Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Default Re: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

So I am looking at the schedule.. do they really do 5 minute stage turnovers?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    So I am looking at the schedule.. do they really do 5 minute stage turnovers?
    yes

stages are set-up like this

like that right there is the orange stage. Band plays on the right side while another one sets up on the left side and vice-versa. The Black, Blue, and Orange are all like this. It's really kind of genius and works very well

that's pretty cool. I approve.

I don't know hardly any of the bands between Yellow Ostrich and Bob Mould on any of the stages Friday; Cursive is the only name I recognize. And on Saturday I don't know anyone before Why? (except the Fugazi guy). So I have much research to do. Recommendations welcomed.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Heather and I are very interested in getting a whole group to go and possibly rent a house if there are any in the area. We are 100% committing to this for 2013 and definitely will do PIP if we can.
    You and Heather are pretty awesome, and I have no idea what you guys think of me, but this sounds like a great way to spend a weekend in Austin at a music festival next year.

everyone should go this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I so wish it were possible to go this year, but i'm already taking a 6-day weekend to go to New York the weekend RIGHT before. i'd basically have to take the whole week off to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    that's pretty cool. I approve.

I don't know hardly any of the bands between Yellow Ostrich and Bob Mould on any of the stages Friday; Cursive is the only name I recognize. And on Saturday I don't know anyone before Why? (except the Fugazi guy). So I have much research to do. Recommendations welcomed.
    For Friday, I personally would spend most of that time at the black stage.

Fidlar is a really fun Los Angeles-based garage/punk band that puts on a great show. I've recently seen them play support for for both Fucked Up and The Hives.

Kvelertak is a somewhat jokey, but really strong and very entertaining metal group from Norway that borrows a lot from 'big '70s rock. I'd compare them most closely to the bigger, poppier stuff that Turbonegro releases.

Torche is a really fun metal band that has a really sludgey guitar sound, but their songs tend to be extremely melodic and more pop-punk based, and they have good non-screamy vocals.

The Dwarves are a fun, tongue and cheek hardcore band that often uses a lot of stage antics like actual drawves running around on stage covered in blood. Nick from QOTSA has played bass for them on and off over the years.

Also, Nick Waterhouse is a great retro garage/soul act that would sit right at home with guys like King Khan.

Icona Pop made a really huge impression on a lot of people at Culture Collide this weekend, but I haven't heard them nor do i know anything about them yet.

Napalm Death is a great classic grindcore band, but I don't know if that's your thing.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez is the guitarist from At The Drive In and The Mars Volta, but I don't know what his solo stuff is like.

For Saturday, i also don't really know a lot of the acts early in the day, except for these few:

Joyce Manor are a pretty good, very young, gritty pop punk band. Vocals sound a lot like Against me!'s

Red Fang are a good stoner rock band, for fans of Baroness

Anamanaguchi are a really awesome chiptune band - they play really frenetic music that sounds like old Nintendo games

I've been hearing good things about Gold Fields, also because of their Culture Collide performance, but don't know them
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 10-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    You and Heather are pretty awesome, and I have no idea what you guys think of me, but this sounds like a great way to spend a weekend in Austin at a music festival next year.
    Totally! I'll start looking into possibilities early next year. Out of curiosity i saw a few place son VRBO already, but it doesn't really make sense looking this far out as there could be totally different places on the market, around say May 2013 or something.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I would skip Omar. His set in 2011 was a complete mess.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

actual drawves running around on stage covered in blood.
    Must see. ahahahahhahaha that shit is great.

So I bought my ticket. See you there.

Awesome. I definitely second the Torche recommendation, they're kinda like doom-pop, the best elements of doom (guitar tunings) with non sucky vocals and hooky songs that don't overstay their welcome. The Dum Dum Girls are part of the girl group revival thing that seems to be going on. Basically Drinkey on the money with his post, I can add a little on Saturday: Brendan Benson is indie/power pop, he's also in the Raconteurs w/ Jack White. Joyce Manor, yep, pretty good for new guys. Braid is old school emo, before emo became a bad word, pretty solid. The Spits are a straight up punk classic punk band. Youtube Red Fang videos, they are pretty much making some of the best videos going currently and I love their brand of stoner rock, I'm really, really looking forward to seeing them live.

Sunday is where it's at for me, though. Holy crap.

