Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 56575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 1834

Thread: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Default Re: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Godammit. I was wanting to go to one of these (in the U.S.) for the first time this year. This was going to be my 'big' festival for the year.

Maybe it's not too late to go to Coachella.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Bring back ATP Los Angeles
    This

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Godammit. I was wanting to go to one of these (in the U.S.) for the first time this year. This was going to be my 'big' festival for the year.

just go to Psych fest it's way cheaper than both and has a lineup ATP wishes it could've had the past couple years. also capacity is probably not that much bigger than ATP is
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

old school

I had an amazing experience at both ATP Long Beach 04 and Asbury in 11. I think its going to be a down year for acts of ATP stature touring. They probably don't wanna put their name on something and half ass it again like last year.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    just go to Psych fest it's way cheaper than both and has a lineup ATP wishes it could've had the past couple years. also capacity is probably not that much bigger than ATP is
    In the psych fest thread new capacity is stated at 8k. ATP was around 3k so it's nearly triple. Also while I like the psych fest lineup you're wrong to say it's comparable/superior to an ATP lineup which looking at both will handily prove. Though it is considerably cheaper.

Bummer about no ATP this year. But I doubt they are permanently out of the USA. My 1 festival this year I think is FFF fest.

Psych fest never sells out. I'll be surprised if there's more than 4k this year.

EDIT* I believe the capacity hasn't been more than 2k in previous years...
    Last edited by Gribbz; 02-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by assorted View Post
    you're wrong to say it's comparable/superior to an ATP lineup
    a lot of the bands playing this year have played ATP events

sorry for the derail RIP ATPUSA

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Not enough bands I'm excited about to get me down there.

Fun Fun Fest might be a possibility for fall, however.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post

Wait for Pitchfork to add to their line up.

Gotta agree with you on that one. There may be no grilled cheese with tomato and bacon to go along with it or bowling alley boogie, but it'll probably be our ATP replacement for this year.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Yea, I already have a pass for that, so I'm excited to see who else is gonna be there.

Bring back ATP Los Angeles
    nononononononononononononononononononononono

LA gets fucking everything, CA has about 20k fests a year. Let's not ruin this one with LA people. (Not that the prospect of NYC fests excites me either).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

ATP:Ohama does sound fun with all the corn fields,Shellac at the old farm and moonshine.

Trentemoller @ Mezzanine 04/06/14
    The Knife @ The Fox 04/15/14
    Factory Floor @ The Independent 04/16/14
    The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's 04/17/14
    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

I always thought one of the best places would be where they used to do 10k lakes. There is a swimming lake, 2 old barns that they had shows in, and the scenery and weather is great. Although the rain can be unpredictable
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 02-11-2013 at 06:21 AM.

BV mention and separate FB entry on the topic - http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...be_your_2.html
    Not to be optimistic in any way, but I will simply note that this answer is also restricted to NYC and not USA

All Tomorrow’s Parties won’t be partying in the United States anytime soon. The boutique British festivals brand first made an impression in the U.S. back in 2002 and staged a show as recently as September 2012 with its sister I’ll Be Your Mirror event, which was held in New York.

However, ATP founder Barry Hogan is keen to keep U.S. plans on ice a little longer.

“The market is quite soft there at the moment. It doesn’t seem to be (firing),” he tells Billboard.biz. “I find it to be an uphill struggle.”

Billboard.biz caught up with Hogan while he visited Australia this past weekend to stage I’ll Be Your Mirror’s inaugural two-day event in Melbourne. The outdoor show featured the likes of reunited British shoegazers My Bloody Valentine and German industrial pioneers Einstürzende Neubauten, and was a sell-out, according to organizers. ATP staged a three-leg tour of Australia in early 2009, but it wasn't a money-spinner and the show hadn’t returned here since.

Hogan last year sold 50% of his company to Britain’s live empire MAMA Group, and now the promoter has his sights set on establishing ATP and I’ll Be Your Mirror – a curated live show which doesn’t have a camping element -- in a handful of new markets.

“We’re thinking we might just leave America for a while and wait for things to get a little better returning there," Hogan notes. "And to be honest, we’ve done so many events there. There are so many other exciting places in the world to do things that in NYC. I’d rather look at South America and Europe, to be honest. Or more things in Australia.”
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-not-to-the-us

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Well, that's too bad.

Major disappointment. Europe has plenty enough amazing festivals as it is. We're overstuffed with fests too but all of them tend to blur together in a haze of mediocrity excepting a very select few. But I doubt ATP will ever be a real money maker here without selling out on its ideals and making the fest a less special experience. I'm glad to have gotten to go to one at least.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I honestly feel like this leaves a gap in the market space that's prime for some enterprising young person to take advantage of.

