Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 65666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Lol this song is better than anything off their last record. MCR is trolling

^ They were supposed to record a "proto-punk" album influenced by the Stooges and MC5, after the Black Parade. I was pretty interested to hear it, then they shelved it in favor of that dogshit Danger Days album. Now they're releasing the 'proto-punk' songs like two at a time. The one you posted I'm not crazy about, just sounds like MCR two albums back. However listen to "Tomorrow's Money" which sounds very Stooges-like. Curious to hear the next batch.

Stream Brian Eno's new album here http://news.qthemusic.com/2012/10/li...new_album.html

Can't wait to get home from work and listen. Supposed to be akin to works like Discrete Music and Music for Airports
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

The Coup's new album is disappointing.

(though I just listened to it for the first time)
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Cody ChesnuTT's Landing on a Hundred is hitting all the right spots for me. Soul fans check it out

Well, for a genre that is almost exalted for its ability to stay the same, grindcore has really pumped out two huge, forward-thinking albums this year. The first, Liberteer's It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees, is a fantastic accomplishment, cramming revolutionary war themes and musical tropes into an anarchist grind manifesto. It's melodic and instrumental flourishes define its theme and it works as an expansion of what grind can encompass.

Pig Destroyer's Book Burner, on the other hand, is an album from the leaders of the genre pushing the whole scene forward. The first four songs are the perfect encapsulation of Pig Destroyer, and grind in general, at its most raw and direct. For the rest of the album, they veer between precision metal that encompasses themes of grind, hardcore, thrash, death and even some post-metal sounds and straight grind workouts. The album, like Phantom Limb before it, flows remarkably, but the "long" songs on the new one are remarkable. Boston Strangler, in particular, is on my short list for songs of the year. It starts with a short piece of found speech, sounding like it comes from a brutal serial killer at a press conference and then popping into a dry, cranking and incredibly precise riff. The guitars constantly shift sounds throughout the song, and the galloping riff at the end is the perfect way to hammer the track home. If you like heavy music at all, check these two releases out, but especially the Pig Destroyer album. It's a truly special recording from an impressively uncompromising band.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Legendary Aussie band The Mark Of Cain have just released their 5th album. They dropped their first EP in 1998 and have built a solid following slowly but surely since. They have had albums produced by the likes of Steve Albini, Andy Gill & Henry Rollins. It has been over 10 years since their last album. The delay has been due to a combination of label issues, main song writer John Scott's renowned perfectionism, the work commitments of the Scott brothers in some undisclosed area of military engineering and working around the availability of drummer John Stainer. What an album it is. The three piece must all be the other side of 40 and yet to mellow at all. The trademarks are all there - ball rattling bass, tight as fuck drumming and John's signature vocals and riffs. They remain influenced by military imagery and ideals and their legendary discipline and precision has not waned. This is something along the lines of what Joy Division might have sounded like if Ian Curtis was more angry and less depressed.

I am biased toward this band due my emotional connection that comes with growing up listening to them. They were the first live band I saw that blew me away and have consistently been brilliant every time since. It is honest music by real people and I fucking love it.
    Last edited by vulcandeathgrip; 11-01-2012 at 06:02 AM.

I haven't posted in a while but I gotta say Clear Soul Forces' Detroit Revolution(s) is album of the year for me. This is what hip-hop is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandeathgrip View Post
    Legendary Aussie band The Mark Of Cain have just released their 5th album. They dropped their first EP in 1998 and have built a solid following slowly but surely since. They have had albums produced by the likes of Steve Albini, Andy Gill & Henry Rollins. It has been over 10 years since their last album. The delay has been due to a combination of label issues, main song writer John Scott's renowned perfectionism, the work commitments of the Scott brothers in some undisclosed area of military engineering and working around the availability of drummer John Stainer. What an album it is. The three piece must all be the other side of 40 and yet to mellow at all. The trademarks are all there - ball rattling bass, tight as fuck drumming and John's signature vocals and riffs. They remain influenced by military imagery and ideals and their legendary discipline and precision has not waned. This is something along the lines of what Joy Division might have sounded like if Ian Curtis was more angry and less depressed.

I am biased toward this band due my emotional connection that comes with growing up listening to them. They were the first live band I saw that blew me away and have consistently been brilliant every time since. It is honest music by real people and I fucking love it.
    As in Helmet/Tomahawk/Battles John Stanier?

Yes that John Stainer

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp1717 View Post
    I haven't posted in a while but I gotta say Clear Soul Forces' Detroit Revolution(s) is album of the year for me. This is what hip-hop is supposed to be.
    Loving this album.

God. DAMN. This METZ album is a beast. I am seeing them tonight and couldn't be more excited. Aside from Japandroids' Celebration Rock there haven't really been any big "guitar" albums that have done it for me. This album just restored my faith in the guitar.

Edit: Actually, the new record by The Sword is pretty killer too. I have to give that one some props.
    Last edited by rage patton; 11-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

I'm glad you dig the CSF, ods! I found out about them at A3C Hip-Hop Festival last month and they absolutely blew me away with their set. Best hip-hop show I've ever seen, but part of that might have to do with the intimacy. They just have so much energy.

