Page 264 of 265 FirstFirst ... 259260261262263264265 LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,920 of 7944

Thread: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

I have made it up to 1975 so far. I have realized that I own quite a shitload of records from the 70s. My approach has streamlined somewhat so I'm moving more quickly now. It's really wild to see what records show up together. Some things I always pictured as much later (the Byrds first release, Freak Out! by Zappa) and some things I could have sworn were earlier (Sabbath's debut.)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

My digital collection - which my computer sorts alphabetically - ends up sorted in an interesting way. I start the folder name with the artist if there is a most significant one, or the album name otherwise, such as for for compilations or soundtracks. I never liked the whole "Various Artists" deal.

I organize mine in three main sections: Jazz, Old stuff (1990 and earlier) and New stuff (1990 and later). Then I have sections for hip hop, comps, and electronic. Alphabetical in those sections.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    My digital collection - which my computer sorts alphabetically - ends up sorted in an interesting way. I start the folder name with the artist if there is a most significant one, or the album name otherwise, such as for for compilations or soundtracks. I never liked the whole "Various Artists" deal.
    Oh god, I'd never create a folder titled "Various Artists," I'm talking solely on my shelf do I have a section for comps at the end of each genre. Digitally, I do the same as you and go with the album name.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

First off, I think it speaks volumes to what dorks we are that we are discussing record-organization techniques. I think it specifically speaks to my level of dorkdom that I really enjoy reading about the ways people organize their collections and the reasoning behind it.

I've been debating whether to organize by genre for a long time. My current organization technique is a bit odd. The first section (so to speak) is records I've listened to. It is organized alphabetically, then chronologically if I have multiple releases from the same artist. Comps are at the end, and are essentially organized autobiographically, in the sense that I've never alphabetized them and just tack the newest one to the end after I listen to it.

After that is the to-listen pile, which currently takes up 3+ nooks in my Expedit bookcases. Those are organized the same way as above, alphabetically and chronologically. Some of these are records I've heard before, but I always listen to records I buy before filing them in the first section.

Next are the pieces I thought I might want to keep of two separate collections I inherited; one from a friend of my uncle's and one that was a friend's boss'. I should probably deal with these soon, as they aren't even cataloged in my collection. It's a lot of classic rock type of stuff, but quite a few are records I should probably own. Those are organized according to the same principles as above, but divided by collection because I'm OCD.

Following that is a brief section of smaller box sets organized the same way as everything else -- the more unwieldy ones are in another room.

Next is the one sort-of genre break -- I started amassing too many 12"s, so I separated the electronic stuff out. It isn't divided in genre terms within that section, though. Everything there is alphabetical/chronological, the one difference being that if I own 12"s and an album by an artist, the 12" stuff comes first (organized by chronology) followed by the album(s).

I'm glad that I could share just how compulsive I am about organizing this behemoth with the world. It could be worse, right?

I also won't shelve anything before listening to it, so I often have a few piles of records on top of my shelves. Similarly, I have a couple hundred records from my dad that I still need to listen to and process into general population.

do you guys store 10" and 7" records separately? my vinyl collection has no structured order to it at all aside from being grouped by size. I find it hard to mix them next to each other. I feel like the 7"s will get crushed.

I separate 7" but 10" sit with the 12". Sections with 10" records, however, have a lot of extra room. Pack them too tight in the shelf and the pressure difference will warp the records next to the 10".

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    do you guys store 10" and 7" records separately? my vinyl collection has no structured order to it at all aside from being grouped by size. I find it hard to mix them next to each other. I feel like the 7"s will get crushed.
    I store my 7" records in boxes. My 10" stuff is kept separate from the 12" records.

well we have clearly found the right way of sorting. first by size, then within size by weight.

bmack you had better start over again.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I store my 7" records in boxes. My 10" stuff is kept separate from the 12" records.
    I don't own enough 10" yet to warrant separating then. I think I have only four or five.

Now, since we're on the topic of odd vinyl exercises, have you guys ever gone through your collection one by one and tried to recall when & where you bought each one? I just did the whole top row of my shelf (approx. 300) and I did pretty fucking well. At least 85%.
    Last edited by greghead; 08-17-2014 at 07:15 PM.

I can peg a good majority of my collection, but I've never really gone through to see how many exactly.

It's been an interesting exercise. A lot of association with time, place, & whichever records I bought that same day.

That's an interesting idea. I should do that. Honestly, most of my musical purchases since whenever in 2006 are preserved in this thread. So that would be an easy way to fact-check. I do it partially to remind myself what to add to Discogs/my Word docs of my collection anyway.

Stopped by Atomic yesterday, although now I feel like I should have saved my money for that InSound 50% off sale!

Toots & The Maytals - In The Dark (UK 1st press on Trojan)
    Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room (US 1st press)
    Pearls Before Swine - The Best Of Pearls Before Swine (I'm not really sure why this is called a "Best of," as it's a 2LP with One Nation Underground as the first disc and Balaklava as the 2nd)
    Shaft OST
    Van Dyke Parks - Jump! (sealed)
    Dusty Springfield - Ooooooweeee!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Pearls Before Swine - The Best Of Pearls Before Swine (I'm not really sure why this is called a "Best of," as it's a 2LP with One Nation Underground as the first disc and Balaklava as the 2nd)
    Because those are his best two records!

But, that's probably because those two were released on ESP Disk before they were signed to Reprise. And, while I meant that first explanation as a joke, those are definitely the two best Pearls Before Swine records by a mile. Balaklava is so fuckin' awesome.

Edit: I wasn't aware that "Trumpeter Lamprey" was a recording from 1890, featuring a bugalist who was part of the British Army in 1854. That's some fuckin' historical music.
    Last edited by bmack86; 08-20-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Sorry I missed the sorting discussion. I have sorted CDs chronologically, down to date of release. I have also done by color, length, and alphabetical by first lyrics/spoken words, with all the instrumentals at the end.

I have never had a chance to sort my vinyl but I'm planning to do so once we get settled; it isn't even unpacked yet. Not sure how it'll go.

And my default for organizing classical is composer, followed by composition date. But yeah, some releases are just not put together that way. Honestly I find it fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    SI have also done by color, length, and alphabetical by first lyrics/spoken words, with all the instrumentals at the end.
    wow.

To be honest those were horrible sort methods. I needed a printout from Excel to put anything back for the last couple. And forget about finding anything.

I also ordered by label number once. Another useless method but at least I learned how many subsidiaries the giant labels owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Holy shit. That sounds really fun/frustrating.

Love this discussion on how you guys index your collections. So far I've just used a straight forward approach of alphabetical by artist and chronological within that artists' albums but I'm sure I only have a fraction of some of your collections. Digitally I just create folders for each artist and throw the albums into them and have it sorted alphabetically by artist.

I get more detailed when it comes to my DVD/Blu collections which are both separate and organized into sections (the exception being my Criterions which are sorted by spine number and have the DVD and Blu versions in the same area). For the rest, I have everything sorted alphabetically but in sections sorted out by case type (amaray case/steel book case/slip covers/digi-books) and by a few different classifications. For example, I have the Disney movies, single film special editions, multi-film collections, half hour long TV show seasons, hour long TV show seasons, and complete series TV shows all in their own sections.

Usually my motivation for reorganizing things is because of space issues.

I'd love to see pictures of everyone's collections.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I organize mine by wherever I put the record back last time I listened to it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Got a pretty good haul thanks to that Insound sale and picked up a couple from my local record store.

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
    Burzum - Hlidhskjalf
    Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
    Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
    Kraftwerk - Tour de France
    Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

So I found these the other day. Top copies, PRISTINE. Not cheap, unfortunately, but all you customers know I cut deals ... All interested parties should PM me for prices and details on all of them.

I resisted temptation with the InSound sale, but Best Buy is doing a pretty large vinyl clear-out as well and I just couldn't help myself; I managed to pare it down to these four, which came to $50 with the tax (free shipping on orders over $35):

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica (2010 reissue)
    Outkast - Staknoia
    Peter Tosh - Legalize It (2008 reissue)
    Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

This 10 min film is pretty cool....

The color film captures one of Tower Records flagship stores, located on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. Tower Records was founded in 1960 in Sacramento and became an international business before closing in 2006. The record store helped revolutionize the music industry. The film was made by Sacramento City College professor Darrell Forney and shows customers shopping in the store in the evening.
    https://archive.org/details/casacsh_000018

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Hey, what is the name of that shelving from ikea that's good for records? My current storage isn't working for me.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Expedit, although they may have changed the name when they changed the design somewhat?

^ They did - it's called Kallax now, which sounds like it's in Klingon or something

I've heard they aren't quite as nicely made as Expedit were. I heard that from .... Heidi, maybe? You can still find Expedit on CL for fairly cheap.