Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Default Re: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I've been looking at the schedule to keep the Clashfinder updatedand noticed quite a few things. Mainly, the Nites shows have been massively updated, so check them out! Opening acts have been added all over and set times everywhere have changed.

Thee Oh Sees have been brought back as a headliner to the Small Black show at Beerland

Judge has been announced as the Special Guest TBA at Mohawk (inside) for Friday.

Chali 2na now has a solo set at Empire Control Room Sunday Night.

Sarah Silverman is now Saturday night instead of Sunday night.

Blake Schwarzenbach is now off the schedule for both Nites and the fest.

For the fest itself, the biggest thing is Swarzenbach being replaced by ((Sounder)), Bonobo and Deltron 303 switching places, Killer Mike performing at the skate ramp, several small comedian additions to the yellow stage, and taco cannon appearing on multiple stages.

Here's the updated clashfinder: http://clashfinder.com/s/fff2013/
    So how'd this turn out?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Man what a fucking insane and spectacular weekend! I have so much to say about it but I'm just relaxing back at home now and I have jury duty tomorrow. Will have a lot to write later. But I absolutely cannot recommend this festival enough. Hands down it was one of the most fun weeks I have ever had.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Glad you guys enjoyed it so much! It was great showing you and Heather around.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

so it was fun,fun... FUN

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    But I absolutely cannot recommend this festival enough.
    this is what i've been telling people. especially cara and zack but wtf do they know.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

i've gotta get there next year. any reason to get to Austin is enough, not to mention the great reviews i've heard.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    this is what i've been telling people. especially cara and zack but wtf do they know.
    Moving costs got in the way of having fun fun fun with you but now that that's done and I've gotten the hang of being miserly it should be a go for next year.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Like Drinkey, I also cannot recommend this festival enough. The venue is beautiful. Lots of grass and trees and easy to navigate through. I couldn't get over how much this festival offered that wasn't music related. There was a skate park and half pipe (which was open to the public), a wrestling ring which was insanely fun, and various other games and activities (cornhole, hungry hungry hippos, a barber shop for charity, a dating game, a battle rap competition, artists creating murals live, etc.). The food line-up was outstanding and drinks were reasonably priced. I loved the fact that you could walk around with a drink and not be confined to a beer garden.

There were a few sound problems early on but nothing major. I thought each stage sounded pretty good overall. My favorite stage was definitely the Black (metal, punk, etc.). The two aforementioned genres are pretty big in Austin and it definitely showed. The energy on the Black was unbelievable. The middle area of the stage extended into the crowd like a big diving board for stage diving. I've never been to a festival that not only allowed, but ENCOURAGED (or so it appeared) climbing on the stage and jumping off.

Here are some of the bands that stood out:

Friday

Ceremony: I decided to jump in the pit for old times sake and ended up getting my ass handed to me. Really fun set, though.

The Walkmen: This was my first time seeing the band and I was quite impressed. I didn't really care for their latest release but the material off of it sounded great live.

Cut Copy: This was my first time seeing them since their infamous Coachella set of 2011 and it was fantastic. The lit up Austin skyline looked beautiful as the band played in front of it. Not nearly as good as the aforementioned 2011 show... but that probably goes without saying. I doubt their 2011 set will ever be beaten or replicated.

Flag: Wow, wow, wow. What an incredible performance. The crowd was absolutely nuts and it was easily one of the best sets of the weekend. Stage divers galore.

Saturday

Unlocking the Truth: This band consists of three 12 year old metal heads. Their performance was a ton of fun and they have a lot of potential. I ran into the kids and their parents walking around afterward and it was absolutely adorable. The parents were glowing and were super appreciative that I stopped them and offered praise.

White Lung: Great punk band from Vancouver. Tom and I hadn't heard of them prior and we both rocked the fuck out.

Melt Banana: Insane noise/punk duo from Japan. So fucking bizarre. The singer had this electronic remote thing that was attached to her hand that was controlling portions of the music. I really want to see them again.

