Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Default Re: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Walking distance? Yes. It's doable, but maybe not enjoyable. Your best bet is a pedicab. After a few days of the fest you probably won't want to do the walk. Last year I tipped a pedicab guy $40 because it was so great not to have to walk anymore. The 1L bus is the express and will take you from Congress/Barton Springs to 6th and Congress. Then it's a quick walk up to Red River. A bike would also work, but I'm not sure where you would be able to securely lock it up.

Are secret shows a given or possibility or what? Have they, in the past, been last minute twitter announcements or something? I only ask cause they kind of mention on the website something about them.

Saw Black Tusk last night, they're pretty great live. Their Nites set would definitely be worth catching if you're into sludgy metal.

Officially booked. Hotel, flight and P.I.P. passes. A 4 day solo adventure. It's gonna be a long 6 weeks of waiting. Pretty damn stoked.

There were plenty of places to lock bikes up by the entrance last year.

Maybe he meant that at the Red River venues locking would be tough?

First Nites shows are a month from today. This time next month I'll be in the air somewhere over the Southeast.

I meant the 1L express bus was directly outside my front door so I never biked it downtown. There could be plenty of places to lock it up and I just don't know because I never paid attention. There are plenty of homeless people on Red River that will watch your car for you for a few dollars so maybe they will also watch a bike. Seriously, there are a lot of homeless people around RR that will probably be watching your bike, but there's also so much foot traffic that I assume it would be hard to break a bike lock and not get noticed. Although someone in the SX thread did report getting their bike stolen during the fest.

I'm stay at the LaQuinta in Red River, so it looks like access to the Nites venues will be easy (as will getting home), and I'll slowly make my way to the Fest in the early afternoon, so I'm not really stressing that. Then bus, pedicab or cab will be the deal if I think I need to get back to a Nites venue quickly. Seems reasonable at this point, at least.

I keep thinking I should do something about this, like go to it, since the lineup seems really packed. Then I forget about it. Then something makes me remember it, and I go back and look at the lineup again, and I go, holy shit, I need to go to this. Then I don't do anything about it.

Somebody talk me into / out of going.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

it's cheap, the line up is awesome, Austin is a fun city, you should go. I wish I could! I definitely am next year though, as their line ups are consistently awesome.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Yeah I know Austin inside and out, my wife is from there and I used to have regular business there. Been to ACL and SXSW as well. and yes it's cheap and yes the lineup is awesome and no I don't know a single other person who's going.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Gooooooo
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Tom, every year the lineup to this thing is amazing. I think they have some VIP pass (maybe sold out) that included all the beer you can drink. What I'm saying, basically, is do it. And then tell us all how great it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'll be your friend. Wait, that sounds creepy. Seriously, I backed out of ATP because of a destination wedding the weekend before, but kept looking at this lineup and thinking I have to do that. I finally pulled the trigger and couldn't be more stoked. I've only been to Austin for ACL fest, but loved the city. The "maybe the best barbeque in the nation" is two blocks from my hotel, the Nites shows are free, food and beer is included in the "P.I.P" tickets and, dude, look at that lineup again. I'm going to walk around Austin by myself in musical bliss for 4 days. Do it. Lifetime memories await.

Brian and Zach, I wish you guys were going to be there, too. Maybe that sounds a little creepy, too. Hmmm.

Tom, this is such a fun fest. Very different feel than ACL, much younger crowd, way less people, stellar lineup from top to bottom. I have been to every one of these and for the past two years I have done the PIP - Free beer, swag and food(if the vendors decide to honor the free food). Extremely worth it. Also, the Nites shows are free with fff ticket stubs. I can't express enough how awesome this weekend is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Disgustipated, are the Nites shows tough to get into? I guess I'm particularly worried about Thursday night's Imperial Teen/Superchunk show at the Mohawk.

They can be. I have been turned away at a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by fastmusicfan View Post
    Brian and Zach, I wish you guys were going to be there, too. Maybe that sounds a little creepy, too. Hmmm.
    Next year I'm planning on going....even though Tomahawk won't be there . SS Coachella took a HUGE amount of festival/show money.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

New Tomahawk tune streaming today.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Next year I'm planning on going....even though Tomahawk won't be there . SS Coachella took a HUGE amount of festival/show money.
    Heather and I are very interested in getting a whole group to go and possibly rent a house if there are any in the area. We are 100% committing to this for 2013 and definitely will do PIP if we can.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Heather and I are very interested in getting a whole group to go and possibly rent a house if there are any in the area. We are 100% committing to this for 2013 and definitely will do PIP if we can.
    I'm either doing this or Moog next year for sure. I have family/friends in Austin, but I would definitely be interested in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

I was just thinking about going as I'm going to take time off the second weekend of November for my birthday but then I saw that it's the first weekend of November. Isn't that earlier than last year?

Gribbz I'm in for next year.

Nites schedule has changed or finalized or something (so says the website), but I can't tell what has changed. I don't remember Jarboe, Pujol, Sisu, or Liam Finn on there before, but, man, it's kinda overwhelming. I'm digging the Mind Spiders while doing my homework. Really, really getting pumped for this.

Mind Spiders is an awesome band.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah, I think you recommended them to me before when I mentioned Jay Reatard while talking about Ty Segall? I kinda forgot about it, but I'm really digging them. Maybe I can pull off a Imperial Teen/Superchunk/Surfer Blood/The Mind Spiders run Thursday night to start this thing off right? That would be pretty badass.

Oops, I'm reading the schedule wrong, scratch Surfer Blood, that's Saturday.