Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1899

Thread: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Default Re: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Tom Scharpling probably isn't the most reliable source for ATP news.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I didn't post it because he had news. I posted it because I agreed with his opinion. Blaming the move, at least in part, on a lack of hotels in AP was ridiculous. I don't know anyone who had trouble finding a room last year. Finding affordable, nearby hotels in NYC, on the other hand ...

he shares the station and sometimes the show with a lot of bands included on the lineup. I'm sure he's good friends with Reigning Sound

Hotels in the area were gouging this year, though. I know the Empress and at least a couple others were charging more than double last year's rates.
    Last edited by Boourns; 07-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by Gun in the Sun View Post
    he shares the station and sometimes the show with a lot of bands included on the lineup. I'm sure he's good friends with Reigning Sound
    He's also totally over-reactionary to every that happens in his life.

edit: I also really enjoy The Best Show, Scharpling's thoughts, etc, but I can't imagine that he'd ever not side with Asbury Park in any case.
    Last edited by dorkfish; 07-14-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

When i booked my tattoo appointment for asbury park, the dudes there were telling me how some of their clients who were in town for bamboozle were paying almost 400 a night for small rooms at the berkeley. I could definitely see them and atp not coming to an agreement. Probably why we never heard back about accommodations until now.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAmeche View Post
    This. Especially for those of us on the west coast.
    sigh. east coast sucks for festivals.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Did ATP LA fail massively or something?

Lurker

I cannot attend the NYC weekend. I boughtmy 3day Pass direct from ATP, using Paypal....How do I go about obtaining a refund?

Thanks for any help.

"Contact your ticket broker for a full refund."

Send an email to whoever sent you the hard ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Just spent the money I had earmaked for ATP on an upper-level membership at the Seattle Art Museum. Helloooo drinking cheap wine at exhibit openings with blue-haired old ladies for the next 12 months.

I admittedly will be happy to have the extra money. Especially since it makes FYF possible for me.

Yeah, the more I think about the more I wonder why I don't make these sorts of decisions more often. I mean, I am extremely pleased with this alternative.

Also, I think I just need to go to more music festivals you go to Bryan, because your sheer enthusiasm for a good set easily increases my enjoyment twofold.

so who is actually still going to this? I'm gonna stick with ATP through the dark ages here and hope for the best. if I'm unhappy with this one then 2013 will probably be out for me.

I was wondering the same thing.

If I were over there, I'd still go. But, incompetence like that doesn't breed confidence enough to get me to expend around a grand to get there and stay there.

Yeah there's no way im going be able to afford a NY trip.

My Fanasty-ATP: Pioneertown curator by Tom Waits
    Last edited by getbetter; 07-15-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Yeah, I've come to the decision I am going to opt out as well. Still really want to go, but I know I'll save a lot of money by doing FYF and one of the Animal Collective shows instead.

Lotta pissed off sentiments right now. wait though, bet it's nothing compared to tomorrow when we get announcements about the 1st acts booked for an amazing Shellac-curated Nightmare Before Christmas.

And sorry to throw more wood on the conspiracy theory bonfire, but how does this one sound...Shellac doesn't play ATP NY in order to increase NBC's appeal to "destination festival-goers." at all plausible??

been quietly content through a lot of the groans and gripes about lineups, announcement delays etc. None of it bothered me much but this latest development has put me firmly in the "disappointed" and "no longer going" camps.

Part of me feels they've done too much good over the years and i still wish them to succeed with this latest move, but at the same time I kind of want them to catch wind of a negative backlash, with the slight hope that maybe it'll show them how they've lost their way with this, and maybe they'll salvage what they can for this year...otherwise the next.

Plenty more (mostly negative) thoughts to share.....

I wrote them an email telling them that I really loved and appreciated the shows they had put on, but how disappointed and frustrated I felt as a fan and customer after these developments. I don't know if they'll care, but I thought that, since they always seemed so interested in the fans before, that they might care what disappointed one fan had to say.

oh they're definitely reading all of this. no doubt in my mind.

i'm just gonna play it up like a vacation to the LES. i don't ever go there anyways. to (not really) new experiences! i mean i am going there for the music after all............................................... ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    FYF's lineup isn't very interesting to me.
    Cause they have bands that actually sell records?

That statement finally arrived.

"Statement Regarding Changes Within ATP:

We have now completed a restructuring of the business of ATP Concerts Limited. This involved the Voluntary Liquidation of ATP Concerts Limited and transfer of its assets (including the rights to the All Tomorrow's Parties festival, label, and shows) to a new company called Willwal Limited. We will also be dividing the business into three different companies; ATP Festivals, ATP Recordings and ATP Shows.

The team however, remain the same, having been transferred over to Willwal Limited - and the festival is still called All Tomorrow's Parties. All future events will continue as scheduled on the dates advertised and all tickets for those events are still valid.

ATP remains unwaveringly committed to hosting world class events. Since our inception it has been our mission to provide quality concerts for discerning music lovers around the world - our number one priority has always been the bands and the fans and we work hard, sometimes under difficult circumstances, to achieve the highest standards possible. It is a tough climate out there, but this restructuring will ensure that ATP is around for many more years to come. We thank the fans who have stood by us over the years and especially during this recent time of reorganisation.

