Page 229 of 263 FirstFirst ... 224225226227228229230231232233234 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,870 of 7863

Thread: Official CD/LP purchases thread

  1. #6841
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,543

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    7
    Rockfire Funk Express - People Save the World
    The Underwear Heads - Tangmania ep
    Last edited by getbetter; 06-06-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    Translation


    Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14


    Last.fm





  2. #6842
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    GAH!

    Pitchfork just reviewed a reissue of Peter Jeffries - The Last Great Chance In A Dull World, one of the all-time great noise/lo-fi records, and I thought it meant I could finally grab a copy for less than $100. Only on CD. Fuck you Xpressways records for having an incredible catalog and never knowing what to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  3. #6843
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    GAH!

    Pitchfork just reviewed a reissue of Peter Jeffries - The Last Great Chance In A Dull World, one of the all-time great noise/lo-fi records, and I thought it meant I could finally grab a copy for less than $100. Only on CD. Fuck you Xpressways records for having an incredible catalog and never knowing what to do with it.
    dude, i'm listening to this for the first time 'cause of that review. this is really interesting, awesome stuff.

  4. #6844
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Give his band, This Kind of Punishment, a spin as well. Their self-titled debut is very Joy Division-ish, only it came out around the same time and without the bands having ever heard each other. The second album, A Beard of Bees, is a really bizarre masterpiece of subtle melodies and tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  5. #6845
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Give his band, This Kind of Punishment, a spin as well. Their self-titled debut is very Joy Division-ish, only it came out around the same time and without the bands having ever heard each other. The second album, A Beard of Bees, is a really bizarre masterpiece of subtle melodies and tension.
    will do! thanks

  6. #6846
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    For sure. That whole era of New Zealand indie is just incredible. There were so many good to great bands putting out music around that time that you could just get lost in the back catalogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  7. #6847
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    For sure. That whole era of New Zealand indie is just incredible. There were so many good to great bands putting out music around that time that you could just get lost in the back catalogs.
    The only one I'm familiar with is Tall Dwarfs, I'm definitely gonna be exploring that scene.

  8. #6848
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Here's a quick list of things to check out:

    The Clean - Anthology (Disc 1)
    The Chills - Submarine Bells
    This Kind of Punishment - This Kind of Punishment
    Dead C - Harsh 70s Reality
    The Verlaines - Bird Dog
    The 3Ds - The Venus Trail
    The Bats - Daddy's Highway
    Snapper - Shotgun Blossom
    Bailter Space - Robot World
    Straitjacket Fits - Hail

    All of those are classics from the scene and just totally great records. If you particularly enjoy any of them lemme know and I can give you recommendations on where to go next.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  9. #6849
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,917

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Speak of the devil, I just noticed The Bats are playing the Satellite on 6/15.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  10. #6850
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Here's a quick list of things to check out:

    The Clean - Anthology (Disc 1)
    The Chills - Submarine Bells
    This Kind of Punishment - This Kind of Punishment
    Dead C - Harsh 70s Reality
    The Verlaines - Bird Dog
    The 3Ds - The Venus Trail
    The Bats - Daddy's Highway
    Snapper - Shotgun Blossom
    Bailter Space - Robot World
    Straitjacket Fits - Hail

    All of those are classics from the scene and just totally great records. If you particularly enjoy any of them lemme know and I can give you recommendations on where to go next.
    Wow, thanks so much for this! Seriously. And I totally will

  11. #6851
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Speak of the devil, I just noticed The Bats are playing the Satellite on 6/15.
    Yeah, sons of bitches. That's my mom's birthday. A good friend in Bishop is a nut for kiwi rock and tried to get them to play here, but they were too busy. Her biggest score was the Bird Nest Roys, who are a great old Dunedin group, but man, if she had gotten the Bats I would have exploded with joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  12. #6852
    Coachella Junkie bballarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    14,929

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Hooray for mail order!

    7":
    Goat - Dreambuilding

    12":
    Dolo Percussion - Dolo Percussion
    Delroy Edwards - White Owl
    Florian Kupfer - Lifetrax
    Moon B - Sussegad


    LP:
    Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
    Deafheaven - Sunbather
    King Tuff - Was Dead

  13. #6853
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    CD:

    The Stooges - Fun House
    Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven (CD Single)

  14. #6854
    Coachella Junkie greghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    6,028

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Taj Mahal - The Natch'l Blues (og)
    Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

  15. #6855
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    For those of you who buy CDs, I'm going to be selling my CD collection to make space and money. I'm putting everything on Discogs, so if you see something you'd like send me a message either here or there and we can work something out.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  16. #6856
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    As a note, I found Dresden Dolls S/T album on CD signed by Amanda and Brian. If anyone is interested in that sort of stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  17. #6857

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Picked this up late last week.

    Beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

  18. #6858
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    I do wish the mastering was better on the album, but the packaging for it is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  19. #6859
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,710

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    bmack - let me know how that goes? I've been considering doing the same but assumed CDs don't really sellanymore.

