Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Kongos - Lunatic

You say it's called Lunatic? And it's by a band called Kongos? This sounds right up my alley. TO THE RECORD STORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

"Tell Us About..."
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

^

BANLETE
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I don't feel like finding the 2011 thread. Thought Van Hunt was really good opening for The Afghan Whigs, so I'm listening to What Were You Hoping For? right now. Equally impressed, good stuff. It is soulful and funky, yet still rockin'. Recommend listening if you haven't heard it.

Van hunt's older albums kick ass too. Pick them up I'd say.

Finally listening to the new Cult Of Youth album, Youth Will Prevail, which I think is significantly better than his debut, which I enjoyed quite a bit. It's slightly gothic acoustic folk punk with a vaguely Celtic feel, but this time around, it's a lot more fleshed out with stronger songwriting and more interesting arrangements and textures, including some sinister horns that remind me of early Death In June (which isn't a bad reference point in general).

Last edited by SoulDischarge; 11-15-2012 at 05:29 AM.

After seeing them live recently, I'm really digging the new Generationals EP "Lucky Numbers". It's only three songs, but it's a nice laid back kind of listen. They're playing new material this tour, with hopes of a new full length next year. Here's "Hazel House" from their EP.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    You say it's called Lunatic? And it's by a band called Kongos? This sounds right up my alley. TO THE RECORD STORE!
    I just spit coffee everywhere after reading this, and I don't even drink the stuff. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Hey Spooks, according to Fact Mag, mono LPs will be released in 2013. Doesn't specify whether as part of a box or individually.

http://www.factmag.com/2012/09/27/th...bums-on-vinyl/
    Thank god The Beatles project is done and new Converge record is being pressed now....

From Amazon reviews, people are pissed! Hopefully they won't fuck up Mono version!

from Temp Residence...
    Note to record labels: NEVER boast the painstaking attention to detail you endured in the mastering and manufacturing process of a very expensive vinyl box set - you're just asking for enraged customers to throw shade until they're blue in the face.

Regardless of where they pressed these, they're playing with fire to manufacture 50,000 copies of something that is meant to be a super deluxe, boutique item. The quality control is a total crap shoot after about 5,000 copies of something like this. Not to mention they pressed these at two different plants simultaneously, so the quality isn't even consistent from record-to-record within the set.
    Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-St...owViewpoints=0

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/22 Woods @ Baby's All Right
    4/24 Factory Floor @ MHOW
    4/25 Modeselektor @ Sankeys
    4/26 Cell Injection @ Spektrum
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260
    4/28 Danny Tenaglia @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

After doing much catching up and revisiting on this year's releases, I've decided that Japandroids actively annoy me and Wild Nothing bores the living pisschrist out me, so I'm saying fuck indie rock in 2012. (Although METZ and Ty Segall are mighty fine, but they're more noise and garage rock anyway).

You might enjoy the Cloud Nothings album. Steve Albini produced it, got kind of a Jawbox feel to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

finally checked out Autre Ne Veut. REALLY like the single out for the new album, really hoping this album delivers.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Check out his old records. They are like super fucked-up Prince songs. That dude rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

If you eliminate "These Streets Will Never Look The Same," "The Eleventh Hour," "Running From The Sun," and "Dust To Dust" (and maybe "No Escape") from the tracklist, Kill For Love is an infinitely better album. Try it!

Wild Nothing are fucking horrible.Japanoids though they have four or maybe tracks I like the rest sounds like indie rock verison of taking back sunday.

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If you eliminate "These Streets Will Never Look The Same," "The Eleventh Hour," "Running From The Sun," and "Dust To Dust" (and maybe "No Escape") from the tracklist, Kill For Love is an infinitely better album. Try it!
    I agree with on that lull in the middle with those three songs, but These Streets is a great song.

Autotune/vocoder/pitchshifting/whatever ruins it, and it really plods along at 8 fucking minutes. I loved Night Drive so much, I though there could never be too much Chromatics, but a lot of those tracks on KFL cross the line from moodpieces into tedium.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I don't know if the search function on the board is fucked up but it appears I'm going to be the first person who discusses the new Emeralds album? That seems unthinkable, given that it's been out for two weeks now.

I could see people hating this, but I think Just To Feel Anything fucking rules. Given the early reports of drum machine usage, I had feared it to be Common Era Part II, but it's definitely not that. A lot of the bigger, more "cinematic" pieces feel like the good version of M83 (Em83?), and the propulsive tracks (namely "Adenochrome" and the title song) work in a way that I would never have expected I'd respond to, executing a rare shift into unambiguously commercial, dance-friendly territory that feels genuinely organic and not in the least bit calculated. To me, at least. It reminds me of the way people described Factory Floor at ATP 2011. I hope people start listening to this and start liking it.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Okay, yeah, I'm an idiot. I didn't have the results sorting properly so I couldn't find any Emeralds posts after 2010. I now see the reaction on Page 68 here, which is fairly close to what I'd anticipated.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I still haven't listened to it. I'll add it to the queue for my Thanksgiving drive tomorrow.

