Page 41 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

To me, it sounds like they're going for a Merriweather-style crossover hit. There aren't a handful of potential singles on this one, but by Liars standards it's a giant leap towards accessibility. It also happens to be excellent, so I have no qualms about endorsing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    Wait, what? It's a webrip, right? Don't see anything on ? just yet.

(but, good to know in terms of the content...excited for it!)
    It's streaming on NPR ("First Listen" link IceyHotshot posted earlier), as well as on Soundcloud.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    To me, it sounds like they're going for a Merriweather-style crossover hit. There aren't a handful of potential singles on this one, but by Liars standards it's a giant leap towards accessibility. It also happens to be excellent, so I have no qualms about endorsing it.
    "Crossover hit"? "Accessibility"? Are we listening to the same album? I can understand the MPP comparison in terms of the album being predominately "electronic," but I doubt it will thrust Liars into the mainstream consciousness like MPP did - where is the "My Girls"-esque track which is going to bring all these people in?

I do, however, agree with you in saying that the album is fantastic - "Octagon" is going to be such a beast when performed live.
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 05-29-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

"Brats" sounds like it's from the Party Monster soundtrack.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Coachella Junkie

Whole album sounds like the interesting Radiohead that died in 2000.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    "Crossover hit"? "Accessibility"? Are we listening to the same album? I can understand the MPP comparison in terms of the album being predominately "electronic," but I doubt it will thrust Liars into the mainstream consciousness like MPP did - where is the "My Girls"-esque track which is going to bring all these people in?

I do, however, agree with you in saying that the album is fantastic - "Octagon" is going to be such a beast when performed live.
    I admit it's a tenuous connection, and I didn't mean that it's going to vault them into a headlining show at the Bowl. I only meant it in the sense that they're making a concerted effort to exorcise all abrasiveness from their sound for the first time (Drum's Not Dead still has a capacity to repel that this one doesn't), and it wouldn't surprise me if the goal is to take a step forward commercially. But the Son of Amnesiac analogy is a much better representation of what this album's doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

"Flood to Flood"-->"Who is the Hunter"-->"Brats"-->"Annual Moon Words" is actually too good.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    The Sigur Ros album is beautiful. That is all.
    Agreed. The choral work is outstanding.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

"No.1 Against The Rush" may not be a "My Girls," but it's gonna hit a sweet spot (somewhere between Kid A and TVOTR) for a lot of people who haven't necessarily paid attention to Liars before.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I didn't catch any track names, but the whole Liars album is really quite something. So little aggression as compared to their previous work. I love the electronic sounds they create, and it's sequenced really well too. Definitely deserves lots of listens.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Rock and Hip Hop are going off in a big way for me this year. Chock another up on the rock block for Americana, the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse album. Everybody saying this is their first one together in 9 years misses an important fact: Frank Sampedro didn't play on Greendale, so this is the first full Neil Young and Crazy Horse album since 1996. Couple that with the fact that this is an all-covers album (uh-oh) featuring only old Americana songs that were mostly playground fare (UH OH) and that closes off with a rendition of God Save the Queen (What the fuck?) and there was a good chance this would be horrible. Instead, it's definitely the best Neil Young and Crazy Horse album since Ragged Glory (and probably the best thing Neil has done since then.) They sound GREAT here, super loose, loud and fuzzy as hell. If you've been following the pre-release tracks, Oh Susanna gives the best glimpse of how proceedings will go down: chanted backing vocals from Crazy Horse, Neil in verbose, full-on warble town and TONS of guitar fuzz. Oh Susanna is also one of the hardest rocking and loudest tracks they've ever released: it's one for the record books, and completely changed my opinion of what this album could be. They rewrite the melodies for most of the songs, to good effect. Clementine is another rager, Tom Dula is an 8-minute rambler in the vein of The Last Dance, and he pretty much rips Gallows Poles from the folk background, injecting a Ribot-esque guitar line and an old-time rhythm and vocal that, toned down a bit, would be a perfect Tom Waits piece. Oh, and they do a hilariously bad doo-wop version of that classic dad song Get A Job. The two places where they play the melodies straight are the most jarring. This Land is Your Land is Neil, a female vocalist, and almost none of the widely-sung lyrics. He focuses instead on the protest lyrics that Woodie Guthrie wrote and would occasionally perform; it was shocking to only hear the pro-populist lyrics in such a widely heard song. The final song, God Save the Queen, features the lyrics of the English national anthem over the melody of My Country Tis of Thee. It's odd, it's cheesy, but it's also completely Neil Young. Love the album, worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    "No.1 Against The Rush" may not be a "My Girls," but it's gonna hit a sweet spot (somewhere between Kid A and TVOTR) for a lot of people who haven't necessarily paid attention to Liars before.
    Yeah, as someone who has never been much of a Liars fan, I was blown away by the album after a couple of listens to the NPR stream.

