Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Default Re: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by send me ctrpllrs View Post
    Just have to say that I love The Afghan Whigs more and more with each listen.
    FACT!
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Check out older Dirty Three, Ocean Songs is amazing. Also, live they are one of the best I've ever seen
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

http://www.factmag.com/2012/03/13/bo...irm-new-album/

here's to outrageous hopes for our friday headliner

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I listened to the new Dirty Three album today. Got off to kind of a rocky start for me, but it became a really beautiful album. I'm wondering how much I'd enjoy them live, but I certainly wouldn't mind finding out.
    First act I saw at an ATP, and certainly set the bar extremely high. I still look back on that one as one of the best I've ever seen, but it was also them performing their best album... Well, most of it. Also, I think the fact that Warren will be there makes it likely that Nick Cave will be there in attendance, if not on the stage

Big fan of Horse Stories
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

First act I saw at ATP was The Drones performing Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By. Can we get them again, please? Missed most of The Feelies trying to find the people I was staying with, then was that amazing Dirty Three show. Everything was awesome. And here we are now, tickets already purchased for my fourth year. Wish I knew about it in 2008.

First act I saw was the last half of the Meat Puppets. Closing with Tomorrow Never Knows was a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Most artists simply don't listen to their own music, and Greg Dulli is no exception. Having been away from his Afghan Whigs days for more than a decade when he dipped into the band's catalog for his 2010 acoustic tour, the songs were like familiar strangers.

"Playing something I had frankly forgotten about was completely like rediscovering the songs," he tells Rolling Stone. "It was like cleaning out your drawer or a closet – 'Oh, look at this, I remember this. I used to love to wear this.' It was sort of like that. There were certain songs I was overjoyed to meet again."

Now the reunion that Whigs devotees thought would never come has arrived. Dulli, John Curley and Rick McCollum will reunite for several shows this year after 13 years, and steadfast Dulli refusals. "The planets aligned, and that’s really the only way I can describe it," he says. "Everything that had happened, John and I playing together, me spending the day with Rick McCollum in Minneapolis last May and then speaking to Barry [Hogan], those were the three variables."

Barry Hogan is the head of the All Tomorrow's Parties festival and the man who initiated the reunion by asking the band to step in when Guided By Voices had to bail out of the London festival. "He’s the crucial piece of the puzzle, because he needed a favor," Dulli says, laughing. "After I spoke to him and then John, Rick and I spoke, we got together and played before we made any kind of answer. We played, and it went well so we agreed to step in and help out."

Surely Hogan wasn't the first to ask. "A lot of people have asked," Dulli confirms. So what made Hogan special? "He’s someone I’ve admired for a long time. The world of festivals is strange, and the purity in which he’s kept his festival, I found it to be the one I most admire."

Still, none of this would have happened if not for the acoustic tour. "That was the most crucial element of the storm – me singing the songs again, which I had not done in a long time," some for as many as 20 years, he says.

While it was songs off the album Black Love, which Dulli once called his "misunderstood baby," that most stood out for him, the upcoming reunion tour will cover the whole Whigs repertoire. "I think we’re gonna spread it evenly over basically the five main albums, and there are some songs that we never released that we may or may not revisit," he says. "There are a couple of cover songs we used to do that no one ever heard us play that we are going to do. They not only held up for me, but I was like, 'Wow, I can’t believe we never put that out. I’m very excited to build the show. I think it’s gonna be a really great time for everyone involved, performer and audience."

Dulli is well aware of the audience demand for this tour from old fans and those who've come to the band since their last studio album, 1965. The mix is very exciting to him. "The unknown factor is also very attractive to me, not knowing exactly what’s going to happen," he says. "[But] I’m confident that it’s gonna be a warm celebration."

One reason Dulli has been able to stay away from his celebrated past for so long is that he's enjoyed a very active and successful post-Whigs run with the Twilight Singers and the Gutter Twins, his partnership with Mark Lanegan. While 2012 will see a lot of time devoted to the Whigs' live shows, his new music output will come in other forms. "I’m actually going to start work on some electronic music with a friend of mine from Spain, Jorge Sierra," he says. "We’ve been talking about it for a year and a half, and we’re finally go do something about it. I haven’t stopped working since I was 16, so I have a wealth of material. It’s just what to do with it."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz1pa8VgS7t

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Afghan Whigs - 1965
    I love this album. It grooves, it has soul, it has horns. It's just so god damned good. This fest is too far away!

Nah, I still need to listen to a lot from the lineup. Putting that (mostly) on hold until after Coachella.

But agreed on 1965. I'm going to listen to that next.

There is a decent amount of crossover between this and Oya/Way Out West, crossing fingers for more. I'm looking at you, Thurston Moore, Mazzy Star, and Bob Mould playing Copper Blue.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

How about some Pillow Wand?

I would like any and all of your above list though i'm not familiar with Copper Blue.

Mark, go listen to Copper Blue right now. It's SO GOOD

I'd like to encourage everyone to listen to Charles Bradley. If you have already listened to him, listen again. Shit's got soul and nice grooves.

Yeah, I love the heck out of the few of his tunes that have popped up on jamie's Spotify playlist.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I was going to see him a month or so ago, but then something came up. Glad I will have the chance in Sept.

new Liars album out in June.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Still waiting for the Berkeley rooms to get released...

Also, while I totally doubt that Leonard Cohen would play this, his European tour dates are open enough to where it would possibly work. Not happening, at all, but it would be neat...
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Someone should make it happpen.

well the prices raise to 249 tomorrow so I'm guessing we'll hear something about the Berkeley soon. hopefully

sunn o))) announced for hopscotch in early sept as part of an unannounced tour.

Since my hearing has sadly never fully recovered from Altar I'll pass on them

I LOVED Altar, but you really need to see Sunn O))) do one of their own sets. So fucking great.

\m/
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    This is being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I LOVED Altar, but you really need to see Sunn O))) do one of their own sets. So fucking great.
    I certainly loved it, but I don't know if I'd do it again without some heavy-duty protection

Oh, some level of protection is always a good idea with those guys. Doesn't mean I heed that advice, just that it's smart.

I would love to see Sunn O))) by themselves again. I haven't seen them on their own since 06 when they were so loud I hallucinated