Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 69707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Dataline's debut album "Hear Your Beat" is worth a listen. Makes me think "if Boards of Canada did techno".

https://soundcloud.com/dataline/sets/hearyourbeat

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Guess Green Day called it Uno, Dos, Tre for a reason because the quality of the albums was in that order. The best being the first
    I'll have to say they actually get better as they go. Tre! has some of the best lyrics Billie has written in years, really fun catchy guitar solos (which have been a big new part of the band's music for these three albums), and Tre Cool absolutely crushes the drumkit throughout.

No matter, 36 new Green Day songs in a year makes me a happy camper. Everything about them just continues to sit well with me after all these year and while its "simple" music compared to a lot of what I listen to nowadays I still really enjoy whatever they are up to.

Hoping for a strong Billie Joe to get back on the road and really put these songs to the test along with their back catalog. Really see some fiery sets coming in the future.

I would recommend giving the trilogy at least one open minded listen if you have been turned off by Green Day from American Idiot, 21st Century, and generally growing out of it. Its a big wealth of music from a band like them where you may not enjoy every tune, but you'll find a good amount of song you will if you have even the slightest interest.

I finally listened to Dan Deacon's new album after finding it for a dollar at my local record store, and the first 5 songs are fairly good, but wow, does the album really take flight in the last half...USA I-IV is monumentous.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    I'll have to say they actually get better as they go. Tre! has some of the best lyrics Billie has written in years, really fun catchy guitar solos (which have been a big new part of the band's music for these three albums), and Tre Cool absolutely crushes the drumkit throughout.

No matter, 36 new Green Day songs in a year makes me a happy camper. Everything about them just continues to sit well with me after all these year and while its "simple" music compared to a lot of what I listen to nowadays I still really enjoy whatever they are up to.

Hoping for a strong Billie Joe to get back on the road and really put these songs to the test along with their back catalog. Really see some fiery sets coming in the future.

I would recommend giving the trilogy at least one open minded listen if you have been turned off by Green Day from American Idiot, 21st Century, and generally growing out of it. Its a big wealth of music from a band like them where you may not enjoy every tune, but you'll find a good amount of song you will if you have even the slightest interest.
    Yeah Tre's the best by far. I liked Dos on first listen but after listening to all three in succession I think it's the worst. It has that dumb rapping song and the other songs are spotty. Uno's good but monotonous. Tre has the best hooks, best variety, and most "maturity" of all three. Will be ordering on vinyl.

Um, so Stereogum got something really right by putting Parquet Court's Light Up Gold in their year-end list. This shit's really, really good.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Finally listened to the new Titus Andronicus. While I don't think it as good as The Monitor, it definitely is great. It's more comfortable-sounding than the last album, if that makes any sense.

Listened to the new Sword album as well. I liked it better than Warp Riders on first listen. I don't think they will ever put out something as immediate and excellent as their first album, but Apocryphon is well worth your time if you are into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    I finally listened to Dan Deacon's new album after finding it for a dollar at my local record store, and the first 5 songs are fairly good, but wow, does the album really take flight in the last half...USA I-IV is monumentous.
    I keep saying this... but it is by far the most underrated album of the year. I have barely heard anyone else talk about it, and it hasn't shown up on any year end lists that I have seen. USA I-IV is an absolute beast of a musical composition. It is almost more like a classical piece than a typical "song." I love the album start to finish, but USA I-IV is an outstanding achievement that I don't think Dan Deacon has received the recognition he deserves for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

http://open.spotify.com/album/6Ofr7eTSSNb4Gnj9ERo9HR

Parenthetical Girls Privileges part 5.

This is the fifth and final EP series by the Parenthetical Girls.Each EP is number in blood by the certain band member of who is on the cover of each of the Privilege albums.For the most part all their vinyls are sold out unless you buy the box set.The songs are about the end of a relationship in sense of it being the final part of the series.

Trentemoller @ Mezzanine 04/06/14
    The Knife @ The Fox 04/15/14
    Factory Floor @ The Independent 04/16/14
    The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's 04/17/14
    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Juju & Jordash - Techno Primitivism is all over the place but complete stunning and singular. Half the time it's only tangentially related to straight up techno, but there's just so much restless creativity going on that it trumps a good number of more conventional techno releases. I'm going to have to give it a few more intent listens, but it may land pretty high on my year end list.
    Patrick mentioned this release in the mnml thread, and, after four or five close listens, I enjoyed it so much I thought it deserved a mention here too. The two opening tracks are a bit of a red herring, as the brooding tone which these songs develop gives way to a rather loose and free-wheeling stylistic exploration over the remaining 60+ minutes. Each individual song seems to occupy its own little universe, and with many tracks stretching well over 6 minutes there is plenty of room for the duo to create some very intriguing sonic landscapes. I have a feeling those who enjoyed Blondes' self-titled release will dig this album, especially tracks like this one:

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I keep saying this... but it is by far the most underrated album of the year. I have barely heard anyone else talk about it, and it hasn't shown up on any year end lists that I have seen. USA I-IV is an absolute beast of a musical composition. It is almost more like a classical piece than a typical "song." I love the album start to finish, but USA I-IV is an outstanding achievement that I don't think Dan Deacon has received the recognition he deserves for it.
    We ate things and watched this video set to USA I-IV. It is awesome. Particularly, what I think is the Alb balloon festival party midway through.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    I really liked it too, it's less abrasive than Bromst. Now I still enjoy Bromst, but there are moments where I'm like "AAAAHHHTOOMANYFUNNYLOUDNOISESAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! "
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Patrick mentioned this release in the mnml thread, and, after four or five close listens, I enjoyed it so much I thought it deserved a mention here too. The two opening tracks are a bit of a red herring, as the brooding tone which these songs develop gives way to a rather loose and free-wheeling stylistic exploration over the remaining 60+ minutes. Each individual song seems to occupy its own little universe, and with many tracks stretching well over 6 minutes there is plenty of room for the duo to create some very intriguing sonic landscapes. I have a feeling those who enjoyed Blondes' self-titled release will dig this album, especially tracks like this one:

Yes. I listened to it again last night and was gonna post it in here as well. It definitely has much wider appeal than just techno fans. At times it's closer to a modern approach to krautrock. I'm pretty sure it'll be in my top 10 for the year. Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Um, so Stereogum got something really right by putting Parquet Court's Light Up Gold in their year-end list. This shit's really, really good.
    They've been quietly pushing that album for a few months. On first listen it didn't really do much for me (not bad, but not memorable) but on subsequent listens some of the songs are pretty great.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Hungry Ghost - Hungry Ghost. If you like bluesy rock stuff with lots of swagger and fucking great drumming (Sara Lund from Unwound is the drummer, so of course it's killer) you need to check this out. They quietly released the album this year after years of touring. I saw them back in early 2009 and they were one of the most surprising and memorable shows I ever caught at the Smell.

Edit: If you want to listen on Spotify, it's currently listed as the extra tracks from a 2006 album with the same title. The one I'm recommending starts with the track Powerman and ends with a killer noise/blues cover of Nick Drake's Know.
    Last edited by bmack86; 12-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.

hey, what sites do you guys use for zip files? mind pming me some info? Im out of the loop these days

Literature - Arab Spring is a delighful jangle-pop/lo-fi record a la Times New Viking that, despite having 10 tracks and being only being 22 minutes long, has some really catchy melodies. Listen here.

I am only three tracks into the new Paul Kalkbrenner album, but so far I am loving this. Will report back when I finish it, which could be any time in the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Nobody has ever given a single fuck about anything you've ever had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Erik or Dani: Can we change Spooks' member title to "Stupid Pigfucker"? thanks.

