Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Default Re: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    So then this 'special performance featuring the Black Lips' and I can't tell you what happened. Black Lips were onstage and were crowded by a bunch of other people led by some fat older guy who I guess is famous for something but I had no idea who he was. He introduced himself as Val Kilmer and kept telling us The Doors were dead and then ultimately he cut off his hair onstage. There was a camera crew. No idea what I witnessed there. I did get to hear about half of "Family Tree" before said older guy interrupted to read a letter from his mom, which he wound up not actually reading.
    Well I guess it was Val Kilmer after all.

Wielding a prop chainsaw to destroy a guitar amplifier and then using a bowie knife to cut off clumps of his own hair, actor Val Kilmer made a Hollywood spectacle out of an already chaotic set by Atlanta garage rockers Black Lips on Friday at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin. Film crews caught every moment of Kilmer’s destruction during the concert that served as a backdrop for director Terrence Malick’s untitled new film, which also stars Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, Michael Fassbender, Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchet and Rooney Mara, who was also filmed playing guitar with Black Lips members during the shoot.

"Did they tell you we’re making a movie? We’re not. We’re practicing making a movie," Kilmer informed the crowd while playing the part of an overblown, has-been rocker named Dwayne. While Black Lips performed wildly, Kilmer was filmed repeatedly yelling at the band members to stop playing, telling them "We’re gonna play my song tonight!"

Malick and his film crews have become regulars at concerts in the live music capital since causing a stir at last year’s Austin City Limits Festival when film crews were first seen trailing Bale to capture footage for the film that’s reported to center around a love triangle within the city’s music scene. Since then, Gosling has been spotted with film crews all over the city, including a gig with Mara at last month’s ACL Fest during another Black Lips performance.

Chanting lyrics such as "Autograph the epitaph!" and "Rock and roll is dead! Long live rock and roll!" Kilmer’s role is a clear callback to his portrayal of Doors singer Jim Morrison in Oliver Stone’s 1991 biopic. Kilmer played to that fact, trying to incite the crowd that eagerly pelted the stage with drinks and other debris.

"Do you wanna hear some Doors songs? Well, you’re 20 years too late. No Doors here. We have some windows . . . got some garage. But we’ve got no Doors."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/vi...#ixzz2BBCtV4eN
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Too exhausted to write a lengthy review,but holy shit Peelander Z.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Saturday was a weird day. sort of slow for anything to catch my interest.

I couldn't decide between Joyce Manor and Brendan Benson and wound up seeing a bit of both. Joyce Manor were kind of boring. Brendan Benson was ok, he played a Gram Parsons cover which is always OK by me.

Then Red Fang who sounded really cool and I was getting into it and they ended 10 minutes early.. wtf?

Anamanaguchi is fine I suppose. Actually it goes like this: first song, wow these guys are a blast, second song, ok, cool, more of the same, third song, yeah ok, fourth song, don't these guys do anything different?

Why? supplied the first interesting set of the day. I really need to listen to them more, their set was really good. Quite a contrast to what I'd seen so far Saturday. The sound was very clean and bright and I don' tknow how else to describe it other than 'really interesting and good'.

I went to go see Off! and caught the second half of the set by someone called The Riverboat Gamblers, who I had never heard of. They play a sort of springsteen-tinged punk, Gaslight Anthem-cum-Social Distortion. They were worth 15 minutes of my life.

Off! were exactly what you'd expect and exactly what we saw at Coachella a couple years back. Play a few short, fiery hardcore songs, then preach at the crowd for 5 minutes, then repeat as necessary. I bet Keith is sort of a pain in the ass to hang around with.

at this point I had a gap and wandered around a bit and then wound up sitting through part of Paul Banks, meh.

I decided to give Real Estate a try because people on here I know and respect rave about them but, I'm sorry people, they are not a very good live band. At all. This is a rock and roll show turn up the volume people. You're not going deaf from tinnitus yet. and, you know, play the songs like they actually mean more than just some chord changes you've been practicing for your tuesday 4pm guitar lesson with Mr. Smithey. and for god sakes people save your best song for last. You don't OPEN WITH the one song of yours that I have found interesting enough to actually repeat play. You know the one ("All The Same") where the guitars go on and on chiming for a few minutes? You had the good sense to close your album with that one, why did you open the set with it? I guess it doesn't matter what song you play when you have the volume turned down so low that no one can hear you anyway.

