Page 259 of 265 FirstFirst ... 254255256257258259260261262263264 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,770 of 7925

Thread: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Not exactly what you are looking for probably, but besides ebay, you can buy vinyl directly from individual sellers on Amazon.
    I have actually found some rare vinyls at bargain prices on Amazon individual sellers. its been a while though. kind of forgot about that. will look into that. thank you.

EDIT: Damn..found the 40oz Sublime vinyl i was looking for on Amazon....$300 bucks though! woof
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

I think $300 is a reasonable punishment for anyone who wants to listen to Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Amy, go with the Pro-ject Debut III or if you can wait two months for shipping, the U-turn audio.
    Thanks, Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    I think $300 is a reasonable punishment for anyone who wants to listen to Sublime
    Sorry you feel that way
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Some amazon retailers set their price really high if they are unsure if they have it in stock. I guest that is easier to do until they have a chance to check rather than unlist and relist it.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurbang View Post
    So, you use distilled water and what would you wipe them down with? I guess a cloth would work.

You need a cleaning agent in solution, not just distilled water by itself. There are several options.

I use microfiber cloths to dry the records. I wash and keep them seperate from other cloths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    Some amazon retailers set their price really high if they are unsure if they have it in stock. I guest that is easier to do until they have a chance to check rather than unlist and relist it.
    Hm.......you have inspired me to send an email their way.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post

EDIT: Damn..found the 40oz Sublime vinyl i was looking for on Amazon....$300 bucks though! woof

Which one are you looking for? I found an Orange pic disk out in the wild for 30 bucks......... so yeah. I would NEVER pay 300 dollars for pretty much any record. Anything over 100 I have trouble paying it. I know that it's possible to find it elsewhere for cheaper... most likely WAY cheaper.

Picked up some good shit today at Record City in Vegas (which is 1000 times better than Zia at this point). Zia's used selection is appauling compared to what this guy has. Great selection, pretty good prices, and a lot of knowledge behind the counter. Cannot say the same for Zia lol.

Andy Summers and Robert Fripp - I Advance Masked
    Blind Faith - Blind Faith (OG US press, poor sleeve condition)
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu (original US, really nice condition)
    Elton John - Honky Chateau
    Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (UNI press with booklet)
    Love - Forever Changes (US press with butterfly label)
    Love - Da Capo (OG '66 mono, poor condition)
    Isaac Hayes - Don't Let Go
    Johnny Ace - Memorial Album (not sure on the pressing, orange Duke labels)
    Mort Garson - Electronic Hair Pieces (US press)
    Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (US, first press unipack, no postcards)
    Zappa, Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For the Money (1967 OG press!)

What records have you bought at a regular or discount price that have significantly increased in value afterwards?

This just happened to me with the least imaginable record, Ten$ion by Die Antwoord. I bought it like 2 years ago for like $10 dlls in a clearance sale and I just found out that all copies are gone and people are offering it on eBay for $100+ and on Discogs for $160+. I would have not expected that.

I also got a very decent copy of Milo Goes to College for about $5 and it looks like that could sell for $60, maybe more. But it's not for sale.

I also got one of the very few pressings of Cafe Tacvba's first album which was only pressed for Colombia (there were no editions pressed for Mexico or the US, it was 1992 and CDs where in full swing). I've gotten offers for $200 for it even though the audio quality is very poor.

Edit:

Oh, and on CDs, I have a 1st edition of Cafe Tacvba's Revez/YoSoy album which also had a very limited release because they were kicked out from their Record label. That little masterpiece in good conditions sells for $300-$400.
    Last edited by ialvarado2; 06-04-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    You need a cleaning agent in solution, not just distilled water by itself. There are several options.

I use microfiber cloths to dry the records. I wash and keep them seperate from other cloths.
    I was only wondering because the cleaning kit that Crosley sells (available on Amazon) comes with a cleaning brush and "cleaning solution" but if you look at the bottle, it turns out it's only distilled water. There's nothing else in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ialvarado2 View Post
    What records have you bought at a regular or discount price that have significantly increased in value afterwards? .
    Beck - Sea Change on MOFI lp.
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine (reissue).
    Big Star - Third [Test Pressing Edition]
    U2 - Wide Awake In Europe
    Last edited by MarkO; 06-04-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Beck - Sea Change on MOFI lp.
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine (reissue)
    Both of these.

Air France - No Way Down/On Trade Winds I bought when it came out and the fucker sells for so much now. Same with the first presses of Kanye's 808s and Heartbreaks.

I also bought Colin Meloy's first solo record, Sings Morrissey, for $5 when he was touring with it and I sold it for $125.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Off the top of my head, Loveless on red vinyl is $80-100 and I believe I paid under $20 for it.

Really regret not buying a Sea Change back in 2002. Those prices are obscene considering it has been repressed at least twice.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I was only wondering because the cleaning kit that Crosley sells (available on Amazon) comes with a cleaning brush and "cleaning solution" but if you look at the bottle, it turns out it's only distilled water. There's nothing else in it.
    I heartily recommend the Spinclean kit. $80 for everything to get you started. http://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-STA...record+cleaner

I'm sure we've talked about this before in here, but one of the used CD stores where I went to college used to price everything relatively cheaply, without regard for rarity or value. Tons of Sarah Records imports for around $5 each. Wish I'd had enough money at the time to scoop up everything they had. The stuff I did get was between $3-6 each and usually goes for $80+ now. Several hundred on some of them. I'm getting rid of my CDs but can't bring myself to sell most of those.

I forgot, but I also found a copy of The Promise Ring - Nothing Feels Good in the dollar bin at Amoeba a few years ago. It has the inserts and is in really good condition, and apparently it's never been repressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So, you use distilled water and what would you wipe them down with? I guess a cloth would work.

I've noticed that a few recent LPs I've purchased have skipped, even on first plays (Tune-Yards, St. Vincent) but it looks like there's a bit of residue on the surface, maybe left over from packaging or from the production process. I know it would probably play a lot better if it was cleaned first.
    It could also be that you don't have enough weight on the stylus. Check that out, one new record skipping is an anamoly, two or more skipping is likely a minor problem with your table.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Nice. That's the one Neil record I own that I've never seen in a store. But I got that baby off eBay for 99 cents
    I've only seen this record out in the wild once and I snatched it up so fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

What records have you bought at a regular or discount price that have significantly increased in value afterwards?
    I haven't really checked values, but I would assume some of my Boards of Canada stuff--but I play it too often to be valuable on the market. Bought some SunnO))) which has gone up.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Which one are you looking for? I found an Orange pic disk out in the wild for 30 bucks......... so yeah. I would NEVER pay 300 dollars for pretty much any record. Anything over 100 I have trouble paying it. I know that it's possible to find it elsewhere for cheaper... most likely WAY cheaper.
    Good lookin out. I appreciate that. The problem with those picture discs is they made about 4 or 5 different ones for that album, and each one has different tracks on it. I am looking for the double gatefold 2XLP that has all the songs on it. oh well. Maybe one days. Thanks again.

I forget what record store it was, but I recently went to a random one in the valley and scored Horse The Band's Pizza vinyl in mint for $20. cardboard pizza box and all

Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral (bought for $20-30)
    Aphex Twin remix of "Falling Free," a Curve song ($10)

I think those are probably worth a lot more, but I have not looked into it.

Oh yea, Pretty Hate Machine's original pressing has apparently become fairly valuable. We finally opened my copy at a record club a couple of years ago

NIN - Fragile
    MArs Volta - Frances the mute
    Homework - Hudson Square EP
    Move D - Workshop 13

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I'm sure we've talked about this before in here, but one of the used CD stores where I went to college used to price everything relatively cheaply, without regard for rarity or value. Tons of Sarah Records imports for around $5 each. Wish I'd had enough money at the time to scoop up everything they had. The stuff I did get was between $3-6 each and usually goes for $80+ now. Several hundred on some of them. I'm getting rid of my CDs but can't bring myself to sell most of those.
    Aaron's Records in Hollywood was like that. Their used department was small, and you had to dig, but it was worth going for an hour several times a week because everything like $3-6 and they constantly changed their selection. I really miss that place.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Figured I could post this here since it does deal with vinyl--sort of. Got the update today for the "lost" Caustic Window album by Richard D. James. The vinyl is being sent over for ripping this weekend. Did anyone contribute to the Kickstarter? Looks like all sides are going to win here. I paid my $16 and look forward to see what will happen. Anyway, e-mail update #5 below.

Project Update #5: The Record Is On It's Way To The Studio That Will Do The Ripping!
    Posted by James E. Thomas ♥ Like
    Good News, Everyone! </farnsworth>

The vinyl record is on it's way to the studio to be ripped, so it's not much longer until we all finally get to hear the Caustic Window LP!

I suspect by Monday, 9 June or so we should have word how the process went, and at that point I should be able to give you an update on when the emails will go out with the vouchers for your digital download codes. This will most likely happen sometime next week.

As mentioned previously, you will be able to download the Caustic Window LP in FLAC, AIFF, and MP3 formats (all of them - you don't have to choose!) with your voucher code. Please note the voucher code will be for a one-time use and will expire after you download the record in the different formats.

If you purchased it via Kickstarter or PayPal, you will get the email at the same time as everyone else - and an announcement will be made here that the emails have been sent. The email addresses we will send to are the addresses you used to back this project on Kickstarter, or the email address you used to purchase it via PayPal.

Also watch for other exciting announcements - more to come!

LP:
    Sir Richard Bishop - VDSQ - Solo Acoustic Volume 8
    Eagulls - Eagulls
    Bill Orcutt - VDSQ - Solo Acoustic Volume 10
    Anthony Pasquarosa - VDSQ - Solo Acoustic Volume 7
    Aaron Sheppard - VDSQ - Solo Acoustic Volume 9
    Twin Peaks - Sunken

Picked up Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal on vinyl this weekend. For what it's worth, there's a download code inside, even though it's not mentioned on the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Oh yea, Pretty Hate Machine's original pressing has apparently become fairly valuable. We finally opened my copy at a record club a couple of years ago
    Yeah we did, and it was fucking glorious. I'd never heard NIN sound like that before.

Picked some gems from the clearance bins. Not bad:

Ahmad Jamal Trio - S/T
    The Kinks - Greatest Hits (Canadian best of comp on Marble Arch)
    Velvet Underground - 1969: VU Live
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Sneaker Pimps - Roll On 12"
    Sneaker Pimps - Post Modern Sleaze 12"
    Sneaker Pimps - Sick 12"

I noticed Amoeba got the new GusGus LP a few weeks early. They were $25, i'll pick it up next time I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Portal - Vexovoid (black) LP

Got the second Chelsea Wolfe/King Dude split on splatter vinyl. Looks very cool. Didn't think I'd ever get it because it's $50-70 on discogs, but they were selling them at the show last night.

Ordered Neil Young - After the Gold Rush and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere today.

And...U-Turn audio finally shipped my new turntable. Now I need to get some good speakers before it arrives.
    Last edited by Boourns; 06-12-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale