Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Default Re: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

It's going to take more than the Black Lips to pull me away from the Tomahawk set.

I think Black Lips should later go play Aerosmith with Run DMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I made these and am enjoying them.

FFF Friday

1. Yellow Ostrich, "Elephant King"
    2. Yellow Ostrich, "Marathon Runner"
    3. Fidlar, "No Waves"
    4. Fidlar, "Black Out Stout"
    5. Dum Dum Girls, "Coming Down"
    6. Dum Dum Girls, "Bedroom Eyes"
    7. Nick Waterhouse, "Say I Wanna Know"
    8. Nick Waterhouse, "I Can Only Give You Everything"
    9. Dwarves, "Let's Fuck"
    10. Dwarves, "Drug Store"
    11. Sugar, "Helpless"
    12. Sugar, "If I Can't Change Your Mind"
    13. Lucero, "Nights Like These"
    14. Lucero, "Ain't So Lonely"
    15. Superchunk, "The Question Is How Fast"
    16. Superchunk, "Slack Motherfucker"
    17. X, "Johnny Hit and Run Pauline"
    18. X, "The World's a Mess, It's In My Kiss"
    19. Run DMC, "It's Like That"
    20. Run DMC, "Rock Box"

FFF Saturday

1. Joyce Manor, "Video Killed the Radio Star"
    2. Joyce Manor, "Violent Inside"
    3. Brendan Benson, "What Kind of World"
    4. Brendan Benson, "Met Your Match"
    5. Red Fang, "Wires"
    6. Red Fang, "Dirt Wizard"
    7. Anamanaguchi, "Scott Pilgrim Anthem"
    8. Anamanaguchi, "Another Winter"
    9. Why?, "The Vowels, Pt 2"
    10. Why?, "You'll Know Where Your Plane Is (Pt 4)"
    11. Off!, "Panic Attack"
    12. Off!, "Fuck People"
    13. Real Estate, "Easy"
    14. Real Estate, "It's Real"
    15. Public Image Ltd, "Swan Lake (Death Disco)"
    16. Public Image Ltd, "Rise"
    17. Refused, "New Noise"
    18. Refused, "Refused Are Fucking Dead"

FFF Sunday

1. A Place to Bury Strangers, "Mind Control"
    2. A Place to Bury Strangers, "To Fix the Gash In Your Head"
    3. Giant Sand, "Big Fish"
    4. Giant Sand, "Hard On Things"
    5. Japandroids, "The Nights of Wine and Roses"
    6. Japandroids, "Continuous Thunder"
    7. Titus Andronicus, "Ecce Homo"
    8. Titus Andronicus, "In a Big City"
    9. Eric B & Rakim, "I Know You Got Soul"
    10. Eric B & Rakim, "Eric B Is President"
    11. Fucked Up, "Crooked Head"
    12. Fucked Up, "Queen of Hearts"
    Last edited by TomAz; 10-21-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Let's have a beer or two.
    yes. Let's. I'll p.m. you close to the fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

This is probably a really dumb question, but I just got my wristbands in the mail for this and there wasn't any info with them that answered what I'm wondering and I've never been to this fest before (and of course the FFF FAQ's didn't address this either) .... are we allowed in and out of the venue at will like we can at Coachella?

Their website had "NO FUCKING BULLSHIT FEES" pasted all over it, everywhere. "WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU PAY. I ordered a VIP pass, guess what, I got charged a fee. WTFFF?
    Skrillex 2013 tour dates:

1/24/13 – Montreal, Canada
    4/12/13-4/21/13 POLO FIELD-SIZED GAP
    7/12/13 - Montreal, Canada
    7/13/13 - Toronto, Canada
    7/17/13 - Winnipeg, Canada
    7/19/13 - Calgary, Canada
    7/21/13 - Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I would skip Omar. His set in 2011 was a complete mess.
    I agree that was a painful set. The lead singer who is no longer with the act is mostly to blame. I hear Omar's shows are can't miss recently, so I'm giving him another chance.
    Skrillex 2013 tour dates:

1/24/13 – Montreal, Canada
    4/12/13-4/21/13 POLO FIELD-SIZED GAP
    7/12/13 - Montreal, Canada
    7/13/13 - Toronto, Canada
    7/17/13 - Winnipeg, Canada
    7/19/13 - Calgary, Canada
    7/21/13 - Vancouver, Canada

Some random thoughts:
    Friday: Bob Mould>Converge>Lucero>Tomahawk>Superchunk>Against Me!>X>Run DMC>Seaweed>Surfer Blood>Braid is one insane run of music for my tastes.