Anyway Real Estate had a large turnout and got a polite but not exactly enthusiastic response from the crowd they'd drawn.

Then I had another gap in my schedule so I went and checked out Wavves, who were hard to find anything interesting about whatsoever. So from there I went to Danny Brown, and I was like, is this guy for real? His voice is so high and um effeminate I first assume he was a flamboyant homosexual, not that there's anything wrong with that, but when he went in to the rap about eating pussy i was like, ok, what, is this a parody? So then I actually went and got in position for PiL and caught the last two or three The Head and the Heart songs. They sounded like Coldplay covering (or trying to cover) The Band, which you know didn't really work. But it was their saccharine crowd dialogue that made me wanna puke.. "I really can't tell you how thankful and grateful we are to be playing here this evening.. Thank you for having us Austin. We are deeply thankful from our deepest hearts". These guys seem like a PBS Fund Drive Week Concert Special waiting to happen.

You know who will never have their own PBS Concert Special? Public Image Ltd, which you know is too bad because once again these guys fucking destroyed my brain. They sounded great and John was fucking so spot on with his singing and that big fat wobbling bass going all over the place and i swear they may have been even better than they were at Coachella in 2010. It's hard for me to think of a band I'd rather see live right now than PiL. Is it my imagination or has John's voice gotten even stronger since Coachella? Amazing. riveting. Worth the weekend right there.

So after PiL, I was gonna go see Refused, but I changed my mind and caught Diamond Rugs instead, and I am glad I did. If you don't know them:

Diamond Rugs is a collaboration between John McCauley (Deer Tick), Robbie Crowell (Deer Tick), Ian Saint Pé (The Black Lips), Steve Berlin (Los Lobos), Hardy Morris (Dead Confederate) and Bryan Dufresne (Six Finger Satellite)
    And they played thoughtful, well-constructed, contemplative songs about drinking beer and shit like that. They were great and a great counterbalance to PiL's intensity.

that Yellow Stage tent is tiny though -- maybe about 1/4 the size of the old Gobi before it was expanded -- I don't know how the fuck they are going to fit crowds for Titus Andronicus and ..Trail of the Dead today.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Wow, De La Soul were some of the biggest cunts I've ever seen on stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

I should have some decent pics to post in the next few days. I was against the stages for Superchunk, Seaweed, Red Fang, Nomeansno, Bob mould, Promise Ring, Black Tusk, lagwagon and Fucked up. Talked to Bob Mould on the street, and Black Tusk, FightAmp, Surfer Blood and Fucked Up at venues. Got set lists from NoMeansNo, Superchunk, Fucked Up and Surfer Blood. Sets of the weekend for me were NoMeansNo, Red Fang, Refused and Black Tusk. NITES shows were where it was at.

Sunday I got a late start, for me, I went and watched the Cardinals get their asses kicked by the Packers for a while, then gave up. Saw someone called Bleached, LA grrl punk, they were ok but not quite there. then A Place to Bury Strangers who I was slow to get into but as their set went on it grew on me and got all slashy and feedbacky and it was great and put me in a good mood.

Right after that was Giant Sand. I think it's a real shame this band is not better known, Howe Gelb's been at it for like 20 years, and the music was fucking perfect. Quiet stuff.. along the lines of Leonard Cohen. There were only liek 100 of us there it seemed, which was too bad, but I was very happy I got to witness this.

Japandroids rocked, that place was as crowded as any set i saw all weekend. fucking packed and people were loving it. It was good fun.

Deerhoof for a while. I was asked, "Do you know what band this is?" "This is Deerhoof". "Oh I thought they had a guy singer?" "No they still have that little Japanese girl.. (light bulb comes on).. oh you are thinking of Deerhunter aren't you." "Yeah that's the band with the Atlas Sound guy, right?" "yes" "ok good thanks"

Titus Andronicus put up the best set of the weekend and probably the best set of rock and roll that I have seen in several years. I have posted and will post more in the Misery Slog thread, but jeezus people if you get a chance to see these guys, they were amazing. I mean, holy fuck. I mean, if you saw them at Coachella a couple years ago, they are now a much, MUCH better live band. I kept thinking of the Who and the Clash. Not kidding.

