Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1899

Thread: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Default Re: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    Aw come on bmack, you're just frustrated

The lineup is (still) excellent, there is still more TBA for the whole thing, the price has dropped, and the city makes the most sense - even if it was moved pretty late in the game. I wasn't too big on Louis CK so it wasn't a big issue for me. ATP is still consistently providing the most interesting lineup for a US festival and hopefully will also be providing the best NYC festival experience this year - and you can tell they're working hard around financial and legal and logistical issues to make things work this year.
    Yes, I'm very frustrated. This was poorly handled, and the festival they're putting on now is not the one I bought a ticket for. A different location, losing one of the big names as well as Factory Floor (Louis and FF were 2 of my 3 most anticipated,) adding two acts that played last year, providing accommodations that are substantially further away from the venue than anything they've done in the past.

FYF has, for my money, a better lineup than ATP does. Plus it's cheaper and they're very active in keeping fans informed of what's happening. They're getting my refund money.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    FYF has, for my money, a better lineup than ATP does.
    This. Especially for those of us on the west coast.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Fun Fun Fun Fest as well.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    This was poorly handled, and the festival they're putting on now is not the one I bought a ticket for.
    well said

Commenter "Greg," who I assume is Reigning Sound frontman Greg Cartwright, posted this on Brooklynvegan. Good for him.

>Reigning Sound canceled because this is no way to treat an audience. Make up gigs in Oct. will be forthcoming, and cheaper, with longer sets, but unfortunately will not include Phillip Glass.

FYF's lineup isn't very interesting to me. I'll admit that FFF is pretty appealing

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    FYF's lineup isn't very interesting to me.
    Obviously, it's all a matter of taste, but I'll take

Refused
    James Blake
    Quicksand
    Dinosaur Jr
    Wild Flag
    Hot Snakes
    Liars
    Health
    Lightning Bolt
    Vaselines
    Fucked Up
    Gold Panda
    Aesop Rock
    Atlas Sound
    Black Dice
    The Field
    Moonface
    The Men
    John Maus

and a ton of other solid stuff for $77 all day long.

From FYF, I would take Beirut, Yeasayer, Simian Mobile Disco, Dinosaur Jr., Warpaint, Wild Flag, Twin Shadow, Chromatics, The Vaselines, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Tycho, Purity Ring, Chairlift, Atlas Sound, Cloud Nothings, Father John Misty, I Break Horses, Doldrums for $77, but that location is hellish enough for one day that I can't imagine how painful it would be for two. But still, a steal is a steal.

As for ATP, I enjoyed the hell out of it last year, but when The Empress decided to more than double the rate from last year, I crossed it off my list of consideration. Now that it's in NYC, I'm still not going to do it even though there are plenty of cheap hostels. New York is the best, but it won't be the same without being on the ocean and having the Paramount and the lanes. As for the lineup, I just saw Godspeed in April, and it was perfect (except for not being on shrooms), and also saw a bunch of these acts recently (Emeralds at Primavera, Braids opening for Asobi Seksu, The Album Leaf and Chavez at...ATP). If the lineup were more exciting, I'd use it as an excuse to visit the city, but maybe next year.
    Last edited by Boourns; 07-13-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

that location is fine, stop being a baby
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I'm torn. I was likely to skip FYF even though I really want to go. It would be much easier and cheaper to go there. I can also go to Animal Collective at the Hollywood Bowl instead of going to Seattle for them. I'm really bummed about no Factory Floor, but I really want to see Emeralds, Demdike Stare, Godspeed again, and many others on the lineup. I'm guessing Afghan Whigs will make it to the west coast, at this point I have to see them. What to do...

Meanwhile, at Brooklynvegan, the Garofalo backlash has officially overtaken the relocation backlash.

Hahahaha. That's fitting for those guys, seeing as how the average BV poster is probably stoked that they can now ride their fixie to their art space between sets to pound hella PBRs and smoke.

How much will PBR be at the new location? Certainly not $2-2.50 like in Asbury Park.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The beer prices were such a nice surprise for a festival in AP. of course, it also meant that i was a drunken mess the entire weekend.
    last.fm

Since I need to start diverting funds into getting my life together and not music festivals so much, I'm limiting myself to one more festival for the year (if that even). All this (including kind of underwhelming additions) is making it way easier to focus on Decibel being that one festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

it looks like I am probably out too
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    that location is fine, stop being a baby
    Excellent avatar/post combo here

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The beer prices were such a nice surprise for a festival in AP. of course, it also meant that i was a drunken mess the entire weekend.
    ... a drunken AWESOME mess.

gonna temper my frustration by imagining I'm not in NY during the fest. also I'm going to kill myself.

For folks still planning on attending, these two would also be choices within a 15-20 minute walk:

New York Central Lower East Side Suite, 2 bedroom suite (sleeps 3-6 people), $299 per night

Mayor Hotel, double bed, $179 per night

Granted, the area you are walking through is going to be pretty sketchy late at night.

There actually have been a few worthwhile comments at Brooklynvegan today:

I feel like the people who live in New York bought tickets because they wanted to see a weekend of music outside of New York (like myself). And now the folks who don't live in New York have to shell out big $$$ for a New York hotel. Lose/lose here.
    if atp had a better lineup this year they would have sold more tickets. simple as that.
    This was a terrible decision for people that once loved the festival that will probably work out for them financially. They'll find a few thousand idiots. Expect complaints of terrible sound (thought convention hall was bad?) and worse organizational mishaps. I'd love to go to a Camber Sands ATP, but who in their right mind would book travel around these fuckups?
    This is such a ridiculous failure, it seems impossible that the same people put on the NY fest for 3 years.
    i feel like i just lost my best friend

I have to agree with that last comment. I'm not even mad, just saddened and disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

As much as I agree with the sadness, I'm pretty damn mad that they think they do things like this to people who pay for their shows. It'd be one thing if this were an isolated incident, but IBYM Tokyo, the Jeff Mangum ATP and now this are suggesting that their business approach is getting to be pretty fundamentally flawed. You can't change a festival to a different state, or a different month, and treat it like the same thing.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I was a new customer. I even tried to get out of going and then went and had such a fantastic time I purchased this years ticket in the presale without knowing a lineup. Then the lineup came out and it had just enough to get me excited and then once I started exploring other bands I was perfectly content. Take away the intimacy, a couple of artists and put it in Manhattan...no thanks.

This after they said all future events are still happening. Yeah in a different state with the worst comedic downgrade possible, the loss of Sharon Van Etten and crazy hotel price increases. I guess i'm fortunate i'm not as attached to it as those who have gone multiple years but even more fortunate I didn't pull the trigger on airfare a few weeks ago like I almost did. I still don't get why they can't void a ticket and refund my money without me snail mailing them the physical ticket. This refund is going to take forever between that and waiting for it to hit paypal at which point I wait for a transfer to my bank. I'm over it though and on to planning other things now that i've let that rant out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Most bars are open till 4am or later!
    crif dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Yeah in a different state with the worst comedic downgrade possible
    I would guess that Janeane Garofalo would have been the "comedian" in spite of Louis CK's attendance. Louis looked to have been booked as a headliner and Janeane is billed the same as Lightning Bolt.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    it looks like I am probably out too
    Yep.

Peace.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by @scharpling on Twitter
    Hearing bits and pieces of the real ATP story. Classy of them to blame the move on "a lack of available fan accomodations in Asbury Park".
    Quote Originally Posted by @scharpling on Twitter
    You don't deserve Asbury Park, ATP.

it seems especially shady since they already announced a move was in store for 2013 to the now current location.

I want to hear what Steve Albini has to say on the subject.