Dorado is pretty quiet at night. The car camping is where the crazy shit goes down.

9) Do they have a tent for the El Dorado campers (preferably with AC) where you can go and veg out during the day if it gets too hot?
    No.

10) If anyone has any recommendations of things to bring, things to leave at home...things you wish you would have brought last year...I'd love to hear!
    Bring a shade canopy just in case you aren't next to a palm tree.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Here are your answers.

Thanks for the details Travel Fan. A couple more questions:

1. With an El Dorado wristband can you also enter the general campground? Say if you wanted to hang out with someone there or go to one of the food stands or art projects (do they still have the artists? A few years back we helped build a giant sculpture.

2. Last time we went there was no in/out from the festival to the campgrounds. From what I was looking at it seems that this year there is. Is that right? If so that's a welcome improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMF View Post
    Thanks for the details Travel Fan. A couple more questions:

1. With an El Dorado wristband can you also enter the general campground? Say if you wanted to hang out with someone there or go to one of the food stands or art projects (do they still have the artists? A few years back we helped build a giant sculpture.

2. Last time we went there was no in/out from the festival to the campgrounds. From what I was looking at it seems that this year there is. Is that right? If so that's a welcome improvement.
    Yes, El Dorado can go into the general campground, general campground cannot go to El Dorado though. It was kind of annoying you couldn't bring somebody back to your tent (whether for some sexy time or just partying), so we just spent most of the time in the general campgrounds and just went back to El Dorado to sleep. For that reason, El Dorado is pretty quiet at night (although it could get wild during the day).

There are ins and outs this year. Last year it was probably about a 10-15 minute walk back to El Dorado depending whether you were at the main or the Sahara. We would find a chunk of time during the day where nobody wanted to see anything for about an hour, run back to the tent to grab some beers, and then go back. Very convenient.