Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1571

Thread: Hey. Wanna Come Over and Listen to Music aka The Bay Area Record Club Thread

Default Re: Hey. Wanna Come Over and Listen to Music aka The Bay Area Record Club Thread

Alrighty, when are folks available for such an endeavor? I know December is busy for a lot of folks. Throw out some dates and we'll see what works. I want to get as many as we can, even the folks who haven't made it in months.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Default Re: Hey. Wanna Come Over and Listen to Music aka The Bay Area Record Club Thread

I really thought I was gonna make it to the last one, I actually had a saturday off work, the fried chicken was calling my name, but the hangover I had that day would not let me get off the couch

Greg, were you thinking weekend or weekdays?

I'm tempted to buy someone's old records off of Craigslist for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I'm tempted to buy someone's old records off of Craigslist for this.
    Either works for me, but I think weekends are better for just about everybody. Jennie is gone from 21-26, but other weekends are open. We can always push it back January and call it the one-year+a month anniversary.

I think the lot of us are impossible to plan around. Christmas & NYE weekend are probably too busy for most. I have plans all next weekend but could possibly/probably do something in the afternoon/night before hand. Or, yea, January.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Oh man. Please don't have a dance party without the 80's.
    please do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Roller skating disco dancing?
    CellSpace? Went to that once...pretty fun!
    "If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long." -The Libertines

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Alrighty, when are folks available for such an endeavor? I know December is busy for a lot of folks. Throw out some dates and we'll see what works. I want to get as many as we can, even the folks who haven't made it in months.
    I'm only in town til the 27th.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

I think we'll have to wait until January for the anniversary party. But is anyone interested in a normal record club this weekend or next?

And ara, I bought those 50 country singles off ebay, should be arriving Monday or Tuesday.

This weekend is pretty busy for me, though I'd probably find a way to come over for a bit. Next weekend is fantastic for me, I'm boycotting family xmas.

Edit: so, yes.

Hope no-one minds the cross-post, but thought this was relevant to post in this thread, too:

If anyone happens to be free this Tuesday, Noise Pop is doing their last Record Collective get-together of the year: http://do415.com/event/2012/12/11/no...ord-collective
    I will be going, and it would be cool to meet some of you!
    "If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long." -The Libertines

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Hey guys, Amanda is trying to get porked over here, now will one of you step up and slide in her already.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I think we'll have to wait until January for the anniversary party. But is anyone interested in a normal record club this weekend or next?
    this weekend is santacon, so no. next weekend, yes!

I'm going to be in SF/Oakland this weekend. Any shops I should hit up?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    1,2,3,4 Go! Records in Oakland! And get some mac and cheese at the HomeRoom down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    1,2,3,4 Go! Records in Oakland! And get some mac and cheese at the HomeRoom down the street.
    I'm addicted to Homeroom. Their new Sriracha Mac is amazing!

The Mallard's playing there Saturday night! Score!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

The Mallard's playing there Saturday night! Score!
    Yeah, when I was living in Oakland the owner had talked about expanding it into a venue/beer garden so that local bands etc could play. I still haven't been out there to see the new location/space but I've heard good things. I know bballr's band has played there.

Damn it. I would totally take you to some spots but have spent the past three weekends spending more money than I should on records. I don't record shop in SF much anymore but as far as the East Bay goes:

1-2-3-4 Go!
    Stranded
    Dave's Records
    Groove Yard

All of those are worth your time. 1-2-3-4 Go! is the best choice for an indie fan. Really well-curated new stuff plus great used records. Punk-oriented but awesome for other things.

Stranded is a new spot on Telegraph and 65th (or 64th, can't remember. Look it up.) They have some cool used records and a lot of expensive, rare shit that is great if you are feeling ballsy. Their new stuff is mostly new reissues from Light in the Attic, 4 Men with Beards, and like-minded labels, but they have other new records as well. One of the dudes from 4 Men is a partner there and was working behind the counter both times I have shopped there. Nice guy.

Dave's is a cool spot on San Pablo in Berkeley. Lots of jazz and soul. His selection of new records sucks unless you want a comp from Numero or something similar. He has sick used records though and prices things to move. Dave is also a good guy.

Groove Yard in Oakland (on Claremont) is a cool spot a few minutes walk from my place. I haven't been since pre-Coachella though because it's waaaaaay too dangerous...the kind of place where he always has a killer record playing on the turntable that you have to buy in addition to whatever you found. He gets great used records and prices them fairly. He also has a rock section that isn't well picked through most of the time, and you can find some great records at good prices because rock is less of his thing. I got a fucking sweet Xmal Deutschland record there for a price worth definitely less than it is worth in its condition.

Don't hesitate to go to Amoeba or Rasputin on Telegraph either. Both have cool used stuff if you dig and can usually provide you with the new releases you are looking for.

I second this. Homeroom is literally 10 seconds walk away and totally killer.

Yeah, when I was living in Oakland the owner had talked about expanding it into a venue/beer garden so that local bands etc could play. I still haven't been out there to see the new location/space but I've heard good things. I know bballr's band has played there.
    The venue portion is really cool and fits maybe 50 people max. I've seen Screaming Females and Terry Malts there. Both ruled. It is all ages/no drinking though. Shows also start an end super early...usually 7-10. Shows end at 10 regardless.

We haven't played there yet, but my band is playing there on January 12th with the Mantles and Manatee. Everyone should come. $6.
    Last edited by bballarl; 12-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.

When in the city, check out Groove Merchant in lower haight for really fantastic used funk, soul, & psych from the long long ago. Inspiralled Grooves on Market is really great for used. New arrivals bin usually kicks ass, and the jazz section is typically stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey guys, Amanda is trying to get porked over here, now will one of you step up and slide in her already.
    I was hoping you'd be the one man enough for the task.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I second this. Homeroom is literally 10 seconds walk away and totally killer.
    I wish I knew this! I went by myself on Saturday.

Courtney's post in the Board Awards thread gave me an idea for BARC Awards 2012. I think we should do this. Limit voting to people who have attended a meeting and furnish all prizes from the janky Asian $.99 stores that populate Outer Sunset.

Perhaps combine this with our anniversary dance party? Perhaps combine this with a mountain of cocaine? Combine all three?

Now, we'll need categories. As you all know, I'm not funny or creative, so we'll leave that heavy lifting to Cara.

I don't know if our narcissism needs to be taken to this extreme. Though a mountain of cocaine to celebrate this inaugural year of awesome is of course, mandatory.

furnish all prizes from the janky Asian
    I got round-eyed when I read this, then I finished reading the sentence.

I don't know if our narcissism needs to be taken to this extreme.
    You and I both know this isn't true.

Mount Blowcaine, highest peak in the world, Everest is for fucking pussies

So... when is this happening?