Other releases I've enjoyed recently:

Bobby Womack's The Bravest Man In The Universe is definitely a departure from the old classic soul sound he's famous for (as it's produced by Damon Albarn/Richard Russell), but I think it works quite well.

SpaceGhostPurrp's Mysterious Phonk is partly a remastered re-release along with some new tracks of dark, murky southern rap. All self-produced. His best work to date.

Lemonade's Diver is really good, catchy electronic/indie.

I don't know how many people remember the Blue Nile, but singer Paul Buchanan just released a solo album, Mid Air. As expected, it's gorgeous. 14 fragile, atmospheric songs that practically demand to be listened to late at night with the lights down low. Things do get a little samey toward the end, but the guy knows how to create a mood, and his voice is just as evocative as it was in the Blue Nile's mid-80's/early 90's heyday. This will likely be toward the top of my list at year's end.

Re: Liars, I could definitely see "No 1 Against the Rush" becoming a radio hit. However, it's also been ages since I listened to the radio other than in passing in other people's cars, so maybe I'm way off.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Coachella Junkie

If there's a real single in there it's His and Mine Sensations.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Toward the end of my first listen now. It might be a leap toward accessibility, but it's definitely not very accessible, haha. What it is is fucking great though. I can't wait to listen to this through some good headphones.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Beck's new 7" off Third Man Records is hilarious. And still musically good.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I don't know how many people remember the Blue Nile, but singer Paul Buchanan just released a solo album, Mid Air. As expected, it's gorgeous. 14 fragile, atmospheric songs that practically demand to be listened to late at night with the lights down low. Things do get a little samey toward the end, but the guy knows how to create a mood, and his voice is just as evocative as it was in the Blue Nile's mid-80's/early 90's heyday. This will likely be toward the top of my list at year's end.
    Oh sick.

Candence Weapon's Hope in Dirt City continues the trend of very good hip-hop releases this year. Personally, after first listen, I like this album style more then El-P and Death Grips but rate it under Killer Mike. Definitely will give this some more spins.

The new Tallest Man on Earth record got substantially better after the second listen. Definitely a grower.

I'm very much enjoying the new King Tuff album, some good garage rock shit.

Kind of embarrassed to admit that it took until now to really appreciate Japandroids Celebration Rock. 'Adrenaline Nightshift' to 'Continuous Thunder' is probably my favorite finish to an album this year.

The 2:54 debut is really nice. If you're a fan of Warpaint, and even the XX (to some degree), this will likely be in your wheelhouse. I actually like it better than the Warpaint debut.

I can't wait to hear the new Liars album. With all this praise, I may have to cave and give the webstream a listen.

After third listen, WIXIW is the current front-runner for album of the year.

Yeah 2:54's debut album is pretty solid. Great chill music

Last edited by theklein25; 05-30-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

Will someone group the new Liars por favor? It's not on ?.

So I just, like, put on this Nurse With Wound/Graham Bowers album as background music (I know, right?)... but pretty much couldn't concentrate on anything else. one of the most delerium-inducing and exhausting things I've listened to in a long time. Completely immersive. For the record, I haven't been particularly impressed with any NWW stuff in a long while. While there are some similarities, this really doesn't sound like any other NWW stuff (I think Bowers has the helm here, and it shows). Hope this isn't the last time they collaborate.

Apparently it's a soundtrack to the hour between a major stroke and death or some shit. Fuck that noise, this absolutely speaks for itself.

Really enjoyed my listen to Metric's new release. A couple tracks reminded me of their older record Live it Out but there is plenty of new Metric as well. From track to track there is a great flow across the whole record. And its pretty sweet they got Lou Reed to do backup vocals on "The Wanderlust". I will listening to this some more, definitely.

Stream: http://soundcloud.com/metric-band/se...tica-1/s-HVnCN

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    So I just, like, put on this Nurse With Wound/Graham Bowers album as background music (I know, right?)... but pretty much couldn't concentrate on anything else. one of the most delerium-inducing and exhausting things I've listened to in a long time. Completely immersive. For the record, I haven't been particularly impressed with any NWW stuff in a long while. While there are some similarities, this really doesn't sound like any other NWW stuff (I think Bowers has the helm here, and it shows). Hope this isn't the last time they collaborate.

Apparently it's a soundtrack to the hour between a major stroke and death or some shit. Fuck that noise, this absolutely speaks for itself.
    Very intrigued. All of the Stapleton stuff I've heard from 2000 onward has been pretty staid, so I'm intrigued to hear something more intense from him, especially considering he was so great live.

Japandroids' Celebration Rock makes me want to try and have make my own little bands with friends actually work and become something. Absolutely jubilant.

Celebration Rock makes me want to go on a three day bender and never come back.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.