Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Never been big on Simian Mobile Disco, but I'm enjoying the hell out of their newest release. Seems a lot more refined than their previous efforts.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I expect these guys will blow up within the next year with their debut LP (Wildlife Pop) that just came out. Nothing groundbreaking, but catchy as fuck and super fun to listen to.

A bunch of my FB bear friends are into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Makes sense

Taragana Pyjamara - Tipped Bowls is really fucking good. Ethereal and huge... continuing the sound from the EP last year. Really love it on first listen.

Been playing out the Evy Jane EP the last few days. Trippy/repetitive r&b female vocals... super dark. Seriously recommend. I want more, nothing else on what, but I haven't really searched elsewhere.

I'm not going to say anything about the Fiona Apple album yet. I need to hear it one more time, but on first listen it seems like a fucking powerhouse. Can't wait to unpack it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Really digging that "Must land Running" Stepdad track! Will look into the rest of the album.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So Fight Bite best album cover of the year so far?
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Keith Fullerton Whitman's Occlusions is pretty extraordinary. My favorite since Disingenuousness. Definitely much more chaotic and difficult that his recent stuff, but the two sides definitely give plenty of insight into his process. The fact that each side captures a different execution of the same set of self-generative compositions provides some immediate entry points into what might otherwise be damn near impenetrable music.

In a similar vein, Eric Lanham's The Sincere Interruption is probably my favorite album thus far this year. More abstract electronic work, but with this one embracing digital synthesis in an incredibly direct and agressive manner. A completely psychotic record.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Who, MONO? Nah man, they're a Japanese post-rock band, and one of the best of the genre at that.
    Dammit. No, I meant Evy Jane. I quoted ods, but for some reason it didnt post with the quote. weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Woh wait what. I thought these guys were just a local Vancouver act getting lots of attention from the local press... but they are getting attention outside the city? Thats cool, good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Dammit. No, I meant Evy Jane. I quoted ods, but for some reason it didnt post with the quote. weird.
    Nice!!! That's cool to know. I want more tracks. The remixes are filthy as well.

This song/video....

DIIV Oshin stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I just did something I haven't done in a long, long time (in fact, I can't even remember the last time): I listened to an album for the first time in physical form, rather than via a leak.

The album of choice was the new Tallest Man on Earth record; I searched for a leak but was finding it too time-consuming (e.g., longer than 10 minutes) to find a working link. I was going to buy it anyway, so I waited. Like people used to do. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by how excited I was to listen. And it was strange consuming a record this way. I've been so dependent on leaks for so long that I hardly remember this feeling.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say was this album is, unsurprisingly, totally gorgeous. I like the new textures and new instruments. There's No Leaving Now is less immediate than The Wild Hunt and Sometimes the Blues... but will be equally rewarding with time. I'm a big fan on first listen.

The new Kyle Bobby Dunn album is some really beautiful drone.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Holy shit. Evy Jane is fucking my mind up right now.
    Wow no joke, some dark soulful shit coming out of Canada. I'm loving these tracks. Great find ods...

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Wow no joke, some dark soulful shit coming out of Canada. I'm loving these tracks. Great find ods...
    I can't stop playing it!

I haven't listened to this whole album yet, but it's interesting enough to talk about here.

Does everybody remember Neneh Cherry? She's making a comeback with a jazz group called the Thing, and they've just released an album called The Cherry Dream in which they cover all manner of songs, including "Dream Baby Dream" by SUICIDE, which is actually a pretty awesome cover.

Here's the whole tracklistng:

1. Cashback (Neneh Cherry)
    2. Dream Baby Dream (Suicide)
    3. Too Tough to Die (Martina Topley-Bird)
    4. Sudden Movement (Mats Gustafsson)
    5. Accordion (MF Doom)
    6. Golden Heart (Don Cherry)
    7. Dirt (The Stooges)
    8. What Reason (Ornette Coleman)

I gotta check out the whole record still
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

"Buffalo Stance" is my jam.

lost rivers-w200-h200.jpg
    fans of APTBS, check out Germany's The Lost Rivers debut full length Sin & Lostness. flowery review here.

Beat Connection, who put out what was probably my favorite ep last year, Surf Noir, have a full length out now! It's called The Palace Garden, and while it does have a similar beachy, summery feel that their decidedly chillwave previous efforts have had, I think they've really stepped up their game and now have a fully developed, rich sound. There are much bigger beat-driven, dancey songs on this one, but there's a big Calypso influence as well, that really adds to the summery vibe. This is a collection of songs meant for driving down a beach road on a warm summer night.

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 06-20-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    last.fm

I had no idea they were releasing an album! Excellent. I loved Surf Noir.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I'm just finishing it now and it seriously gets better and better with each song. Really fucking good from start to finish.

EDIT: and it's REALLY refreshing o have a follow-up full-length from a little electronic act like this that is not disappointing after a grand slam ep.
    last.fm

1970s/80s synthpop group Ultravox have reunited and released Brilliant their first studio record since 1994. It's epic, melodramatic and huge-sounding. For people that aren't particularly fond of the genre, I could see it sounding a little goofy, but for those of us that love The Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Human League, et al, it's pretty stupendous. The production is wonderful, and sounds surprisingly contemporary, but without attempting to emulate current pop trends. The choruses are huge and the mixes are dynamic. Really good album!

last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Beat Connection, who put out what was probably my favorite ep last year, Surf Noir, have a full length out now! It's called The Palace Garden, and while it does have a similar beachy, summery feel that their decidedly chillwave previous efforts have had, I think they've really stepped up their game and now have a fully developed, rich sound. There are much bigger beat-driven, dancey songs on this one, but there's a big Calypso influence as well, that really adds to the summery vibe. This is a collection of songs meant for driving down a beach road on a warm summer night.
    They were painfully average at Sasquatch, but I'll give this album a chance. They're playing the Capitol Hill Block Party next month in Seattle so I'll have to give them another shot if their recorded stuff is good.

I've never seen them live, but they're a young band whose recoded stuff is very synthesizer/sample based, so it could take them a while to work out the kinks in a live setting. I actually thought it was just one guy until i was reading about the full length the other day. You should definitely check out the records though!
    last.fm

Already enjoying the album quite a bit so far. I'm a sucker for this kind of summery pop stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

I'd love to see Ultravox at Chella. Think I was hoping for it a couple years ago when they first announced their reunion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

The new Twin Shadow is fucking extraordinary. Huge tunes, front-to-back. Auto-induction into The Summer Albums Hall of Fame. It will be on numerous Year-End Lists, without a doubt.

Also: White Arrows' debut "Dry Land is not a Myth" is doing me completely right currently. Such killer, psychedelic grooves.
    I cannot wait to see either of them at FYF Fest. Bring on the summer.

PM for copies of either or both!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13.1
    LAST.FM

After a couple listens, I'd like to mention that I think the new Crocodiles album is fantastic! Haven't listened to them a whole lot in the past but there's so many catchy tunes on this one. "Bubblegum Trash" has instantly become my summer anthem. If you're in search of some warm and fuzzy rock (and need a temporary break from Slaughterhouse) I highly recommend it.

I've got to check it out again, but based on the first listen i gave it yesterday, i think the new Hot Chip might be my favorite of theirs! I was pretty surprised.
    last.fm

I had never heard Hot Chip until Monday morning tuning into KCRW for the FYF Fest announcement and they played "Ends of the Earth". Hooked.