Television: I'm pretty new to the band but I can see why people go crazy for them. The crowd was pretty big and they put on a great show.

Tycho: My third time seeing him and it was easily the best. The set was absolutely hypnotic and I had a hard time leaving early for Deerhunter (one of my favorite bands).

Deerhunter: This was my third time seeing them and it was one hell of a set. I agree with Tom, though regarding the crowd. I had to move away because people kept talking about Deerhunter and other things while they were playing. I didn't encounter much of this with other acts which was kind of weird.

Simian Mobile Disco: I'm now convinced that their DJ sets are better than their live sets. I danced my ass off and you could tell the duo was having a blast up there.

Ice T: I honestly wasn't expecting much... but I walked away rather impressed. He's a pretty well polished performer and his banter was pretty funny (loved all of the Law & Order references). Bushwick Bill from the Geto Boys came out at some point and rapped a bit as well.

Decendents: Really fun set. A ton of people got on stage and screamed the lyrics while embracing the singer. I thought it was better than their FYF set a few years back.

Sunday

Cloud Nothings: Loved the new songs. The drummer is an absolute madman, too.

Deltron 3030 w/orchestra: This act had a lot of hype going in and it's definitely well deserved. My favorite part was the very end when they played "Clint Eastwood." Loved how the crowd sang the chorus in unison.

Bonobo (live): Bonobo has been on my bucket list of bands for quite some time and their performance destroyed my expectations. I closed my eyes and completely lost myself in the music. I was happy that they drew such a big crowd, too.

Jurassic 5: My first time seeing the band in almost 15 years and they absolutely killed it. I've never seen a hip-hop act engage a crowd like that before. Loved the turntable guitar and their overall stage presence. Their crowd was enormous to boot.

The only cons of the festival that I can think of is the lack of portopoties (I never waited in line, but there's only two bathroom areas and they're pretty spread apart) and the Yellow stage/tent. What a joke that was. If you wanted to see a notable comedian you had to get there at least 2-3 hours early in order to get in.

Anyway, great festival overall and I'm happy I got to enjoy it with Drinkey, Heather, Tom, and Nathan. Hope to see more of you there next year!

Fin.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 11-12-2013 at 12:34 AM.

2-3 Hours? Holy Shit.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Yeah, their comedy tent was smaller than the yuma tent.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

A ton of people were complaining on their fb page. Hopefully that does... something.

yeah when you bill Tenacious D and Sara Silverman and Patton Oswalt as highlights of your festival and then put them in a place so small only a fraction of the attendees can see them.. it may seem cool/viral/whatever, but really, it's bait-and-switch. If that's what I'd bought my ticket for, I'd be pissed.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Well Stand up comedy does better in small rooms and low ceilings so I would assume its to create that atmosphere

Last.fm

Well Stand up comedy does better in small rooms and low ceilings so I would assume its to create that atmosphere
    Eh, Sasquatch's comedy tent is probably 5 times bigger and it didn't ruin the atmosphere at all.

All the acts mentioned sell out theaters. They know how to do crowd work.
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Yeah,crowd work works even better when you can actually see the person they are mocking. I am imaging a small comedy club setting within this festival.As being compare to the Yuma which has been compared to an "Los Angeles club setting".Hopefully with a smaller crowd you get less talkers and hecklers as well.

Last.fm

The point is if I am paying for a ticket that is advertising the shit out of big name comedians, I should be able to see them without a huge hassle. These names are big enough to sell out and work theaters, so there is no reason not to get a bigger tent.
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

The point is valid though a lot of those comedian did more set during the nites it looks like.What my point were are just thoughts maybe that is why for such a tiny tent.Even worse is having Sparks in there.

Last.fm

Sparks had way less of a draw than Tenacious D, Sarah Silverman, Craig Robinson, or Patton Oswalt. The locations they appeared at during the nights were larger than this tent and they had lines around the block at show time. The tent should have been 4 times as large. I'm going to have to disagree with you Zack. if you want what you're talking about, go to the theater and not the outdoor music festival to see that act. it was definitely a disappointing element for me, but it didn't ruin the festival either.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Who else saw Television and/or Slayer and has anecdotes for me? Or descriptions of the new Cloud Nothings material?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I saw all 3 and a lot more. i just haven't felt up for a lot of writing yet. Will do soon hopefully!
    last.fm

Please do. I hope to attend this next year, but this year had so much that sounded incredible. I particularly wanna know what direction Cloud Nothings are headed in, as Attack on Memory is an incredible album and I want them to continue to succeed in the way that Dylan so clearly did on that record.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    The point is if I am paying for a ticket that is advertising the shit out of big name comedians, I should be able to see them without a huge hassle. These names are big enough to sell out and work theaters, so there is no reason not to get a bigger tent.
    totally agree. however, I imagine the reason they don't have a bigger tent is they are a little tight on space as is. I mean that thing was really shoehorned in there, and i can't think of another place to put it without completely re-engineering the entire layout.

next year they have to re-do the whole thing anyway since Auditorium Shores won't be available, so maybe they'll fix it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Eh, Sasquatch's comedy tent is probably 5 times bigger and it didn't ruin the atmosphere at all.
    Watching Portlandia live was the worst decision I made at Sasquatch.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Who else saw Television and/or Slayer and has anecdotes for me? Or descriptions of the new Cloud Nothings material?
    I second this. "Little Johnny Jewel" is arguably the greatest song ever pressed to wax, but how does it sound live, thirty some odd years later? Kinda bummed that they're not playing "Friction." Also, I'm currently obsessed with "Wasted Days" and "No Future/No Past" - those songs are just so freakin sweet. Do they slay them live?
    Idol snake, get out of that skin.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Watching Portlandia live was the worst decision I made at Sasquatch.
    lol I made the same mistake. It was painful to watch.
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fuzz View Post
    I second this. "Little Johnny Jewel" is arguably the greatest song ever pressed to wax, but how does it sound live, thirty some odd years later? Kinda bummed that they're not playing "Friction." Also, I'm currently obsessed with "Wasted Days" and "No Future/No Past" - those songs are just so freakin sweet. Do they slay them live?
    When I saw them last week, Little Johnny Jewel was a huge highlight. Tom's guitar playing is so intuitive and perfect and Jimmy Rip really fills in well for Richard Lloyd. I preferred the live version to the single without a doubt.

I apologize for taking so long on this - beyond being super busy both day and night this week, for some reason i decided to write 4500 words on the subject.

Before starting this insanely long-winded, possibly tl;dr essay, I’d like to mention how fucking awesome it was having Matt Gribbz as our host in Austin – he’s an absolute delight and we had such a fucking blast the whole time. It was also really nice to be able to spend a lot of time with Nathan, who is wonderful, and finally meeting and getting to watch quite a few sets with Tom! My biggest regret of the weekend was not exchanging info with Tom so we could meet up more often.

THURSDAY NIGHT -

after quite a bit of drinking at Frank and Easy Tiger we made our way to the Mohawk for the Kurt Vile show, part of the FFF NITES shows. The Tontons were on, and they’re very listenable indie rock/pop with a very attractive singer with a very nice voice. Ultimately the music was fairly forgettable, but I certainly wouldn’t be angry if it were to be played in my presence.

Then Kurt Vile came on and played a fucking fantastic hour-long set. I had seen him only once previously, very recently at this year’s FYF Fest on the main stage during the day, and it really is a different experience seeing him in a little club at night (even it was outside and I was up on a balcony). He and his band are really tuned into each other and manage to surprisingly rock the fuck out pretty hard – which ends up catching me by surprise because he ends up there in a very organic, not obvious transition from a fairly long standing drone.

After Kurt Vile we left the Mohawk and tried to get into Holy Mountain for the Title Fight show (which was being opened by Austin band Boyfrndz, whose ep I really like this year and weren’t playing the actual fest itself), but the line was around the block, so we gave up and went into Red 7 instead.

Dikes of Holland were on, a local Austin punk/noise/rock band fronted by a tiny girl wearing a “Property of Jesus” shirt, banging on a second set of drums, screaming her lungs out, and being fairly vulgar on stage while getting obviously drunk, beer in hand and taking cocktails from audience members. The set was fast and furious, loud as fuck, and all of the songs have a tongue planted firmly into the check. A lot of fun and I intend to check out more of their stuff.

After that, OBN IIIs came on, and at this point my memory is getting blurry because we realized they kind sucked anyway and kind of stopped paying attention. I think the singer sounded kind of like Ian Asbury, whom I kind of hate. It was definitely that kind of dick-out power singing. At that point it was getting pretty late and we had our first actual day of fest in the morning, so we went home.

FRIDAY –

After peeling myself out of bed and shoving coffee into my face, we got into the festival grounds around 12:40, about 30 minutes before the first act I wanted to see, so we did a tour of the various booths, scoped out the size of the comedy tent, looked at merch, and checked out the posters.

I will digress and just talk about the grounds a bit.
    The fest gets a lot of sponsors so there are a lot of booths advertising wares, but also providing pretty cool swag. Smart Car had a booth where you could make your own free sunglasses and bedazzle free handkerchiefs. Aquasana, a home filtration company sold really nice $3 metal water bottles (the kind with the clips for backpacks and belt loops) and had about a dozen huge jugs of cold filtered water for free for anyone (the only time I paid for water all weekend was buying that bottle and I didn’t even have to do that) and there were never lines. Shiner, the beer sponsor, had stickers, sunglasses, and specially printed FFF beer cozies for free. There were people giving away free Twinkies all weekend. And so on and so forth. I really don’t mind corporate sponsorship at all if it doesn’t feel intrusive, and this was all pretty fun.

On top of all of these things, there are lots of local jewelry and clothing vendors, but coolest of all is a pretty big Flatstock-like section of poster artists with their own booths. There was a lot of really cool stuff, but I hate buying posters while I’m out of town because I just don’t want to even think about transporting them or keeping them safe.

As you walk further into the grounds you notice bars just off to the sides without cages, which is a very pleasant sight for people from CA. Also, there are about a half dozen huge cubes with graffiti artists working on giant murals. They work form morning to night, create an amazing piece, then it gets painted over and another artists does a new piece on the same space the next day it was really cool.

And then there were the skateboarding and BMX ramps! There was an entire park right in the middle of the festival, as well as a full size half pipe, and at any given moment there were people both amateur and professional riding on them, which provided great entertainment between bands when we just wanted to kill 5 or 10 minutes.

There was also a wrestling ring, which we didn’t see in use for the first time until later that afternoon, and this was so much more fucking entertaining than I ever could have imagined. The wrestling show is like this fest’s version of Lucent Dossier. It’s a huge troupe of performers that put on 2-3 shows a day, like an hour long or more each, and these people go fucking bananas. I would dare say that some of the wrestling we saw was more entertaining than a lot of the music we saw. It was a amazing.

For food, there were two main sections, one being a row of 7 or 8 trucks, and one with about 10 stands set up from local restaurants. Most of the food was pretty good, but there wasn’t much that was mind blowing. The one pizza place SUCKED, which was very disappointing since pizza is such an easy thing to eat at festivals. There was plenty to eat for vegetarians and vegans, but there wasn’t anything in the way of healthy food except for a juice place. By Sunday I was really craving a goddamn salad after eating so much meat and fried junk food all weekend.

And lastly about the general grounds: the bathrooms. Like Matt said, there were plenty of port-o-potties, and usually not much of a wait, but they were placed in only two locations in the whole fest, which is a pretty damn long park. So almost every time one had to pee (and if you’re drinking a lot of beer and staying hydrated, that’s a lot) it was a journey. I’d love to see that addressed, but I’d also rather have to walk a while instead of their not being enough.

Okay, enough jibber jabber – on to the music!

The first band of the festival proper would be Code Orange Kids on the black stage at 1:10pm. I wasn’t familiar with them before line up research, but they play extremely heavy metallic late 90s style hardcore, breakdowns galore. They sound great live, and are just as punishing as on their record, but the most jarring thing is that they look like they are all 15 years old, one of them is a girl, and they are not particularly tough-looking in any way. One hates to immediately turn a band into novelty, but it did help with the entertainment value of watching them perform.

Next up was Title Fight, whom I saw a couple years at an FYF Fest, but since then I’ve really become enamored with their album Floral Green, so I was pretty excited to see them again. They’re definitely a very solid live band, but to be honest it all sound really samey after a little while, and part of the problem was that Ned Russin’s vocals were not coming into the mix loud enough. Still, not at all a bad set.

After Title Fight I wandered over to the comedy tent and caught about 10 minutes of the Live Action Battle Rap, which turned out to be pretty damn funny. Then got a beer, got some food, and caught the last 20 minutes of Ceremony. I’ve seen these guys before, most recently last December opening for Titus Andronicus, and they’re a really great live band, more interesting than on record even. They tend to do a lot of their earlier hardcore stuff, they’re really spastic, and looking at them is just confounding. The guitar player is like pseudo goth, and the bass player is a tough guy, and the singer looks like somebody’s war vet shell-shocked uncle. They sure bring a big crowd too.

Next we decided to check out The Impossibles, a ‘90s punk-ska band from Austin who reunited after 10 years last year. They are a competent band, playing extremely 90s sounding skate punk and several songs that sound just like Weezer, but the whole thing definitely felt desperate, highlighted by the fact that they all wore shirts with the band logo on them. It also seemed obvious that these are guys that broke up because they weren’t doing that well and haven’t been playing music for a while, but they did not sound cohesive and it was a little sloppy. It boring pretty quickly and we watched some amazing wrestling.

After this I decided to at least attempt to see Patton Oswalt, but 10 minutes before his set time the crowd was spilling out the side entrances of the tent and there was a line out the main entrance, so we went to see Small Black instead. I really like the album they put out this year and I was ready for a break from guitar rock, and these guys put on a really solid show – great vocals and nice representation of what is mostly synth-driven on record with guitars and live drums.

Next up was Big Freedia, whom I’d been getting pretty excited about. Even though the show is basically a DJ playing the tracks from the album with Freedia rapping along with his/her own vocal parts and mostly vamping, this is a fucking insanely fun show, because it really is about the dancers and their butts. And there is a ridiculous amount of booty shaking involved with this performance. Big Freedia really is the Queen Diva, and knows how to put on a hell of a show.

Cut Copy was possibly the most anticipated act of the weekend for me, since I, like many others, haven’t seen them since that mind-blowing Coachella 2011 set. And like Matt said, it’s going to be damn near impossible to match the energy of that night, especially outdoors and with a much bigger crowd, but they definitely played an amazing set. The sound was spectacular and they moved with ease throughout their different releases.

SIDE NOTE: It was here that I really learned how easy it is to get up pretty damn close to the stages at this festival. Save for the teeny tiny comedy tent, people didn’t really seem to be camping out en masse for big acts and the crowds don’t really get super tight, so it’s generally pretty easy to come around the sides and ease in through loose pockets through the crowds.

Another really amazing thing about these stages is they have really tiny photo pits – there is maybe 6 feet between the barricade and the stage, even at the biggest stage, and security is minimal. It really feels designed with the fans in mind. The black stage even had a catwalk built into to that brought the stage right to the audience for the sole purpose of allowing audience members to stage dive. Stage hands would only intervene if people started dancing on stage or staying up for an unreasonable amount of time with out actually diving. END SIDE NOTE.

