Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6869707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

My first time listening to the Seer I was driving through the Sierra Nevada on a treacherous road as the sun created a constant strobe effect flashing through tall pine trees. It was terrifying and exhilarating at once, and the perfect way to experience the album. I can't picture it as a "sit down and listen" album whatsoever. It screams for physical interaction with the music.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    yeah. most of it worked incredibly live... maybe the intensity of those experiences is washing out the album for me...
    Yeah, I think have a similar relationship with it. I keep waiting for it to live up to my memory of the material live, but it's not quite there for some reason.

I also agree that Bish Bosch flits between really fascinating ideas/sounds really quickly, which makes it hard to get a grasp on but also makes it a sonic feast.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Do either of you have thoughts on why he tossed in both the Hawaiian sounds and the stuff in Phrasing? Both places are clear references to tropical music, and in both I had trouble understanding the lyrics.

I need the lyric sheets... I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to in Phrasing... the latin percussion break down? i have no clue with that one.

Epizootics seems to be playing with a slew of ideas (shocker, right?). There's the beginning with some kind of luau nightmare that morphs into a devolving face/ecological landscape.... that plus the meaning of the title seem to start hinting at some stuff (social/biological plague are reoccurring themes in his work for sure). that said, i have no clue what is going on once he starts emphasizing the ZOOT part of the title (when the wicked horn kicks in full blow). so much wordplay... but I'm only getting fragments at this point.

The real fucker is Zercon/Flagpole Sitter. The beginning throws back to Cossacks for me (what with the tongue in cheek industry speak)... and there is that line about sitting in the dark playing with yourself that bookends the greased up pole behind you part at the end. All that seems to be jokes told by the narrator in the song (who is also flagpole sitting?)... but I have no clue what is going on. Again, only picking up bits and pieces of the lyrics.

i'm excited to get a copy of the new Wire which has an interview. also, if it is anything like The Drift booklet, we might get a few liner notes here and there which help with deconstructing the lyrics. can't wait for my copy to show up. The Drift really clicked with me once I had the lyrics in front of me. So much of his composition is incredibly literal... the sound cues illuminate a lot once you are clear on the lyrics. it helps to understand that he starts with the lyrics as a complete work, and then builds the music around them.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 11-21-2012 at 10:28 PM.

I'm going to order it as well after the first listen.

Zercon is insane. The jokes throughout it seem like they definitely have to be from the narrator, but it gets so demented.

maybe the narrator is also a dwarf (the series of numbers in the title is apparently a dwarf star... so again, absurd wordplay)? that makes the flagpole sitting bit funny in a very scott walker way...

i want to sit down and figure out the IVIXIVI or whatever stuff also... love the rhythmic phrasing of those bits.

edit: listening again... yeah, the narrator is telling the jokes. i think he's a comedian. hence the need for the agent who fucks him at the end of the song (the same greased pole he is sitting on?)... i love scott walker. please tour.

oh, and i have no fucking idea what's going on in that terrifying oedipal bit in the middle... but it fucks me up every time.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 11-21-2012 at 10:42 PM.

That part is the most intense bit of music I've encountered all year.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Has anyone heard Django Django's self-titled? I think it's probably my favorite album of 2012 so far. Not quite sure how I'd describe it... psychedelic rock, I guess.

This album is soooo good. I just listened to it for the first time yesterday off a recommendation. I don't know how to describe it either...other than I love it.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    maybe the narrator is also a dwarf (the series of numbers in the title is apparently a dwarf star... so again, absurd wordplay)? that makes the flagpole sitting bit funny in a very scott walker way...

i want to sit down and figure out the IVIXIVI or whatever stuff also... love the rhythmic phrasing of those bits.

edit: listening again... yeah, the narrator is telling the jokes. i think he's a comedian. hence the need for the agent who fucks him at the end of the song (the same greased pole he is sitting on?)... i love scott walker. please tour.

oh, and i have no fucking idea what's going on in that terrifying oedipal bit in the middle... but it fucks me up every time.
    I listened to this again today, with the thought that the narrator is a comedian. I think that actually feeds into the whole song: it's a dejected, truly down comedian dealing with a heckler in an increasingly demented way. The lyrics at the start and end both seem to be pretty straight comedian/heckler jokes, and that one gets a bit too real.

I can't wait for this to come out next week...

