Page 30 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Midland's Placement EP is sexy as all hell. Great head music.
    Like blowjob music? I like.

Listening to the Midland EP now, "What We Know" is such a great track.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Just finished my first listen of the newest album from The Men. Dear lord, how are these guys not selling out large, large venues yet? I wasn't a huge fan of Candy, the country-ish track, but a virtually flawless album aside from that. Gonna have to line up early for their show at The Smell, I reckon.
    Okay, this album sounds like a different band than the album released last year, but fuck it is GREAT. I'm not quite done with it yet, but it's just so solid. And I really like "Candy!"
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie

Dr. John - Locked Down

Dr. John is a legend. Dan Auerbach helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Okay, this album sounds like a different band than the album released last year, but fuck it is GREAT. I'm not quite done with it yet, but it's just so solid. And I really like "Candy!"
    Yes, it's much less all over the place than last year's release. I like last year's a hair more, but a very small hair. This one feels more like the band coming into their own and finding their groove like no other.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah, the Dr. John record is the business. So groovy. So delicious.

I freaking love this, and I want an album right now. Who has this... I know one of you guys has it. Albums out in a few days.

EDIT: Full album streaming here. http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/2012...-party-people/

Last edited by lunatic core; 04-06-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

I love Céu. Her new album Caravana Sereia Bloom is brilliant, maybe her best work yet. I hate myself for missing that 2010 set.

M. Ward's new release A Wasteland Companion is a nice moody record that fits its post 2am listen well. He maintained his folk songwriting we expect from him but has introduced some new things for him such as synth/organ and stronger string sing section. There are a 2 or 3 bigger rock band tunes but most venture into a solo experimentation around the classic folk vocal/guitar formula. I really love the feel of the record, as if a specific rooms were found for recording his vocals, each instrument, and the backup female vocals and then arrange strategically later on. No specific songs stuck with me after this first listen but I see it being a solid 35~ minute album to just put on and unwind to in my future.

So, I know they haven't been relevant for a while, but the new Futureheads album is a capella. Four songs in, and it's pretty compelling evidence that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

Well, shit, everyone. That Lotus Plaza is fantastic and thank you very much for discussing it in here. I've stopped reading music review sites so it wasn't even on my radar.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Well, shit, everyone. That Lotus Plaza is fantastic and thank you very much for discussing it in here. I've stopped reading music review sites so it wasn't even on my radar.
    it's almost stupid how good it is.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    So, I know they haven't been relevant for a while, but the new Futureheads album is a capella. Four songs in, and it's pretty compelling evidence that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.
    ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha they took a gimmicky thing that made songs they did 8 years ago stand out from others and made an album out out of it. brilliant.
    last.fm

Agreed! A lot of what I've listened to so far this year, which admittedly hasn't been much, has fallen way under my expectations. This is something else.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Couldn't agree more about Lotus Plaza. Right when I get to the point of the album where I think wow could this be any better it closes with Eveningness into Remember Our Days into Black Buzz...I mean, seriously. That's an insane 1-2-3 punch.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just got my legal download of We Were Drifting on a Sad Song by Sleep Party People.
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

The Rest -SeeSaw I got my copy from preordering , but it should be coming out soon . Going to be hard to top it for my album of the year. I recommend their last two albums as well. Everyone all at once and Atlantis, oh our Savior.

I am revisiting The Maccabees' Given To The Wild right now and for some reason, this time it's REALLY clicking with me. there are some epic songs on here! Really beautiful, textured, well-played stuff.
    last.fm

Fucking finally! I only had that pegged in your wheelhouse, oh...from the moment I finished listening to it.

But, yeah....still near the top of my list for the year.

It's funny, i listened to it very nearly right after you first posted about it, but for some reason i just had a "oh this this nice" kind of reaction to it the first couple times I listened to it. But now, probably 2 months after having not heard it, the whole sound totally un-envelopes for me. Strange, but i'm glad I went for it.
    last.fm

This single post inspired me to download the record. You were not mistaken in this statement, shit is so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Truly. It's a great album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Green Day are putting out a triple album... Called "¡UNO! ¡DOS! ¡TRE!" Coming September, November, and January. I'm happy, that is all.

I'm quite enjoying the Here We Go Magic album. It's a jammy little groove piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Green Day are putting out a triple album... Called "¡UNO! ¡DOS! ¡TRE!" Coming September, November, and January. I'm happy, that is all.
    At least there's not a fourth one called "¡CATORCE!" #U2jokes

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I really feel like Squarepusher is going big with this new one. Simply not fucking around. The slow mutation of the first half worried me, but then it built into such and epic anthem of a track. Reminds me of the listening to the last Chemical Brothers album.
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by lunatic core View Post
    I really feel like Squarepusher is going big with this new one. Simply not fucking around. The slow mutation of the first half worried me, but then it built into such and epic anthem of a track. Reminds me of the listening to the last Chemical Brothers album.
    It's tasty. Only 307 views of the video so far... and 316 "likes." How'd that happen?

Soooo, Squarepusher for 'Chella 2013? Who knows, his tour might be done by then.

Squarepusher was fucking amazing at Creators project.

Also, new Spiritualized is very on par with his other releases. Which means it's fucking awesome. Can't wait to see him in May.

The new Black Dice album is super dance-y and fun in a puke-your-guts-out kindof way. Love those guys. Also seeing them in May at the Lab. WOO!

aaaand I don't know if you guys have been listening to the FRKWYS series that RVNG has been doing but the new album with Sun Araw, M. Geddes Gengras (drummer of Robedoor and Pocahaunted) and the Congos called Icon Give Thank has to be one of my favorite favorite releases of the year. It sounds like a Sun Araw album but with 100% more Rastafarian dub singers. It's great. We ordered it online and it comes with a movie of them going to Jamaica and recording with them and it is just the fucking best. I just saw Sun Araw and M. Geddes play in Oakland and I was talking to them about it and they said that they're just gonna keep going back to Jamaica and hopefully getting the Congos to come tour the U.S. Y'all should order the LP so you can watch the movie. It's worth it.

Praise Jah
    smok3

Ras Trent.

Wow, very surprised how much the new Jack White album has bitten me. The middle of the album, especially. The interplay between the strings, pedal-steel and piano is the highlight for me. Jack, you have my attention.

Oh, and the mastering on this just goes to show that a digital recording can sound pretty amazing...put in the right hands. I hope more info about this recording shows up soon (contributing artists, production, etc).

EDIT: Looks like we have RZA to thank for this gem. Ha.
    “RZA was supposed to come down and do a 45 for (Third Man's) Blue Series and he had to cancel so we had those session musicians there and nothing to do,” White recalls. “So I said: ‘Well, I guess we'll do something of mine.' That started the ball rolling and pretty soon, after a couple of weeks, I had four or five songs and just kept going . . .

“If I had made this record during the first three months of Third Man existing, it would not have sounded like this because I wouldn't have known any of these musicians. It would have been very different,” he says. “And I couldn't have made this record up in some other town.

“There's not too many fiddle and pedal-steel players in Detroit, y'know, whereas Nashville is just teeming with people all over the place. We were pulling people on the record who were playing on Broadway for tourists, who were in sessions for other albums down the block.”
    Last edited by GeezrRckr; 04-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.