So after that total mindfuck i just relaxed with some beer and caught part of umm I don't even remember, whoever was on the Orange Stage. But then down to the Black stage for Fucked Up, who were really great. Damian spent the entire set singing from the pit. The thing about Fucked Up that is so great is they play hardcore but really with a lot more dramatic tension and musicality than any band like them.

On my way out I caught part of Atlas Sound. My brain wasn't there though.

So I was barely in the air out of Savannah and realized I left my satellite radio and I was coming back to a dead truck late Monday night. Anyway, started out Thursday evening meeting a friend for dinner and then went to Bob Mould's Austin City Limits taping. John Doe from X sat 2 seats directly in front of me. Bob's set was good and the new theater is very cool. Then the Mohawk for Superchunk/Imperial Teen/Mind Spiders and Terrible Feelings. I'm not terribly familiar with Imperial Teen, except in name and FFFFest research, but they were pretty good indie pop. I was against the stage for Superchunk, who I'm fairly rabid about, and were predictably great. After Jon Wurster came out from behind the drum kit (and Mac played drums) and sang a bit of Black Flag's "My War", I grabbed the setlist and headed inside for the Mind Spiders. The Mind Spiders really impressed me with their set, but I bailed shortly into the Terrible Feelings set.

Friday morning, as I was walking the 15 blocks to Auditorium Shores, Bob Mould was walking the other way. I complimented him on his ACL and he stopped and introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Bob." He didn't seem really happy with his set the night before, but loved Austin and God, did he love his coffee. Seriously, that must have been some fucking amazing coffee.

Tia Carrera, FIDLAR, Kvelertak and Dwarves were all solid, Dum Dum Girls were kinda boring, but sounded okay. Really enjoyed Torche, the air movement from the monitor was blowing my clothes a bit. Jon Benjamin was funny, just his voice makes me laugh. Bob Mould played a pretty great set, the last of the Copper Blue beginning to end shows, with a few other gems throw in. He played some Husker Du both shows. Missed Converge unfortunately, but Tomahawk, Superchunk, Against Me! and X were all very strong. Mike Patton is an awesome frontman, yikes.

Back to the Mohawk for an energetic Seaweed set, and then Surfer Blood. I enjoyed them more the last time I saw them, but that's not to say they weren't really good. They played three new songs and told me the new full length will be in February. Grabbed another set list. I wandered over to Elysium and caught Regents, all DC/Dischord Records type dudes and music, which I love. Then I stayed for a few Braid songs, people are pretty into them. Food trucks open at 2 in the morning is an amazing thing. Also, HOLY SHIT IT'S STILL ONLY FRIDAY.

Red Fang rules and were my first set Saturday. Man, they were great and I'd love to see them in a club. The Spits, The Riverboat Gamblers and OFF! were exactly as I expected and pretty enjoyable. I went to campout for NoMeansNo and saw the end of the Disappears set, which was okay. NoMeansNo, I would guess, are older than anyone else that played the festival and had as much energy and and seemed to be having a better time than anyone else. They are INSANELY tight and might have been my favorite set of the weekend (and have the setlist). The Sword was okay and Refused had maybe the best outdoor festival sound I have ever heard. Sounded truly amazing, but I had also drank at least 12 beers and had some other chemical reactions going on.

Walked to Red 7 for Broncho and Turf War, meh. Then to the Parish for Liturgy and Black Tusk. I knew I didn't like Liturgy vocals, but it turns out I don't like anything about them. They really, really are not for me. Drum machine with two dudes strumming the same chord hyperfast. It goes nowhere, fast. I'm partial to the Savannah boys, but Black Tusk put on another of my favorites sets of the weekend. Just having a blast on stage while playing really fun, really sludgy metal. Probably a better set than I ever saw them play in their home venue. Food trucks, hotel.

I really don't know what the hell I did Sunday morning, must have wandered around alot because I don't remember seeing anyone before Valient Thorr, which I mostly saw from the front of the other stage waiting for Japandroids. Japandroids were really good, people were definitely into it. I left halfway through to see Deerhoof or the Briefs, but somehow ended up watch Doug Benson, who was pretty damn hilarious. Titus Andronicus came on next and took a while to setup, so I caught 3-4 songs before bailing. Titus was really strong, and I like the records, and I'll bet the set got even better further in, but I opted for The Promise Ring, a guilty pleasure for me. It was a bad decision, I think, but I don't regret it. Davey Von Bohlen isn't a "singer" in the traditional sense and it really shows live. The lighting was cool, though, and I got some good shots. I figured I will never see them again and Titus is just kinda starting their arc, so hopefully I'll catch them again.