ATP has an unnecessarily high cost structure for its US festivals because:
    1) It flies in a bunch of staff from the UK
    2) It has limited relationships with US companies for possible sponsorship
    3) it has limited relationships with US companies for supplying equipment, additional staffing needs, etc.

I bet some start-up could take their general methodology and do it better, and cheaper.

Sad, but reasonable. I look forward to the return, and I'll just have to attend UK ones in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I honestly feel like this leaves a gap in the market space that's prime for some enterprising young person to take advantage of.

3) it has limited relationships with US companies for supplying equipment, additional staffing needs, etc.

I bet some start-up could take their general methodology and do it better, and cheaper.
    If someone has the infinite funds, I'll gladly lend my booking prowess...
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I'll ticket it

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

I kinda like playing "if I was throwing an ATP-style music festival.' I think their biggest mistake was not finding a space like the one they have in the UK. It's simple there - sell all the rooms - you have your festival costs covered and can profit from alcohol sales. In the UK (Camber Sands) they have a capacity of 5500. So what is a similar space in the US we can own during an off-season? Like the UK, make it simple - festival ticket(s) = room + ticket(s). No reliance on people not having lodging but buying festival tickets. I never attended Kutshers because the hotel was always sold out. Who wants to travel up and back from NYC, or stay in a shitty super 8 15 miles away? ATP banked on a thousand or so people wanting to do that in order to make a profit - which was a flawed strategy from the get go.

Doing a little Saturday afternoon googling I already found this place - http://www.fernwoodresortpoconos.com/ -- 800+ rooms ranging from studios to 2 bedrooms. Almost exactly the Camber Sands setup (and according to TripAdvisor is also run down, making them a good candidate for buying out for a weekend). Their off season looks to be spring/fall. I think the pacific northwest also maybe has beach towns with extensive off seasons? Though the trick is finding one with 800+ rooms.

So yeah I'd say first find a suitable place like that willing to do business with you. I think obsessing about what city it is near doesn't matter as much as having a place that can house the capacity of the festival. If it's a 3 day festival with lodging most people are willing to travel for that. Next partner with someone that can book such things - find a band that can draw 6k to curate/headline (COUGH NOT JIM JARMUSCH), and then crowdfund (now that you have the location/headliner) the first one through kickstarter; offering something extra to people that buy in early.

My fantasy vote? Get Tom Waits. If one found/setup some dusty old, resort complex with Tom Waits headling/curating - I (and many others) would probably climb a mountain to get to it.
    Last edited by assorted; 02-23-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4-4 - Wussy @ Webster Hall
    4-7 - Thee Silver Mt Zion @ Bowery Ballroom
    4-9 - Thee Silver Mt Zion @ Union Pool
    4-27 - say hi @ Rough Trade
    5-9 - EMA @ Rough Trade
    5-16 - Elbow @ Webster Hall

I should get a passport already.

Quote Originally Posted by assorted View Post
    I kinda like playing "if I was throwing an ATP-style music festival.' I think their biggest mistake was not finding a space like the one they have in the UK. It's simple there - sell all the rooms - you have your festival costs covered and can profit from alcohol sales. In the UK (Camber Sands) they have a capacity of 5500. So what is a similar space in the US we can own during an off-season? Like the UK, make it simple - festival ticket(s) = room + ticket(s). No reliance on people not having lodging but buying festival tickets. I never attended Kutshers because the hotel was always sold out. Who wants to travel up and back from NYC, or stay in a shitty super 8 15 miles away? ATP banked on a thousand or so people wanting to do that in order to make a profit - which was a flawed strategy from the get go.

Doing a little Saturday afternoon googling I already found this place - http://www.fernwoodresortpoconos.com/ -- 800+ rooms ranging from studios to 2 bedrooms. Almost exactly the Camber Sands setup (and according to TripAdvisor is also run down, making them a good candidate for buying out for a weekend). Their off season looks to be spring/fall. I think the pacific northwest also maybe has beach towns with extensive off seasons? Though the trick is finding one with 800+ rooms.

So yeah I'd say first find a suitable place like that willing to do business with you. I think obsessing about what city it is near doesn't matter as much as having a place that can house the capacity of the festival. If it's a 3 day festival with lodging most people are willing to travel for that. Next partner with someone that can book such things - find a band that can draw 6k to curate/headline (COUGH NOT JIM JARMUSCH), and then crowdfund (now that you have the location/headliner) the first one through kickstarter; offering something extra to people that buy in early.

