Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

I think I've only listened to Reveille once. Have Apple O' on vinyl, but again haven't listened much. Listened to Friend Opportunity and the last two a decent amount, but haven't heard anything else.

Dark Dark Dark's 2012 release Who Needs Who is fucking beautiful. Fans of Beirut and/or Regina Spektor would enjoy. It's more polished and likely more accessible than their previous releases...nevertheless it's gorgeous and addictive. The album is a wonderful listen front to back. I often wake up with certain melodies in my head which I can't identify, and upon realizing it's something from this album and I must listen to the whole thing immediately. I'm looking forward to seeing them live for the first time next month (11/5 at Echoplex).

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by send me ctrpllrs View Post
    I think I've only listened to Reveille once. Have Apple O' on vinyl, but again haven't listened much. Listened to Friend Opportunity and the last two a decent amount, but haven't heard anything else.
    Reveille is probably their total high water mark, although I'd argue for The Runners Four as the manic total of what they were possible of. Friend Opportunity was the most focused they ever got, Apple O the most direct. For a long period it felt as if either them or Animal Collective were gonna take over the world. Radiohead cast their hat behind Deerhoof in 2006 and that failed in spectacular fashion. In retrospect it seems obvious, but those guys were such a bizarro pop anomaly for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I haven't been paying attention. Didn't expect a MC Eight cameo on 'm.A.A.d. city,' gyeah.

I seriously don't even know what to say about Kendrick's album. I've listened to it so much in the last weekend... Tentatively, I gotta say this is the best hip hop of 2012 (a year with a crazy amount of great releases if you ask me). Every song is great... the story is enticing and ultimately endears me to the artist even more... I don't know. I love it. A+. I'm excited to listen to this album for years to come.

After one listen, the Andy Stott album had me in a dubby nasty grimace the entire time. This dude is evil. What a Halloween record

really loving ZZ Ward. what a nice fresh listen. Speaking of Kendrick Lamar^^^ the song with him rapping is really dope.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So what's Pitchfork gonna give it next week? 8.8's my guess.
    Close, 8.4.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Only 4 songs in and already totally in love with Menomena's Moms. "Baton" is a fucking monster.

EDIT: entire album is phenomenal. These guys can do no wrong.
    I know this cd has been out for a bit, but I just have to say I can't get enough of it. I love their style, their percussion, and their production are all top notch. The lyrics on this album are very personal too. I can't for the life of me understand why these guys haven't gotten the recognition they deserve. They have three great CDs and put on an amazing live show. Please bring them back next year Coachella, and give them a proper evening slot in the Mojave or Gobi.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2)

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I actually love all 5 of their full lengths, even if Under An Hour is all instrumental long-form pieces. And yes, Moms is still fantastic. Their show at the El Rey a couple weeks back was absolutely stunning too.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

After not really caring for it after my first few listens, The Fresh and Onlys Long Slow Dance has really grown on me. I was really blown away by Play It Strange and the Secret Walls EP, and while this one is a bit different in terms of tone and style the songwriting is really, really strong. It's also a very crisp album (11 songs in 36 minutes), and I think that directness suits them well.

I've also given the new Andy Stott a few spins, once in the afternoon yesterday and then again this morning, and I quite like the introduction of the vocals. I certainly like the tracks where he uses short snippets of vocals rather than the few tracks which have more "traditional" vocals in them (i.e. someone singing over the track rather than Stott sampling small bits), but my first impressions is that this new approach is rather successful.

finally got around to listening to Ultraista's (Nigel Godrich) debut and really enjoyed it the first time around. a lot of the dance style vibes Radiohead gives off can be found on it and the girl's voice is a nice addition to the sound. don't expect anything to blow your mind away but it is a solid album just after one listen.
    Bombay Bicycle Club 10/19
    Crystal Castles 10/22
    Tame Impala 11/15
    Coachella 2013
    Radiohead Toronto ??????

Gary Clark Jr.'s album is a very frustrating listening experience. It alternates between the big bluesy stuff that he's so good at and these really odd, out of place sounding poppy love songs. Pretty underwhelming overall.