I love Lagwagon (no apologies) and got a spot against the rail and enjoyed their set a lot. About 3/4 of the way through, I pulled the best move of my festival going career, leaving the right hand rail of Lagwagon, circling the entire crowd and getting a spot on the left hand rail for Fucked Up. It was a great set, with Damian predictably in the crowd most of the time, climbing over me and barking his lines while the band riffs away. I asked Sandy for a set list, and the drummer grabbed one, jumped down, gave it to me and high fived and thanked me? Awesome. There were a ton of Turbojugend at the festival and they jammed the place for Turbonegro. They seemed okay, but my wad was blown. A little bit of Black Moth Superrainbow and then to bed.

This festival was a fucking blast. The lineup was very much my taste, sets started on time (except, as TomAZ said, for a while, the black stage was running early?), the skating/biking halfpipe and jumps were very entertaining for down time, as was the backyard wrestling. Food trucks at the venue were pretty awesome and there were a bunch of cool vendors to check out. PIP/VIP value is questionable, as the catering wasn't great and people bitched about the bathrooms, which I didn't have a problem with. PIP viewing platforms were entirely too far away. The sun was blasting, which can apparently go either way at this time of year and if you go to this, EXPECT DUST. It will be a decision next year whether to do FFFFest again or give ATP another chance. I took over 1200 photos in Austin, I'll post a link after sorting.

Got back to Savannah, asked the first cop I saw about my truck and she drove me directly to it and jumped it, I got out of the lot way faster than if my battery hadn't died. Kickass.
    Last edited by fastmusicfan; 11-06-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Really, really awesome write ups, guys! I have absolutely no doubts in my mind about finally making the trek out to Austin to do this in 2013.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Fuck Mind Spider were at FUN FUN FUN FEST too.I really like them.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I spent all day Saturday and Sunday at the black stage. Had a blast. Only aftershow I went to was
    Liturgy/Black Tusk. I love what Liturgy is doing right now. They were also one of my favorite sets on Sunday.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Titus Andronicus, set of the weekend.

Titus was easily my favorite set of the weekend. So great. One of my favorite bands and one of my most anticipated for the fest, and they still passed my expectations. Second was Refused. Hard to pick a third, but The Sword really blew me away (granted I was to the side at the Refused stage holding my spot). Black Lips thing was kind of awful but I think its cool that I might be in a movie, so eh, whatever. Run DMC was a lot of fun but they seemed to end so abruptly and anti-climatically, that kinda soured my opinion of the set a bit. Fang Island wasn't quite as good live as on record but I still had fun with them. Sound or mixing or something seemed off though. Valient Thorr was a lot of fun, and Japandroids were pretty good though the vocals were a bit too quiet (probably because everyone around me was singing along loudly, to the point that it was hard to hear the actual singer). Was dead center and one person back for Titus. They blew me away as mentioned above. Kind of wish I would have stuck around and kept that spot for Trail of the Dead, but I was very very tired and needed a drink. Watched Araabmuzik who was pretty good, then watched the beginning of Explosions in the Sky before heading to De La Soul for a bit (I've already seen EitS twice anyway). They had good stage presence and seemed fun, but they were complaining too much and taking too many pauses and too stuff. Being divas basically. Then went and saw a song from Fucked Up which was awesome, kinda wish I had seen them but I was nearly dead by that point and wasn't sure if i could deal with another rowdy pit, and I've already seen them too. Left before Turbonegro because we had to make a 4-5 hour drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I went to go see Off! and caught the second half of the set by someone called The Riverboat Gamblers, who I had never heard of. They play a sort of springsteen-tinged punk, Gaslight Anthem-cum-Social Distortion. They were worth 15 minutes of my life.
    This band gets my "band ive never heard before that was awesome" award for the fest. Decided to just check out the black stage because I was in an energetic mood, and had a ton of fun with their set.