To finish up night 1, I originally intended to watch the entirety of Snoop Dogg, since I’d never seen him before. In true fashion the show started about 15 minute late (despite him only having an hour before curfew) and it started with the DJ spending about 5 minutes simply playing pieces of songs that Snoop didn’t even appear on. Then when he finally came out, it was some awful reggae song with backup singers/dancers. After about a minute I realized I made a mistake and Matt and I high-tailed it to the black stage.

We made the right decision ending the night with Flag. I saw them not long ago at FYF Fest where they were one of my favorite sets of the weekend, and they definitely did not disappoint this time either. It’s amazing how much energy this bunch of old dudes have, and Keith Morris really tries to retrain himself from babbling during these sets as well. I was also impressed with how fucking LOUD this set was. Really awesome.

Originally several of us had intended to go out and see a bunch more bands at the Nites after shows, but we were all beat, so heather and I just walked back and hung out at our AirBnB room to rest up. We were extremely satisfied so far and almost in disbelief that there would still be 2 more full days of this!

SATURDAY –

We started Saturday off right with Unlocking The Truth, The instrumental trio of kids from New York playing monstrous metal jams. They are exceptionally talented, but it is true that they wouldn’t be nearly as appealing if they weren’t 12 year old black kids. If this was a group of 30 something white dudes, they’d be stuck playing in bars. But as it is, they’re really great musicians with great attitudes that certainly have the potential to be fucking amazing as they get older. Unfortunately this set ended up having some major sound problems that ended up being true for the black stage most of the day.

I was extremely disappointed to find out at the last second that Big Black Delta had cancelled, so we went to go see Bleached instead. This would be the third time I’ve seen them since June, so not a lot to say as the set is pretty much the same. They’re great and I recommend them to people who haven’t seen them though. This ended up being a good time to sit and stay rested for a long day ahead.

After Bleached we stuck around the main stage for Merchandise, who are kind of a shoegazy, post punk kinda band from Florida. They come off being ultra serious, almost to the point of parody, on stage, but they play well and sound great, so all is forgiven.

Next up was Melt Banana, which was insanely fun. They blazed through songs rapid fire, with Yasuko adorably saying “thank you” and announcing the next song in her chipmunk voice every time. They didn’t have a live drummer with them and Yasuko appeared to be controlling the drums and the other samples with some sort of large flat device that appeared to be strapped onto her hand, that she waved around in concert with the samples. The first half of the set was appropriately loud, but I think somebody got scared and they ended up cutting the volume almost in half. Unfortunately, they ended up completely fucking up the mix in the process and it took another good 10 minutes to even things out.

Pelican was next and while their mix seemed okay, their overall volume suffered from being neutered, as this is a band that really needs to be loud. It was my first time seeing them and they do a great job of bringing their sludgy atmospheric metal to life on the stage.

After that I had time to catch about 20 minutes of Subhumans, a definite starter band for a lot of people just getting into old school punk. They were playing From The Cradle To The Grave in its entirety, and the band sounded really great. Despite his age Dick Lucas still looks the part as a gutter punk, and he has not aged well. It works well for the stage though.

Television, I have to admit, is a band that I have long been aware of and have certainly heard their music, but am not very familiar with. They are a band I’d been meaning to get to eventually but just hadn’t yet. So I grabbed Marquee Moon upon their announcement to the fest and have been listening to it, but I can’t really get into many specifics about their set, song-wise. What I can say however, is that these guys do put on a brilliant show, and you’d have no idea that they hadn’t been playing together all this time. The band is extremely tight and coordinated yet feel really comfortable with each other so things feel really organic and not simply rehearsed. It’s great they played to a huge crowd, but I was able to get in very close to stage right at the beginning of the set and had a great view.

After Television, Heather and I ran across the field to catch the second half of Body Count. Now, this isn’t a band I’ve ever rally listened to with great interest (or Ice T’s rap stuff), but I certainly know the group as “Cop Killer” came out in an extremely influential part of my life, so I was very curious. It turned out to be an extremely entertaining set. The band is really on fire right now, and Ice T himself seems to be at the top of his game. He’s extremely energetic and interactive with the audience, and just seems extremely enthusiastic about his performance.

