Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Minnesota Festival Without A Name Let's Call It Harriet

Default Rivers Edge - A New Minnesota Festival

California-based concert promoter Live Nation announced an agreement with the city of St. Paul on Thursday that calls for the company to produce a multi-day festival on Harriet Island each summer for the next five years.

The idea is to create a destination event similar to Lollapalooza, which has taken place each summer since 2005 in Chicago's Grant Park, or Tennessee's Bonnaroo Music Festival, which celebrated its 10th anniversary in June.
    St Paul paper
    Mpls paper

This is huge for the city of St. Paul, which in the past has often played second fiddle to Minneapolis. Harriet Island is not technically an island but is a city park immediately across the river from DT St. Paul and is a beautiful location. There is an actual island (Navy Island) included in the park, which will be a great spot for a separate stage.

Last edited by Stickjohn; 04-10-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: added name to title

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: A New Minnesota Festival Without A Name Let's Call It Harriet

June 23-24.

if bonnaroo's lineup sucks, maybe i'll come up there are meet Creep and the rest of the creeps.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Could have a country format though

could have a canadian format
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Are the people in St Paul less douchy than the people in Chicago? My immediate reaction to any festival within a city limit is that there will probably be too many looky-loo douches to make it tolerable.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

They should just have it in the Mall of America.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Are the people in St Paul less douchy than the people in Chicago? My immediate reaction to any festival within a city limit is that there will probably be too many looky-loo douches to make it tolerable.
    A lot less. Ever hear the term Minnesota nice?

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I would like to visit Minnesota. But watch, this will probably all country. Or Nickelback will headline. Or something like that.

what up, detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I would like to visit Minnesota. But watch, this will probably all country. Or Nickelback will headline. Or something like that.
    Minnesota can do better than that. There's a lot of good music there and if they're comparing it to a smaller Lolla then I am sure it will feature a little bit of everything
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    what up, detroit.
    I have 2 good friends that are moving from Minneapolis to Lansing in 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Minnesota can do better than that. There's a lot of good music there and if they're comparing it to a smaller Lolla then I am sure it will feature a little bit of everything
    Did you read the articles? It says:

"I know they've been looking at a couple of different formats," said Joe Spencer, Coleman's director of arts and culture. "It could be a rock festival or a country format."

downgrade. unless you're a sexual predator. then i'd imagine it's a lateral move.

Eh, skimmed some shit. My bad. Good to hear First Ave is putting something on and having Somerset Amphithreater do a fest or 2 is a plus as well. Both great spots

Eventhough they're considering a country format, i'd doubt they'd go that route. Minnesota has a big country fest already (like almost as big as stagecoach) called Wefest.

What I am wondering, since Live Nation is hyping Bamboozle. Is if it might unfortunately be something similar to that (Bon Jovi). Also, that might coincide with the very popular Rock the Garden concert that's usually held the 3rd weekend in June in Minneapolis.

But a lot of people from the Twin Cities make the commute to Chicago for Lolla, Pitchfork, North Coast, etc. So if the lineups are similar, it should coax some people to stay home.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Eh, skimmed some shit. My bad. Good to hear First Ave is putting something on and having Somerset Amphithreater do a fest or 2 is a plus as well. Both great spots
    Very curious to see the size/scope of the 1st Ave fest. They no longer have any dealings with Ticketmaster or Live Nation, but it hasn't seemed to hurt their ability to book artists at all.

I heard Somerset got a much needed makeover? Hopefully?
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    It's worse, tons of hipsters that think they're funny constantly giving commentary. This is going to kill what little potential Soundtown had. Also as much as I love Harriet Island, this will be a clusterfuck and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...135751908.html

Kinda the usual suspects but I could go for most of those big names
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's worse, tons of hipsters that think they're funny constantly giving commentary. This is going to kill what little potential Soundtown had. Also as much as I love Harriet Island, this will be a clusterfuck and a half.
    I think Soundtown will be one of the Somerset fests mentioned.