Other news we are announcing today is that the U.S. event on September 21 - 23 is to be moved from Asbury Park, New Jersey to Manhattan, New York. This is due to logistical reasons and a full press release regarding the move will be posted here. Anyone unable to attend due to this change will be able to request a full refund.

We have many exciting developments and opportunities available to us that will be announced over the coming months. We will be continuing the work we have done over the past 13 years and would like to thank everyone for their kind support over the past week - we apologise that this statement has taken longer than anticipated to be released (due to needing certain legal clearances) - we thank you again for your patience and apologise for any unnecessary worry caused.

On Monday we will announce the first bands for this December's Nightmare Before Christmas festival curated by Shellac.

Yours sincerely,

Barry Hogan ATP"
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Hitting this would involve nothing more than a single subway transfer* for me, but I'm far less enthused about the whole thing than I was about getting back on that NJ Transit train for a weekend at Asbury Park. I may still go, but I'm already disheartened to know so many of you good people won't be joining me.

* I guess I could also walk across the Williamsburg Bridge if the weather is agreeable.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 07-16-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I'm still going. I too am disappointed with the move but it's not like they were planning this from the start. This is better than no festival at all
    Last edited by Birds vs Worms; 07-16-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

old school

I'm done hating on ATP for this. They produced 2 of the best music festivals I've ever attended and for that I respect them. I'm so grateful I was able to attend last years installment at Asbury. That was one of the most entertaining weekends of my life and the setting at Asbury was exquisite. I wish them the best but its highly unlikely for me to ever attend one in Manhattan.
    Last edited by shoegazer76; 07-16-2012 at 05:35 AM.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Yes, I'm very frustrated. This was poorly handled, and the festival they're putting on now is not the one I bought a ticket for. A different location, losing one of the big names as well as Factory Floor (Louis and FF were 2 of my 3 most anticipated,) adding two acts that played last year, providing accommodations that are substantially further away from the venue than anything they've done in the past.

FYF has, for my money, a better lineup than ATP does. Plus it's cheaper and they're very active in keeping fans informed of what's happening. They're getting my refund money.
    Just letting you know. Factory Floor just signed to DFA last week and they're finishing up their debut LP which is coming out in January 2013. They were planning on doing mini US tour around ATP but they'll wait till next year when they have something released to come back here again. So it wasn't ATP's fault! With Louis Ck, he announced his own tour and playing 14 shows in NYC & 2 shows in Atlantic City. This saved ATP some $$$ and Louis CK fans can go see him when he's touring around the country starting in the fall.

Comparing FYF and ATP are irrelevant in my opinion (totally different festival). FYF's capacity will be over 20K right? ATP will have at most 3K this year. A major factor about ATP is you can see bands up close and not have to worry about major crowd issues. Another thing will be the people attending both of these festivals. I can guarantee that people attending ATP will be more respectful and not taking shit pictures with their iphones every second (Looking forward to dust storms during FYF!). What about overlapping set times? ATP does pretty well balancing everything out while we're gonna be juggling through couple stages for FYF! Yea it sucks that they waited this long to announce everything but give them another chance

Nightmare Before Xmas curated by Shellac Of North America
    November 30th - 2nd December 2012 at Pontins, Camber Sands, UK
    - Wire, Mission Of Burma, Scrawl, The Ex and more confirmed -

Last month to celebrate a return to the festival's original home; the recently refurbished Pontins Camber Sands Holiday Camp; All Tomorrow's Parties announced a Nightmare Before Christmas festival event curated by SHELLAC OF NORTH AMERICA to help celebrate their 20th anniversary as a band.

We look forward to returning to the festival's spiritual birthplace for an incredible weekend - Shellac headline and choose the rest of the 35 band bill playing across the event on the venue's excellent indoor stages featuring award winning sound, with DJs until late, Cinema and much more.

Two thirds of the event's tickets have been sold in the month since our initial announcement, with some apartment sizes now gone. The first artists for the event are announced today, and here is how the line-up now looks with much more to come:

SHELLAC OF NORTH AMERICA
    WIRE
    MISSION OF BURMA
    THE EX + BRASS UNBOUND (Mats Gustafsson/Ken Vandermark/Roy Paci/Wolter Wierbos)
    SHANNON WRIGHT
    ARCWELDER
    SCRAWL
    RED FANG
    ALIX
    BEAR CLAW
    THE MEMBRANES
    HELEN MONEY
    DEAD RIDER

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I like that Spooks feels bmack's decision is based on not being adequately informed on the advantages of an ATP festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    I like that Spooks feels bmack's decision is based on not being adequately informed on the advantages of an ATP festival.
    Another major difference: FYF (corporate sponsors) vs ATP (none)

8/25 Sleep @ Stage 48
    8/30 Heavy Blanket @ Union Pool
    8/30 Black Pus @ BNB
    8/30 Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Verboten
    8/31 DJ Qu/Lauren Ritter @ Paper Box

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Another difference: FYF doesn't jack us around for months then switch to a different venue, different city, different state, with different acts.

old school

Its a given that any music festivals lineup is subject to change. I still dont understand tho what legal hold they had on announcing the move. That was definitely a very poor business decision holding that info from the public for so long.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"