Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

Default Re: ATP / IBYM 2012 - Asbury Park, NJ

The Brownpapertickets ones will be the ones you use to get in this time.

Jamie, anyone who has bought a weekend pass will have a shot at the Berkeley? It's not weighted according to how many tickets you bought? I would have bought more but my card maxes out at a thousand a day and I wanted room on it to get a room if I had to today.

Incredible Hog and any J Mascis or Thurston Moore project would great on this lineup
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Wish I could go to this...

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Wish I could go to this...
    You can!

Ha I really can't. School is a bitch

If I was still in NY it would be a no-brainer, now it's a much tougher decision.

No it doesn't matter how many you buy, we just thought rather than making it a cliquey thing where we let the same people buy the rooms every year it would be a little fairer to let those people who buy first get a chance - obviously there will be overlap with the regulars in that regard anyway but it makes it less exclusionary.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie_atp View Post
    No it doesn't matter how many you buy, we just thought rather than making it a cliquey thing where we let the same people buy the rooms every year it would be a little fairer to let those people who buy first get a chance - obviously there will be overlap with the regulars in that regard anyway but it makes it less exclusionary.
    When will they go on sale?

Heh... got up to see the lineup, saw onsale monday and went back to bed. Now I saw that it is onsale. Bought a ticket for myself. Think I may be going solo this year.

after little research I'm already wondering how I'd never heard of Dirty Three and Emeralds.

Just bought my ticket. This is the second time (not happened since 1st) where I'm specifically travelling with someone to this. Bballarl and I went to the first one with Mike and his girlfriend, and this year my best friend from college is coming. He's a huge Louis CK nut and he trusted me when I told him this is the best festival to travel to.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

bryan, you grabbing a room yet when they let you book? I want in again, at least until I cqn sort out financials. Doing my taxes tomorrow, so if I get a nice return, I can give you a solid answer.....

I need to sort out who exactly will be joining me. I've got myself and my friend Michael in my room (which, yes, I will be booking) so far, and I'm pretty sure TallChris and Fax had both talked to me about it as well. We'll figure out who's gonna stay together by monday?

Bryan, I'd be very interested in joining you all if there's room.

Likely going solo = probably want to room with some of you. Looking at you, Bryan and Jarrett. Or whoever else.

I've usually got space

damn lotta hating going on. i think this might be one of the more high energy lineups for ATP US. i've been wishing for a festival heavy on garage and with Greg Dulli on board I'm psyched.

Wake me up when Joanna is added.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

So to spice things up, I guess I'll throw out a conspiracy theory - Greg Dulli had a bigger pick that fell through, and that was the cause of the delay

I really don't think Greg was picking bands like D3 and Sharon Van Etten and Emeralds(not that he wouldn't, but they're obviously ATP picks) - I think that a bigger name(Maybe not a bigger name, maybe a few middle-of-the-roads) of his fell through and they offered him those in place to get the lineup out.

Quote Originally Posted by Icemouse View Post
    So to spice things up, I guess I'll throw out a conspiracy theory - Greg Dulli had a bigger pick that fell through, and that was the cause of the delay

I really don't think Greg was picking bands like D3 and Sharon Van Etten and Emeralds(not that he wouldn't, but they're obviously ATP picks) - I think that a bigger name(Maybe not a bigger name, maybe a few middle-of-the-roads) of his fell through and they offered him those in place to get the lineup out.
    Although that could be true, I don't think that this was the case. I'd probably expect it to be the opposite (i.e. working on getting Louis CK or The Make Up before releasing the lineup). They probably wanted to have a good chunk of lineup to present, but are completely content with not having anything booked for Friday, yet, or the rest of the TBA slots.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Or, Garage rock granddaddy is taking awhile to confirm his appearance and they decided that, even without Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the lineup, they might as well toss it out there.

Because, basically, I'm holding out hope against all odds that Neil's there.

Oh, and Milk Music too. Please?