I know none of you probably read this blog, but I'd love your opinions if you have the time.
    http://tactiletracks.com/2012/11/01/readers-poll-2012/

Green Day's DOS is a real barn burner of a record and hones in the musical themes of their Foxboro Hot Tubs side project and brings the energy out of their own music stylings in that fashion instead of emulating the rock bands of old as the side project did so much of.

That being said, Ive never hated a Green Day song so god damn much as Nightlife; to the point that it left a bad taste in my mouth after my first listen even with the last two tracks being good. To the point that I'm just going to delete it and pretend it never existed in their catalog. I understand they were going for that kind of sexy slowed down jam but nothing about it works. AT ALL.

Well, for a genre that is almost exalted for its ability to stay the same, grindcore has really pumped out two huge, forward-thinking albums this year. The first, Liberteer's It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live On Your Knees, is a fantastic accomplishment, cramming revolutionary war themes and musical tropes into an anarchist grind manifesto. It's melodic and instrumental flourishes define its theme and it works as an expansion of what grind can encompass.

Pig Destroyer's Book Burner, on the other hand, is an album from the leaders of the genre pushing the whole scene forward. The first four songs are the perfect encapsulation of Pig Destroyer, and grind in general, at its most raw and direct. For the rest of the album, they veer between precision metal that encompasses themes of grind, hardcore, thrash, death and even some post-metal sounds and straight grind workouts. The album, like Phantom Limb before it, flows remarkably, but the "long" songs on the new one are remarkable. Boston Strangler, in particular, is on my short list for songs of the year. It starts with a short piece of found speech, sounding like it comes from a brutal serial killer at a press conference and then popping into a dry, cranking and incredibly precise riff. The guitars constantly shift sounds throughout the song, and the galloping riff at the end is the perfect way to hammer the track home. If you like heavy music at all, check these two releases out, but especially the Pig Destroyer album. It's a truly special recording from an impressively uncompromising band.
    The Liberteer album is fantastic. It adds way more to the standard grindcore formula than I ever imagined could be possible while still retaining the grindcore essence.

I've had a few email conversations with Liberteer about the recording of the album and the potential for a tour/vinyl release. The guy is very cool but I guess it's hard to convince his label to do vinyl. He said he is going to tour next year with his other band, but there were no Liberteer plans.

no fucking around with those two new scott walker tracks (on spotify). such a tease... (could this be the fabled "designed to tour" album? sounds possible)

Liking this Miguel album. Its been a good couple years for r&b

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    no fucking around with those two new scott walker tracks (on spotify). such a tease... (could this be the fabled "designed to tour" album? sounds possible)
    Holy shit. Listening right now.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/1...y-end-of-2012/

Last night amidst all the election madness, Jimmy Kimmel Live! writer Eli Braden joked, “CNN projecting still no follow-up to My Bloody Valentine’s 1991 classic “Loveless”.” It would appear that he’ll be eating crow tonight, as frontman Kevin Shields has returned with a bombshell of an update.

While speaking with NME, Shields insists he’ll make good on his promise set earlier this year and will finally drop the long, long, long, long, long awaited follo- up to 1991′s Loveless on his own website before this year’s end. What’s more, he’ll follow that release with another EP of brand new material.

“I think with this record, people who like us will immediately connect with something,” Shields said of any expectations. “Based on the very, very few people who’ve heard stuff – some engineers, the band, and that’s about it – some people think it’s stranger than ‘Loveless’. I don’t. I feel like it really frees us up, and in the bigger picture it’s 100 per cent necessary.”

!!!!!!
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

last week of this month or the first of next

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Kevin Shields

I think with this record, people who like us will immediately connect with something. Based on the very, very few people who've heard stuff - some engineers, the band, and that's about it - some people think it's stranger than 'Loveless'. I don't. I feel like it really frees us up, and in the bigger picture it's 100 per cent necessary
    This should be interesting...

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

YAY My Bloody Valentine!
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

So, basically, two bands (MBV and GYBE) that are notorious for silence and had disappeared for a long time announce albums that should drop within a few days or weeks of their announcement. 2012 baby.

THE END OF THE WORLD.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

So, basically, two bands (MBV and GYBE) that are notorious for silence and had disappeared for a long time announce albums that should drop within a few days or weeks of their announcement. 2012 baby.
    The stuff Shields has released after loveless I have really enjoyed! His album with Patti Smith "The Coral Sea" was great!

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Unsurprisingly, I love the new Crystal Castles. "Pale Flesh" is so good.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

SmellyBath

About to finish first spin of III and agree, love it. I almost passed out when listening to Insulin...anyone else get that feeling? Shit is dizzying. Sad Eyes is a highlight after one walk through this hellish landscape

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp1717 View Post
    I haven't posted in a while but I gotta say Clear Soul Forces' Detroit Revolution(s) is album of the year for me.
    That's because you haven't been bumping Sean Price's Mic Tyson, Zapp.
    Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Eat a dick on that or did I make too much sense for your mind to take

So I haven't done nearly enough 2012 listening, but Peaking Light's Lucifer is still one of my favorites this year so far. And they are releasing a dub version of the album in December!

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham