Thread: What and where are the best dance/electronica clubs in...

Default What and where are the best dance/electronica clubs in...

1. LA
    2. San Fransisco
    3. San Diego

Preferably Drum and Bass or Trance but all things considered.
    Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future and he inherits his own past.
    Frederick Henry Hedge

Default Re: What and where are the best dance/electronica clubs in...

If you mean large commercial type clubs I would say:

LA - The Vanguard, Avalon (Hollywood)
    San Diego - Belo (Downtown - gaslamp district)

Mostly trance down here....
    "There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way" - Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Originally Posted by MsTekno View Post
    If you mean large commercial type clubs I would say:

LA - The Vanguard, Avalon (Hollywood)
    San Diego - Belo (Downtown - gaslamp district)

Mostly trance down here....
    not neccesarily large commerical clubs, if there's small underground dance clubs that would be awesome to find out about. Thanks for the 2 you've already listed
    Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future and he inherits his own past.
    Frederick Henry Hedge

San Diego- Kava Lounge, The Honey Beehive

they're both pretty small.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird404 View Post
    I want to go but fuck, thats a lot of money...

Cool, cheers Cali.

Anyone know anywhere in San Fransisco?
    Frederick Henry Hedge

SF - The Independant, Popscene and Mezzanine come to mind. Cool vibe good music.

Wicked thanks everyone, if anyone thinks of any more, large or small, please post them.
    Frederick Henry Hedge

in L.A.
    Vanguard- DnB on Wednesdays by Bassrush.... greaaat sound system
    Saturdays, they usually feature a big name DJ. http://www.insomniacevents.com/

Avalon- by Spundae. This is also a mega club. here is their myspace

Red @ the Arena is more laid back.. has more of that 'rave' vibe.. as close as you can get to a rave vibe at a club anyway... here is their myspace

if you're into raves, check out ravelinks.com

xo

Cheers that's AWESOME pinkibone!
    Keep em coming people if you know anywhere cool
    Frederick Henry Hedge

LA

Vanguard - I've been to this place like 56908456 times (been going since it was the Q-Topia opened).. Wednesdays are Sick, They always have good Drum N Bass, Saturdays is Giant which is mostly Trance/House and on Sunday's it's Deep House. Big Smoking Patio and best sound system (funktion one sound) in any club I've been too. http://www.vanguardla.com/vanguard.php?

Avalon - This club is alright, They play Trance/House (at Spundae) on Saturday Nights and have some good Headliners.http://www.avalonhollywood.com/

Circus Disco - This place is really cool, I think it's a gay club during the week, but on Saturday nights they have House and Trance (used to be Spundae). This is by far the biggest club i've been to in LA, it's seriously fucking huge, they don't end up like using half of it, and it's really nice. They have a little mexican food place where you can get some bomb carne asada burritos, and alcohol is a buck or two cheaper than the ones listed above. Security is also really cool here, If you are too drunk, they let you "chill" outside for a bit and don't kick you out. http://www.circusdisco.com/

Arena - This place is seriously right next to Circus Disco, and I'm pretty sure they are owned by the same people. Drinks here are a bit cheaper as well. It's OK, they have some cool lighting effects in there, and an upstairs smoking patio, but it's too small for me, when I go outside it's for fresh air, not to smoke, I think Vanguard and Circus have the best smoking area's. http://www.circusdisco.com/

Also, there is club Respect at the Larchmont, I've never been there, but they have Drum N Bass on Thursday nights, I've only heard good things.. It's not as much a "super" club as the others ones. http://www.respectdrumandbass.com/

Overall, I like Circus and The Vanguard the best.

San Francisco

- Never been to a club up there, but I hear Ruby Skye is really good.

San Diego

Belo - This is the only club I've been to in San Diego, It's really cool, and is basically underground (literally not like it's word of mouth). The bar area looks really cool and you get In's and Out's! Drinks are expensive, this place is VERY retro looking and have some cool VIP area's, but I'm not VIP so it doesn't matter This club is kind of more "clubby" than the other ones and have a lot of people that go to hit on other people who don't really care about the music as much either though. http://www.belosandiego.com/
    Last edited by instinct; 03-20-2007 at 02:32 AM.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I will give it up for the fuck'n Vanguard, they turned that place around since the Q days. Large rooftop smoking patio + kick ass lights/sound + Cool security/staff/attendees + Giant buddha = great venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Fro View Post
    I will give it up for the fuck'n Vanguard, they turned that place around since the Q days. Large rooftop smoking patio + kick ass lights/sound + Cool security/staff/attendees + Giant buddha = great venue.
    agreed.. the only thing I miss is the graffiti on the walls/everywhere.. they had some sick pieces, but it would def not go with the new theme.. A Security Guard was recently shot and killed there It was one of the cooler ones too. It went from all ages, to 18+, to 21+. It kind of sucks, because I have a friend who is really into DNB who is not 21 yet though.. Drinks are overpriced as with any club.. but it's too ridiculous, i hardly ever buy drinks there.

Another club I might as well mention, is Focus Tuesdays. It's in Orange County (Newport Beach) and it's a smaller house music club (18+).. It is most def cool.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

LOL.. and watch out for old asian rolling people at Circus, Avalon and especially the Arena...

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Dudes thank you for making my USA trip an infinitely better experience
    Frederick Henry Hedge

Lurker

San Francisco -- Mezzanine, Ruby Skye, and 1015 Folsom usually has the big name touring DJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by ricoswuave View Post
    San Francisco -- Mezzanine, Ruby Skye, and 1015 Folsom usually has the big name touring DJ's.
    you totally bit off my last name.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

if u looking 4 dnb, check out www.junglescene.com

u can find out exactly wats goin on exactly when u'll b here on their calendar, spans from la to diego and beyond

funktion @ vanguard hardly fails (sound is caraaazaay!) respect on thurs @larchmont is 18+ if u rollin w younlings

i know nothing of trance places...but 4 dnb, junglescene is all the source u need, everyone posts their parties on there, large n small

have a good time wish i could come out n party too...f'in nursing school

LOS ANGELES:

Sundays: DEEP (the party, not the club) @ The Vanguard. Great House DJ's, amazing soundsystem.

Wednesdays: Therapy @ Tokio. (on Cahuenga in Hollywood) Eclectic House (disco, dub, chunky, funky, deep, dark, tech, soulful). cool intimate spot...not commercial and cheesy at all. Scott K. is resident DJ plus special guests. AND IT'S FREE ALL NIGHT.