Page 210 of 262 FirstFirst ... 205206207208209210211212213214215 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,300 of 7856

Thread: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Will do, thanks B!
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    It was Popmarket, but they do their things as timed deals. It's come up a few times. You should sign up for their email list though, they frequently have good deals on there. They did the Flaming Lips box set recently, which is totally worth the money.
    I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I've been tempted more than a few times. There are some user comments on the site that claim they take ages to ship things, which is a concern. Have you bought from them before?
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella Bound View Post
    Will do, thanks B!
    There's a Pearl Jam bundle up there now in the vinyl section, which may be the one you were looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I've gotten quite a few things from them. Sometimes they do take quite a while to ship, sometimes you'll get the item within a few days.

I still don't think they charged me for the Pearl Jam bundle when I bought it. I could never find an invoice for it, never found a record of it on their site, never found charges, so I assumed they didn't complete my order. Three weeks later, it showed up at my front door.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    There's a Pearl Jam bundle up there now in the vinyl section, which may be the one you were looking for.
    Yeah I found it... looks like the price dropped, or maybe its been that low. Anywho, rushing home so I dont have to order it on my work computer.

<3 this thread!!!
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

That's actually slightly higher than I remember it being, but again, I wasn't charged as far as I was ever able to find. The pressings are awesome, totally worth it.

Edit: That Bob Dylan mono box set deal they have is kind of great. If I didn't already have over half of those I would be so tempted. As it stands I'm very tempted anyway.

Edit: That Bob Dylan mono box set deal they have is kind of great. If I didn't already have over half of those I would be so tempted. As it stands I'm very tempted anyway.
    This may sound stupid but what is the difference in mono recordings exactly?

Mono means that there is no separation between speakers for the sound: each speaker is putting out the same, full recording. It mostly makes a difference for older recordings like this, which were mastered for mono and not intended to be turned into stereo recordings. You get a fuller sound out of these sorts of recordings and they sound "warmer" for lack of a better descriptor.

Oh, i see! I thought it was a negative thing for some reason.. that set looks way too appealing now. probably gonna have to snag it

Same boat. I just want those first several in mono, but I have most of them already in stereo and am too lazy/broke to get the mono cuts. I'm still smarting over that damn mono copy of Highway 61 Revisited you found at Groove Merchant way back. Since that night,without fail, I scan the facing records the moment I walk in there. Never again :-).

Truly went digging today for the first time in ages (almost two hours in one tiny store) and came away with some goods:

Sir Douglas Quintet - Best of Sir Douglas Quintet
    The Stanley Brothers - Collector's Classics (a sealed collection of stuff recorded '56-57)
    Roy Eldridge - Little Jazz (recorded in Paris in 1950, shit is smoking hot)
    Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard In My Backyard
    Last edited by greghead; 01-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Same boat. I just want those first several in mono, but I have most of them already in stereo and am too lazy/broke to get the mono cuts. I'm still smarting over that damn mono copy of Highway 61 Revisited you found at Groove Merchant way back. Since that night,without fail, I scan the facing records the moment I walk in there. Never again :-).
    Yeah, that was one hell of a find. It's the cleanest Bob Dylan record I have. NO REMORSE!

And I think that was the first time we met. Good times.

So i picked up the Pearl Jam bundle. Stupor, Ill keep you updated on how the shipping works out. B, thanks again for reminding me where it was.

Also went to vinyl solution yesterday, after work. Picked up;

David Bowie - Low
    Ahmad Jamal - Chamber Music Of the New Jazz
    Stan Kenton - Standards In Silhouette

I bought the new Django Django LP at Origami Vinyl and they are putting me on the guest list for the Fonda show. Guess they are getting into the "Buy the album, get a ticket" promo, a la Rhino in Claremont. FYI, the offer is also available with Quicksand and Pinback.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Damnit, I would have loved that with some of the records I bought last year.

The Django Django album is really good btw, good purchase.

Nick Drake's Pink Moon now has a standard (non box set) reissue.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - FYF - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Good. His albums took so much hunting to find. There was a UK reissue of Pink Moon a few years ago on 180 gram that sounds great, and there was also a limited (probably bootleg?) velvet colored vinyl reissue of Bryter Layter that I found at Amoeba. killer stuff.

SmellyBath

slightly off topic but would appreciate input. I recently started collecting vinyls and bought my player on a budget and the audio hook up sounds way better than the needle. Is there anything you guys would suggest under $300? As of now I'm going to get a TEAC for like $250 but if you could steer me in a better direction that'd be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Nick Drake's Pink Moon now has a standard (non box set) reissue.
    Details? I would love to pick this up.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyBath View Post
    slightly off topic but would appreciate input. I recently started collecting vinyls and bought my player on a budget and the audio hook up sounds way better than the needle. Is there anything you guys would suggest under $300? As of now I'm going to get a TEAC for like $250 but if you could steer me in a better direction that'd be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

SmellyBath

haha...so you'll just sit on your stoop and not help a fellow music fan? I get the snobbery of having a super high quality, expensive player but you don't have to act like I'm some idiot that doesn't know anything because I don't have the money to buy a high quality player, you know? Not even pissed just wondering what motivates someone to be so...snobby haha

I'm confused as to what you're asking for. Do you want guidance on a cartridge, a table, both?

SmellyBath

both would be ideal as right now I'm working with a piece of shit cartridge and table.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyBath View Post
    haha...so you'll just sit on your stoop and not help a fellow music fan? I get the snobbery of having a super high quality, expensive player but you don't have to act like I'm some idiot that doesn't know anything because I don't have the money to buy a high quality player, you know? Not even pissed just wondering what motivates someone to be so...snobby haha
    My comment was about pluralizing the word "vinyl" and has absolutely nothing to do with your quest for audiophile gear - chill out.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

What is your budget?
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - FYF - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

I have this and I love it. Still using the stock cartridge for now and it sounds great.

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-2-S...music+hall+mmf

~hundred bucks over your stated price range

I would steer clear of the TEAC or crowley or any of that bullshit. Liable to ruin your records with players like that

Whoops, he said $250. Honestly I would save up longer and get something better. You are going to use it a lot so might as well get something good. For $300-400 you can get a used Technics SL-1200 off Craigslist in good condition. It's built like a tank, good sound, and has had and will continue to have excellent resale value (they don't make them anymore and they are popukar with DJs so the demand is there)

Then I'd say spend $100 or so on a new cart. I like high output MC but thqt's a matter of preference.

The table ods suggested is also a well-respected budget table.

HUGE thanks to bballarl for:

Gun Club - Miami

Nice. Next time I come down I'll have to bring my copy and we can compare. I have the 2000 Sympathy For the Record Industry reissue with a different mix. Lots of people seem to hate the original mix, but an equal number seem to hate the reissue. I'm interested to see the sound difference.

You've piqued my interest too - what don't people like about the two different mixes?