All these images are straight out of the camera, no post work yet. Some of them are decent, I think. My camera has no zoom and fits in my pocket. The first set is mostly bands, the second, other activities and just photos I liked. (I think they should be viewable (facebook), right?)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7411731&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7411731&type=3

More pictures, better format. Some other music/concert/festival stuff thrown in so keep scrolling.
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/nophotobadge

Early bird tix now on sale for 2013 - just bought mine
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5-14 - Kvelertak @ St Vitus
    5-16 - Elbow & John Grant @ Webster Hall
    5-23 - Sheer Terror @ Brooklyn Night Bazaar

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Thanks for the heads up! PURCHASED. Definitely going.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Ugh!!! I defintely want to check this festival out.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Got so busy teaching, I fucking forgot. FUCK! Only 126 too.

i'm calling it now: Black Flag headlining the black stage.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

I'll take the Keith Morris version called "Flag" instead.

Keith is a preachy motherfucker in concert though.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I'll take the Keith Morris version called "Flag" instead.
    Fake flag fan. I'd much rather see Greg Ginn playing his songs than the guitarist from the Descendents trying to replicate that white fire. Black Flag was never about the bass player or the drummer: it was all guitars and vocals, and Ron Reyes was nearly as good as Keith. And he only co-wrote two songs, one of which he then stole away for the Circle Jerks. Real Black Flag is exciting, even if the new album is a total flop: Flag is a nostalgia act.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

http://www.kutnews.org/post/turf-imp...um-shores-year

Any idea where it would move to? Would it be cancelled? I literally just bought plane tickets to this...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It used to be held at Waterloo Park when it was a smaller festival. I suppose it could move back there.

Is Zilker Park an option or does C3 have that place locked down or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Fake flag fan. I'd much rather see Greg Ginn playing his songs than the guitarist from the Descendents trying to replicate that white fire. Black Flag was never about the bass player or the drummer: it was all guitars and vocals, and Ron Reyes was nearly as good as Keith. And he only co-wrote two songs, one of which he then stole away for the Circle Jerks. Real Black Flag is exciting, even if the new album is a total flop: Flag is a nostalgia act.
    This. Why the fuck would you want to watch any incarnation of Black Flag that didn't include Greg Ginn.

Quote Originally Posted by thekube View Post
    It used to be held at Waterloo Park when it was a smaller festival. I suppose it could move back there.
    Waterloo park is closed until 2015.

Interesting that C3 is funding this.. are they trying to kill FFF?

I don't see why they would want to kill it. ACL is two weekends this year and it'll most likely sell out. It's not like FFF takes money from them.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 10 - Bonobo
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I don't see why they would want to kill it. ACL is two weekends this year and it'll most likely sell out. It's not like FFF takes money from them.
    I agree I'm not sure it's hostile so much as 'not giving a shit.'

Though this news from 2 months ago is also interesting - especially combined with the latest news:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...of-fun-fun-fun

The 2013 edition of Austin's popular Fun Fun Fun Fest may get an even bigger pirate ship-shaped skate ramp: Stratus Properties, co-owners of Austin's ACL Live at the Moody Theater and the W Austin Hotel, have entered a strategic partnership with Transmission Events, owner of two popular local club venues and producers of the festival.

Held the first weekend in November, Fun Fun Fun has grown steadily in its first seven years, selling 15,000 tickets for its first night in 2012 compared to 12,000 the previous year. Two years ago, the fest moved from small downtown Waterloo Park to Auditorium Shores, hoping to expand over the next several years to fill most of the park's 30,000 capacity. While still dwarfed by the annual Austin City Limits festival's 75,000 visitors, Fun Fun Fun has gathered a die-hard fanbase with a mix of punk, hip-hop, rock and comedy acts, and by successfully reuniting veteran artists such as the Descendents and Run-D.M.C.
    I like Zilker Park where ACL is held as a best guess. The Austin Psych Fest spot is privately owned, I think.

I just hope it's not cancelled and maybe just as important they keep it small enough. I avoid 75k festivals. I love the past Fun Fun Fun fest lineups (which is why I blind purchased for this year), I don't need Skrillex, Coldplay and Iron Maiden headlining, thanks.

Zilker is probably the best alternative though they'd only need like half the piece ACL takes. But the nice thing about Auditorium Shores is you can walk there from your hotel; for Zilker that's a long walk. Auditorium Shores also has much more of an urban feel (even though they're only like a mile and a half apart).