Always enjoy the comment section of BV on Friday afternoon after work. I skimmed through most of ATP comments and this one caught my eyes. I can understand what this person is saying especially about the cops!!! After Kutchers, I didn't expect to see so many of them and yes, the sound was pretty bad especially for the Battles & Public Enemy if I remember correctly. But I'm confident most issues will be sown up for this year's ATP!

I've been to 10 ATPS so far. Camber Sands(3), Minehead(2), LA(1), Catskills(3) & Asbury Park(1). I've had an amazing time at every single one. That being said, I have to say that i am a little hesitant this time around. Some reasons:
    1) The sound in the larger room is the worst sound in any room at any ATP event I have ever been to. Portishead were the only band to actually sound good in it. The larger drawing acts will be playing in this room and I don't want to see bands that I love flounder in that kind of environment.
    2) WAY too many cops. The scene is not nearly as chill as other ATP events. Last year it seemed like they were taking an overly aggressive stance and at times made the environment pretty hostile.
    3) It did not feel like a festival was happening. The communal feel of the previous ATPs was difficult to find. If you were just walking around you probably would not even know a music festival was happening.
    4)The Asbury Lanes shows were very difficult to get into. And once you got in, it was very difficult to find a spot that had good sight lines.
    On the other hand:
    1) The hotel rooms were very nice.
    2) Being near the beach is always cool (even if it does close early)
    3) The smaller seated venue is gorgeous and sounds amazing.
    4) No lines for anything.
    I don't think any of the problems are incurable. ATP always has been about the music first, so I'm confident that many of the issues mentioned will be addressed. I'm just going to wait to see the full lineup to make my decision.

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Hey, hanging out with Louis C.K. will happen. That's going to be way fun.

I want in on a Berkeley room at some point. Let me know how much money to send and where.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

God damn you, ATP.....there's really no way I can make this trip make sense with the other things I have going on this year. But that Saturday is fucking bananas and it's going to depress me greatly to skip it.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    1) The sound in the larger room is the worst sound in any room at any ATP event I have ever been to. Portishead were the only band to actually sound good in it. The larger drawing acts will be playing in this room and I don't want to see bands that I love flounder in that kind of environment.
    FYI:
    runout_groove
    we're going to improve the convention hall sound, started planning it straight after the last event.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I completely disagree with every negative point Spooks has except maybe the sound the issues in the Convention Hall. Cops had no hindrance on my ability to act like a total drunken buffoon the entire time, i felt a great communal vibe and met a ton of awesome folks, and only once did I have a problem getting into an Asbury lanes show.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie

Or, Garage rock granddaddy is taking awhile to confirm his appearance and they decided that, even without Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the lineup, they might as well toss it out there.

Because, basically, I'm holding out hope against all odds that Neil's there.

Oh, and Milk Music too. Please?
    Grandaddy reunion confirmed.

my only issue was getting hassled trying to get up front during Swans.

ATP please

9/16 Seth Troxler @ Standard
    9/17 Ty Segall @ Webster
    9/18 Kode 9 @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I completely disagree with every negative point Spooks has except maybe the sound the issues in the Convention Hall. Cops had no hindrance on my ability to act like a total drunken buffoon the entire time, i felt a great communal vibe and met a ton of awesome folks, and only once did I have a problem getting into an Asbury lanes show.
    For number 2, did you go to Kutschers? There is something magical about being able to have an open beer in your hand at all times during the fest... Had to hide beers in my pockets and stuff.. Terrible. 3 goes hand-in-hand with the Kutscher's comparison, and I mentioned it in my feedback from last year - imo, it was because it wasn't central enough, between the lanes, the stages, and the berkeley it was pretty spread out. I think putting more focus on the berkeley will help fix that... Or having more to do in the arcade area. Not to be elitist on the Kutscher's thing, it was just really a one-of-a-kind experience.

And number 1.. I don't think that's a 'maybe' - it had to be the most common complaint.