Did I mention that I am on the list for Bob Mould's Austin City Limits taping???? If it's anything like that last time I saw one (at the old venue), Imperial Teen>Superchunk>The Mind Spiders following it may be a letdown. That's just crazy.

God, I wish NoMeansNo was doing a Nites set.

I finally get to see the Promise Ring, after missing their final show ever (well, at the time) opening for Bad Religion in Jacksonville. My copilot told me to get off the off ramp and we turned directly into the Florida/Georgia football game festivities, "The World's Largest Cocktail Party". It took 45 minutes just to get down the offramp and go directly back up the on ramp. The singer found out/announced that he had a sizable tumor in his head shortly thereafter.

I'm really not looking forward to drinking Heniken(sp?) Light all weekend. I hope there's another choice with the P.I.P. tickets. Otherwise, I'll feel like I've been ass licking a skunk all weekend.

Never thought I'd get to see Refused, much less twice in a few months.

It will be interesting to see how this stacks up against ATP, which has set the bar for festival experiences for me.

That extra hour of sleep on Sunday night sounds awesome.

I keep looking at "My Schedule" and can't quite wrap my head around it. Sooooooo excited.

Friday is fucking awesome, and then knowing I'll see PiL on Saturday and Japandroids and Titus on Sunday.. jesus.

Ending on Fucked Up/Turbonegro is going to be painful. Hopefully in a good way. Fortunately nothing much interesting going on Sunday "Nites". You're right, TomAz, Friday is a great year's worth of shows for me, compressed into a day. And then... I look at the next two days. I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmusicfan View Post
    Ending on Fucked Up/Turbonegro is going to be painful. Hopefully in a good way. Fortunately nothing much interesting going on Sunday "Nites". You're right, TomAz, Friday is a great year's worth of shows for me, compressed into a day. And then... I look at the next two days. I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this.
    I had to sit down for about 15 minutes after Fucked Up at FYF. These back to back with about a 5 minutes break is going to be brutal, but I'm sooo looking forward to it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

looks like this and one more show in LA is it for Refused.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    looks like this and one more show in LA is it for Refused.
    Another hometown show as well.

i meant for the US.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Last Bob Mould performing Copper Blue, too.

Whoa, the new .....Trail of Dead is suprisingly good and aggressive. Hmmm, Trail of Dead or Lagwagon?

Go see Residual Kid on the black stage on saturday. I've mentioned them on this board before. They are some of my best friends kids,(11-13 years old) and they bring the rock!

Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

leaving for Austin tomorrow.. fuck yeah.

just received an email stating no more free beer for PIP holders. 2 days before the fest they pull this bullshit. They have also taken the lithograph out of the package. so I paid extra for a fucking fanny pack. Also, A buddy of mine is stuck in New York and can't travel do to the hurricane and they refuse to refund his money. Their response is "that it clearly states no refunds on our website". I used to like this fest because it wasn't the money grubbing corporation like ACL fest. That has clearly changed.

also, Tom check your pm

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    just received an email stating no more free beer for PIP holders. 2 days before the fest they pull this bullshit. They have also taken the lithograph out of the package. so I paid extra for a fucking fanny pack.
    I think you misinterpreted the email. It's just that they have to comply with TABC rules so you have 'prepaid' for a set amount of beer. I think they said it's 30 beers over the weekend so you should be good.

For this year, all daily PIP amenities will be measured and accounted for, according to the law – and this will be administered through a detailed lanyard menu. This will help us provide the rigor and accountability that Texas requires, while still providing the party that you paid for.

I read it the same way as Tom.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to kick off the fest tonight? The Nites show at Mohawk Outdoors looks pretty good.

Yeah. I read it closer. What I don't get is how ACL can do free drinks. I saw this as shitty business practices. I don't really care about the beer, probably wouldnt have.had 10 anyway. I am upset about no longer getting the lithograph, though.

Also, fuck tabc.

my Friday take while it's fresh..

