Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Default Re: Fun Fun Fun Fest (ATX) 2012

Define blazing hot? Last year is was like 90 I think with lots of humidity. Anywhere downtown is basically fine as the venue is just right across the river from downtown.

Thanks, Man. 90 Degrees currently sounds fairly refreshing. Starting to really get excited for this, now I just have to make the money spending leap.

The hotels along I35 are going to be cheaper than downtown. Not walking distance, but you can easily get a cab. It's about $12 from downtown to Oltorf and I35 to give you an idea of cab fares and ranges. But if money isn't too big an issue then get something downtown.

All info is appreciated. Thanks. Downtown and Priceline is what I'm thinking currently.

Check out the thread from last year as well as the SXSW thread. There's a lot of posts on places to eat and things to do.

Also don't forget to party at the moontower, http://damox.com/entertainment/dazed...fused/misc.htm

Cool, I'll check all of that out. I've been to Austin once for ACL fest (got to go to the Band of Horses ACL taping, it was amazing) but this time should be more my speed. I'm getting excited.

Unless they get some ground cover down at Auditorium shores this is going to be a dust bowl.

One condition of ACL being able to do two weekends now is that they have to dump some money into Auditorium Shores. It'll be interesting to see wether or not they do any work there before FFF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Is it safe to assume that Baroness might not make it?
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes. If you guys didn't see this yet, Baroness posted the current conditions from the accident on Facebook. I mean, they COULD be ready to play by November, but they've got a lot of recovering to do.

The band members of Baroness and their crew are recovering from injuries sustained after their tour bus crashed outside of Bath, England early on Wednesday morning.

John Baizley has broken his left arm and left leg. Allen Blickle and Matt Maggioni each suffered fractured vertebrae. All three remain in the hospital as of this writing. Pete Adams has been treated and released from the hospital.

Three of the five crew members who were on the bus have also been treated and released. One member is still undergoing testing. The driver of the bus remains in critical condition.

Please stay tuned for further updates. Thank you for all the support during this extremely difficult time.
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

"Fractured vertebrae"??? Good lord. And that bus photo was scary as hell.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

This is such a fucking bummer, their last album was really solid and was looking forward to seeing some of it live. Wish them a speedy recovery.
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Holy fuck, this just got waaay better. A Place To Bury Strangers & Nachtmystium interest me most among adds.

Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 08-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.

That's awesome. What, exactly, is the deal with the FFF Nights? Just club shows after Festival hours, pretty much? Are they scheduled and announced before hand or is it a stumble upon them kinda thing (doubtful)? Are they impossible to get into the more popular ones? Etc.?

Also, some of these artists don't seem to be playing the festival? Imperial Teen, Black Tusk, Fight Amp, Scott Reynolds jumped out at me right away, there's probably a bunch more. Is this par for the course?

Quote Originally Posted by fastmusicfan View Post
    Also, some of these artists don't seem to be playing the festival? Imperial Teen, Black Tusk, Fight Amp, Scott Reynolds jumped out at me right away, there's probably a bunch more. Is this par for the course?
    Some of those acts you mentioned may be adds to the lineup. They usually have some late additions. Last year they had Spoon and Black Lips among others. Looking very much forward to seeing Imperial Teen and Superchunk aftershows.

Me, too. And add Surfer Blood and Braid to my list. Probably worth adding any bands from the Fest and Nights to my twitter feed for potential "suprise shows". Fucked Up/Off!/Lagwagon/Torche/NoMeansNo please.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

the best thing is that all of those shows are free if you have a wristband.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

Is Austin a "late" town? As in, do bars have to stop serving at 2am or something?

It's 2am.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    the best thing is that all of those shows are free if you have a wristband.
    It's also the only way to get into the shows I believe. Looking forward to the A Place To Bury Strangers, Nachtmystium, Surfer Blood, Damien Jurado and Ceremony aftershows.

They released the schedule today. I think they did a pretty good job. Fucked Up > Turbonegro is gonna be a blast.

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

I agree. But for the sake of conversation (I'm coming from the ATP forum that is on page 55 now, and this is a very very slow year), here are my nitpicky conflicts: Tomahawk/Superchunk/Against Me! (I'd throw Earth in there too, but I saw them at ATP last year), Wavves/NoMeansNo, Surfer Blood/Off! (though I just saw OFF! last month), and to do Japandroids>Deerhoof>Titus Andronicu>The Promise Ring is going to take some hustling. Generally, Sunday is about perfect for me.

Oh, and the Friday "nites" thing- Surfer Blood/Lucero/Fight Amp/Deathfix/Scott Reynolds. Thursday night Imperial Teen>Superchunk makes me want to fly in Thursday. Bad.

Do they usually release the schedule for this so far in advance? it's awesome they do, but leaves themselves open for a lot of changes.
    last.fm

It came out about this time last year. The only real changes I recall were when bands canceled or late adds like Spoon.

There's not too many conflicts for me. Mostly because I just saw a lot of these bands at FYF or they are coming through PHX before FFF. But this is going to save me cash from individual shows.

The SPITS!

By the way, are we thinking.......................................... ...............HOLOGRAM JAMMASTER JAY!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Jam Master Jay hologram?!
    It was mentioned, yes.
    last.fm

I love how early they release the schedule.

Looking at the FFF Nites, I would be racing over to The Mohawk Outdoor each night and then to either the Elysium or Red 7 after that (if I were going to FFF and/or still awake). We were so beat each night after FYF that we just drank at the hotel bar with other FYFers.

Non-original thought aside, I think I saw the Tupac hologram company went belly up. I have high hopes for Nites, but the reality is probably closer to passing out at the hotel. The Irish Blend Monster energy drink is delicious and effective, though, so we'll see.

Are most (or any) of the Nites venues within reasonable walking distance of the Festival? Is renting a bike a non ridiculous option?