After Body Count we got really distracted by the wrestling stage which had some great fights and ended with a full on Battle Royale featuring the entire cast of wrestlers in the ring at once. I know, I really should have watched Deerhunter or Judge or Sparks, but I was so thoroughly entertained and laughed so heartily that I don’t really have any regrets about it.

Finally, the end to Day 2 of the fest would be Descendents, one of my all time favorite bands. I had the pleasure of seeing them twice in 2011 (FYF Fest and night 3 of the Goldenvoice 30th Anniversary shows) , and even though this is basically the same set list, the show is still just fucking brilliant. These guys are so impressive on stage that it doesn’t make sense in my brain that they have taken such long breaks and they aren’t performing in front of huge crowds all time. And seeing them with a big group who know all the words to all the songs is just so much damn fun.

We were so exhilarated after that set that Heather and I thought we’d try to get into the Tenacious D show at the Mohawk. Descendents actually played over their time and longer than the other acts, so we ended up walking across a fairly empty field on the way out. We power walked the 1.7 miles to the Mohawk in about 20 minutes only to find a line around the block. At that point we ended up going into Beer Land to drink some beers with Drakulas and Audacity playing in the background, but we didn’t get up from the bar so not too much to report about them.

SUNDAY –

Somehow, after a fairly late Saturday night, we managed to get up and out to the fest earlier than previous days to catch Lemuria’s opening set. I really, really like this band, and even though they’re a little loose and sloppy live, and Sheena Ozzella really isn’t the best singer, but there’s so much sincerity and so much good energy in their performances. They were a bit rougher this time than when I caught a half-set at FYF Fest, but Sheena mentioned she was having vocal problems, and it still didn’t deter too much from my enjoyment of the set.

Next up we caught the last 15 minutes of True Widow, who play very sloooooow music. I’m not exactly sure how to categorize them, as it doesn’t quite seem heavy enough to be called metal, but it certainly has characteristics of metal. Doom folk maybe? Either way, it’s entertaining enough, but does get a little repetitive after a while.

After this we relaxed with a beer with L.A. locals Cayucas playing in the background. This band is certainly not offensive, but to my ears it’s very whitewashed, bland Latin-inspired easy-listening music and really t for me.

Immediately after we finally witnessed the TACO CANNON, which a huge air cannon with a revolver-style magazine that shoots, pretty rapid fire, fairly large objects at fairly large distances. In this case the objects are tacos wrapped in bandanas while lots of goofy people dance on stage to Utah Saints’ “Theme from Mortal Kombat.”

Next up was The Polyphonic Spree, which was one of my most-anticipated sets of the weekend. Unfortunately they ended up going 20 minutes late and had to cut their set so short that they didn’t even play “Running Away,” which was really disappointing. However, beyond that the set was pretty great. It’s fun to see 18 people working together on stage, the music works really well live, and Tim DeLaughter’s songs just make me so damn happy.

So with the disappointment of not hearing my favorite song from the previous band, we grabbed more beer and headed over to where Cloud Nothings would play next. The last time I saw the band it was at the Glasshouse in April just after the second weekend of Coachella. The band members all had long hair, they were finishing a huge touring cycle, and they were turning their songs into hugely monstrous pieces of metallic noise. This time around, it was their first show in 3 months – they were fresh and ready to go. They were incredibly tight, in a great mood, and performing a lot of brand new material. Everything was toned back closer to normal this time around and the new songs fit in nicely with everything else.

Next up we checked out Washed Out, who I wasn’t that enthusiastic about because I’m not that hot on the new album, but there wasn’t much else going on and it was time to relax with some beers and chat anyway. The band has been expanded too big I think, and the reggae influence isn’t helping. There is also a lot of Santana-style guitar work, which I really don’t like. Fortunately, the latter 1/3 of the set was mostly Within and Without material, which still sounds great.

