Page 51 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 2234

Thread: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Default Re: Tell Us About 2012 Releases

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Ooh, interesting, i didn't know they had a full length! I really liked their half of the Darkbloom split with Grimes last year, much moreso than the Grimes half, actually.
    It's so great. He has two other anthologies of keyboard music out from this year as well. Haven't checked them out yet.

Anyway, I think I'm on my third listen of Swing Lo Magellan and every song is wrecking me... This album benefits so much on subsequent listens. The harmonies, beautiful hooks, and instrumentation are so on point. Amazing album. I see it ending up really high on my endofyear list; need to listen more.

i'm twice through dirty projectors and digging it... that first track is awesome. i love when they jam like that, reminded me of 'cannibal resource' and 'useful chamber.'

had my fiona apple cherry popped today and i appreciated it thoroughly. excited to listen to it some more. i really liked 'anything we want.'

ty segall was really good the second and third time around... not too big of the big fuzzy ending, a little annoying to listen to at work but all good. i'm expecting this to be an album i really enjoy on friday and saturday nights (ex. cloud nothings attack on memory).

twin shadow is, as someone already acutely mentioned, very top heavy. 'five seconds' is great and some of the other first few tracks are danceable. but after a while it gets somewhat repetitive and you begin to fade away from your dance mood and instead choose to focus on the lyrics which are admittedly not very good (see 'i don't care').

purity ring gets better and better to be honest. all the songs are nice little tracks that will be consistently sought after in my library.

i know its been a while, but lotus plaza and japandroids are most certainly mainstays in my listening cycle. they both rock, although in very different ways.

i'm currently super duper digging both echo lake and DIIV... interesting from two somewhat unknown debuts. but then again i do expect fiona and magellan to become personal favorites as well i could just have been in a tiny drought.

oh right, i forgot, field music's plumb is amazing. so unexpectedly psychedelic rock/pop that could have been made in the 60's. its very very good i would recommend it to any and all.

i've recently realized that i haven't listened to liars since really loving it almost a month ago now. about to re-explore that now.

ps. new little dragon track was 'eh' after first listen.. then again it's a shitty youtube rip as well.

Coachella Junkie

Shut the fuck up. Die in a bread.

Now, I hate to be hyperbolic after just one listen, but this new BEAK> album just blew my fucking mind. It won't be for everyone, but it feels like it was tailor-made for me. It's got elements of krautrock, drone, and even some of that sinister percussion that was so wonderful about Portishead's Third. Absolutely the best first impression I've had all year so far with an album.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I finally got around to listening to the new Beach House album "Bloom" a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it. I just could not get into Teen Dream. However, Bloom was an instant hit for me. I love the dreamy/groovy vibe of this record.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

I have listened to "Swing Lo Magellan" about 10 times, and have confirmed its perfection.

8/16-17 - Summer Sonic @ OVC Marine Field Tokyo
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest @ Exposition Park
    10/19 - Metronomy @ Belly-Up Tavern
    10/21 - Metronomy @ The Regent Theater
    10/23 - Metronomy @ Regency Ballroom
    11/17 - Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent
    2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 wk 2, 2013 wk 1, 2014 wk 1

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I finally got around to listening to the new Beach House album "Bloom" a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it. I just could not get into Teen Dream. However, Bloom was an instant hit for me. I love the dreamy/groovy vibe of this record.
    Come to the Tucson show.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

I just could not get into Teen Dream. However, Bloom was an instant hit for me. I love the dreamy/groovy vibe of this record.
    I feel the same way - couldn't get into Teen Dream but Bloom has got some Cocteau Twins-type shit going on.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I've only given it a few spins, but Bloom hasn't clicked with me like Teen Dream did. Will listen again soon.

As for Beak>... loved it upon first listen.

I honestly don't know where to put something this awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    It's so great. He has two other anthologies of keyboard music out from this year as well. Haven't checked them out yet.

Anyway, I think I'm on my third listen of Swing Lo Magellan and every song is wrecking me... This album benefits so much on subsequent listens. The harmonies, beautiful hooks, and instrumentation are so on point. Amazing album. I see it ending up really high on my endofyear list; need to listen more.
    Nice. Haven't listened to this yes, but was also really into that half of the Darkbloom EP. You might also like (or already do) Blood Diamonds. Some of his tracks like Dreams & Heart incorporates more R&B which fits with your current kick. But other tracks on Soundcloud are more uptempo lushy pop crazyness.

