Page 258 of 264 FirstFirst ... 253254255256257258259260261262263 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,740 of 7917

Thread: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Default Re: Official CD/LP purchases thread

Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

I got an 7" RSD 2014 from Jackpot Records of a portland professional wrestler doing psych rock album named Beauregarde. The label says its Greg Sage first recording but the guys at the record store said it was only on the 12".
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Warpaint - Warpaint
    Wye Oak - Shriek
    The Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Phosphorescent Harvest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Anyone own a microfiber brush/cleaning solution kit? I just got one from vinylstyl and man, that shit really gets your beater records playing much better. Sure, it won't fill scratches, but I've had a copy of the White Album for close to a decade that I rarely play because it was so coated in dust and grime from my co-worker's garage. I cleaned it tonight and it sounds incredible! Very few pops, the clarity of the songs jumped by a huge amount, and there is a distinct lack of static hiss now.

If you are a record nut and don't have a cleaning system, I can't push you towards it highly enough. I'm going to brush every record now before I play it. I used to use a microfiber rag, but this is so much more focused and easy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I have a Spinclean and do a batch of 20 or so records at a time. I then resleeve the records in clean inners.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Warpaint - ashes to ashes 7" on red vinyl
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Anyone own a microfiber brush/cleaning solution kit? I just got one from vinylstyl and man, that shit really gets your beater records playing much better. Sure, it won't fill scratches, but I've had a copy of the White Album for close to a decade that I rarely play because it was so coated in dust and grime from my co-worker's garage. I cleaned it tonight and it sounds incredible! Very few pops, the clarity of the songs jumped by a huge amount, and there is a distinct lack of static hiss now.

If you are a record nut and don't have a cleaning system, I can't push you towards it highly enough. I'm going to brush every record now before I play it. I used to use a microfiber rag, but this is so much more focused and easy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I have a Spinclean and do a batch of 20 or so records at a time. I then resleeve the records in clean inners.
    I just recently picked up a MoFi microfiber brush that I love. I've had cloths and stuff before but I always seem to never use them/lose them. This brush I really like because I can tell the grooves are getting clean. It's also able to wet-clean but I haven't tried that.

I've definitely been looking into the Spinclean. Seems like the best option if you can't spend money on a legit VPI or something.

Yes, I have one of these and they work great but I use a microfiber most times because the discwasher is well-used and kind of worn down in some spots. And my needle actually has a little brush on it that sweeps up dust out of the grooves before the needle passes through. Even "clean" records yield a decent amount of dust.

Yea, the microfiber brushes work fine for wet washing. I've bought a lot of used records, and even the ones that didn't look to be in great shape played pretty well after being cleaned. I just did them in the sink (lined the sink with a towel so I wouldn't cause any damage), blotted with a microfiber towel, then laid the records out on a table on top of clean towels to make sure they were completely dry.

Really tempted get a Spinclean after I move... have all my records in re-sealable sleeves but suspect there will be dust regardless.

Does anyone have a good record PLAYER recommendation? I am in the market for one.

Well, I really like the one I got which was recommended by boardies -- the Pro-ject Debut III. They are usually priced between $300-400. I think it sounds pretty good for that price range. I added a Speed Box to avoid having to manually change the belt when switching between 33rpm and 45rpm but that is a "nice to have" not a necessary. Also bought a better platter which helped a lot.

Used is definitely the way to go though, I just wasn't having luck finding reasonably priced used ones.

I wet-wipe & dry just about every record before playing it now. Remember folks: always wipe counter-clockwise out towards the edge.

Amy, there are a number of factors to consider. What is your budget? New or used? Do you have an amplifier or a receiver with a dedicated "Phono" input? If you answer no to the last question, then you'll also need to factor a pre-amp(lifier) into your budget.

Hmmm, I think everything is hooked up through my TV, so I don't think there is a dedicated input. My budget? Maybe $200 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Warpaint - ashes to ashes 7" on red vinyl
    More details plz.

Info:
    http://www.discogs.com/Warpaint-Sist...elease/2443796

They also played it live at Primavera. And I wasn't there. Wah.

9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

does anyone know of any other online used vinyl sites other than discogs or gemm?
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nocturnal Wonderland Saturday, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl, Festival Supreme, Coachella 2015

Just pre-ordered the new Jenny Lewis album "The Voyager" on vinyl through Amazon. It's on her site for the same price, but they want $7-8 for shipping.

I was hoping the new Sia would be out on vinyl but apparently it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hmmm, I think everything is hooked up through my TV, so I don't think there is a dedicated input. My budget? Maybe $200 or so.
    $200 is tough.

Here is one to get you started but that's it; it's a starter. http://echohifi.com/details/5521/Audio-Technica_AT-LP60

I have a Pro-ject Debut III

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    does anyone know of any other online used vinyl sites other than discogs or gemm?
    Not exactly what you are looking for probably, but besides ebay, you can buy vinyl directly from individual sellers on Amazon.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Found this one in the bins yesterday ..... my Ditch Trilogy is complete.

http://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-To...elease/1273539

What are some of your recommendations for liquid cleaning your vinyl LPs? Should I use a distilled water, regular water, or would some other form of liquid be better?

Distilled water. Buck per gallon up here.

LP:
    Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
    I looked for this today and it seems none of my local shops carry it.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I looked for this today and it seems none of my local shops carry it.

He self-released it.

Edit: Amazon had it listed through their stores, so I just bought that and Fucked Up - Glass Boys.
    Last edited by bmack86; 06-03-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Amy, go with the Pro-ject Debut III or if you can wait two months for shipping, the U-turn audio.

Grabbed the new Lykke Li and a King Dude/Chelsea Wolfe split.

Edit: and the new Nick Waterhouse single
    Last edited by Boourns; 06-04-2014 at 09:42 AM.

He self-released it.

Edit: Amazon had it listed through their stores, so I just bought that and Fucked Up - Glass Boys.
    Thanks for the tip. Purchased.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

Distilled water. Buck per gallon up here.
    So, you use distilled water and what would you wipe them down with? I guess a cloth would work.

I've noticed that a few recent LPs I've purchased have skipped, even on first plays (Tune-Yards, St. Vincent) but it looks like there's a bit of residue on the surface, maybe left over from packaging or from the production process. I know it would probably play a lot better if it was cleaned first.

Found this one in the bins yesterday ..... my Ditch Trilogy is complete.

http://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-To...elease/1273539
    Fuck yeah dude. That's what I'm going to look for tomorrow. Plenty of Neil I don't have but that one stings. On the Beach and Ragged Glory too.

Nice. That's the one Neil record I own that I've never seen in a store. But I got that baby off eBay for 99 cents, along with Having Fun With Elvis On Stage, his live spoken word album.