Alright, some really important questions:
    Who has the best migas in Austin (Downtown)?
    Barbeque?
    Tex-Mex/Mexican?
    Late night eats?
    Best place to drink (lunchtime, probably)?
    What else is not to be missed?

I have been coming to Austin since 1980. My wife's family is from there and I used to do a fair amount of business there. My travels there have not been what they used to be in recent years, however, so this material may be dated.

I am quite fond of this place for Tex Mex: http://www.guerostacobar.com/

This is one of my favorite drinking places: http://aus.gingermanpub.com/

BBQ, I dunno, I think you have to get out of town and out into the sticks to get seriously good BBQ. But this article says that has changed: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/19ttpatoski.html

Thanks. My internet research keeps pointing me to Franklin Barbeque (as does the nytimes article), which is a few blocks from my hotel. Definitely doing that. I keep making myself hungry at night trying to research/plan.

I recommend Home Slice if you want pizza. Best Pizza Margherita I've ever had. Also, they have lunch slices.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

If I'm not mistaken you have to get there hours before they open to get barbecue and wait in line. Like they sell beer and concessions for the people waiting 2-3+ hours in line type of line. But I've also heard from my Austin friends it's the best BBQ ever.

Yep, that seems to be the word. I wouldn't wait at dinner time, but I can deal with an hour or two for what I keep hearing is the best barbeque in the US at lunchtime. We'll see.

And Home Slice is, by far the most recommended pizza place in Austin. Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmusicfan View Post
    Yep, that seems to be the word. I wouldn't wait at dinner time, but I can deal with an hour or two for what I keep hearing is the best barbeque in the US at lunchtime. We'll see.
    From what I've heard, they essentially sell out before they open every day. They give one person in line a sign that's like the "last guaranteed bbq" or something. It's all apparently worth it. Hope you get some!

SCORE. Guess who's going to see Bob Mould record his Austin City Limits? This guy.

For Friday, I personally would spend most of that time at the black stage.

Fidlar is a really fun Los Angeles-based garage/punk band that puts on a great show. I've recently seen them play support for for both Fucked Up and The Hives.
    research so far is telling me to split time between orange and black stages. Fidlar is a winner, def going to that. Right now looking like Yellow Ostrich -> Fidlar -> Dum Dum Girls -> Nick Waterhouse -> Dwarves -> Bob Mould -> Minus the Bear -> Superchunk -> X -> Run DMC

Saturday, Joyce Manor (if i get there that early) -> some of brendan benson? -> Red Fang -> Anamanguchi -> Why? -> Off! -> Paul Banks (maybe) -> Real Estate (maybe but more likely food) -> PiL -> Refused

Sunday, A Place to Bury Strangers (or, if I can find the AZ-GB on tv in a bar somewhere, i may do that instead) -> Giant Sand -> Japandroids -> Titus Andronicus -> last part of Rakim -> Black Angels -> Fucked Up -> maybe Edward Sharpe but more likely leave early.

Franklin will be stupid busy. A normal day for them is a two plus hour wait and sell out by noon or one. During any event the line will start forming around 8 a.m. and most times they sell out before opening. This place is comparible. JMueller is actually where Aaron Franklin learned to BBQ.

Ginger man is a great place. but my new favorite spot in Austin is bangers. 100 plus beers on tap and hand made sausages. It's in the middle of the Rainey street district. Rainey Street is a neighborhood where the houses are being converted into bars. It's a fun place to hop around for a night.

Polvo's is a good spot if you're wanting mexican . La Condessa is the best mexican, but it's high-end interior mexican rather than tex mex. Guerro's is a cool spot for margaritas, but good lord their food is horrible. It's an Austin staple, though. Home Slice is phenominal for pizza.

I have lived here (minus two years in san diego) since 1997. I know this place inside and out so if you guys have any more questions fire away. I look forward to having a beer with some of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

are you going to FFF?

yeah I'll be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Let's have a beer or two.

I will think of more questions, but I`m definitely interested in great migas.

News Flash: Special Performance Featuring The Black Lips @ FFF
    We have just confirmed that The Black Lips will be part of a Special Performance at FFF this year on Friday, November 2nd on the Blue Stage from 6:30-7:00pm. This is all we can reveal at this time.......loose lips sink ships.

This just gets better, doesn't it?

Yeah, looks like I'll be a little late to Superchunk.