Next up was The Dismemberment Plan, who I was planning on leaving early from but still have enough time to get a good amount of, but went on at least 15 minutes late. This was a bummer because these guys are fucking great! Their energy is absolutely electric, and the bass lines sound incredible. This is a band that somehow escaped me in the '90s, though I definitely saw the name around, and I instantly fell in love when I finally heard them a few months back. I will definitely try to see them in L.A. next month.

But we had to leave early to go see Deltron 3030, which is one of my most anticipated sets in I can’t even recall. We arrived to a very packed stage and crammed into the front right corner. We were close to the stage, but the layout made it so we could see only the very front, so we could see Dan The Automator and we could see Del, but the rest of the stage was obscured. Despite my initial apprehension about that, as soon as they started it all sounded so full and rich, and Del was absolutely on fire. To my surprise, throughout the set tons of people left, and we were able to filter in so far that we were practically Front and center, with a great view of the up front rock back, Kid Koala, and his 3 tables, and most of the orchestra. The hour-long set really was every bit as great as I could have wanted it to be – certainly a mixture of pure nostalgia and perfectly executed, extremely well rehearsed show. And of course, the crowd went totally fucking ape shit when they ended the set with “Clint Eastwood.”

After that great set, we grabbed more beers and headed over to catch the tail end of Gojira. I don’t really listen to that much of this kind of metal anymore, but these guys are really great live. Its obvious they are used to playing huge European festivals and large venues – their sound and their presence are both incredible huge and extremely polished.

Following this up we managed to get up really loose on the right side of the stage for Slayer. This is a band I have been listening t for as long as I can remember and for some reason have never seen live. It’s obvious right off the bat what professional these guys are - massive stage presence, precision performing, every beat is totally perfect and everything is extremely loud. I was super happy with what I was seeing, but the fact that Jurassic 5 was on at the same time was bothering me and I definitely got the point, so we took off the other stage after 40 minutes.

Along with Deltron 3030 and Outkast’s Stankonia, Quality Control was tremendous in getting me to enjoy hip and rap in a meaningful way when I was 18, so getting to see Jurassic 5 now was pretty special. These guys just fucking throw down – they are such professionals, their songs are so much fun, and they seem like they’re having a lot of fun together. Along with all the great rhymes, it was really cool that they allowed time for Cut Chemist and DJ Nu-Mark show off their stuff as well.

And thus was the end of the festival. Originally I had wanted to try and get out to see Defeater’s 12am Nites set, but we were just absolutely conked out and needed to pack and be prepared getting out of town the next day. It was an extremely satisfying end to a festival, and it’s easy to accomplish time and cost-wise that I ‘d definitely do it again.

I also have a ton of photos to put online, but I still need to go through and
    Edit a lot of them.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 11-14-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    last.fm

Got an email yesterday that early bird tickets are going to go on sale very soon. Just keep an eye on their fb page.
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu

Lovely writeup!

I went as well and very much enjoyed the fest. There were a few problems (biggest was yellow tent was too small for who they booked there) but it didn't really get in the way of me having a great time. If I had bought USP I'd have been pissed but luckily I didn't.

A compliment I'd like to give that wasn't mentioned yet was that there was near zero security. Bag check was minimal and done by volunteers and otherwise security seemed confined to a few guys on the stages. I can't say how much a vibe improves at a concert or festival when there is minimal security (and the little security there was seemed to have good attitudes from what I witnessed). And, yeah, it helps when the crowd is good people so there are no problems regardless.

I bought early bird last year just because I wanted to check out Austin and the festival and it was totally worth it. I'd also absolutely return to this fest as a destination festival though I'll now need a lineup to 'wow' me to get me back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4-4 - Wussy @ Webster Hall
    4-7 - Thee Silver Mt Zion @ Bowery Ballroom
    4-9 - Thee Silver Mt Zion @ Union Pool
    4-27 - say hi @ Rough Trade
    5-9 - EMA @ Rough Trade
    5-16 - Elbow @ Webster Hall