We can be bad, but I remember while trying to watch Radiohead at Lolla 08 all the people having conversations around me not giving a fuck that Radiohead was playing. I was kinda annoyed by that. We really that bad ourselves Mr Stink?
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

No whenever I want to talk I go to the bar, but it is a pretty consistent annoyance for me
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Why would anyone want to move here unless it's for school?
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Ass-ton of Michigan St alums in the Twin Cities.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...144966165.html

Rumored headliners are Dave Matthews and Tool. Would make sense, DMB doesn't have a Minneapolis date on their current summer tour plans
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Does Tool's '98 performance in Somerset at Ozzfest count as a city's outdoor date?

Fuck yes, Ill take some Tool!
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Concert news: Harriet Island music festival will have Dave Matthews Band and Tool

The Dave Matthews Band and Tool will headline River's Edge Music Festival, the new outdoor music festival planned June 23 and 24 on Harriet Island in downtown St. Paul.

Two-day tickets are $99 through April 20 and will go on sale at at 10 a.m. April 13 through Ticketmaster. Representatives from the City of St. Paul and concert promoters Live Nation revealed the details in an afternoon press conference Thursday, April 5, after nearly four months of silence that followed the announcement of the festival itself.

Live Nation is aiming for a crowd in the 40,000 to 50,000 range for the festival, which is meant to become an annual event. The festival will feature more than 30 acts in addition to the headliners, including the Flaming Lips, Brand New, Polica, Motion City Soundtrack, Puscifer, Coheed & Cambria, Diplo, Scissor Sisters, Datsik, MuteMath, Delta Spirit, Blaqstarr, Kinky, Mexican Institute of Sound, Civil Twilight and Quietdrive.

The headliners both emerged in the '90s and have since become major players in the industry.

Singer/guitarist/South Africa native Dave Matthews formed his band in Virginia more than 20 years ago, when he was just another bartender with big dreams. He hand-picked players from the local jazz scene and, by 1993, had amassed a strong regional following. That led to a major-label deal and a series of hit singles, including "What Would You Say," "Crash into Me," "Crush" and "The Space Between."

But the group's biggest success has come on the road, where their improv-heavy shows are now a coming-of-age tradition. The Dave Matthews Band sold more concert tickets than any other musical act from 2000 to 2009, some 11 million total for a gross of more than a half-billion dollars. Given the band's wide appeal, they tend to play more festivals and outdoor amphitheaters than indoor arenas. That said, they drew more than 17,000 to the Xcel Energy Center in September 2010 and a similar number to the Target Center in November 2005.

Los Angeles art-metal act Tool are a much more enigmatic group, preferring to promote themselves through complex songs and inventive concert staging rather than more traditional, personality-based methods. Vocalist Maynard James Keenan has only started to make substantial public appearances in recent years, surprising fans by starring in 2010's "Blood Into Wine," a documentary about his side business in winemaking. During Tool concerts, Keenan still tends to spend most of the show singing from the back of the stage, hiding in darkness rather than hogging the spotlight.

In 20 years, Tool has issued just four studio albums, which have sold more than 10 million copies combined. The band's most recent local tour stop attracted about 13,000 fans to the Xcel Energy Center in July 2010, despite the fact Tool's last new music to date was released back in 2006.

For more info, go to riversedgemusicfestival.com.
    http://www.twincities.com/ci_2033355...ival-will-have
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I'm gonna go. I wouldn't travel 8 hours for it but I can justify 2.5 hours at 99 bucks

3h for 99 bucks for me.... Very much worth it, just to see Tool. I wonder if Puscifer will be on the same day as Tool...and if there will be single day tickets. Datsik/Diplo? Is there gonna be a electronic tent or more names or something?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I'm guessing no electronic music this year - another article says
    Representatives of Live Nation -- the Los Angeles-based global behemoth -- also revealed plans for an even more ambitious River's Edge next year featuring a second weekend of country music, a third day of rock, plus an electronic dance offshoot. The company signed a five-year minimum contract with the city to produce the festivals.

This lineup blows, none the less I will be there. For those traveling, expect a clusterfuck at the park