Damn it. I was really looking forward to this one.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

SmellyBath

I was randomly browsing the tabloid garbage dump that is NME and found this hilarious review of Kendrick Lamar's new joint:

"Chicago rapper Kendrick Lamar has, somehow, bagged guest spots from Lady Gaga, Drake and Dr Dre for his major-label debut. But like the cover art – which shows baby Lamar on the knees of his gangster uncle in Compton – ‘Good Kid, MAAd City’ is a record more about homeboys than celebrity friends. ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe’ must be the most understated Gaga collab ever, while ‘Compton’ with Dre is all hometown swagger. ‘The Recipe’, meanwhile, is a stoner tribute to the West Coast (only available on the deluxe edition). It might lack the raw appeal of Kendrick’s 2011 mixtape ‘Section.80’, but it’s also a big-budget reminder that the 25-year-old hasn’t forgotten his roots. " - http://www.nme.com/reviews/kendrick-lamar/13799

Chicago rapper?!? Lady Gaga?!?! What the fuck is this person on and how does a major publication not do a single fact check?

Holy shit.

Andy Stott =

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyBath View Post
    I was randomly browsing the tabloid garbage dump that is NME and found this hilarious review of Kendrick Lamar's new joint:

"Chicago rapper Kendrick Lamar has, somehow, bagged guest spots from Lady Gaga, Drake and Dr Dre for his major-label debut. But like the cover art – which shows baby Lamar on the knees of his gangster uncle in Compton – ‘Good Kid, MAAd City’ is a record more about homeboys than celebrity friends. ‘Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe’ must be the most understated Gaga collab ever, while ‘Compton’ with Dre is all hometown swagger. ‘The Recipe’, meanwhile, is a stoner tribute to the West Coast (only available on the deluxe edition). It might lack the raw appeal of Kendrick’s 2011 mixtape ‘Section.80’, but it’s also a big-budget reminder that the 25-year-old hasn’t forgotten his roots. " - http://www.nme.com/reviews/kendrick-lamar/13799

Chicago rapper?!? Lady Gaga?!?! What the fuck is this person on and how does a major publication not do a single fact check?
    To give him a benefit of a doubt, Gaga does have somewhat uncredited vocals on "Bitch, Don't Kill my Vibe."
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Good Kid M.A.A.D. City is a hell of a debut. Kendrick is my new favorite rapper.

Listening right now to Cafe Tacvba's new album, if I had one word for it it would have to be... I don't know, it's pretty good. I'm really digging Olita de mar, Zopilotes, Pajaros, Volcan, Andamios. Now that I think about it, it feels gloomy and intense, even a song like Olita de Altamar with that upbeat Peruvian feel, has a dark connotation and flavor that makes it absolutely delightful to listen to. The next song, Aprovechate continues with a nice crunchy bass line and deep vocals that gave me the chills. This song also reminds me a little bit to Los Tres from Chile which Cafe Tacvba has covered before.

Take a listen to the album on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/18/163020...-llamado-disco

"But what really seems new on “El Objeto” is its degree of introspection. Also, while its lyrics can be as fractured and imagistic as ever, emotionally it’s the warmest album Café Tacvba has made." -BEN RATLIFF

NYT's Review
    Last edited by ialvarado2; 10-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Philip Glass _Rework is now available for pre-order! The set feature remixes of original Glass compositions by the likes of Beck, Dan Deacon, Cornelius, Tyondai Braxton, Amon Tobin, Memory Tapes, Jóhann Jóhannsson, Nosaj Thing, Pantha du Prince, Peter Broderick, Silver Alert, and My Great Ghost.

Physical editions of _Rework will be issued on double LP and double CD, both featuring beautiful gatefold packaging with metallic inks. The LP also includes a digital download code, and will be pressed in two unique editions. The regular edition will feature white vinyl with a silver splatter and is available from great retailers around the world, and the mailorder only “Glass Edition” (limited to 500 copies and EXCLUSIVE TO THIS SITE) will be pressed on ultra clear vinyl… trust us, it looks like… Glass!

http://philipglassrework.com/

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/22 Woods @ Baby's All Right
    4/24 Factory Floor @ MHOW
    4/25 Modeselektor @ Sankeys
    4/26 Cell Injection @ Spektrum
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260
    4/28 Danny Tenaglia @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Holy shit.

