Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1901

Thread: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Default Re: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Whoa, I really dodged a bullet here. The past three years my friends and I have rented houses near Asbury and Kutsher's, most of the money for which was due in well before now. Had that happened this year, I would have been on the hook for a house in NJ for an event in Manhattan. Only reason I'm not is that I happened not to have been very into the lineup. Pays to be picky, I guess.

New Yorkers and others in the area probably didn't need lodging or hadn't booked it yet. That means the people getting hurt the most by this move are out-of-towners, who booked airfare and in some cases lodging on the promise of an Asbury festival that no longer exists. Much as I've enjoyed all five of the U.S. ATP fests I've attended, I can't see myself committing to travel for any future ATP events - just seems way too risky. Plus, a NYC festival isn't something I'm personally interested in.

Also: pretty ridiculous they included Godspeed in the "New additions to the festival today include" part of the release.
    Last edited by MrAmeche; 07-13-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Yeah, not too happy about the hotel being quite a bit away(subway trip required) but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't have the full experience - at least for the first NYC IBYM.

MrAmeche - Most people going to Asbury Park are probably flying into NYC anyways. And there is public transportation from Asbury Park to NYC, so it's not like it will be a stretch for anyone who flew into another place

This little tidbit from the press release:
    Pier 36 was the intended home for I'll Be Your Mirror beginning in 2013 - but due to unavoidable logistical concerns (along with a lack of available fan accommodations in Asbury Park), ATP has decided to move there for this year's event.
    Looks like we can expect an IBYM 2013...

this is where we're staying

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    MrAmeche - Most people going to Asbury Park are probably flying into NYC anyways. And there is public transportation from Asbury Park to NYC, so it's not like it will be a stretch for anyone who flew into another place
    My point was that if folks aren't interested in attending this completely different festival from the one they committed to when it was first announced, they now have plane tickets and in some cases NJ lodging commitments anyway. Which is just ducky for them.

I just love how whenever this festival cancels/postpones/relocates (LA 03, Mangum's UK fest this year, Tokyo, now this), they apologize for the inconvenience and offer refunds to ticketholders, which is basically all they can do ... apart from not canceling/postponing/relocating the damn things they committed to hold when and where they committed to hold them. But I guess their problems trump those they create for their customers when they do things like this. I'm personally just sick of it.

All the NYC Louis CK shows are sold out now :/

This is a good move for ATP to have it in NYC. They'll be able to sell more tickets since most of these artists won't be playing any other shows here except ATP. But of course the downside of it is the intimacy and close-knit community that we had @ Kutchers & Asbury (well somewhat). It's great they added Psychic Paramount! They're definitely playing more shows lately and I think people will like them. Yes to Demdike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not surprised about Louis CK not being there as when he announced those fall tour dates couple weeks ago, his website had no information on ATP. But I'm little upset about Factory Floor since their late night set on Sunday after Portishead last year was one of my favorite sets

12/22 Afrika Bambaataa vs Arthur Baker @ W New York
    12/27 Dubfire @ Output
    12/28 Television @ Irving Plaza
    12/28 Boys Noize @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

"they now have plane tickets and in some cases NJ lodging commitments anyway."

There's not a hotel in New Jersey that won't let you cancel two months out, come on now.

There isn't a way to get out of it if you've prepaid for your hotel room (which you should never do, by the way).
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by whiney View Post
    There's not a hotel in New Jersey that won't let you cancel two months out, come on now.
    Reread what I wrote a few posts up. I've booked nonrefundable rental houses the past three years, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I guess shame on us for not staying at the official hotel and all.