The Slider 40th Anniversary Box Set features two CDs, a DVD, a 180 gram vinyl LP and three 7" singles. The accompanying DVD features a host of Marc Bolan goodies, including performances from Top Of The Pops, Marc's interview with Russell Harty, a curio that sees Bolan and Mickey Finn visiting EMI's pressing plant and much more.

There's also a 48-page hardback book, featuring a 6000-word essay from Bolan biographer and MOJO contributor Mark Paytress, and a 40-page book of sheet music.

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/26 Joris Voorn @ Output
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp
    11/30 Run the Jewels @ Stage 48

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I just discovered this band called Rhyton. They have two albums, and their album from this year entitled The Emerald Tablet is very good. Three lengthy tracks of psychedelic improv...really groovy, give it a spin and let yourself sink into it.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by send me ctrpllrs View Post
    So yeah, VCMG SSSS is kind of blowing my mind right now. I'm only four songs in... haven't been able to stop moving since the end of the first minute. Dancing in my seat as I type. How did I not hear about this?
    At the end of the album for the first time in its entirety right now, so good!

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp1717 View Post
    I know none of you probably read this blog, but I'd love your opinions if you have the time.
    http://tactiletracks.com/2012/11/01/readers-poll-2012/
    I won't spam this again but just letting you know if you fill one out you're entered in a raffle to win a $25 Insound gift certificate.

You won't see me speak on this again, I swear.
    Last edited by jeffp1717; 11-29-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Wheels Of Cheese

Finally got the internet fixed at my house, so I can FINALLY listen to Bish Bosch.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by send me ctrpllrs View Post

Back to the music talk though... Carter Tutti Void Transverse is probably my second favorite release this year after a couple plays. Can we get a set from them at ATP, please?
    I'm unfamiliar with Throbbing Gristle's work, really, (and the industrial scene altogether) but I really enjoyed this.

I also finally listened to Recondite's On Acid. Fans of Pantha du Prince or melodic acid sounds should check this out. I'm grasping at who else the board might be familiar with that's in a similar vein. Anyway, I loved it.

11/28: Dixon @ TBA
    12/1: Angel Olsen, Kevin Morby @ GAMH
    12/6: Dream Police @ Brick and Mortar
    12/12: Ancient Methods @ Mercer
    12/13: RRose, Carlos Souffrant @ TBA
    12/17: Sleepy Sun @ Brick and Mortar

Yeah, Carter Tutti Void was great. Thanks to Tall Chris for recommending it to me on the facespace.

I'm unfamiliar with Throbbing Gristle's work, really, (and the industrial scene altogether) but I really enjoyed this.

I also finally listened to Recondite's On Acid. Fans of Pantha du Prince or melodic acid sounds should check this out. I'm grasping at who else the board might be familiar with that's in a similar vein. Anyway, I loved it.
    Cara, you'd really like 20 Jazz Funk Greats by Throbbing Gristle I bet. And you missed probably my favorite Coachella set I've seen.

Yes! Patrick and Zack both recommended that to me today, definitely going to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And you missed probably my favorite Coachella set I've seen.
    It was so bizarre. I couldn't turn away.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I persuade you...

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    It was so bizarre. I couldn't turn away.
    I was totally comfortable with it all until Genesis' nipples got hard.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Has anyone here listened to SFV Acid's Grown? which also falls under (I think) the melodic acid category. Whatever it is, I'm impressed.

So this Metz album is something else. It's definitely been one of the most aesthetically jarring albums I've listened to all year in that I actually feel uncomfortable and out of place while I'm listening to it, and it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that it's less than 30 minutes long.

I'm sure that SFV Acid played some of that material when I saw him this year. I loved everything he did and want to hear more, so I'll check that out.

Metz's album is spectacular. That's a great description.

After seeing it on a year-end list and reading some tasty words in a description of Merchandise' Children of Desire, I decided to give it a go. Not that great. A lot of it is burdened by that hollow '80s drum sound that makes a lot of the albums from that decade sound so dated.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah, there's a song by them Pitchfork tagged with Best New Track that just seemed really boring to me.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Roc Marciano's Reloaded is probably the best hip-hop album I've heard this year...after hearing their song God randomly last night I thought THEESatisfaction's album might be this year's Shabazz Palaces, and it was good but not that good.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

THEESatisfaction provided the female vocals on the Shabazz Palaces album, and they have toured together a few times.

Haha, that must be why it reminded me of them.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wheels Of Cheese

This is rather good:
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Guess Green Day called it Uno, Dos, Tre for a reason because the quality of the albums was in that order. The best being the first