My fantasy vote? Get Tom Waits. If one found/setup some dusty old, resort complex with Tom Waits headling/curating - I (and many others) would probably climb a mountain to get to it.
    I ran the loose numbers for fun once. I didn't find any feasible way to break even off a boutique resort festival.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I would sacrifice all of your first-borns for that brilliant Tom Waits idea above me.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

A few of us asked Jim Jarmusch if he had asked Waits. He said that he tried to get him to headline, but that "Tom is more stubborn than an old mule."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    I ran the loose numbers for fun once. I didn't find any feasible way to break even off a boutique resort festival.
    Interesting! But then if we assume the current Camber Sands weekends are breaking/even-making a profit (I think a safe assumption?), what is the difference between doing it in the UK & doing it here that a profit can't be made even if you sell out, say, a resort of similar rooms/capacity?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4-4 - Wussy @ Webster Hall
    4-7 - Thee Silver Mt Zion @ Bowery Ballroom
    4-9 - Thee Silver Mt Zion @ Union Pool
    4-27 - say hi @ Rough Trade
    5-9 - EMA @ Rough Trade
    5-16 - Elbow @ Webster Hall

I believe ATP's current capacity is significantly less than the 5500 at the former location.

I would love to do another music cruise.
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post

All Tomorrow’s Parties won’t be partying in the United States anytime soon. The boutique British festivals brand first made an impression in the U.S. back in 2002 and staged a show as recently as September 2012 with its sister I’ll Be Your Mirror event, which was held in New York.

However, ATP founder Barry Hogan is keen to keep U.S. plans on ice a little longer.

“The market is quite soft there at the moment. It doesn’t seem to be (firing),” he tells Billboard.biz. “I find it to be an uphill struggle.”

Billboard.biz caught up with Hogan while he visited Australia this past weekend to stage I’ll Be Your Mirror’s inaugural two-day event in Melbourne. The outdoor show featured the likes of reunited British shoegazers My Bloody Valentine and German industrial pioneers Einstürzende Neubauten, and was a sell-out, according to organizers. ATP staged a three-leg tour of Australia in early 2009, but it wasn't a money-spinner and the show hadn’t returned here since.

Hogan last year sold 50% of his company to Britain’s live empire MAMA Group, and now the promoter has his sights set on establishing ATP and I’ll Be Your Mirror – a curated live show which doesn’t have a camping element -- in a handful of new markets.

“We’re thinking we might just leave America for a while and wait for things to get a little better returning there," Hogan notes. "And to be honest, we’ve done so many events there. There are so many other exciting places in the world to do things that in NYC. I’d rather look at South America and Europe, to be honest. Or more things in Australia.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-not-to-the-us
    Well it's time for Iceland!!!

The World Famous ATP Music Festival series is proud to present:
    ALL TOMORROW'S PARTIES ICELAND

June 28 & 29 2013 at Ásbrú (Former Nato Base), Keflavík, Iceland

Line-Up To Be Announced 16th April -
    Early Bird Tickets Available Now via www.ATPFestival.com

Described as the "ultimate mix tape", All Tomorrow's Parties is a boutique festival that goes against the grain of the larger, more commercial music festivals - with quality and customer experience coming first - presenting award winning sound and acclaimed organisation.

Since 2000 it has spread its ethos of uniquely intimate and eclectic events through the UK and onwards to Spain, Australia, Japan and the USA. Now, after having for many years hosted the best of Icelandic musicians at events outside of their home, ATP are very proud to announce our first All Tomorrow's Parties festival in Iceland.

On June 28th and 29th, ATP will present a fantastic bill of live music combining the best of local and international talent at the former NATO base in Keflavík, which is now called Ásbrú.

The line-up will be announced on the 16th April.

ATP's Barry Hogan: "We are very excited to be bringing ATP to Iceland. ATP has a long standing and strong affinity with Icelandic music and the exciting line up of international and local acts we are bringing will ensure this is an event to remember. Iceland is a beautiful country and we are honoured to be working with a great local partner to create a unique event at the former Nato base in Keflavík."

Date: The festival takes place on two days - Friday 28th and Saturday 29th June, 2013. The music will run from 6pm to 2am each day (exact times subject to change) with around 20 acts set to play live across the two days.