Jesus Holy fuck I love it

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I don't know if the search function on the board is fucked up but it appears I'm going to be the first person who discusses the new Emeralds album? That seems unthinkable, given that it's been out for two weeks now.

I could see people hating this, but I think Just To Feel Anything fucking rules. Given the early reports of drum machine usage, I had feared it to be Common Era Part II, but it's definitely not that. A lot of the bigger, more "cinematic" pieces feel like the good version of M83 (Em83?), and the propulsive tracks (namely "Adenochrome" and the title song) work in a way that I would never have expected I'd respond to, executing a rare shift into unambiguously commercial, dance-friendly territory that feels genuinely organic and not in the least bit calculated. To me, at least. It reminds me of the way people described Factory Floor at ATP 2011. I hope people start listening to this and start liking it.
    Looks like you and i feel very similarly about it Gabe, both in really liking it and expecting it to be hated by a lot of their fans. Glad you liked it. I haven't listened to it for a couple weeks now and need to return to it.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

School of Seven Bells' Put Your Sad Down ep is fucking great. i think i might even like it more than the Ghostory full length from earlier this year, which i really loved too. It's a long ep at over 30 minutes, with the help of the absolutely gorgeous 12:46 long title track. The band has all but abandoned all shoegazer-influences at this point and have fully embraced a huge-sounding, super lavishly produced, very dramatic synth-pop sound, and it works so well. I can't find a video of the song "Put Your Sad Down," but "Faded Hearts is really great too.

last.fm

I saw Patrick's review of the new Scott Walker somewhere. I listened to it on my drive up to my parents' place for Thanksgiving today. First off, it's musically less dense than either Tilt or The Drift. That's not a bad thing, as the musical cues he uses have more room to really jar the listener without as much going on. It creates a more live, thriving sound to the music, making it more dynamic and active with the lyrics. I noticed he's got quite a bit more prominent guitar on this one: at points things get almost metal or Swans-ish.

The album also seems, even more than the last two, to be focused on lyrics/storytelling. On first listen it was hard to really decipher all the ins and outs of that, but suffice to say Walker has more variance in his presentation lyrically and vocally this time around. He makes fart jokes, and has a line, "If shit were music, you'd be a brass band," and also has the single most terrifying moment I've heard on an album in ages (if you can't pick out what I'm talking about, you didn't listen to the album.) Also, surprisingly, there are at least two songs (Phrasing and Dimple) that are almost catchy, and that I would have played on my radio show back in the day. And finally, the end of the last song is so demented and bizarre that it's almost inexplicable.

It's a difficult, brutally austere record, a great statement from a great artist, and the most immediately engaging (for me anyway) of Walker's three hell music albums.

Also, the only thing that I can really compare it to this year is The Seer, but whereas that one is a culmination of the Swans aesthetic, this is a paring back instrumentally combined with an expansion of musical styles.

I can't wait to hear what other people think of the album, and theories on how all the disparate tropical musical styles fit into the record.

i think it'll take me a couple months to fully parse it. it's even more terrifying and even funnier than The Drift... which is kind of hard to believe. i agree that it is less dense generally in any given moment... but structurally and stylistically it is more complicated and difficult i think. songs bounce between calculated ideas in an almost frustratingly rapid manner. i can imagine some of the songs being stretched out 3 or 4 times their length to fully investigate the musical concepts. at the same time, the jarring, frantic approach seems a pretty crucial aspect of the album. i'm not about to try and dig into the thematic and lyrical materials at this point... suffice it to say, the album has not disappointed in my first few listens.

oh, and I think The Seer is incredibly bloated and mediocre. i agree that it is the culmination of their aesthetic, but to be honest, the execution is a mess. i can see a really great album in there somewhere, but it just doesn't come together in its current state. i want to love it, but so far that hasn't been the case.

Yeah, I agree with you in terms of structure and style. I was trying to come up with a good way to say that it's a less dense, sonically, album, but it's probably more dense in terms of structure and ideas.

I could understand the feeling that the Seer is bloated. Obviously I disagree that it's mediocre, but I think the bloat is part of what sold me on it. Plus, every experience I've had with that material has been incredibly intense in one way or another.

yeah. most of it worked incredibly live... maybe the intensity of those experiences is washing out the album for me...