Andy Stott =

Yeah, just gave it a listen and really liked it as well. Reminds me a bit of Talabot's release earlier this year...nice and dark.

SmellyBath

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    To give him a benefit of a doubt, Gaga does have somewhat uncredited vocals on "Bitch, Don't Kill my Vibe."
    Word to this. It did slip my mind that bit of him and Lady Gaga having a mutual respect and wanting to work together in his p4k interview. That being said, the Chicago rapper cite is an extremely offensive lack of basic research.

holy shit. Local Business. Titus Androdicus hit another home run.

So yeah, the new Andy Stott is really incredible.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - Liars - The Mountain Goats - Arcade Fire - Swans

Bmack, do you have this on vinyl???

D'ANGELO-Voodoo will be rereleased on vinyl in December!

Original artwork expanded to a gatefold “tip-on” jacket
    First vinyl reissue since original release in 2000
    New liner notes by Jason King, including interviews with ?uestlove, Pino Palladino, Charlie Hunter, James Poyser, Alan Leeds, and Russ Elevado
    Limited edition first pressing includes double 180-gram wax and a period 5″×5″ press photo of D’Angelo taken by photographer Mark Guthrie
    http://lightintheattic.net/releases/809-voodoo

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Yup, in fact I just put my copy on two days ago and was thinking that a remaster had to be coming sometime soon. I'm gonna buy the new one so I can have a pristine copy to really hear the bass, but I've already more than gotten my money's worth out of the one I own.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm listening to Psychedelic Pill by Neil Young and Crazy Horse right now and it's definitely the best thing he's done since Ragged Glory and Freedom, if not Rust Never Sleeps. The title track has a really bizarre flange sound throughout, but Driftin' Back, Ramada Inn, Born in Ontario, Twisted Road and Walk Like a Giant are all new Neil classics. Color me happy.

Yup, in fact I just put my copy on two days ago and was thinking that a remaster had to be coming sometime soon. I'm gonna buy the new one so I can have a pristine copy to really hear the bass, but I've already more than gotten my money's worth out of the one I own.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm listening to Psychedelic Pill by Neil Young and Crazy Horse right now and it's definitely the best thing he's done since Ragged Glory and Freedom, if not Rust Never Sleeps. The title track has a really bizarre flange sound throughout, but Driftin' Back, Ramada Inn, Born in Ontario, Twisted Road and Walk Like a Giant are all new Neil classics. Color me happy.
    Good to hear! I've always wanted Voodoo on wax but it was always expensive on ebay/discogs so I'll definitely be picking this up for sure. And I need to hear new Crazy Horse....Central Park gig was too short and I think he only played three songs off of Psychedelic Pill: Born in Ontario, Walk Like a Giant, and Twisted Road. Did he play more off of this cd at Hollywood Bowl show? If he's changing up the setlist for this tour, I might go check him out at Barclays Center after MSG show! Can't wait

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260

He hasn't been changing too much of the set up, but you guys got a very abbreviated set at Central Park. At the bowl we got everything from the new album except Driftin' Back (the 1/2 hour song) and For the Love of Man, although two of them in very different versions.

Loving Psychedelic Pill. Instant Neil classics for sure, Bmack

Want some excellent and tasty shoegaze from Bloomington, Indiana?

Yeah, I thought you would.

Check out Stagnant Pools' album "Temporary Room".

http://stagnantpools.bandcamp.com/

You're welcome.

Psychedelic Pill people. Get on it.

Yes it's glorious. I love getting it so close to having just heard a lot of the songs live for the first at the bowl. Really was the way introduction for this era of material. Now I just need to see a show where they play driftin back and piss off more people that want the hits. Neil's my hero for still putting stuff like this out.