Location: ATP Iceland will be held at Ásbrú, the former NATO base in Keflavík, Iceland. The former NATO base dates back to 1941 and the last US military personnel left in 2006. The site is located only 5 minutes away from Iceland's main international airport, 15 minutes from the famous Blue Lagoon and 30 minutes from Reykjavík. The festival site will host two indoor stages and a cinema with films picked by ATP and the bands, as well as the usual ATP extracurricular activities like DJs, Pop Quiz (hosted by Dr. Gunni - musician, music writer and host of pop quiz TV show Popppunktur for eight seasons) and much more. The capacity for the intimate festival is just 4000 people.

Ticket Types And Prices:

There are two types of ticket available - with or without accommodation - both types are on sale now from www.atpfestival.com at limited Early Bird Prices...

Type 1 - without accommodation:

A normal festival ticket which allows access to the event without accommodation. These are currently at the Early Bird price of 90.60 Euros + booking fee per person (full price will be 105 Euros).

Type 2 - with accommodation:

A festival ticket including apartment accommodation. These are a limited amount of festival tickets that include two nights accommodation in private apartments at the Bed And Breakfast Keflavík, a very short walk from the event. Each apartment has shared kitchen facilities with cooking/dining utensils included. Two apartments share one bathroom; which has either a shower or bath and of course a sink & toilet. Bedding is included. Check in for accommodation is from 12pm noon on Friday 28th June and checkout is by 12pm noon on Sunday 30th.

The 2 berth - Twin accommodation includes two festival passes and an apartment for two people for the Friday and Saturday nights. These rooms have two single beds. Early Bird price for 2 people: 400 EUR + booking fee including 2 festival tickets (full price will be 440 Euros).

Make sure to follow our special ATP Iceland social networks for future news & updates:

facebook.com/atpiceland / twitter.com/atpiceland / instagram.com/atpiceland

Transport:

From Keflavík International airport or from Keflavík itself:

The easiest option is to take a taxi. The festival site is a 5-minute drive away. A good taxi number in Keflavík is +354 420 12 12 - we would recommend pre-booking a taxi because otherwise there may be a wait.

From Reykjavík:

We recommend taking the FlyBus (https://www.flybus.is/flybus) from Reykjavík to Keflavík International Airport, and from there to take a taxi to the festival site. The buses leave from BSÍ, the central bus station.

There is limited on-site parking so please, if you are coming with three friends please all arrive in the same car- not four separate ones. Once the car park is full you will have to park elsewhere, so be prepared!

Other Details:

What else is there to do apart from the bands? Apart from nursing a hangover, there is the Blue Lagoon, a mere 15 minute drive away (this is not to be missed!), Cinema (with films picked by ATP and the bands), DJs, Book Club, Pop Quiz hosted by Dr. Gunni and of course the town of Keflavík where there are some very nice places to eat, pubs, museums to visit, shopping etc.

Bringing in food and drink from outside into the festival venues is not allowed; the venues will host their own excellent food and drink stalls. If you book tickets including accommodation, they will have shared kitchen facilities.

There is also a small shop onsite to buy essentials. Please note that no beer or other alcohol beverages are sold in convenience stores in Iceland.

All attendees must be aged 20 years or older.

Press Requests: Kamilla Ingibergsdóttir - email: tokamilla@gmail.com

More About All Tommorrow's Parties:

All Tomorrow's Parties has been promoting festivals and concerts throughout the world for almost fourteen years. It was founded in the wake of Belle and Sebastian’s Bowlie Weekender, with Mogwai curating in the unusual setting of Pontins Holiday Camp, Camber Sands, UK. Since then the festival has appeared every year and has expanded across the globe continuing to set itself apart from large scale corporate festivals by staying intimate and fan-friendly. The line-ups are often chosen by significant bands or artists which results in eclectic events that combine performances by legendary and influential acts with appearances by the latest crop of experimental artists from any (and every) musical genre. The festival has become more successful with every passing year, and ATP events have taken place in the UK, USA, Europe and Australia, with past curators including Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Mike Patton, My Bloody Valentine, Portishead, Sonic Youth, Slint, and Tortoise. In 2011 ATP launched a new series of curated city-based events called I'll Be Your Mirror, with events so far taking place in Tokyo, London, Asbury Park New Jersey, New York City and Melbourne. ATP has set itself apart from other festivals by embracing seemingly disparate artistic genres, with events featuring art exhibitions, cinema programmes, spoken word performances and stand up comedy. It's been called 'Unforgettable' by Spin and 'the most enjoyable festival experience of our reporter's life' by Pitchfork. It has spawned an acclaimed concert series (Don't Look Back), a record label (ATP Recordings), and the release of a feature length documentary.

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.