Edit: This guy on FB, for example

> This is really a blow to those of us who planned ahead and found accomodations. I have a 10 bedroom house rented in Ocean Grove and now I'm going to have to go hat-in-hand to get my money back. I'm sure I'm going to lose my $400.00 deposit, but it's the other $1,000 I've invested in the home already that I'm truly concerned about...I've been to Kutschers, Minehead and NJ, sad to say I think I'll be skipping NY.
    Last edited by MrAmeche; 07-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Those of you wanting to stay in Brooklyn, there's a hotel there called the Wythe. They have a six person and a four person bunkbed room there. Not sure if they're open or not, but you should check it out.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I quickly browsed through press statement but are they having everyone play inside Pier 36 or will there be different stages? Because this is a pretty big warehouse (w/ a balcony) so I don't know how they would divide it up....it's a similar place to where Creators Project SF took place this year if anyone went to that. I saw one show there and the sound was horrible for Nas! It might have been due to thousands of people packed in there drinking Heineken for free but...

You can see pics of the place here: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...e-lo_pete.html

12/27 Dubfire @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    It's great they added Psychic Paramount!
    I guess? TPP played LPR in June, Cameo last Sunday, and are back around in August at Union Pool. Thanks ATP for bringing them around for the 4th time in as many months?

for anyone that is bagging out now due to this change, i just contacted brown paper tickets and they were really cool about refunding. you have to mail your ticket back to them, which makes sense. i also had a room in a bed and breakfast down in ocean grove. they were really cool about refunding too, but they were pissed. the woman said they had turned down weddings and other reservations because of this and now they are left high and dry.

i understand that ATP had to make some changes, but now that this event is in NYC - i don't know, whatever was special about ATP (at least to me) seems lost. Kutcher's had a great vibe and i enjoyed asbury park too. but hoofing it in NYC for three days, taking subways, taxis or whatever, and seeing a bunch of bands in a big warehouse venue - just isn't the same.

i get it's a tough market out there and ATP has to do what it has to do in order to be sustainable. but definitely feels like the end of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by maudio35 View Post
    definitely feels like the end of the era.
    Agreed. Feel lucky to have been there for the three at Kutsher's and last year's in Asbury.

i understand that ATP had to make some changes, but now that this event is in NYC - i don't know, whatever was special about ATP (at least to me) seems lost. Kutcher's had a great vibe and i enjoyed asbury park too. but hoofing it in NYC for three days, taking subways, taxis or whatever, and seeing a bunch of bands in a big warehouse venue - just isn't the same.

i get it's a tough market out there and ATP has to do what it has to do in order to be sustainable. but definitely feels like the end of the era.
    i agree. this will probably be my last atp here in the states. next year im gonna shoot for the uk ones in december.
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by Birds vs Worms View Post
    next year im gonna shoot for the uk ones in december.
    Just make sure you book refundable everythings.

IMO, you might want to think twice about staying at the Ace. That's not close to the venue, AT ALL. I mean, it's only a couple subway stops, but waiting for subways to come to the LES late night is pretty much you standing around for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, just waiting.

Somewhere like the Sohotel would be a quick 20 minute walk and is may be cheaper than the Ace too.

The change of venue pretty much guarantees that I'm sitting this one out this year. It's just not for me.

I'm definitely trying to do Pontins next year

where is shellac
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

ATP sent an e-mail about rooms.

Mini - $249 +tax (regular rate is $409)
    Small - $289 +tax (regular rate is $459)
    Medium - $329 +tax (regular rate is $509)

I'm done with ATP. What bullshit. Drop a headliner, leave NY fans high and dry for his other NY shows, lose a band signed to your own damn label, change the city. Go to hell folks, you've officially lost any ounce of goodwill you had left from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

for anyone that is bagging out now due to this change, i just contacted brown paper tickets and they were really cool about refunding. you have to mail your ticket back to them, which makes sense.
    I talked to brown paper tickets and they told me I had to e-mail feedback@atpfestival.com

What part about putting the physical ticket into an envelope makes sense in 2012? These are all barcoded and have names on them. This seems ridiculous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    ATP sent an e-mail about rooms.