Yellow Ostrich - superb. I only know a little bit of their stuff but they really drew me in. dunno if it would have worked if i were 100 yards from the stage, but up close, it was great.

Fidlar - really fun. I mean seriously good fun stupid punk rock fun.

Dum Dum Girls - for me, disappointing. They just stand there and play their songs without a lot of passion. Now granted the sun was extremely bright and right in their faces -- at the end Dee Dee said "thanks for coming out to watch us melt" -- but really they are better in studio than live, I think. Plus they didn't play "Coming Down"

Nick Waterhouse - yeah he's ok for what he does. But he's no Sharon Jones that's for sure. So I left and went to

Dwarves - really great. No actual dwarves to be seen but still, 45 minutes of really great punk rock.

then i took a break and hung out and saw disgustipated, who has a texas drawl and makes wine for a living. Like almost all coach board members i've met he's seriously cool and interesting in person.

but then we had

Bob Mould - holy mother of god this set made the entire trip worthwhile. I mean seriously he sounded fucking amazing. I don't know anything about his band but they were fucking incredible. Insert additional superlative adjectives here. He played all of Copper Blue, per plan, then two new solo songs which I didn't know but really they sounded like they could have fit in on the album... and then he closed with "New Day Rising" which was the absolute perfect cap to the best set i've seen in a while.

After Mould I went to check out Lucero but my brain was just not there, they sounded great but I was still stuck on Mould. So i got a beer and listened to Minus the Bear in the background. They were ok I suppose.

So then this 'special performance featuring the Black Lips' and I can't tell you what happened. Black Lips were onstage and were crowded by a bunch of other people led by some fat older guy who I guess is famous for something but I had no idea who he was. He introduced himself as Val Kilmer and kept telling us The Doors were dead and then ultimately he cut off his hair onstage. There was a camera crew. No idea what I witnessed there. I did get to hear about half of "Family Tree" before said older guy interrupted to read a letter from his mom, which he wound up not actually reading.

Superchunk were fun and about what you'd expect. "Slack Motherfucker" sounded great but you know that song would sound great if played by underwater kazoos. which it wasn't. not this time.

X played all of Los Angeles but the sound was all fucked up at first and you could hardly hear Exene's vocals at all. They got it fixed, I guess, and it only took them 29 minutes to play the album. Then they played other stuff which sounded better and stronger to my ears, surprising cuz I think Los Angeles is a masterpiece. It sounded to me like they really didn't want to play Los Angeles, at least not in its entirety, and finally started having fun when it was over.

Run DMC did their thing and sounded fun but I was tired so i didn't stay long. My hotel is only like a 5 minute walk from the entrance which is cool.
    Last edited by TomAz; 11-02-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Unfortunately (due to school) I didn't get to the festival until around 6pm. That and traffic coming in was a fucking nightmare. When i finally made it in I caught about half of Lucero who sounded solid, but it was nothing I'd seek out outside of the festival.

I was really excited to see Earth since they never come to Texas. Unfortunately their set was plagued with technical problems. Their projector only worked 1/4 of the time and the keyboardist kept having sound issues and you could barely hear him for most of the set. I have no doubt thy they're probably a lot better at their own show in a non-festival setting. It kills me that I have to miss their show in Dallas tomorrow night because I really want to give them another chance.

After they finished I went over to some of the poster vendors and went over to watch X. I'm not really familiar with X but I'd heard they were good so I went to check it out. I'm really unfamiliar with their catalog so it was all new to me. I thought everything sounded really good and I have to agree with Tom that the energy lebel of the band increased about halfway through. After they were done I went back to my hotel. Wasn't very interested in seeing Run DMC although I'm sure they were fun.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. Odds are I'm going to be at the black stage most of the day.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I don't know anything about his band but they were fucking incredible.
    The drummer was Jon Wurster from Superchunk and the Mountain Goats.
    The bassist was Jason Narducy from Telekinesis.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Tom, the new Bob Mould album is amazing.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Yup, Silver Age is easily Bob's best work since Copper Blue. I'm so glad to hear that these shows are killing it. His last two tours he's been pretty much a ball of intensity and fire, and he seems to have really found the passion behind those old Sugar and Husker Du songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

there once was a girl from Madras
    who had a very fine ass
    not soft round and pink
    as you'd like to think
    but the kind with long ears that eats grass