Same here. I'm dreading admitting to a friend (who was a big fan of Teen Dream) that I like the new album. I gave him shit because I found TD boring.

man... if only the BEAK> album would have lived up to the promise of that first track. still a brilliant album though. big step up over the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Come to the Tucson show.
    Damn, I would love to but it's on a Monday night!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    man... if only the BEAK> album would have lived up to the promise of that first track. still a brilliant album though. big step up over the last.
    I listened to it twice more today, and it's pretty much a full-on krautrock album, not having just "elements" of it as I mentioned last night. I mean, the third track is literally the drums from Can's "Vitamin C" verbatim.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Chris, you've heard their first album right?

Time To Go- The Southern Psychedelic Moment 1981-1986 is gonna' get a lot of spins this summer. Absolutely tremendous Flying Nun comp.

Edit: Probably wouldn't have downloaded this if not for Bmack consistently talking up Australian/New Zealand bands, so thanks for that.

Woah! There are four bands on there I'd never even heard of. The Stones only did four or five songs, but every single one was great. I'm really surprised to see tracks by Wreck Small Speakers on Expensive Stereos and Look Purple Go Blue, as they were both pretty obscure, even by Flying Nun standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    He's not only heard it but saw them play it at least once, probably twice.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Delicate Steve - Positive Force is delightfully happy and reminds me of 1960s era songs at certain points.

Review: http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...ive-force.html

NPR First Listen: http://www.npr.org/2012/07/01/155356...positive-force

Bumping the fuck out of Friends - Manifest! the last few days. Can't get enough; such catchy melodies that I found myself singing along by the end of the first song. Reminds me of a poppier, less-soulful Little Dragon. I really like it. Looked up the p4k review and I was really surprised by the low 5 rating. The review was even weirder; the reviewer could not just listen to the record, instead attempting to liken them to nearly a dozen different bands/artists in a few sentences. Anyway, I say check it out, you'll probably end up liking it. They had a single that gained some popularity last year, "I'm His Girl".

I've also been LOVING this AlunaGeorge single. Poppy for sure, but you can't deny a good tune.

For something weirder, Evian Christ's Kings and Them mixtape has been on repeat all morning; fucking huge bass/hiphop beats interlaced with some trippyyyyy verses/samples. Recommend.

edit: available for download here: http://www.thefader.com/2012/02/01/d...-them-mixtape/
    Last edited by ods..; 07-04-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I have. It's been awhile though.

And I remember liking it, thinking it was really impressive for a side project, but not as much as this.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 07-04-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I forgot about Friends...I'm kinda upset I missed them when they played Casbah last month. They remind me of a way more of a more modern indie Tom Tom Club.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Bumping the fuck out of Friends - Manifest! the last few days. Can't get enough; such catchy melodies that I found myself singing along by the end of the first song. Reminds me of a poppier, less-soulful Little Dragon. I really like it. Looked up the p4k review and I was really surprised by the low 5 rating. The review was even weirder; the reviewer could not just listen to the record, instead attempting to liken them to nearly a dozen different bands/artists in a few sentences. Anyway, I say check it out, you'll probably end up liking it. They had a single that gained some popularity last year, "I'm His Girl".
    People hate them because of stuff like this:

and this

I personally love Friend Crush and I'm His Girl (I have both 7"s which are great), but that's where it ends. Anything live by them seems to be a trainwreck.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    I personally love Friend Crush and I'm His Girl (I have both 7"s which are great), but that's where it ends. Anything live by them seems to be a trainwreck.
    Fuck I want both those really bad and your not the first person to say they are horrible live.I personally haven't seen them however I will when the time is right just in case they hit it off.
    Last edited by getbetter; 07-05-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I saw Friends on Saturday, it was very strange.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Hahahaha, those videos are hilarious. Strange band

I really like the new Ty Segall, its rough, fast, vicious, but I think the fuzz track at the end definitely ruins the momentum of the whole thing...

Shigeto's Lineage enters me into the craziest dreamworld i fucking love it

Friends live are ok. Check them out at a fest or supporting someone, but not worth the trip to see them alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.