Mini - $249 +tax (regular rate is $409)
    Small - $289 +tax (regular rate is $459)
    Medium - $329 +tax (regular rate is $509)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Somewhere like the Sohotel would be a quick 20 minute walk and may be cheaper than the Ace too.
    Yeah, I'll just repeat what I said above. Somewhere like the Sohotel will be cheaper AND closer -- I just checked and they have 5-person rooms available for $350 per night, so that's only $70 per person.

Or alternately, you could do somewhere that's more hostel-style like the recently opened Bowery House, which is actually supposed to be sort of fun and has been written up in quite a lot of travel publications. It's about a 25-30 minute walk from the venue. They have bunk rooms available for $74 per person, or private rooms with shared bath for $104.
    Last edited by Courtney; 07-13-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Aw come on bmack, you're just frustrated

The lineup is (still) excellent, there is still more TBA for the whole thing, the price has dropped, and the city makes the most sense - even if it was moved pretty late in the game. I wasn't too big on Louis CK so it wasn't a big issue for me. ATP is still consistently providing the most interesting lineup for a US festival and hopefully will also be providing the best NYC festival experience this year - and you can tell they're working hard around financial and legal and logistical issues to make things work this year.

Ok, according to Brown Paper Tickets "we were giving you wrong information before because we didn't have all the information yet". Gee thanks.

Mail physical ticket to
    Brown Paper Tickets
    Attn: Fulfillment
    220 Nickerson St.
    Seattle WA 98109

What Courtney said. There are bunch of hostels/hotels in NYC that are really reasonably priced than Ace Hotel. You can look for some here: http://www.hostels.com/new-york/usa

Also for the people complaining about the location. Yes it's definitely not Kutcher's or Asbury but there will be tons of activities you'll be able to enjoy after each day. Most bars are open till 4am or later! And freaking Jonathan Toubin bringing you good old music

12/27 Dubfire @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Ok, according to Brown Paper Tickets "we were giving you wrong information before because we didn't have all the information yet". Gee thanks.

Mail physical ticket to
    Brown Paper Tickets
    Attn: Fulfillment
    220 Nickerson St.
    Seattle WA 98109
    that is what they told me, as well

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    Aw come on bmack, you're just frustrated

The lineup is (still) excellent, there is still more TBA for the whole thing, the price has dropped, and the city makes the most sense - even if it was moved pretty late in the game. I wasn't too big on Louis CK so it wasn't a big issue for me. ATP is still consistently providing the most interesting lineup for a US festival and hopefully will also be providing the best NYC festival experience this year - and you can tell they're working hard around financial and legal and logistical issues to make things work this year.
    This. Why are people complaining about Louis CK? I mean he's a great man and everything but I would enjoy comedians @ regular seated venue/other place than ATP. I'm sure there were people who bought tickets just to see Louis CK so keeping those fans away will be helpful for us "music lovers"

ps The only downside for this location is NYPD will be patrolling the area for the whole weekend I bet...just brown bag everything or put your liquor in a coke bottle

12/27 Dubfire @ Output

I'm done with ATP. What bullshit. Drop a headliner, leave NY fans high and dry for his other NY shows, lose a band signed to your own damn label, change the city. Go to hell folks, you've officially lost any ounce of goodwill you had left from me.
    On one hand, I have tremendous respect for Barry's festival vision. His taste in music and mine intersect far more often than not, and his Kutsher's fests produced three of the best weekends of my entire life. On the other hand, he seems way too willing to write off his most loyal customers when it suits his purposes. "Remember those plane tickets you bought for Mangum's UK fest on our say-so? And those vacation days you already put in for? And that other trip you didn't book? Well, we're pushing the event back 'cause some shit came up on our end, so good luck. But we'll give you a refund on your $200 ATP ticket if you want. Cool?"

Just not a good way of doing business, and they've done variations on that theme three times in the past year. At a certain point (now, for me), even people who love ATP will stop bothering with it.