    London record shopping at a place sonofhal suggested:
    Stone Roses - Love Spreads 12"
    Inner City - Paradise LP
    Trash Can Sinatras - Cake LP
    Ride - Nowhere LP (i'm sure i overpaid for this but i couldn't put it down)
    Bel Canto - White-out Conditions LP
    Momus - Timelord LP
    The Orb - u.f.orb 2xLP+bonus disc
    Dead Voices on Air - The Silent Wing LP
    Radiohead - Pablo Honey LP (180 gram reissue)

    Didn't have time to shop in Barcelona, hopefully hitting some Berlin stores tomorrow

  20. #6860
    Coachella Junkie greghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    6,028

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Heidi, given our close proximity in the city, I would certainly be interested in buying some of your CDs. Your collection is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

  21. #6861
    old school nosurprises12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    3,851

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    While walking my dog this morning I went past a framing store who also sells a lot of old music/movie signage, and from the street I could see about 300 LPs sitting on the floor. There was a copy of Music for the Masses on the front of one of the stacks, so after I got home I drove over and went home with the following for $40:

    Pet Shop Boys - Please
    Madonna - Madonna
    The Clash - Combat Rock
    The Beatles - 20 Greatest Hits
    The Beatles - The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl
    Yaz - Upstairs At Eric's
    John Lennon - Live In New York City
    Led Zeppelin - II (first repress)
    Led Zeppelin - III (OP)
    Led Zeppelin - IV (OP)
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (OP)
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
    Prince - "Sign "O" The Times" 12"
    Prince - "U Got The Look" 12"
    Siouxsie And The Banshees - "The Killing Jar (Lepidopteristic Mix)" 12"
    JFK - A Memorial Tribute (audio recordings of some of his famous speeches)
    Grover Sings the Blues (can't believe how much this thing sells for!)
    Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House (OP Disney release from 1964 with original inner sleeve)
    Walt Disney Productions' Mousercise (yeah, I dunno either)
    Last edited by nosurprises12; 06-17-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

  22. #6862
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Hahahaha, Grover Sings the Blues. Insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  23. #6863
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    23,030

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    I have a question about Grover Sings the Blues: is the song "Over, Under, Around and Through," a bluesy remake of the original? Cus that song is the fucking jam.

    8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

  24. #6864
    Coachella Junkie greghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    6,028

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    While walking my dog this morning I went past a framing store who also sells a lot of old music/movie signage, and from the street I could see about 300 LPs sitting on the floor. There was a copy of Music for the Masses on the front of one of the stacks, so after I got home I drove over and went home with the following for $40:

    Pet Shop Boys - Please
    Madonna - Madonna
    The Clash - Combat Rock
    The Beatles - 20 Greatest Hits
    The Beatles - The Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl
    Yaz - Upstairs At Eric's
    John Lennon - Live In New York City
    Led Zeppelin - II (first repress)
    Led Zeppelin - III (OP)
    Led Zeppelin - IV (OP)
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (OP)
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
    Prince - "Sign "O" The Times" 12"
    Prince - "U Got The Look" 12"
    Siouxsie And The Banshees - "The Killing Jar (Lepidopteristic Mix)" 12"
    JFK - A Memorial Tribute (audio recordings of some of his famous speeches)
    Grover Sings the Blues (can't believe how much this thing sells for!)
    Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House (OP Disney release from 1964 with original inner sleeve)
    Walt Disney Productions' Mousercise (yeah, I dunno either)

    Dude, yeah. Grover's always been my favorite SS character. Incredible.

    And that Haunted House record is also worth a bit of cash. I sold a copy of that a few years ago for $40.
    Last edited by greghead; 06-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

  25. #6865
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,710

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    I have the mousercise theme stuck in my head now.

  26. #6866
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    I posted about it a few days ago, but here's the link to all the CDs I'm offering for sale. If you see anything you'd like, shoot me a PM and we can work stuff out. You'd probably get them slightly cheaper from me than from a store, so go big and buy large!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  27. #6867
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,710

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    I bought way too many records today... and i didn't even have time to finish looking through one of the stores i went to.

    Svengalisghost - Vicious Circle 12"
    Brendon Moeller - Close Up 12"
    Arpanet - Inertial Frame LP
    The Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive 12"
    Vatican Shadow - Ornamented Walls LP
    Vondelpark - Seabed 2xLP
    The Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea 12"
    SBTRKT - SBTRKT LP
    Planetary Assault Systems - Remixes 12" (2012 one)
    Function - Incubation 2xLP
    Morphosis - Dismantle 2x12"
    Steffi - Yours & Mine 2x12"
    Shed - The Praetorian 12"
    Robert Henke - Atom/Document 2x12"
    Margaret Dygas - Margaret Dygas 2x12"
    Actress - Silver Cloud 12"
    Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy 12" (2012 UK reissue)
    Aphex Twin - Windowlicker 12" (2012 UK reissue)

  28. #6868
    Coachella Junkie greghead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    6,028

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    I traded a bunch of shit into Rasputin for $11.

    Jonsi - Go Out ep

    Unfortunately, I was quick to grab it and didn't realize that it wasn't actually a Jonsi single, but instead terrible remixes of great songs. Yes, a driving bass drum is exactly what should be drowning out the vocals on "Tornado," that track was so boring before. Holy shit, I fucked up on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

  29. #6869
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Deafheaven - Sunbather (red and gold vinyl) showed up today. Can't wait to listen to it on the table tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  30. #6870
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,119

    Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Deafheaven - Sunbather (red and gold vinyl) showed up today. Can't wait to listen to it on the table tonight.
    I'm hoping to pick that up at their show Saturday.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  2. The Official Why Must I Cry Thread
    By DeltaSigChi4 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. The Official 300 thread
    By brycerosen in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
  4. Official MBV rumor thread
    By poser1 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
  5. The Official OSCAR Thread
    By DanMonk in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •