Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey. Wanna Come Over and Listen to Music aka The Bay Area Record Club Thread

Default Re: Hey. Wanna Come Over and Listen to Music aka The Bay Area Record Club Thread

hey greghead just sent you my e-mail, I think. Still trying to figure out the lay of the land around here.

Default Re: Hey. Wanna Come Over and Listen to Music aka The Bay Area Record Club Thread

Ooooh. I live in Santa Clara as well, now. Awesome. Hope to see you there!

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Oh cool! I live by the Santa Clara Public library with my girlfriend of 8 years and our pug 'opu and cat cupcakes (pictured in my avatar) what time do you guys plan on getting together tomorrow?

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Ooooh. I live in Santa Clara as well, now. Awesome. Hope to see you there!
    ugh.

but next time you come up from there can you stop off and bring me a chicken burrito from Mercado La Torre in Sunnyvale (W Evelyn & Fair Oaks) and a carnitas burrito from La Bamba in MV (Old Middlefield & Rengstorff)?

The only things I miss about the south bay.

There's also the Shrimp Tequila from Fiesta Del Mar but we'll save that one for next time.

You may propose an appropriate compensation.

I just had a burrito from there the other day. It was delicious. Everything else about down here is naturally abysmal. I'll just drop one off in your mailbox.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I just had a burrito from there the other day. It was delicious. Everything else about down here is naturally abysmal. I'll just drop one off in your mailbox.
    I'm not kidding about this burrito plan. I will pay dearly.

Oh, man, La Bamba. I miss having friends in Mountain View who were willing to drive to SF, drive me to the burrito place, and then drive me back. We were partial to Burrito Real though (R.I.P.).

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    Oh cool! I live by the Santa Clara Public library with my girlfriend of 8 years and our pug 'opu and cat cupcakes (pictured in my avatar) what time do you guys plan on getting together tomorrow?
    Generally we get together around 5-ish and go until 10 or 11, though people show up and/or leave early. It's a pretty loose affair. I'll e-mail my address and phone number.

Perhaps you should bring one of these fabulous burritos for me to eat tomorrow. We'll send Jack pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Sounds great I'm looking forward to bustin a chill with you all! I got a stack of LP's (30 or so) I can bring over for your perusal. Some of my favorites include my live Stones/Pink Floyd/Radiohead bootlegs (my favorite 3 bands on Earth, in that order). However, tomorrow I most likely have to tutor a student. Gotta make extra dough for the festival!

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Some of my favorites include my live Stones/Pink Floyd/Radiohead bootlegs (my favorite 3 bands on Earth, in that order).
    radiohead bootlegs on vinyl?

Ah cool. There's no limit or rules on what we play, so bring a handful of records and play whatever you feel like. (to other guy, not Edward)

yep I got a couple! one from 1997 in NYC, the other 2008 London

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Lee should wait for the next meeting so I can see him
    Alright alright, I'm gonna wait until Sally gets back. That and I think all of the "DUDE. COACHELLA IS IN A FEW WEEKS!" talk would probably break my heart. =(

If the meeting after this happens during the week (which I assume would be after Coachella so... like a month from now?), I'd be more inclined to come between tuesday-thursday since it just works out well for me schedule-wise (especially given how gracious both Cara and Greg have been). Actually, if it happens on a thursday, I go into work on friday at 11 so it gives me a little more time... Just saying.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I reckon we'll try to get together again the week before Coachella. And then, yeah, wait until after Coachella for the next. We'll keep you informed.

hey greghead just sent you my e-mail, I think. Still trying to figure out the lay of the land around here.
    I actually have not received anything from you. From this post click on my username -> "Private Message" -> ? -> Profit

Final reminder that we're doing this thing today. I doubt I'll do the big chese & fruit spread this time, so either bring munchies or eat before you get here. Maybe I'll go to TJ's and pick up some of those super bomb pizza/flatbread things. I don't know. Just come over.

EDIT: And Chris, I received your PM and responded with my addy & phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Final reminder that we're doing this thing today. I doubt I'll do the big chese & fruit spread this time, so either bring munchies or eat before you get here. Maybe I'll go to TJ's and pick up some of those super bomb pizza/flatbread things. I don't know. Just come over.

EDIT: And Chris, I received your PM and responded with my addy & phone number.
    cheers mate Since I just found out about this little meet up yesterday I won't be able to make it this time (unfortunately) because I cannot flake on my prior commitments. I have to tutor a student who has a midterm tomorrow and her parents pay me the big bucks. I'm really looking forward to showing up at one of the meet ups in the near future. Have fun tonight and thanks for being a badass Greg and setting this whole thing up

Had an intimate session yesterday with myself, Cara, and Heidi for most of it, with Eric showing up around 8:00. We listened to sooo much good shit and it all progressed very well.

The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker
    The Beach Boys - Sloop John B.
    Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing at Baxter's
    The Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk
    Frankie Bones - Missile 48
    Seefeel - Plainsong/Time to Find Me
    Future Sound of London - Accelerator (!!!!)
    Osunlade & Nadirah Shakoor - Pride
    Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove
    Flunk - Blue Monday
    Burial - Kindred EP

Good stuff.

Also, we had the idea of curating meetings with a certain theme or style. Por ejemplo, Heidi tells us all a general theme she has and what she will be playing. We all, then, pick and choose a couple albums that are related to her theme and her choices. Our picks could include artists that share common stylistic ground, common players, or even just similar subject matter. I think it will force us to get creative with our picks, and it will also give each of us a chance to choose a theme or a style to focus on. Thoughts?

Discuss.

Sure, but maybe with the caveat that if you can't adhere to the specific theme, that it's still okay to bring something.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I like the idea of sticking to the theme but in creative ways. What Greg said. I think when it comes to influences, followers, fellow artists in a genre, other projects by a band/act member, subject matter, just about everyone would have something that fits, if they think about it.

At some point, I'd also like to do something like a theme of a specific year, or picking a progression of years. I dig this because it forces me to look at a wider range of music. I have a couple of years/eras that I am really comfortable with, and I tend to ignore releases that didn't come out during those times.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Sure, but maybe with the caveat that if you can't adhere to the specific theme, that it's still okay to bring something.
    that really defeats the point of a theme.

With the caveat that we mock and taunt the person who fails the worst at the theme.

Is there a meet up this weekend?

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

With the caveat that we mock and taunt the person who fails the worst at the theme.
    I don't know if that is the point of the theme either.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    that really defeats the point of a theme.
    Pretty much.

And I have to say, I've enjoyed more the meetings, like yesterday, where there was a really good flow to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Is there a meet up this weekend?
    We just met yesterday, so no. Probably in another week and a half or so.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    We just met yesterday, so no. Probably in another week and a half or so.
    Dude how did we miss each other this weekend? haha I will take you to that MV burrito place if its that good, I've never been.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I learned a lot yesterday. Great meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Dude how did we miss each other this weekend?
    Every time you texted me, you were on the opposite side of the hangar from us. Haha. We should meet up for Mangum though!

I want to attend one of these so bad, argh.