I got tired of being broke and listen to the new godspeed on spotify.If feel like it has a lot of instruments that haven't been any other godspeed albums.
    Last edited by getbetter; 12-11-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Trentemoller @ Mezzanine 04/06/14
    The Knife @ The Fox 04/15/14
    Factory Floor @ The Independent 04/16/14
    The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's 04/17/14
    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

I...don't even know what to say. I finally just got around to Mount Eerie's Ocean Roar and am, for the second time this year, completely speechless. To say that this, in addition to Clear Moon, have been criminally overlooked this year is an understatement.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I...don't even know what to say. I finally just got around to Mount Eerie's Ocean Roar and am, for the second time this year, completely speechless. To say that this, in addition to Clear Moon, have been criminally overlooked this year is an understatement.
    This. Phil Elverum is my hero.

It seems like no one has been talking about the Gaslamp Killer - Breakthrough, but they really should be, as it's really fucking good. I listened to it a couple of weeks ago expecting to hate it based on some videos I've seen of him live, but positive reviews and the fact that he produced some of the best tracks on Gonjasufi's A Sufi & A Killer made me give it a proper chance. It's a nice mix of crate-digging instrumental hip-hop, Brainfeeder oddball electronics, and cross-genre downtempo grooves. The list of guest appearances is about equal to the number of tracks and includes Gonjasufi, Daedelus, and Shigeto. It's one of those really fun, wildly eclectic albums where just about everything is thrown into the mix with creative abandon, switching gears every two minutes or so. Check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I'm listening to Bosse-de-Nage - III and it's one of the cooler black metal releases I've heard this year. The instruments are super clear, the vocals aren't as screechy as they frequently are in the genre, and they have a great drummer.

People, why didn't you tell me about Profound Lore records before? They're totally full of great.

I'm listening to Bosse-de-Nage - III and it's one of the cooler black metal releases I've heard this year. The instruments are super clear, the vocals aren't as screechy as they frequently are in the genre, and they have a great drummer.

People, why didn't you tell me about Profound Lore records before? They're totally full of great.
    I thought this record would get more love after their split with Deafheaven but it didn't seem to. I love the addition of some elements of early screamo to the mix of atmospheric black metal. Realy good stuff. Profound Lore is a fantastic metal label. So many great bands to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I really liked it too, it's less abrasive than Bromst. Now I still enjoy Bromst, but there are moments where I'm like "AAAAHHHTOOMANYFUNNYLOUDNOISESAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! "
    Have you listened to Dan Deacon's Wish Book Vol 1 DJ Mix he just released? This is exactly what it is like almost the entire way through. I love the mix though. It is just a blast.

I've been enjoying the soundtrack to This Is 40 this week. There are new songs from Fiona Apple, Norah Jones, Graham Parker and (3 from) Lindsey Buckingham . There's also some older stuff/new renditions from Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Yoko Ono, Wilco, Ryan Adams. I'm not familiar with almost all of these songs, so they're all brand new to me. Jon Brion did the score and he's also featured on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Have you listened to Dan Deacon's Wish Book Vol 1 DJ Mix he just released? This is exactly what it is like almost the entire way through. I love the mix though. It is just a blast.
    I have not. Is it free?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Tor's "Drum Therapy" album is pretty damn good. He's the first artist to get signed to Emancipator's new label, Loci Records.

Okay, I need to retract my earlier remarks in this thread - and others - on the GY!BE album. I think, even after I downloaded the CD rip, I was still listening to the really terrible quality vinyl rip that surfaced earlier. Luckily, I also pre-ordered the vinyl, and while it sat in shrink wrap until today, I am so, so glad I bought it. I listened to it just now and every song astonished me. It's like I never heard the record before. A+ work, and now I need to figure out where in my top 50 to put it.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I have not. Is it free?
    Yes. He released it for free and you can get it from pretty much anywhere.

Blink-182 Dogs Eating Dogs is my new favorite release of the year.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona